- Text Size +




CHAPTER 2

“Good evening, Shaira.”

Shaira smiled as she glanced at the bellman who greeted her at the lobby. “It’s good morning, Jenkins. How’s your son?” She asked as she pressed the buttons and waited for the elevator. Almost everyone in the hotel knew her, if not as the owner’s grandchild, it was as one of their work colleagues.

“He’s fine. It’s only a minor fever.” Jenkins replied. The elevator reached the ground floor and opened before them.

“I’m glad to hear that.” They stepped inside. “By the way, did my brother come home?”

“He’s here after he took his wife at the airport. Your grandfather is at the penthouse too.”

“Right now?” Shaira’s eyes widened. She stared at the elevator as it closed before them. She feels nervous just at the mere thought of facing her grandfather. He made her known that he didn’t like her and Kevin, her older brother.

“He came straight upstairs after the president’s visit yesterday. Of course, you’re too busy at the kitchen to even know everything. Everybody was tensed when the owner is in the house, you know. We’re like under surveillance when Mr. Lucas is here.”

“I know the feeling,” Shaira muttered. Why didn’t her grandfather just go home to the Hamptons instead? The elevator reached eight floor and Jenkins bid goodbye to her. Once she’s alone, she had the urge to press any button to prevent it from reaching the penthouse. She lives there with Kevin and his wife. She didn’t tried looking for another place to stay for many reasons, mostly because of her grandfather.

First, she didn’t want to use the trust fund she received from her deceased grandmother to start on her own. She knows that part of the money from her generous grandmother was from her husband. She didn’t want to use anything that came from Lucas. She decided to work and the money she’s trying to save will be used to pay for an apartment she’ll be renting soon and something to start for herself. She even refused to accept a suite that her grandfather has offered to her. She didn’t want to owe anything from him. So right now, she needs more time to get everything settled. She wanted independence and not from her brother, but from their grandfather.

Second, Kevin asked her a favor to stay a little longer with him. His wife, Kristin, just had a miscarriage and needs her companionship every now and then. The couple appreciates her presence in their home and for that, Shaira knew that she cannot refuse the only family who accepted her. Their parents died many years ago in an accident. And from that, they learned that their mother was a daughter of a powerful businessman in New York. Laurice Chrysler ran away from her father when he opposed her choice of a husband. Ivan Richardson is a poor merchant of whom she met in Lexington and she fell in love with. At the death of their parents, a lawyer arrived in their house in Kentucky and brought them to New York. They never thought that it will forever change their lives.

Others thought they were fortunate. But as she started living a wealthy life, she never felt close to being lucky. Lucas, unlike other grandfathers, was a very indifferent one while his wife, Johanna, was a loving grandmother. Shaira was closer to her grandmother and when Johanna died of heart attack, she knew she’s on her own starting that day.

She knew she is alone from then on.

The elevator dinged and opened at the topmost floor of the hotel. Her heart beats faster and exhaled deeply as she stepped out. There was silence at the corridor. As she walks near the door, she heard faint voices of people talking. Before she reached the knob, the door opened before her and her cousin, Romina, stood there.

“Finally, you’re here.” Romina smirked and looked at her from head to foot. Her ever-glamorous cousin opened the door wider and Shaira saw Kevin and their grandfather standing by the large glass windows.

“Why are you here?” Shaira asked quietly. Her cousin disliked her since the first time they met years ago. The feeling is mutual anyway. And Shaira will never forget what Romina has done last year. She took the freedom from her when she thought she can finally be free from her grandfather’s manipulations.

“Business matters, something you’re not competent with.” Romina retorted in a low voice. She always saw her as nothing but a stupid cook in the hotel’s kitchen. Before, she can make Shaira feel worthless but she got over it. Shaira will never let Romina make her feel inferior again. She watched as her cousin walked towards their grandfather, announcing Shaira’s arrival.

Shaira saw Kevin giving her a warm smile. She likes her brother so much. No matter how far their age gap is, Kevin has been the nicest brother one could ever have. She’s still thankful to have him there. Lucas, on the other hand, faced his granddaughter. “Your shift ended two hours ago.” He started. “What took you so long?”

“I still have to do some paper works before I leave.” Shaira replied. “How are you? What brings you here?” She asked in an almost-cheery voice. Romina raised an eyebrow on that as she busied herself pouring some scotch whisky on the wine goblets.

She got used to trying to gain his affection but always failed. It’s true, she didn’t want anything to do with him but she couldn’t deny that Lucas is still her grandfather and still have to respect him. And deep down inside, she still wanted to please him, to be acknowledged as his granddaughter which is something she longed for since she’s young.

“I’m tired to consider traveling late last night so I stayed over.” Lucas replied. He turned back to Kevin. Shaira knew that she’s been dismissed. She started to retire to her bedroom.

“Did you already know?” Romina asked, following her behind. When Shaira didn’t reply, she continued. “Howie is getting married and he invited us. Do you know what that means? We’re going to see Nick again because he’s going to be part of the entourage.”

“Do you really have to say that?” Shaira rolled her eyes. “Look, Romina. Nick is yours. You can go to hell together.” She stood face to face with her cousin when she reached her room.

“Sure, my pleasure.” Romina chuckled. She’s probably there only to taunt Shaira about Nick. Well, Shaira is not going to give her the pleasure of knowing that she’s still fuming from what she did to her last year.

“I’m glad you’re happy.” Shaira said with a fake smile.

“You are?” Romina raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, right. So, are you coming?”

“Of course. Howie is a friend and it’s his wedding day.” Shaira watched as Romina left her room and slammed it shut when her cousin is gone.

~~~



After a few hours rest, Shaira is ready to work again for her shift in the kitchen. After preparing herself for everything, she went out of her room and expected that she’s the only one left in the suite. Kevin is most likely in the office for his work as Marketing Director the hotel while their grandfather and Romina must have left already. But to her surprise, Lucas is still there. Shaira found him reading some documents on the long table in front of him.

“Grandpa. I thought you’re already gone.” Shaira bit her lower lip as she consciously puts some food in the microwave for her lunch.

Lucas looked at her over his reading glasses. “I’m waiting for you.” He watched her takes time with her food.

“Oh.” Shaira prepares her food and set it aside. She went to sit down where Lucas is patiently waiting for her. “Is there something you wanted to say?”

“I want you to get married.” Lucas said without preamble.

Shaira tried to smile although she was surprised. She’s also starting to panic, knowing that her grandfather always had hidden agenda up on his sleeve. “Oh, but I don’t even have a boyfriend yet, grandpa. That’s impossible.”

“I have someone arranged for you.” Lucas said in a cold tone, like he’s talking to a fellow businessman and not to his granddaughter. Her grandfather is old but he never lost that commanding and overpowering aura he possessed and always scares her. But she’ll never let him have his way in controlling her life now. Marriage is a very big step to ever consider it.

“No, no, no. I don’t like that, grandpa.” Shaira stood up.

“Sit down.” Lucas commanded her.

But Shaira ignored him. “Why are you doing this, grandpa? I don’t want you arranging something like that for me.” Her brows furrowed. Where’s Kevin? Did he know about this? She looked around, trying to look for her brother. “I have my own life now. I’m sorry, grandpa, but I don’t want to do what you want me to do.”

“Even if I arranged for you to marry Nick?”

“What?!”

That’s ridiculous!