- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: When Shaira saw Nick, it occurred to her why is he with another woman and he didn't do anything when he saw her. She knew that it was her husband and it hurts her to see him with another woman while she is trying not to lose her mind thinking that he's already gone.
Meanwhile, Nick got home feeling so heavy after he saw Shaira. There's a different feeling when he saw her and it surprised him to realize that she excited him. He had another shots of headache and visions in his mind and he passed out after that.







CHAPTER 20






Shaira felt she never came close to the things she wanted the most. All she wanted is a simple and happy life but it didn't come easy for her. Her parents died in a car accident which left her and Kevin orphans in such a young age. Their wealthy grandparents on their mother's side may be the ones who raised them, but she never felt the love and comfort she longed for as a child. She grew up in a rich society where hypocrisies and scandals were everywhere and she didn't like it. She's a country girl at heart and she longed for the peacefulness of Lexington. She was never used to this life that was given to her by their grandmother.



And then she met Nick, who brought hope and life back to back to her. Days were brighter with him. She thought that there will be no problem at all but her grandfather learned about Nick and he was strictly against their relationship. Along with Romina's interference, she chose to break up with him and they never saw each other again until a few months ago when the company was in trouble and circumstances called for Shaira to marry Nick.



Things would have been better and she thought that she already had the thing she wanted the most: love and happiness with Nick. But the accident happened and Nick was missing. And now she found him here in LA, walking away with another woman. That really hurts and that was so unfair. She could still remember the way he held that woman's waist and walked out of the bookstore. How could he do this to her?



Silently fuming, she adjusted her sunglasses as she walked inside Frances' boutique. She found her best friend, who is already back from her lunch date with some advertising guy in a nearby building. She glanced at her watch. She's late for almost three hours now. After that incident at the bookstore, she wandered around the street to clear her mind but it didn't help. "Uh, I'm sorry for the tardiness." She just said and went behind the counter.



Frances saw her mood and instantly knew that something is wrong. "It's okay. What happened?" Shaira shakes her head and only smiled in reply, but Frances knew better. "What happened?" She pressed once more.



Without any word, Shaira ran towards the store's stockroom. Frances followed behind, after giving her store clerk the instructions to take over. She found Shaira crying on a corner and she instantly knew what's wrong. Only Nick can turn her best friend like this. "I…I saw Nick, at the bookstore. He is alive and a woman was with him." Shaira bit her lower lip. "He…he just looked at me in a different way like he doesn't know me."



"Nick is alive? And he's with another woman?" Frances exclaimed a curse. She bents down and gathered her best friend in her arms. "Oh, Shaira…" Her friend welcomed the embrace. "If I can only go where he is right now, I'm going to smash his face until it goes down to nothing. I'm going to bang his head against the wall –"



"I can see the picture." Shaira said. "I knew it was Nick that I saw. It just puzzles me why he didn't even talk with me. He just stared at me."



"What could have happened to him?" Frances wondered.



Shaira sighed and shrugged. "I don't know but I need to see him again. I need to talk with him and get things straight on what happened to him."





~~~





"Aaah!"



Nick opened his eyes and stared at the blackness of the room. Sweat is dripping down his face and he could feel the moist in his body. His breathing ragged. It was only a dream. He stood from the bed and went to change his shirt. While wiping the sweat off his body, he tries to recall his dream.



His hands reached out to cover another hand: silky, smooth hands that hesitated to be touched first before finally giving in. It felt warm against his. There's a wedding ring on the finger and he smiled. He looked at the person and he saw Shaira. They were sitting together in a small restaurant and there was a smell of delicious Italian pasta in the air, but his mind was on her. He pulled her into his warm embrace.



"It's all in the past. God knows how I missed you so much, Shaira. I'm sorry, too." Nick bents down to kiss her lips. "You're not going to work in his company and I'm going to take you away from him. I'll take care of you and you will be free to do whatever you want, away from his control. I love you, Shaira. You are mine and no one is going to harm you or take you away from me."



Nick wiped her tears and kissed her fully on the lips. "I love you, too, Nick. Let's start something new." Shaira said as she was wrapped in his embrace. They went silent for a while again, savoring the feeling of being back to each other's arms.



"We will. I promise, Shaira."



And then the next scene he saw, he was swimming at sea when a sudden change of currents hit him. A large school of fish further washed him away. He lost control over himself and felt someone grabbing him by his waist. He could feel the waves sweeping him in his helpless motion. He struggled for freedom from the tight grip, but with panic and fear, he lost his strength to fight. He remembered his oxygen mask was taken off. He called for Shaira and then his vision went black.



It wasn't a dream. It all happened before. It was a flashback. He was in Australia with his wife when it all happened. Why do Shaira keeps on flashing in his mind? He sighed and went to the bathroom to take a shower. A few minutes later, he went out and ready to find the answer to the questions that keep on bugging him.