- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Kevin and Kristin fortunately found a way to get a flight to LA and met Nick again. They talked about what happened to him and what is Errol's possible plans to get him away from his wife. Nick is getting confused.
CHAPTER 25





Nick shakes his head, trying to ignore his impending headache. He grabbed his jacket. "I have to go." He quickly walked passed them. Shaira followed behind.



"Nick…"



"I need space to think about it, Shaira. I'm confused." Nick said as he continued on his way but he stopped when he reached the door. "I'm sorry, Shaira. I told you earlier that I should stay with you but I think I need some time alone for now."



"Don't leave, please." Shaira cried. She followed her husband out of the house. The others quickly followed behind, watching them. "Nick, I love you. Let me help you." Shaira grabbed his arm and held him back.



"Let go of me, Shaira. This is good for both of us. I need some time alone to think about everything." He turned to her. There's a smile on his face but there are also tears trailing down his cheeks. He cupped her face and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "This is hard for me, too."



"Shaira…" Kevin called for his sister. They watched as Shaira let go of Nick's arm and her husband walked away. Kevin went to pull her sister to him and embraced her. Shaira just kept on crying, never knowing when will this nightmare end.





~~~







Daphne arranged her sunglasses as she watched Shaira walking with her pregnant sister-in-law across the street towards her best friend's boutique in downtown LA. Where is Nick? Since he left, Daphne never heard of him. Errol was always out, too, trying to look for Nick as well. The man just disappeared and no one knew his whereabouts. Daphne wanted to see Nick and in just a short time of being with him, she was drawn into his irresistible charm and wanted to meet this woman of whom she knew is Nick's wife. Now that she saw Shaira, it's no wonder why Nick would never forget even an inch of a memory of her. By the looks of her, Shaira seemed to be a wonderful woman. Daphne felt that. And Shaira is a lucky woman to have Nick.



Daphne was just caught in a trap at the time when her own father gave her up for a poker game. Her father lost so much in one night but Errol had ways to lure him into playing, at least one last time. Another game was played but this time, she was placed in a situation she had no choice. Errol won the last round and Daphne was obligated to follow what he wanted. Daphne had known Errol since they were young and she didn't like the man that he had become. He became ruthless, coldhearted and selfish. When he told her that she needs to marry his twin brother, she protested. But Errol reminded her that if she didn't do what he wanted her to do, he'll do something to her father and to their family that she might regret. Daphne saw the evil glint in his eyes at that moment. Daphne had no choice but to follow. He won her on the poker game anyway. He owned her.



She walked across the street towards the line of boutiques. She wanted to meet Nick's wife, get to know the person that is Shaira. Without any second thought, she walked inside. She needs to do this, if not for her, for Shaira's sake. She could feel that Errol is planning something for Nick. He is crazy when he confessed that he only wanted his twin brother for himself and no one is going to separate them again. A sane man wouldn't like that for his own brother.



"Excuse me, hi," Daphne started as soon as she gets near the two women. The pregnant woman looked at her with her wide smile. She heard that Shaira's sister-in-law is a cheerful and kind woman. Shaira, on the other hand, turned to her with a questioning and recognizing look.



"Yes?" It was Kristin.



"My name is Daphne. I came here to talk with you, Shaira." She looked at the other woman eye to eye. "It's about Nick."



Shaira looked at Kristin then back to her. "I believe we need to go to a place where we can talk nicely. How about having lunch with us?" Kristin asked.



"That would be fine." Daphne smiled. "Don't worry, Shaira. I'm a friend."



They ended up in a restaurant who serves Italian food, which reminded Shaira of Nick once again. She fought herself from crying again. "What is it that you want to talk about with me, Daphne? You're the woman I saw the last time with Nick."



Daphne drinks her glass of water first before replying. "You already knew that he was with Errol Henstridge. Errol is his twin brother, fraternal twin brother. They don't exactly look alike but DNA tests proved that they are blood-related. I'm a witness to that." She saw the two looked at her with full intent. Yes, she caught their attention. "When Errol found his brother, I was in a grave situation at that time when I had no choice but to follow what Errol wanted me to do. My father gave up on me in a poker game." She said it nonchalantly but deep inside, thinking about it still hurts. She hates her father for that. "Errol ordered me to marry Nick, taking advantage of the fact that he's in amnesia and couldn't remember that he's already married. I'm sorry, Shaira, for putting him in that position but you must also know that Nick cancelled our wedding because he is confused. I know that. He kept on remembering a woman with brown hair and a charming smile. I heard him say that before. He may have amnesia but his heart will never forget you."



Shaira bit her lower lip. "I don't know what to say. He walked away from me from the last time we talked." She blinked twice to keep the tears from falling.



"He went to you? He found you?" Daphne asked softly. "He didn't go home to his brother's house. He's been missing for days."



"So, what brings you here?" Kristin asked Daphne as she placed a hand over her sister-in-law's.



Daphne sighed. "You may be wondering why I'm doing this but I came to tell you to be careful with Errol. He's crazy and he just wanted his twin by himself. He planned the incident in Australia, to take away from the life he got used to. The crew in that boat was his hired men. It's a bonus that when Nick almost got drowned, he lost his memory. That makes things easier for Errol but now that Nick is missing and things seem to get out of hand, he is going to take his brother away for good. He secured his brother's future life by being a major stockholder in your grandfather's company, even more when he married you. Nick is now one of the owners of the Chrysler Hotels. Errol wanted a new life for Nick, away from the life he used to and a new life with his brother here in LA." Daphne said. "With Nick missing, I'm sure Errol planned something to get rid of the people who are blocking his way, including you, Shaira. I came here to warn you. Be careful."



"We need to warn Nick, too." Shaira said.



"But we don't know where he is." Kristin said. The three women looked at each other. Daphne bit her lower lip, hoping that she did the right thing now. She wanted to be free from Errol and his evil schemes. He can be very dangerous and she doesn't want to be part of any of it. She wanted to live in peace.