- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Lucas was diagnosed with liver cancer and his grandchildren found out that he's already dying. It also reached Errol's knowledge and was glad that the turnabout of events saved him from his plans for Lucas and his family. His remaining concern now is Nick who surprisingly came into his office and confronted him. Apparently, it seems like Nick could remember now and he is angry at his brother for doing things that may ruin his marriage with his wife.
CHAPTER 27





Lucas opened his eyes and looked around the room. He never knew what happened to him after feeling pain in his body. Right now, he knew that he's in a hospital room somewhere in the metropolis. No one's there but him. It didn't surprise him though. He knew that he's never a good man. He made several enemies in the past and he will not expect anyone caring to visit him in this time of his life.



He didn't even bother telling his family about his sickness, or that he's going to die soon. He already arranged the necessary legal documents to his lawyers. That's all they want anyway: their inheritance.



The door opened and the first thing he saw is the bunch of flowers. He frowned. He saw Shaira coming inside, followed by her brother, Kevin, and his wife, and Marc. "There's no need to do that. I'm dying and I already arranged your inheritance. I already finalized the will to my lawyers. Whatever you do, it will never change."



"You're always a cold man. I couldn't imagine grandma lived her life with you." Shaira said as she sets the basket of flowers at the bedside table.



Lucas snorted. "You're very ungrateful, Shaira, after all that I've done for you."



"I didn't go here to argue with you. I have so much respect for the dying. And you've never done anything for me." Shaira said and went to stand by the window, switching to silent mode as she lets her brother and cousin talk to him. She wanted to see her grandfather and still hoping that they will come into good terms even before he dies. But it seems like nothing would change at all.



"I don't know what to say," Kevin started. "I mean, we just came here to see how you are doing, hoping that you're okay, but you still haven't changed."



"That's what we are hoping for, grandpa." Mark added. "As your grandchildren, we love you. We're family, that's why we are here. We care for you."



"Get the hell out of here. My will has been already made."



Kevin frowned, his jaws clenched. "Grandpa, this is not about what we'll get from you when you die. This is about family concern but it seems like you don't want it then. Fine." He takes his wife's hand. "We're leaving. Shaira..." His sister looked at Lucas for the last time and then followed him out of the room.



Marc looked at his grandfather from head to foot. "It's not a surprise if you will die alone, grandpa. It's a pity that you chose to be like this. Goodbye." He walked out of the room. He saw his cousins at the hall waiting for him. "It's hopeless, Kev."



"We've done what we could but we just can't let him die alone." Kevin said.



"I'm not staying." Shaira announced. "I must go back to LA and continue looking for Nick. I won't stay here and wait for grandpa anymore. My life is ruined because of him."



"Shaira…" Kevin tried to stop her.



"Just imagine yourself living without Kris, Kevin, and you will understand me." Shaira said and walked away.



~~~





Daphne stopped on her tracks when she saw Nick standing at her front porch, his arms on his pockets. He just looked at her, waiting for her to reach the place where he is standing. When they finally stood face to face, Nick dragged her with a look from head to feet. "Who are you?"



"Uh, Nick…"



"Errol didn't tell me about the person I was about to marry."



"You went to Errol?"



Nick frowned. "I'm asking you. Who are you?"



Daphne bit her lower lip as fear engulfed her upon seeing the anger in Nick's eyes. She's more scared of Errol's twin. She never saw this side of Nick thus she doesn't know what to do. She slowly stepped back. "My name is Daphne and I've known Errol since childhood. I only agreed on his idea of marrying you because I don't have any choice. He won me on a poker game after my father placed me on his bet when he already had nothing. I'm so sorry, Nick." Tears streamed down her face.



Nick nodded. "That's just all I wanted to hear." His voice is calm now. "Thank you. I believe you." He reached out to hug her, which surprised Daphne.



"What happened with Errol?"



Nick shrugged. "After telling him to back off, I don't care about him anymore. But if he'll come to make amends, I'll give him another chance. After all, he is my twin brother. But if he will come to destroy my wife's life or any one in her family, I will stop at nothing to get him to where he belongs. I'm going to forget that he's my twin brother."



"Shaira is looking all over the place for you." Daphne told him.



"I know."



"Why don't you go to her now?"



There was a moment of silence. Nick didn't want to reply on that. He kissed Daphne on the cheeks. "Goodbye, Daphne." And with that, he turned to walk away. When Daphne called him back, he slowly turned to her.



"I wish you well, Nick. You seemed to have your memory back. I hope you'll get the courage to go back to your wife and start a new life. You're a good man. You deserved to be happy." Daphne said. Nick only nodded and then continued on his way.



~~~





Errol looked up to his grandfather and smiled. They were silent for a long while. They couldn't find any right words to start with. Errol stood up and went to his grandfather. He hugged the older man. "I'm sorry, grandpa. I've done a lot of bad things, even the fact that I put my own brother in danger because of my anger."



Harold sighed and nodded. "I'm glad that you realized that everything is wrong, Errol. It hurts me to see you turn into like that."



Errol quickly wiped a tear. "Nick made me realize it. After beating me a number of times and talked the sense out from me, I realized how he really cared a lot for me as his brother. I felt so touched. I'm so glad that I found my brother and I should cherish it. I realize how important he is to me and I don't want to lose him again."



"So, what are you planning to do now?"



"I'll take some time off from work for a while. I'm going to Europe where I can probably search for myself, what I really want. I realize that for all these years, I just really don't know myself and what I really want. For now, I need peace." Errol drew a deep breath.



"Are you going to tell Nick about this?"



"Does he still want to see me after all I've done to him and his wife?"



Harold stared at his grandson. He can now see the change in Errol by the look on his face. His face brightened and gone were the hatred. "I believe that Nick longed for his own family and he's also glad that you found him. He loves you as his brother. He only did what he could to make you realize and wake up from your own nightmare."



Errol nodded. "I realize that, grandpa. I guess that before I leave, I have to see him and Shaira first to apologize for everything I've done."