- Text Size +


CHAPTER 3



Shaira looked closely to her grandfather. There’s something going on to make him decide on this. She had known him for a long time to know that he’s cooking up something. “What changed your mind about Nick?” she asked, obviously getting mad at any pressing moment. “You said that he’s not the one for me. You said that he won’t give me what I need. You said that –“

“I know what I said and it will never change.” Lucas interrupted her. “But in spite of that, I want you to marry him.”

“Why?”

Lucas pounded his fist on the wooden table. “No more questions! Just do what I told you to do!” Shaira stepped back. “You’re going to marry him as soon as possible. It’s going to be good for you, for him and for the company, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“I always know that everything you do is always for the company but I won’t marry Nick.”

“Yes, you will. I will see that you will.” Lucas stood up and walked to the door. “You’re not going to defy me, Shaira! You’re just my granddaughter and you’ll do what I told you to do or else, you and your brother will be left with nothing but the clothes on your back.” He didn’t give her the chance to say anything more as the door slammed behind him.

Shaira froze. How could he do this to her. Slowly, she sits down on the chair and can only break down and cry.



~~~



Shaira looked helplessly to her brother as Kevin paced around the room. She just told him about what their grandfather wanted her to do and wasn’t surprised that Kevin knows about it. “I told grandpa to think about it again. I mean, this is you we’re talking about. He just can’t get you married to someone and to all people, to Nick.” Kevin sighed. “I’m sorry, Shaira, if I wasn’t here earlier. I got a meeting and I shouldn’t miss it.”

“I understand, Kevin.” Shaira sniffed. She didn’t get to work that day and asked Dan for a day off. “What’s happening? I know something is going on but why would he want me to do such thing?”

Kevin bit his lower lip. He pondered about something for a while before he sits beside her. “Shaira, the business is on the rocks right now. But grandpa had this very big investor who wanted to have business with us and we couldn’t just ignore the opportunity. However, he also wanted to marry you but I already told him that you’re not available. Grandpa was mad when he learned that I said that. He’s willing to do everything to keep the business going even if it means marrying you off to some stranger.”

He sighed and continued. “I just wanted to protect you and so, grandpa resorted to have you married as soon as possible so that the investor would believe us and he won’t back out on his investment. We have to remain true to our word. He thought that if you’ll be married to someone else, it’ll make the investor believe that you’re already unavailable. It’s a weird proposal and we didn’t know how did he know about you or when did he saw you to even wanting you to be his wife. Grandpa can only think that you should marry and Nick is the only person he knows. I’m sorry, Shaira. I keep on thinking that I brought you in this big trouble.”

Shaira shakes her head. “Don’t say that, Kevin. Grandpa threatened me that if I didn’t do what he wants, we’ll be left with nothing but the clothes we had on. He’s a very cruel man. I don’t even know how he became our grandfather.” She hugged her brother. “Anyway, thank you for always protecting me but right now, I don’t know what to do. Do you want me to get married to Nick?”

“You know and I know that he’s a good man.” Kevin replied. “He might have done some mistakes last year but that doesn’t mean he loved you less. Romina was part of a scheme, we both know that. Grandpa wanted him out of your life and you thought Nick betrayed you. You know in your heart that he didn’t meant whatever happened but you just wouldn’t accept his reason. You broke up with him because you thought that that was your chance to please grandpa. All your life, you wanted to gain grandpa’s love and affection.” He ran his hand across her back. “You did things even though it’ll make you unhappy, just to please grandpa.”

“Who is the investor you’re talking about?”

“His name is Errol Henstridge. He’s still a young man and yet, he’s already a big time real estate businessman who is interested in our company.”

Shaira shrugged. “I haven’t heard his name before.” She sighed. “What should I do, Kevin?”

“Nick should know about this.”

Shaira bit her lip at the thought of seeing Nick again. “He probably hates me now but I’ll try to talk to him. You have a wife and you’re starting to have a family, Kevin. I don’t want you to lose what you have because of me. Grandpa will do everything to get what he wants. I guess, I have to ask Nick to marry me.”

Kevin shakes his head. “It’s alright, Shaira. You don’t have to marry just because we’ll be down to nothing. I can find something else to work or earn a living. We can leave New York and go to some place else. Kristin will understand that. I just don’t want you to do something you don’t want to.” Kevin wiped the tears from her face.

Shaira gave him a little smile. “No, Kevin. I’ll do this. For the last time, I’ll let grandpa manipulate me. But after this, I will have nothing to do with him anymore. Actually last year, I’ve wanted to marry Nick just to be free from grandpa. That’s aside from the fact that I loved him.”

“But this time is different, Shaira. We just can’t convince Nick to marry you without offering anything in return.” Kevin came into deep thinking. They grew silent for a while as they thought of anything to do. Shaira stared at her brother, feeling shy that he always looks after her for all these years. He performed the role of a big brother so well and she is very grateful of that. She saw the big eyebrows were almost connected to each other as Kevin frowned into deep thinking. He’s trying hard to end this dilemma.

Finally, Kevin looked at his sister once again. “I know what to do. Trust me, Shaira. I’ll do something for Nick.”