- Text Size +
CHAPTER 4


Nick looked around the conference room and drew a deep breath once again. What has made him step into this place once again? Oh, he remembered. Kevin Richardson suddenly called one day and he wanted to do some business with him.

He met Kevin through his friend, Howie, when he went for a diving trip in Florida. Kevin is a nice man and easy to get along with. They’ve known each other for a long while before he finally got introduced to his sister, Shaira. Nick saw the other side of Kevin, being the protective and loving big brother to Shaira. He earned Nick’s respect for that. He liked Shaira from the instant they met but it took him a long while and a great deal of confidence to ask Shaira out, considering that Kevin might interfere. But he didn’t and Nick heaved a sigh of relief.

After a year since the bad breakup, Nick was surprised to receive a call from Kevin and made an appointment for a meeting. It happened before when Kevin wanted him for a project but that was when things between them are still smooth and clean. Now, he didn’t know what to expect from Kevin.

His musings were interrupted when the door opened and Romina came in. Nick hid his frown as he watched the woman, the reason for his breakup with Shaira, turns around the long table and sits on the other end. He remained the professionalism instead and greeted her in a serious tone.

“The others will follow shortly,” Romina said with that charming smile of hers. “To give you an idea of the business proposal, it’s all about your photographs. It’s just that simple. The Marketing department needs your expertise for the new image we’re launching for our hotel chain. You will have a series of photo shoots at selected locations and we’ll pay you for every expense that will incur, from the raw materials up to the finished product. And we also have a great proposal for your exposure as a professional photographer. How would you like the offer, Mr. Carter?”

Nick gathered his jaws back from being awed. “Frankly, I understand that you’re giving me an opportunity to make a name for myself.”

“But?”

“No buts.” Nick said. He wanted to hear the rest of what the proposal is all about. He glanced when Kevin entered the room, followed by Marc, another cousin of theirs. Truly, the family runs the Chrysler Group of Hotels. Everyone who is a member of the clan is involved, even Shaira who works as an assistant chef in the hotel’s restaurant.

“I assumed that Romina already told you about the business proposal,” Kevin started after Nick shook hands with them. They all sat together by the long table.

“Have you brought your portfolio with you?” Marc asked as he sets up his laptop and opened the screen projector. Nick gave him a CD where his portfolio is. It mainly consists of his professional profile and mostly his photographs.

“We made a research and browsed on your personal website,” Kevin said. They turned to the screen projector whereas Marc did a slideshow of what is in Nick’s CD. “It’s actually great. Mr. Lucas Chrysler considered you as the first choice for the project. This meeting serves as the final turning point of either you’ll accept it or not and you’re going to be the driver of the marketing plan.”

“If you’re wondering about the pay, we’re settled on a thousand dollars for every photograph that will be hung on every Chrysler hotel,” Marc added. “And you’ll also be given a monthly salary equivalent to all the photos you have with us. Just imagine how many hotels we have and how many walls that will be used to display your work.”

“Aside from that, you’ll have the legal rights on it and we’ll arrange the necessary to our lawyers.” Marc looked at Kevin then back to him. “They will be coming shortly for this meeting. And that’s not enough. There will also be an opportunity that our guests may buy your artwork if they are interested on it. The income that will be received on that will be shared between you and the company. Of course, we’re still in business and knowing that you’re the expert in this area, we know that our patrons will be interested to have even at least one of your photos. And for the launching of our new image, you will also have your own photo exhibit on that day.” Marc continued to sell the proposal to Nick and the latter can only stare at him in amazement.

The figures he’ll earn started rolling down on his mind. Nick wanted to put up his own studio and he’s been saving long enough for it. Aside from that, he also wanted to sponsor a school where he could help children to get an education. With this proposal, he can easily get any of his plans soon enough. This is his chance. “Why me?” Nick threw the unexpected question from them.

The three looked at each other then back to him. Kevin smiled and hoping that his own plans are working. “We saw your potential, Nick.” He replied. “And your photos are full of substance that captures every moment of experience on it. We knew you then as part of the Chrysler family when you first worked for us on our previous image but this is a better opportunity and exposure for your talent. Families help each other, Nick.” Marc nodded to what his cousin is telling Nick. “We want to help you with your career, more than being the already talented travel journalist that you are, too.”

“I feel overwhelmed,” Nick said. Kevin’s mention of the word family actually sealed the deal for him. He never had one and right now, that magic word made him feel belonged. “Thank you for your kind words.”

“But?” The three almost asked in unison.

Nick laughed. “No buts. I’m taking the offer.”


~~~


Nick shook hands with the lawyers, Marc and Romina when the meeting ended more than three hours ago. They settled everything from photo shoots, expenses up to the finishing touches. Nick is excited to tell about this to Corey, his publisher in the magazine he’s working with, and Brian, his best friend. For him, his two friends were his biggest fans.

Romina gave him a knowing smile and a wink before she went out of the conference room. Oh yes. She still hadn’t forgotten about what she did last year, Nick silently thought as he followed her with an icy glare.

“I never thought that I’d see you again,” Kevin started behind him. He takes a tight hold on his crutches as he turn and stood face to face with his former girlfriend’s brother. He respected Kevin so much and he doesn’t want to be in trouble with him as much as he could. He doesn’t want to be at the end of Kevin Richardson’s bad temper too. He had one in the past and received a knock out on that which left him a swollen face for more than a week. “Welcome back to the family.” He said. Nick never knew how the words meant something more for Kevin.

Nick nodded. “Thank you.” It was all he could say at the moment. He shook hands with him then went to pick up his laptop bag and his other things. He felt Kevin watching his every move.

“What happened to you? How did you hurt yourself?”

“I had a minor accident when I was in China. I can walk but I just don’t want to hurt myself more if I get rid of the crutches. My doctor advised me to leave it by next week.”

Kevin nodded. “Anyway, I’ll see you at Howie’s wedding, too.” he added then proceeded ahead of him. He didn’t say anything more. He’s gone in an instant which left Nick wondering what could be in Kevin’s mind now that they’ve met again. Now that he’s alone, Nick finally drew out a sigh of relief.

For Kevin, who confidently walks down the hall, plan A was successfully executed.