- Text Size +
CHAPTER 5


Shaira only knocked three times and heard the voice on the other end asking her to wait. So she waited. She hasn’t set foot in Nick’s apartment for a long time since they broke up last year. It was a bad breakup and she didn’t know what to expect once Nick learn who has come to see him.

“Why are you giving me a rebooking fee when I haven’t used my ticket yet? All right, you know what? Do whatever I want. Schedule it a month from now and charge the fee to my credit card. I assume that my personal details are in your records.” She heard Nick talking to someone, probably on the phone. She also heard the clicking and fumbling on the doorknob as it slowly opened.

When it opened, Shaira saw Nick juggling on a piece of papers on hand and crutches that were supporting his weight on the other. His phone is pressed between his ear and his shoulders. He is wearing an old worn-out shirt and faded jeans. If anyone can only see him right now, they’d say that he is really worlds apart from Shaira. That is one of the reasons why Lucas didn’t approve of their relationship. He wanted a rich and reputable man for her, just like the way he wanted before with his daughter, Shaira’s mother.

“Got to ask Corey for reimbursement,” she heard Nick muttered. “Shit!” He dropped his phone as soon as he saw Shaira on the door.

They looked at each other for a while and then Shaira bents down to pick up his mobile phone and gave it to him. Nick turned his gaze away from her as he continued with his call. “Sorry. Hello? I’ll have it revalidated, probably tomorrow.” He glanced at her for a while. When the call ended, he faced her again. His blonde hair almost covers his eyes. “What brings you here?”

“I have a proposal for you.” Shaira started. “Aren’t you going to invite me inside?”

Nick can only open his door wider for her and she went inside. “This is a record. I just had a meeting with your brother this morning for a business proposal and now you’re here, offering me your own proposal too. Is it decent?”

“Don’t flatter yourself, Carter.” If he only knew, Shaira’s heart is pounding so fast from knowing what she’s about to tell him in any moment from now. He grinned and she frowned, trying to hide what those smile used to do to her senses. “I came here for a serious proposal.”

“Tell me what it is.”

“It’s actually a marriage proposal.”

There was silence for a while and Shaira fights herself from turning away from him. She held his gaze. He looked as if he’s weighing out that what he just heard from her is true. “Are you insane?” He chuckled. He went to the fridge and gets a bottle of water. He handed it to her. “You’re overexposed to heat in the kitchen. You might just need to loosen up.”

“I’m serious, Nick.” Shaira ignored the bottled water from him. “I threw away whatever pride that I have and I need you now to marry me.” And Kevin took the risk of making that proposal although the company’s status is in turmoil. Shaira insisted her brother to come up with something to blackmail Nick. She knew it’s wrong but there’s no other way now.

“What are the odds? Are you doing this to please your grandfather, again? He hates me remember?” Nick stepped closer to her.

Shaira gave him a defying look when he moved closer to her. “He is actually the one who wanted me to marry you.”

“Oh? What if I said no?” Nick smirked and turned away. He went to place the papers, the rejected bottled water and the phone he had on his desk. He’s not going to make this easy for her.

Shaira got the chance to look around his apartment. He had been the messy one and she would always clean up his place whenever she went to stay over. After a year, the clutter lessened. He seemed more organized and tidy now. There were no dishes left unwashed on the sink, books were arranged on the shelf and the throw pillows on the sofa were all in place. The old apartment looked nicer and homey. She silently nodded in approval. “Are you going to force me, huh, Shaira?” Nick asked.

“I’ll do what it takes. I heard from Kevin that you’d be in their new marketing project which will earn you quite a lot of money.” Shaira said. Nick snapped his head up when he heard her. He glared at her that sends shivers down to her spine. He never gave her that look.

“Are you going to blackmail me?”

“No, I’m just giving you options. Marry me and you’ll stay on the project. I know how much you wanted it because you’re saving up for a business you wanted to put up to.” Shaira replied. She turned to the wall to look at his framed pictures. “We know you have the talent but this opportunity only comes once so I’m giving you the options. You’ll also have the chance to leave this old apartment. You will marry me and you will remain in the project or you will be stuck in that magazine for all of your life.”

“You make it seem that I don’t enjoy working as a travel journalist. And you used to love staying in this apartment.”

“I didn’t say that but being in that magazine isn’t paying you much than you deserve. And this apartment is so old and filthy.” Shaira lied when in truth, she would trade any luxurious penthouse suites in the world if only she can stay in a cozy apartment like Nick’s. She faced him and she gasped when he was so near, she almost bumped into him. Damn those ocean blue eyes. Her defenses melt whenever she looks at them and Nick seemed to know that. “You are talented and you need this break. You need the exposure to be successful in this field you’ve chosen to. If you marry me, you’ll have it without any hassle. But if you don’t, you’ll lose it just like that.” She snapped her fingers to prove her point. She’ll congratulate herself later once she leaves the place – for putting up a brave face.

“Did you know how ridiculous and pathetic you are?” Nick said quietly as he stared at her face and down to her mouth.

Shaira held her breath. “Yes, because my grandfather wanted me to marry off to someone I didn’t want to. He wanted me to marry you and he gave me no choice. I have to do this.”

“Or else?” Nick leaned closer as if he is about to kiss her.

“That’s just between me and my grandpa. You might not believe me but you know, one of these days, it’s either his lawyers or himself will drop by to talk to you.” She didn’t make any move when he’s closer than she thought he would be. His chest is now pressed against hers and she could smell his masculine scent. She felt the wall behind her when she stepped back. She’s trapped. She closed her eyes when he tilted his head and felt his breath coming closer to her face.

It must have been a while as she waited for the kiss to happen until she could feel him no longer near. He pulled away. “Let me think about it.” She heard Nick said. She opened her eyes and found his teasing grin. Her face grew red with embarrassment. She actually expected him to kiss her and now he’s making a good laugh out of it. She pushed him away.

“I’m not yet through with you.”

“Of course. You’ll be back to hear my answer.” Nick chuckled. Feeling humiliated, Shaira walked to the door while Nick only watched her makes her way out of his apartment.