- Text Size +
CHAPTER 6


“Man, you seemed more nervous than Howie.” Shaira heard the remark and looked up to find AJ standing in front of Nick. They were at the front steps of the church and waiting for Howie’s bride to arrive. AJ is another one of Howie’s close friends and his best man. She met him many times whenever she comes down to Florida. AJ is one of the wackiest people she had ever met, apart from the serious one that Howie is. Those two were like oil and water but they were the best of friends. “Get up, kid.” AJ told Nick.

Nick did as he was told. AJ arranged his tie and smirked. “I’m not used to these big family gatherings.” Nick continued. Shaira looked away, trying not to hear their conversation but she’s just too close to even avoid it. Nick, on the other hand, has been successful ignoring her since he came almost a half hour ago.

She saw the guests arriving for the wedding and she saw how close and big Howie’s family is, as well as Amelia’s, Howie’s bride. “I feel nervous around a crowd of people especially if I’m going to be one of the centers of attention. May I skip the part of walking down the aisle and I’ll just meet you ahead?” Nick added quietly.

AJ laughed, so did Kevin, who stood nearby and watching the two. “You’re not the groom, Nick.” AJ said. “You’re not allowed to be nervous or even skip ahead of us.” Nick bit his lower lip. Shaira tried to appear nonchalant as she browsed her phone. She understands his anxiety but others cannot. He is used to being alone all his life and being around a group of people who knew each other intimidates him. It makes him feel insecure over his lack of experience of having a family. His parents died when he was too young to realize his fate and no one raised him but the people in a government shelter. He grew up working to live and poverty didn’t stop him to take his chances to do what he wants to do, to be where he wants to be. Shaira admired him for his courage.

“Thanks,” Nick muttered when AJ was finished on his tie. He walked away but paused when he saw her.

“Hi.” Shaira started to say but Nick only ignored her and turned to the other way.

“What’s the drama?” Romina asked. She’s suddenly there, standing beside Shaira.

“None of your business.”

“Hey, don’t be so cold on me.” Romina teased. “You know, Nick is just shy to approach you because Kevin is around.” Shaira ignored her cousin and walked away. She had to talk to Nick. She needs to know his answer before her grandfather arrives and see him. For sure, she’ll be pressured once again with what Lucas is planning for her life.

She wanted to scream in frustration. When will she ever have the control of her own life?


~~~


“Nick.”

Oh God, Shaira groaned silently when she heard her grandfather calling her former boyfriend. She appeared oblivious to what is going on as she continued to listen to what her seatmate is talking about. The wedding was done two hours ago and they were in a garden of some exclusive country club for the wedding reception. She tries to occupy herself by mingling with some of Howie’s relatives that she knew and tried to ignore Nick’s presence. He seemed successful in doing the same thing anyway.

“May I dance with you?” She heard Nick asking her. Her grandfather literally asked Nick to take her to the dance. The old man can actually do that. As for Nick, the words seemed to come out from his nose, clearly noting that he is doing something against his will. It sounds funny but she didn’t mind. She felt her heart race instead because she knows that Nick had his attention on her now. This is her chance to press him for his final answer.

She glanced at her grandfather then to Nick. “No problem,” she said as she takes his hand and let him lead the way to the dance floor. “You know better than to let the man get the upper hand and ask me for a dance.”

"I have no choice. Your grandfather called me and I don't want to make a scene or make him look like a fool. I have no other option and the worst way I had is to ask you to dance. Now tell me why you didn't reject me? You're always hooked around his fingers, trying to please him as much as you could." Nick said as they found the rhythm of the music along with the swaying of their bodies.

“I admit, yes.” Shaira felt him moving closer against him and she scolded herself for feeling ever so wonderful to be back in the arms that once hold her. “Where are your crutches?” She asked, trying to start some conversation.

“My feet are fine. I only had a minor accident on my last trip in China.” Nick’s hands are on her waist while Shaira held him closer as her arms wound around his neck.

“We must not continue with this.” Shaira whispered.

“Hmm…” was all Nick could say as he inhaled the soft lilac scent of Shaira’s perfume. “You know that I love this scent.” He said instead. Shaira blushed at that and thankful that Nick didn’t saw her. “The music is beautiful. Can we just pretend that we were still together, at least at this moment?”

Although surprised by his request, she liked it anyway. “That’s your favorite song, Nick.” Shaira said. “You are a rocker but you’re a softie too.”

“I know.” Nick stared at her and she could feel her heart pounding wildly. Damn those baby blues, she thought. She always loved the way he looked at her with those piercing innocent-like blue eyes. She shouldn’t feel this way. This is the man who fooled a lot last year, the one who hurt her so bad. The man she lost over her decision to choose her grandfather instead. How could she still have this intense feeling for him? Maybe it was just the place or the fact that they’re on this wedding. Everyone gets the love virus during weddings. Or maybe, she just missed him a lot. She loved him then. She felt him held her closer as his hand made her head rest on his shoulders. He softly sings in tune to the music.

You’re lovely with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft,
There is nothing for me but to love you,
And the way you look tonight.


Shaira closed her eyes. She loved that song, too. She even mentally noted before that she’ll have it on the list of songs for her own wedding. It just felt so soothing, relaxing…and promisingly loving.

With each word your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fears apart
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose,
Touches my foolish heart.


Foolish heart, Shaira agreed. She savored the moment of having Nick in her arms, even for only a short while. She missed him. God knows how she missed him but she wouldn’t hear what he had to say about what happened last year. She is thinking more of how to get her grandfather’s acceptance. If things were different and she chose Nick over her grandfather, will she be happy for whatever decision she made instead? A tear formed and she immediately held it back. She wouldn’t let Nick see that. She realized that not choosing him is the saddest mistake she has ever done so far.

Yes you're lovely, never, ever change
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it?
'Cause I love you
Just the way you look tonight.


Shaira dismissed the feeling of holding back as she relaxed herself against his shoulder. His voice still makes her soft. She loves that voice that used to cradle her to sleep, lying on his lap and forgetting that the world even existed, forgetting that she yearned for love and acceptance from the man who didn’t approve of her relationship with Nick.

With each word your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fears apart
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose,
Touches my foolish heart.

Yes you're lovely, never, ever change
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it?
'Cause I love you
Just the way you look tonight.

Just the way you look tonight.
Darling
Just the way you look tonight **


When the song ended, the spell between them ended as well. Nick pulled away from her, the softness in the eyes were gone. “We’ll get through this, Shaira.” He said one more time.

“Give me your answer and we’ll definitely get through this.” She said as another song began and more couples were dancing around them.

Nick’s hand softly caressed her face.

Shaira held her breath as she waits for his answer. She asked herself what she’ll do once he said yes. Will she feel glad? Is she going to look forward to that day when he will say ‘I do’ for her? What if he said no? Will she be disappointed? Will she cry another river of tears the way she did last year? Her minds were bombarded with questions and never realized that Nick already said his decision. She asked him to repeat it again.

“I said, alright, I’ll marry you.”




** The Way You Look Tonight – Michael Bubblé