- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Shaira attended Howie's wedding, in which Nick was also there as one of his best men. He managed to ignore her but gave in when Lucas called him and requested him to dance with his granddaughter. Nick complied, which gave Shaira the chance to press him for an answer. While swaying on a romantic song and being back in each other's arms even in a short while, Shaira pondered on how she missed him and how her decision to give him up in favor for her grandfather made her lose Nick in her life. She realized that she regretted that decision but there's no way of turning back the time now. At the end of the dance, Nick gave her his decision.

He'll marry her.








CHAPTER 7






"As what you've wanted, my granddaughter and Nick agreed on the terms that we planned." Lucas said to the man on the screen. No one knew about his videoconference meeting with their big-time investor.



Errol Henstridge smiled contentedly. "I'll come down to New York next week to witness the wedding myself. I don't want to miss it. And afterwards, we'll sit down with our lawyers for the signing of the agreement."



"Thank you." Lucas leaned back to his high chair. "I'm looking forward to our new partnership."



"The possibilities are endless once we get it started." Errol said on the other end. There were palm trees swaying behind him and Lucas figured he's probably somewhere in a tropical island, probably in the Caribbean or at the Pacific area. Wherever he is, Lucas is glad that he'll be able to comply with what this investor wished. He needs him to remain the company in his possession. No one, even Kevin, knew the real situation of the family business. If he needs to make sacrifices, including the fact that he'll make his granddaughter marry some man, he'll do it.



The businessman at the other end of the videoconference knew how to play his cards, Lucas thought. He made sure that he owned a part of the Chrysler Company by making Nick as part of the family with an offer, which Lucas would found impossible to resist. He wondered before why Errol chose Nick but the man would never tell. Lucas didn't press for more although his idea was Nick is related to this man. He didn't mind. The important thing is that the company will be safe once the wedding is done. How ironic. The man he didn't like for Shaira is going to end up being part of the family anyway but he doesn't have any choice.



"Right now, I wanted to see Nick's wedding first." Errol said again.



With that, Lucas knew that Shaira doesn't have to know that she was being used to be part of the game…that she and Nick are only part of this game.





~~~





"One last question, Shaira. Are you sure about this?" Kristin asked her sister-in-law as she pulled her aside after she finished her pictorial wearing her wedding gown. She thought no bride can be as gorgeous as Shaira.



Shaira looked at her and smiled. "I hope that after this, I'm free from my grandfather." She quietly replied. The people inside the room started to leave them alone. "You know, I always see Nick as my salvation from him. I want grandpa to accept me but I don't want him controlling me."



"Oh, Shaira." Kristin hugged the younger woman. "If you ever need me, you know where to find me. I'm so scared for you now, honey. I know Nick is a good man and he didn't intend to do what he did in the past. It was all part of Romina's scheme to pull you apart."



"I know, she's the villain in the story." Shaira sighed. "Don't worry about me. I hope you and Kevin will finally have a baby soon. I've been waiting for the little kids in such a long time."



"Shaira," Kristin drew a deep breath, "You don't have to do this for us. We can make it on our own even without your grandfather's financial support."



"But Kevin will lose his job. He wanted it so bad. Don't worry," Shaira hugged her again. "And you know that there's always divorce."



"No." Kristin looked at her. "Don't tell me about that. Nick is a nice man and I know you still have feelings for him, deep down inside that heart. Try to work it out with him and when you can't really take it, that's when you need to let go." She watched as probably hundreds of thoughts filled Shaira's mind. Poor woman. She didn't deserve to have this kind of problems when she should be enjoying her life. She truly needs her own freedom. But most of all, she needs to feel loved more than anything else. Kristin sensed that Shaira is looking far more than she and Kevin are giving her.



"Nick has changed."



"Of course, he would be. I talked to him, by the way." Kristin arranged the lace on Shaira's neckline.



Shaira looked at her sister-in-law. "What about?"



"About you. Actually, Kevin and I talked to him. We told him to take care of you. And we're entrusting you to him now that you're about to get married. He took it nicely. We also advised him to take time in sorting out whatever problems you have and just what I've told you, try not to resort to divorce."



Shaira bit her lower lip. "I can do this." She drew a deep breath and kept on repeating it like a mantra. "I can do this. I can do this."



"Of course you can. You're a strong woman. And we're just here for you." Kristin said. They turned when the door opened and Kevin peeked inside. "Get ready, Shaira." He went to hug his sister. "I love you and I'll just be here for you."



"Is he there?"



"He's more nervous than he was on Howie's wedding. You should see your groom. Brian is giving him some pointers on one corner." Kevin smiled warmly to her. Her brother is a nice person and although he might've buried the hatchet about what Nick has done to her last year, Kevin is religiously fulfilling the role of a big brother. He is giving Nick another chance the way he gives himself the time and patience to accept that his younger sister is getting married to him. "Oh, Shaira. I wished things were different."



"But it isn't. Grandpa manipulated us all." She looked at the couple. She envied their love and she wished for the same thing for her but God must have some other plans other than having the feeling of that true love. "Thank you, Kev and Kris. You gave me strength to get through this. I don't know what to do without you." She started to cry.



"Oh no," Kristin hugged her.



"I feel helpless."



Kristin looked at her husband a they shushed Shaira. "We'll just be right here, Shaira. Nick knows that we're just right here." Kevin told his sister. Damn, if only things were different.