- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: We were introduced to Errol Henstridge, the investor of whom Lucas had a meeting with. He expressed his approval on Shaira's forthcoming wedding to Nick. Lucas wondered why this man especially wanted Nick to marry his granddaughter and his speculations was that Nick is probably related to this man. He doesn't care though, as long as his company will be saved.

On Shaira's wedding day, Kristin asked her once more if she's sure about this decision. She still insisted that Shaira may not marry Nick if she really doesn't want to and she doesn't have to do this just to save Kevin and Kristin from their financial situation. But Shaira remains firm and the couple can only give her advices on getting into a married life.






CHAPTER 8






Shaira sighed in relief when she reached the penthouse suite reserved for them to stay after the wedding. She was tired and she lazily dropped herself down on the soft couch. Resting her head against the headrest, she closed her eyes for a while. She heard the door clicked and she knew that Nick is already inside as well. She ignored him. She sensed his movements and remembered his routine after a tiring day. He'll go to the bathroom to wash his face, strips down up to his boxers, brush his teeth and drink two glasses of water.



It's been a long day. The wedding started by mid-afternoon but she's already awake early in the morning. She couldn't get enough sleep ever since Nick told her that he agreed on marrying her. Thoughts filled her mind and most of it was the fact that he only married her because he wanted to remain his slot in Kevin's latest marketing project. Back then, he used to tell her that he'll marry her for love. They have dreamt a lot for their future. That was when things were good between them. Shaira couldn't help but feel sorry and sad for herself.



The wedding was a blast. It may all come in a hurry but the wedding planner organized it so well and no one noticed that it was all for the convenience of both parties. The guests believed that they were so in love. Shaira almost thought so too until Romina asked her if she could borrow Nick for a dance. Romina blew out the momentum. She's just teasing them and never got the chance to dance with Nick but after that, it's been awkward between Nick and Shaira.



"There's something I need to say right now before I go to rest," she heard Nick said somewhere in the room.



"What is it?"



"Starting tomorrow, you're going to stay at my apartment." Nick replied. "You're living with me." Shaira opened her eyes and saw Nick standing in front of her, his arms across his chest. "And you're not going to work at the hotel anymore."



Shaira's jaw dropped. Freedom, her mind quickly rejoiced. Nick gave her the opportunity for freedom when she took his own away by marrying her. She felt guilty. She blackmailed him to marry her and now, he's doing this to her. She hates the thought that she's starting to be like her grandfather, selfish and cruel. "What am I going to do then? I need to work too." She said instead.



Nick shakes his head. "Of course, you need to work but not for your grandfather's. You're going to look for a job in some other place. I don't want you working with him anymore. We don't want him interfering with us again. This is his last chance. So tomorrow, you will go home with me. I got a flight to Sydney in the afternoon." He started walking towards one of the rooms. She watched as the door firmly shut behind him.



When he's gone, she went towards her own room and locked the door. And she slowly sat down on the bed and hugged her pillows. Freedom! Nick gave her the chance to be pulled out from her grandfather's control. That is just wonderful! But can he forgive her once he learns the truth of what she did to him?





~~~





Shaira heard Nick coming to the kitchen and his steps stopped when he saw her. "What are you doing?" He asked. She glanced at him and saw his unruly hair and his sleepy eyes.



"I'm making breakfast. We have to eat before we go home." Shaira replied, avoiding his look. She still feels guilty over lying to him and using him for her own cause. She paused when she realized what she just said. Nick stared at her too. Home, it has a nice ring to it. "Uh, I mean, we need to eat. Right?" She turned back to setting down the food on the table while biting her lower lip. Nick sat on the chair and began filling his plate with his breakfast.



"Tell Dan that you're no longer be reporting on duty. I knew someone who owns a restaurant and whom I could refer you to." Nick started.



"Okay." Shaira only said as she sits down as well. "Oh, by the way, you only have one room in your apartment."



"Then you're going to share the bed with me." Nick replied in a matter-of-fact tone. "Anyway, I'll be away most of the time. When I get back, let's settle for the proper sleeping arrangements." He drinks his coffee.



"Okay," Shaira only said again.



Nick looked at her. "You're in a good mood today, huh? Getting happy with the idea of married to me?"



Yes but I'm guilty , Shaira wanted to answer but instead she said, "I'm stuck with you. Do you think I like the idea? I just wanted to see things in a different perspective because I don't have any choice anyway." With that reply, she received a frown from Nick.





~~~



Kristin saw her husband grinning from ear to ear. "What's that smile all about, huh?" She approached him with a kiss.



Kevin kissed her long and hard before forcing himself to pull away. "Nick told Shaira to quit her job at the hotel and they're going to live together in his apartment."



"Quit the job? What is Shaira going to do now?"



"She'll find another place to work. At least, she doesn't have to work for grandpa now. Nick is starting to get her out from his control. Isn't it great? Grandpa still doesn't know about this but he can do nothing when Nick decided on it. Nick won't get back on his word, I just knew him." Kevin hugged his wife. "I hope that he'll really take care of Shaira."



Kristin stared at her husband. She knew that Nick will. She can still remember the way Nick looked at his bride on their wedding day. There was a look of love on that. Nick still loves Shaira, even if he didn't tell anything about it. He still cares for her. He will stay on his word and will take care of Shaira. "But Kevin, don't you feel guilty that you blackmailed Nick just to marry your sister? He gave you a huge amount of favor when he married Shaira and he is doing this in return. Although we hope that somehow he still feels something for her, it's not fair that you did this to him."



"Kris…" Kevin bit his lower lip. "I know. I feel guilty at that but can we do anything about it now?"



"No, there's nothing to do about it." Kristin said. "I'm just thinking what Nick would do once he learned about your plans to get him. He won't like it, for sure. He may have still loved Shaira but I don't want to think of any thing worst that can happen now. Those two had enough and they deserved peace and happiness."