- Text Size +
Winter Wonderland

“Are you sure there’s no way back?”

Kevin shook his head sadly even though his wife couldn’t see his answer through the phone. He sighed, looking out of the window of the hotel room he and Brian had been forced in to getting for the night. Why? He blamed mother nature and its inopportune time to decide a blizzard was what they needed. Masses of white flakes surrounded them, coating everything in a thick layer, accumulating rapidly.

“Not unless I bundle up in several layers and make a run for it through the stuff.” he grumbled in response finally, knowing that the roads were closed. The airports were closed. Everything was closed and on Christmas Eve.

Kristin laughed softly at his answer but he could hear disappointment in the way her voice carried. He didn’t blame her, because he was disappointed as well, “That’s okay,” she replied, “Just stay safe and I’ll see you whenever you’re able to come back.”

Kevin smiled stiffly, looking over at his cousin sitting on the couch staring in to space. He too was depressed due to the situation. It was evident that the snow was putting a damper on all of their moods. Christmas was meant for family and loved ones. Not spending time half way across the country because of a last minute meeting being called to order for the group. The others had made it home safely that afternoon. He and Brian however, had been ‘fortunate’ enough to have a layover in Ohio. They still had to fly to Georgia...Atlanta, to be exact, where everybody was meeting at Brian’s this year. Well...supposed to be, that was.

“I’ll be home as soon as I can, darling.” Kevin promised his wife

“I know you will,” she stated, “I love you Kev and Merry Christmas.”

“You too, Kris. I love you.” he blew a kiss in to the phone and she giggled, saying her last goodbye before hanging up. Kevin sighed pathetically before he too flipped his cell phone closed, a distant look in his eyes.

Staring out the window one last time, Kevin decided abruptly that he couldn’t watch any longer. It was making his stomach churn in repulsive disgust. Snow. It was evil and on his top ten list of things hated most. At least, that day it was. His cousin looked to be thinking the exact same thing, as the slightly younger man had his own wife and three year old son at home waiting for him. He’d just broken the news to his small family that he wouldn’t be home only ten minutes before. It was obvious by the look in the mans blue eyes that the conversation had been tough. His own Kristin was waiting for him with Leighanne and Baylee. The rest of their families would be coming in on the actual Holiday.

“How did she take it?”

Kevin shrugged his shoulders, getting himself out of his distracted thoughts as he shrugged, taking a seat on a smaller chair across from Brian. He ran a hand through his thick, dark hair in distress. His thick brows were furrowed in utter disbelief that this was happening. He starred off in to the corner of the room where a small Christmas tree had been set. He honestly didn’t remember it being there before. Then again, he hadn’t exactly been paying much attention either.

“How’s Leigh and Bay?”

“They’re good. Baylee was crying in the background because he wants daddy home for Christmas,” Brian smiled sadly, “I hope he’s doing better now. I don’t want his day to be ruined over this.”

Kevin shrugged again, already missing his wife. This was only the second Christmas in all of the years they’d been together that he hadn’t been able to see her. Scratch that. The other time was when they’d broken up once for a short period. Therefore, if he were going to get technical, this was only their first separated. It felt absolutely horrible. He’d been looking forward to being able to hold his wife in his arms again, kissing and hugging her...lavishing up their time together because after the New Year, he had to finish up a tour and she was going to be starting filming for a new upcoming movie...

“Ohio should come with a Winter Survival Kit and warnings...” he heard Brian mutter under his breath. This caused Kevin to actually break a smile as he laughed out loud. Brian, on the other hand, was less than amused, “What? It should...instead of the Welcome signs welcoming you, they should warn you to turn around and take a longer route if you have good judgement. Or the planes should avoid this place all together. It’s ruining my life.”

Kevin laughed again, “Now you sound like Nick....over-dramatic.” Now Brian laughed, catching that he really was acting like a child. Worse than his son, possibly, “Let’s just make the best of it...tough it out. We can’t do anything about this, so why complain?”

Brian just bit his lip, not answering. There really wasn’t any good answer he could come up with. Everything would sound lame. He wanted to be home...simple as that. A loud wind howled outside, telling the two men that the snow storm wasn’t letting up. He found his eyes growing heavy and although he tried to fight the will to stay awake, he lost it, falling in to a deep slumber just past one in the morning. Kevin did the same, his sadness being forgotten temporarily as he hit a peaceful dreamland of what his Holiday should have been like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian woke up to the sound of a soft rustling coming from behind him. Groaning, he rolled over, something in his back popping. With a moan, Brian sat up, looking around in slight confusion, trying to stretch the knot out of his back that had formed from sleeping at an awkward angle on the small couch. The noise continued and he wondered if it was Kevin up and about. His question was answered when he noticed his cousin still asleep next to him.

Rasing an eyebrow in confusion, Brian wondered what was making the racket, wondering if some crazy fan had broken in somehow. He turned slowly, stopping short at the sight before his eyes...something that he wished he had a picture of to keep as a memory. Closing his eyes, he rubbed them, feeling that he could be hallucinating. Nothing changed though and he felt his heart warming over.

“Daddy!” a small voice came when he noticed Brian watching them. The little boy ran around the couch as quickly as his little legs would carry him. He grabbed on to Brian’s hand, tugging lightly, “Wake up daddy. Chrismas his here.”

Brian laughed, picking Baylee up and hugging him, still greatly confused by all of this. He truly wondered if he was dreaming, because the situation was so surreal and, well...to be honest, not very realistic under the circumstances. Hugging his son, Brian stood up and turned around, not knowing why he was shocked to see Leighanne and Kristin standing around the tree decorating it. There were massive piles of gifts underneath.

“Leigh?” he asked, and his wife turned and smiled brightly as she strung one last handful of tinsel over the branches, walking over to her husband, “Are you really here?”

She laughed sweetly, “I’m here,” she assured him as he drew the woman in to his arms, “I couldn’t stand the thought of spending the Holidays without you...and Bay was a mess. He told me we could take away all of his toys if I brought him daddy.”

Brian laughed, kissing Baylee on the cheek. The child giggled joyously, obviously delighted that he’d gotten his wish. Even though the weather was a nasty mess, and the night before had been depressing, the day wasn’t turning out to be too bad. He kisses his wife tenderly on the mouth, oblivious to anything else going on around them. That was until Kevin’s sleep filled voice filled the air.

“What’s going on?” he muttered gumpily, “I’m tryin’ to sleep.”

Brian laughed, “Kevin...get your ass out of bed. You have a surprise here.”

“What time is it?”

“Just past ten.”

Kevin grumbled some choice words under his breath as he sat up, a pathetically sad frown pasted on his lips. That was, until he saw his little cousin standing before him with Leighanne draped in his arms. That only meant one thing...

...Looking around quickly, he spotted his own dear wife standing over by the tree. Kevin took no time to get up, rushing over to her. He took the woman in to his arms, burying his face in to her hair, taking in her scent. She hugged him back, her laughter bringing joy to his heart. He pulled away, kissing her a few times quickly on the mouth, hugging her again. He pulled away then though, the moment of excitement turning in to confusion as the other happy, reunited couple joined them.

“How...when...how did you get here?” he asked the two women, “I thought that they closed everything...” his voice trailed off, meant for one of the two wives to fill in.

“We were women on a mission. There was no way we were going to let some snow destine our day,” Leighanne winked at him, “We have our ways.”

‘But what about our families?” Brian questioned, “Aren’t they going to Atlanta to meet us all this morning?”

“Taken care of,” Kristin assured him, “Everything is taken care of.”

Kevin nor Brian asked anything more. His gaze caught Brian for a moment and they smiled at one another, both still holding on to their wives as Baylee made his way over to the gifts under the tree. All four laughed as they followed the child, sitting down on the soft, plush carpet to watch him. They couldn’t be home for Christmas, therefore, their small families had brought Christmas to them. The small gesture meant more to them than the women would ever know, turning something that had seemed hopeless into a small miracle.


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everybody!!! Please leave some feedback for me, as this is really my first attempt at a short Holiday story :) Thanks!