- Text Size +
A.N.: Hey y'all! Just thought this fic up yesterday, when Brad Paisley sang He Didn't Have To Be on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Enjoy! Disclaimer: Only own Ashlynn & story idea. Shelley owns Krissy. Kevin & A.J. own themselves, as does the rest of BSB. This first song - He Didn't Have To Be belongs to Brad Paisley. Thank-you. Note: Some of the words in the song have been changed by me to fit in with my story. Also, Krissy is Kevin's child - they'd a surogate mother.
I met the men I call my daddies when I was eight years old... And then all of a sudden, oh it seemed so strange to me. How I went from somthing's missing to a family.

"Ashlynn! C'mon, Honey!" Kevin called, holding his hand out for her. They were going to the park with her other new Daddy and her little sister.

Ashlynn smiled and ran for him, quickly grabbing hold of his hand. This would be her first trip to the park since she'd come to live with them. She was so happy! Especially since she was now Ashlynn Lee Richardson, and not just Ashlynn Lee with no last name. The first few weeks in her new home had been quite rough, as she'd thrown plenty of tantrums, testing them. Of course, those tantrums always earned her a good spanking as a result, so she'd decided to behave for just a little bit - give her bottom the well-deserved break that it needed.

Kevin smiled down at his newest daughter in return. She was still getting into trouble quite a bit, but she'd mellowed some today - hence why they'd decided to reward her with a trip to the park.

"Ready to go, Goober?" Kevin asked.

Ashlynn giggled and nodded. She was determined to be good long enough to play at the park.

"Is Sammy ready?" Kevin wanted to know, indicating her stuffed bear that she took everywhere with her - he was her security blanket, so it was quite understandable for her to want something familliar close by.

Ashlynn shook her head, and let go of his hand long enough, to get Sammy into his coat - the coat her Daddy A.J. had gotten for him.

Kevin watched as Ashlynn got Sammy ready to go. He was happy to see her smiling and enjoying herself for once - instead of having to take her over his lap for a spanking she'd earned. Today seemed to be a good day - the first of what he hoped to be many to come.

Ashlynn finished dressing Sammy, then grabbed Kevin's hand once more. She was silent, not because she was mute, but because she was sometimes afraid to talk as she'd a cussing problem that always got her into trouble. That, and she was still a bit shy when it came to talking to her new Daddies - though, she could talk to Krissy - her new little sister - okay sometimes.

"You guys ready?" A.J. asked, smirking when he saw Sammy in his new coat.

Ashlynn nodded, her eyes shining with excitement.

"You'll likes the park," Krissy - whom was five - told her sister happily. "It fun and it's gots lots of stuff to play on!"

Ashlynn smiled up at Krissy, as Krissy was in Daddy A.J.'s arms.

Krissy smiled back, then delcared, "Let's go!"

Kevin and A.J. both laughed, then left the house, locking the door behind them. They began to walk down their huge driveway, then once outside their gate, they turned left and headed for the park that was a block and a half away.

Ashlynn skipped alongside Kevin, her long dark brown hair bouncing in its pigtails - pigtails her Daddy Kevin had done for her.

"So, Ashlynn....what do you like best about parks?" Kevin questioned, as they walked along.

Ashlynn looked up at him, her hazel eyes suddenly clouded with distress. "Swings?" She said, though it was more of a question than a statement.

It dawned on Kevin then, that his little girl had never been to an actual park before. He nodded, in response to her semi-question.

"Swings are fun, aren't they?"

Ashlynn smiled at him again, glad she'd guessed right. She nodded her head. "Uh-huh...you go real high..."

"Monkey bars are fun!" Krissy decides, her bright blue eyes eyeing her new big sister. "You likes 'em Ashlynn?"

Ashlynn shrugged, and looked away, feeling a little awkward.

"Jungle gyms," A.J. said "Because you can climb all over those. Monkey bars, you swing from only - unless you can pull yourself up top."

"I'll stick with the slides," Kevin stated. "They're fun."

They reached the park then, and Ashlynn's eyes went wide. Before her eyes lay the biggest park she'd ever seen in her life! There were slides, swings, jungle gyms, monkey bars, merry-go-rounds, teeter-totters, a tree-house, and a roller-skate area. There was also tons of trees, lots of grass, and plenty of benches and picnic tables to sit on.

"Wow..." Ashlynn breathed softly.

Kevin and A.J. both shared a smile, glad to see Ashlynn so happy.

Krissy immediately squirmed down out of A.J.'s arms. "Let's go, Ashlynn!" She exclaimed, trying to run off - but A.J. had her hand tightly in his.

"Rules ladies," Kevin reminded them - Krissy mostly, as Ashlynn hadn't budged.

Ashlynn looked up after rolling her eyes - all Daddy Kevin talked about were rules!

"Make sure we can see you at all times," Kevin told them sternly. "And no going off with strangers. And be careful you don't get hurt."

"And most importantly," A.J. piped up. "Have fun."

Ashlynn giggled as Krissy grabbed her hand and began to drag her towards the jungle gym.

"C'mon Ashlynn!" Krissy cried, dragging her big sister along; her own pigtails - blond ones - bouncing about. "We gotta plays on the jungle gym!"

A.J. smirked at Kevin. "I think today is definitely a good day."

Kevin nodded. "I agree. A very good day."

"For now," A.J. chuckled.

"Oh, hush," Kevin smirked. "Enjoy it while it lasts."

A.J. laughed, as he followed Kevin over to where the girls were playing on the jungle gym.

The dads they didn't have to be.. Because they didn't have to be... You know they didn't have to be...