- Text Size +
A.N.: Wow. I finished this chapter - anybody as shocked as I am? Lol. Enjoy! Disclaimer: Only own Ashlynn & story idea. Shelley owns Krissy, Sam, & Littrell children. Kevin, A.J., & rest of BSB own themselves. Song is Daddy's Girl by Red Sovine. Thank-you!
I recall the day I took you on a fishin' trip, You said daddy won't that hook hurt the fishy's lip and if those things don't get air the things in the can will die So we set the worms a loose and chased some butterflys

"Not too close to the water ladies!" Kevin called out. Him and his husband - A.J. - were taking the girls fishing and had just arrived at the docks.

Ashlynn paused, back a ways. She'd have no trouble obeying that rule - as she'd a fear of water - especially bathtub water.

Krissy went to the edge of the dock, and stuck her finger in, giggling.

"Kristine Michelle!" A.J. yelled. "Away from the water unless you want a sore bottom!"

Krissy scowled, but immediately backed away from the water. She did not want a sore bottom.

Ashlynn smiled slightly - glad she wasn't the one getting into trouble for a change.

Kevin reached where Ashlynn stood, fishing rods and a tackling box in his hand.

"c'mon Ashlynn. We have to get a little closer than this - can't fish from all the way back here," he told her, a smile upon his face.

Ashlynn looked up at him nervously, and watched as he shifted the stuff around until he'd a free hand for her to hold. She immediately took hold of his hand and held tight.

A.J. reached them then, carrying to more fishing rods and a can of worms. "Ready to fish?"

Ashlynn nodded a bit - though still wary of the water.

Kevin led the way and soon they were standing next to Krissy. He set the stuff in his hands down and grabbed the blond little girl up.

"Life jacket, Goober," he smiled, blowing a raspberry on her tummy, causing her to squeal.

"Daddy!" Krissy squealed, laughing delightedly and squirming about.

A.J. helped Ashlynn put hers on in the meantime - it was precautionary, in case the girls got too close to the edge and fell in. It had happened before when it was just them and Krissy - her lifejacket having had kept her afloat.

Ashlynn stood perfectly still, letting Daddy A.J. do her lifejacket up. She then sat down in the middle of the dock, as it was swaying a bit.

Kevin got Krissy all done up in hers, then set her back down.

"Now, who wants to fish first?" He asked.

"ME!!!!" Krissy yelled excitedly.

"Shh! Not so loud! You'll scare the fish!" A.J. teased.

Krissy giggled, and watched as Daddy Kevin carefully placed a worm on her hook.

"There you go, Goober," Kevin smiled, handing her the rod. "Be careful, okay? Let Daddy A.J. help."

"Kay!" Krissy beamed, as Daddy A.J. took hold of the line - so she wouldn't wind up hooking herself.

Ashlynn watched quietly as Daddy A.J. helped Krissy toss her line into the water. She felt a little jealous, but at the same time, glad to not be that close to the water. Even where she was sitting was too close for comfort.

"Ready to fish, Ashlynn?" Kevin asked, smiling still. He was getting the next fishing rod all set up for someone to fish.

Ashlynn made a face when he took a worm out of the margarine container it was in. "Eew..."

Kevin chuckled. "Yeah, I guess they're a lil' eew. But worms won't harm you."

Ashlynn covered her eyes as Daddy Kevin stuck the wriggling work onto the hook - it was gross!

Kevin left her briefly, to give A.J. the rod, then came back and started to prepare the next one.

"Daddy?" Ashlynn began softly.

"Yes, Baby?"

"Does that hurt the little fishies?"

Kevin paused to think a moment. "Not really - only if it gets hooked the wrong way. Otherwise, no. We catch them, then unhook them, and let them go."

"But what if it don't get hooked right?" Ashlynn wanted to know.

"Then...we've accidentally killed a fish," Kevin told her honestly.

Ashlynn's eyes narrowed a bit. "An' how do they breathe in there?"

Kevin looked at the margarine container she was pointing too - they'd stuck worms in there that morning - Krissy had helped A.J. hunt for them in the garden.

"They don't," he answered gently, noting they'd forgotten to poke holes in the lid.

"But they'll die!" Ashlynn exclaimed softly. She didn't like worms, but she still didn't want them to die from lack of oxygen.

"What'll die?" Krissy queried curiously, turning to look at her big sister.

"Worms," Ashlynn answered.

Krissy frowned. "The fishies eats 'em up, Ashlynn."

"You gonna kill fish!" Ashlynn accused.

Krissy looked up at Daddy A.J., tears in her eyes. "Daddy? We gonna hurt the fishies?"

Now it was A.J.'s turn to sigh. "Not if we can help it, Honey."

Krissy pouted, not in the mood to fish anymore. "I don'ts wanna hurt the fishies..."

"We won't. I promise," A.J. assured her. "How about we wait and see if we catch any - and if we do, then we'll decide after that, okay?"

"Kay," Krissy agreed. "I wait..."

"Ashlynn, do you still want to fish?" Kevin asked their eldest child.

Ashlynn shook her head no. "Water too close."

"Okay," Kevin nodded. "Anything else you'd like to do?"

Ashlynn looked around and spotted a little girl younger than Krissy, chasing butterflies with her Daddy.

"That!" She exclaimed softly, pointing to the two with the butterfly net. The docks were at a park - which had a rental house, playground, and tons of picnic tables and fire pits.

Kevin smiled. "That looks like fun."

Ashlynn smiled, getting up and moving off the dock quickly. She reached shore, and began to unzip her life jacket.

"Hey, Aje?" Kevin called, continuing once his husband had turned around. "Ashlynn and I are going to go chase some butterflies, okay?"

A.J. nodded. "Sure Kev. Have fun! We'll join yah in a bit - if we don't catch anything."

"Alright," Kevin nodded back. He then turned and ran to catch up to Ashlynn.

Ashlynn giggled and skipped along - holding Daddy Kevin's hand - as they headed for the rental place to rent some butterfly nets.

Kevin rented two butterfly nets, and handed one to Ashlynn.

"The trick is, to catch as many butterflies as you can," he told her, a warm smile upon his face.

"They get hurt?" Ashlynn worried.

"No, Honey," Kevin assured her. "We won't hurt the butterflies."

"Kay," Ashlynn smiled, grabbing his hand and running off.

Kevin laughed and let her drag him about, as they chased the butterflies with their nets.

A short while later, A.J. and Krissy joined them, having had given up on fishing as Krissy was getting restless.

The four of them ran about, each with their own net, chasing the butterflies that always littered the park with their bright colours.

Ashlynn and Krissy giggled endlessly, as they tried to catch the butterflies - laughing at their failed attempts, and their Daddies too.

Later on, once all tired out, the four sat upon the grass watching the sun disappear below the horizon.

Kevin, who had his legs spread out, smiled over at his husband. "Great day, wasn't it?"

A.J. nodded. "The best yet, I think."

They shared a smile, then looked down at the girls, who sat between their legs, staring up at the sky in awe.

"Lookie that cloud, Ashlynn!" Krissy exclaimed, pointing to one. She was sitting between A.J.'s legs. "It's a rabbit!"

Ashlynn giggled, then pointed to another one - her sitting between Kevin's legs. "Dino!"

"Hey, that one does look like Dino," A.J. commented. "Kev! Look at that cloud, man!"

Kevin laughed, and looked - they were right about the cloud looking like Dino. "Good thing you noticed it, Ashlynn, or we might've missed it."

Ashlynn beamed proudly, leaning back against Daddy Kevin to get more comfortable.

A.J. snickered, as Krissy leaned back against him. "They'll be asleep soon," he whispered to his husban,d leaning over.

Kevin nodded, then gave A.J. a quick peck. "I know...we'll have to carry them..."

"What else is new?" A.J. groaned playfully, causing both men to grin, then laugh.

Once the laughter had died down, the four sat quietly one more, staring up at the remaning clouds - this family moment becoming a moment they would remember and treasure forever.

Daddy's girl, Daddy's girl I'm the center of daddy's world I know I'm daddy's number 1 for he loves me like I was his son Daddy's girl