- Text Size +
11


Those crazy Branson kids






Rob stood and paced as both Kevin and Howie watched, he looked a mixture of annoyed, concerned and worried. “I’m still baffled as to how that happened?”



“I don’t know Rob. I left her alone for a few minutes tops.”



“And no one bothered to stay in the spy room and watch?” Kevin shook his head, baffled at how quickly everything seemed to happen. He walked in, saw her not moving, had Ariana call 911 and found that Nadia wasn’t breathing. He performed CPR on her until the paramedics got there, but by then it was too late. She died before they even put her in the ambulance.



“Well, let me go fill out my paperwork and then Kevin, you’ll have to give me a complete report. Should I notify the parents?”



“No, I’ll do it, it’s my case.” Rob nodded at Kevin, pat his shoulder and then left the room.



Once gone, Kevin looked over what they had so far of her interrogation, which wasn’t very much at all, “I can’t believe she’s dead Howie, I mean it was only a few minutes.”



“Don’t beat yourself up over it Kev.”



“I still have no idea what could have happened.”



“Who knows? Maybe she had some kind of condition…”



“Or maybe someone killed her.”



“Kevin, you’re jumping to conclusions and thinking the worst.”



“We have to assume the worst, it’s not like we’ve never had bad people working right under our noses before D.”



“Maybe Ariana saw something, I’ll go ask her.” Kevin nodded as his friend walked out the door.



Picking up that police report that Luis Comacho had filed, he shook his head in disbelief at how two young kids both who should have been safe, had manage to die before they were even old enough to drink. He had to track down that police officer if he was going to get any answers.



“Kevin?” He looked up to see Ariana standing in the door and once she caught his eye she continued, “Your father is on line one…and I’m sorry I didn’t see anything. I glanced into the room and saw Howie talking to her but that was it.”



“Okay, thanks.” She smiled at him and exited.



Rolling his eyes, he hesitantly picked up the phone, knowing already that some kind of drama was unfolding at home. Drama he wasn’t much in the mood to deal with. In a way, he was grateful that Brian would be staying at his dad’s place because that meant for the time being, he didn’t have to be the buffer of all the fighting. “Let Brian deal with it as penance for not following procedures.” He picked up the phone and put on his happy face.



“Hi dad, what’s up?”



“Just wondering how the case is going? Rob just told me you had an unexpected turn?”



“Well, that’s putting it mildly, but yes we have. Our suspect is dead.”



“The one who shot Brian?”



“Yup.”



“How did that happen?”



“I have no clue, but that’s what we’re trying to find out.”



“Wow I’m sorry son, but I have to say the dad in me is a little grateful.”



“Don’t tell Brian though, okay?”



“Sure, oh I wanted to invite you over for dinner tonight.”



“I’m not sure dad; I’ve had a really long day and kind of just…”



“Please Kev? I’m making a big announcement and really think you should be here for it.”



Instantly Kevin knew what it was and he rubbed at his eyes, “You’re coming back to work, aren’t you?”



Kevin senior hesitated slightly before answering, “I have thought long and hard about it Kevin, don’t think I’m blindly coming back just because of my little fight with Nick earlier.”



“I know dad, you miss it, but don’t you think that will only make things worse between you guys?”



“I have to do what I need to do Kevin.” The son sighed, not really able to find fault in his father’s words. “Anyway, I’d really like you to be here for when I break the news. Just in case…”



It was the ‘just in case’ that made Kevin want to be nowhere near there, but he nodded, “Okay dad…what time?”



“How about 6:30?”



“Okay…see ya then.”



Howie walked back into the room a few minutes after to find Kevin still staring down at that police report. “Ariana said she didn’t see anything.”



“I know, she told me…when are we getting the autopsy report back from the coroner?”



“Probably not until tomorrow.”



“Okay, well in the meantime, you can try tracking down this Redman guy…”



“What are you going to do?”



Kevin stood up and put on his jacket, “I have to go talk to Nadia’s parents and tell them their daughter isn’t ever coming home.”



~*~*~*~*~*~*




Kevin senior hung up the phone and looked over at Brian as he lay on the couch in front of the television, with little brother literally sitting at his feet. ‘I bet you loved seeing things like that didn’t you sweetheart?’ he caught himself asking his wife’s picture that was hanging on their refrigerator. He talked to his wife a lot; it helped him deal with the madness that was his life. After sighing, he walked into the living room and took a seat on his recliner.



“How are you doing son?”



Brian nodded, “I’m good…but I would love some ice cream, do you happen to have any in the house?”



“Sorry…we need to go grocery shopping; I’ll go get you some if you want.”



“No, that’s okay…I’ll go.” Nick said standing up and putting on his baseball cap, “I feel like going for a walk anyway.”



“Wow,” The father said shocked, which actually caused his youngest son to laugh.



“Don’t’ get used to it though, both of you.” The way he playfully said that almost made Kevin senior grab his son in a hug. He loved it when the happy side to his son showed. He wished he could bottle that up and set if free when the boy was sad and angry.



“Don’t you want to know what kind I want?” Brian asked as Nick was getting ready to walk out the door.



“I already know…Rocky Road.”



“Yup, you are correct young grasshopper…what about money?”



“My treat…and I’m always right…” The blonde teased as he walked out the door.



“So, Kevin’s coming for dinner tonight?” Brian asked, easing back down into the couch and looking over at his father.



“Yes.”



“Did you invite AJ too?”



“No, I have a feeling he’s going to be preoccupied with his girlfriend.”



“Who knows, maybe by tonight we’ll have an engagement to celebrate.”



“We already have a reason to celebrate and that’s because you are okay.”



“Thanks dad.”



Kevin senior looked at his son and smiled, “You’re welcome.” He answered as they both watched TV.



~*~*~*~*~*~




“That’s terrible baby.”



“I know, but thank God he’s okay. It was scary at first, all I was told was he had been shot.”



“How did your brother take it?”



“Not well…but now the kid’s as happy as a clam because Brian’s staying at the house.”



“So does that mean no troubled children this week interrupting our hanky panky?” Stacey asked, pulling AJ close.



“God willing….and hanky panky?”



“Shut up, you know what I mean.”



He laughed at her, “Yeah, I know what you mean…so when are you getting off work again?”



“Why do you keep asking me that?”



“Because…I have something important I think we should discuss tonight.”



“Important?”



“Yup.”



“Well then…I think I’m done at around 8.”



He smiled and hugged her close, “Excellent. I’ll come and meet you after work.”



“You already told me that.”



“We’ll I’m reminding you then.”



She pulled away and looked at her watch, “Break time’s over, I’ll see you in a few hours.”



He didn’t want to let go of her hand but reluctantly, he did. She blew him a kiss as she walked away. “Tonight AJ…don’t wuss out, do it tonight!” He said to himself as he headed back to his place.



~*~*~*~*~*~




“Richardson, is that you?” Nick couldn’t believe the horrible, stinking luck he had when it came to running into this kid. He tried to duck behind the pyramid of cans but when he accidentally made eye contact with Charlie he had no choice but to walk towards him.



“Hey Charlie.”



“Are you stalking me or something kid?”



“Or something.”



“What are you doing here?”



“Buying ice cream.”



Charlie laughed, “Why buy it?” He asked as he slowly looked over his shoulder, and once sure no one was looking he pocketed a Kit Kat bar.



“Because that’s what you do in a store…well most of us anyway.”



“You’re just too much of a sissy to steal Richardson, admit it; or too much of a goody goody.”



Nick rolled his eyes and then shook his head, “I’m just not into breaking the law.”



“Oh come on Nick…I dare you to steal something.”



Charlie had a look of pure amusement on his face and Nick couldn’t help but wonder why everyone felt so intimidated by this jerk or worse yet, why he was actually toying with the idea of stealing just to one up the loser.



“See that pack of gum, it’s small enough for you to just pocket…come on…take it!”



Nick looked at the gum and then the man behind the counter, he knew he could easily place it in his pocket without getting caught but he still hesitated.



Charlie laughed, “I knew you wouldn’t have the guts.” He mocked as he took the gum and placed it in his own pocket.



“Guts have nothing to do with stealing.”



“Whatever you say dude…” He said it as condescendingly as possible to which Nick rolled his eyes and moved over to the freezer section.



“I like you Nick.” The thug said as he followed Nick around the small store.



“I’m flattered...really.”



Charlie laughed and placed his hand on the freezer door, preventing Nick from opening it up, “That’s why I wanted to invite you into a little project I got going on.”



“I already have a partner to work with Charlie.”



“What? You think I’m talking about school? Wow you really are a dink kid…”



Nick looked up at the kid when he let out a laugh, “What are you talking about then?”



“Lot’s of money Richardson.”



“Doing what?”



That brought a smile to Charlie’s face, “Sounds like you’re interested.”



“I didn’t say that, I’m just wondering what kind of trouble you are about to get yourself into.”



“No trouble at all because I’m careful and a pro…”



“So, what is it then?”



“I’ll tell you if you say you’re in.”



“Blindly? No way man…”



Charlie shook his head, “I’m disappointed in you kid, I thought you had it in you, I guess not…see ya around Richardson.”



Nick watched as Charlie went out the door, part of him, that curious part, almost wanted to agree just so he could see what the guy was up to but then there was the cautious side to his personality, that forbid him to know. As Nick paid for his ice cream he glanced over at the door to see that the bully was still there standing outside and smoking a cigarette that he no doubt had stolen from the store. What did Patty see in this Branson kid? He was a complete loser who seemed to be involved with bad things. Should he tell her about the conversation the two of them just had?



Nick started for the exit, not sure what he was going to say to the bully when he passed by, maybe he wouldn’t say anything, when suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder, “Are you leaving without paying for this?” He felt the older man pull something out of his back pocket and turned to see him holding a Kit Kat bar.



“I didn’t know it was in there.” Nick stammered as the older man continued to grip his shoulder and now pull him closer to the counter.



“You know it’s hooligans like you that make me want to just retire and move to Florida.”



“Sir…” He started but then glanced over at the door where he saw Charlie smiling like crazy and with a wave and a wink, he took off. The bully had put the Kit Kat bar he had stolen in Nick’s back pocket, sticking out so it would be clearly seen from behind.



“Sir nothing…now, give me your parent’s number or I’m calling the cops.”





~*~*~*~*~*~*




Kevin came back to the office exhausted beyond belief. It has been a long time since he had to break that kind of news to a family, but the reaction he got he wasn’t quite expecting. He sat the mother down, after finally finding her over at a neighbor’s house. She looked either high or drunk.



When he explained to her exactly what had happened, he was waiting for the usual look that came with that kind of news. The one that said, ‘you are mistaken, not my child,’ but instead she didn’t seem the least bit surprised. Almost as if she was expecting this to happen. The worst part was she didn’t even seem that sad about it. She barely shed one tear and didn’t even leave her friend’s house to follow the agent back to the office so she could see her daughter’s body.



He explained to her that they would need to perform an autopsy which was standard procedure when someone died in custody and the woman barely flinched. How could a parent care so little about their kid? He was so angry he almost wanted to take the mother in for possession of narcotics but they were nowhere to be found on her.



“How did it go?” Howie asked when he saw his friend heading back into his office.



“It went…”



“Did they take the news hard?”



“It was only the mom. Apparently there is no dad and no, not hardly. She barely cared.”



“That’s almost worse then when they full on lose it.”



Kevin nodded at his friend, “I would have preferred that….so any news on our missing police officer?”



“None what so ever, none of the people on the force have ever heard of this Redman guy, including the man who supposedly was his partner. He must have been bad news.”



“I just love these really productive days and now I get to go home and watch a meltdown.”



“You really think Nick won’t take well to the news?”



“I have no clue Howie…would you like to go in my place?”



Howie laughed and shook his head, “No way…”



“Anyway…do you know if anybody went in to visit Nadia in the time I left her and the time I came back? No one is entered in the log but that doesn’t mean no one went in there.”



“Besides me… no, not that I know of.”



“Even still…maybe we should ask around the office. Maybe someone saw something.”



Howie nodded, “I’ll get right on that.”



“Thanks D.”



“No problem and good luck tonight.”



“I’m going to need it.” The agent said as he watched his best friend walk out the door.



He shook his head once more at the memory of the mother caring so little for her child. It pained him to know that also meant that Nadia’s body would just end up staying in the morgue unclaimed most likely.



“Poor kid…” H said once more before shutting the file and leaving the office for the day.



~*~*~*~*~*




Charlie walked into his house and opened the fridge. Once more there was nothing in there but some slightly moldy leftovers. He knew he should have brought home a pizza for the family, or better yet stolen it. That brought a smile to his face, seeing goody goody Richardson busted for shop lifting. He couldn’t wait to call his girlfriend and tell her the news.



He really was hoping that Nick would join him on this little job, mainly because it was always a good thing to surround yourself with people who are close to the cops. When it came to protecting their own, no one was better then the cops. If they were caught doing something bad and Nick was part of it, chances are the entire thing would have gone away. Now he would have to just rely on not getting caught.



He looked a this watch, wondering why everything was so quiet and then he saw his mom sitting on the porch of his next door neighbor’s, drunk off her ass as usual. How he hated his mother with a passion. He shook his head and walked over towards them.



“Hey baby…” His mom said slurred as she grabbed him in a hug.



“Mom, where’s Nadia? She was supposed to go grocery shopping for us.”



“Who baby?”



“Nadia…your daughter…my sister…. you know, that one?”



“Oh…” Suddenly his mother looked very serious.



“What is it mom?”



“Charlie…Nadia is dead.”



He took a few steps backwards, “What?”



“She finally got herself killed, just like you will one day.”



“But…how?”



“The police killed her.”



He didn’t know what to do, how to feel. His emotions were all messed up but he felt a few tears start to fall. He hated that, so he turned and started walking away, feeling anger and hatred building with every step he took.



“What are we having for dinner Charlie? I’m starving…” She yelled after him.


Oh Snap! lmao Have agreat wekeend evrybody :O)