- Text Size +
12



Framed




AJ looked at his watch for the tenth time within a few minutes. He was actually going to do it, bring Stacey back to his place, sit her down on his couch surrounded by candles and roses, then get down on one knee and ask her to marry him. “I must be out of my ever loving mind.” He said to himself right before walking into the station to meet his girlfriend.



“Aje! What are you doing here buddy?” Barney, one of the guys who they both worked with greeted as he held a huge pot of chili in his hands.



“I’m here to pick up Stacey; do you know where she is?”



“Yup, they are on call…some small grease fire, she should be back soon.”



He nodded and sat down, he hated when he was off duty knowing that his friends and especially Stacey was out fighting the blazes. The thought of putting out fires really excited him, he was sure it wasn’t normal but still, it just did. There was so much beauty in a fire as it burned and even more as it slowly died out to ashes. When he first met his girlfriend it was in a room that was being gradually swallowed by flames. It was a little girl’s bedroom where the child sat on the floor by her bed crying. AJ had gotten to her first and was just about calming her down when in walked Stacey. He hadn’t noticed that the roof above them was slowly beginning to crack under the pressure of the hoses. Stacey came running in and grabbed onto them both and pulled them out of there seconds before the roof gave way. She had saved his life and captured his heart.



He smiled when he saw the huge truck pull into the station and also let out a sigh of relief. No matter how long he had been doing this and actually Stacey had been doing it even longer, he was still grateful when everyone came back safe.



When he saw her jump down all grimy and hot he felt himself getting jittery once again, “I am out of my freaking mind…” He said just as she walked over to him.



“Hey baby, I’m sorry I’m late.”



“It’s okay…was it a tough one?”



“No, but the chief thinks it’s another arson, possibly tied into the others.”



“Really?”



“Yes.”



“Fatalities?”



She nodded slowly as she grabbed at a towel and wiped off the dust from her face, “At least three people were in there already dead by the time we got there. The FBI is there now, I didn’t see your brother though.”



“So they think the fire was to cover up murder?”



“Yeah, I think so…but enough morbid talk. I’m excited to see what you have planned for me tonight.” She grabbed him in a hug and kissed his lips. Even after a fire, she still managed to smell sweet and taste great.



“Well…I hope you’ll be happy with what you see.”



“Did you buy me a new car, because that would make me happy as a clam.”



“Sure I did…I used my stash from when I climbed up the magical beanstalk and stole the goose that laid the golden eggs.”



“You suck at sarcasm honey.” She said as she pinched his butt.



“And that hurt my ass!”



“What ass?”



“Oh you’re a feisty little thing aren’t you?”



“Excuse me…” Both Stacey and AJ looked up to see their fellow fire fighters all looking highly amused. “If you don’t mind…some of us have to still work and you are making us nauseous.” Barney said, trying his best not to laugh.



“Okay fine…see you guys later!”



The two of them grabbed each other’s hands and left the firehouse.



~*~*~*~*~*~




“Hello?” Kevin said while walking into his father’s house and peering into the living room to see Brian asleep on the couch with remote in his hand. How often he had come home to that very scene all throughout his years living under the same roof with his brother. The kid always fell asleep on the couch; the only thing missing was Nick lying right next to him.



He walked into the kitchen and put the pastries he picked up on the table. He decided to buy some Napoleons which were Nick’s favorite dessert. He hated how glum and sad his baby brother looked when he last saw him sitting outside the hospital. That had to be hard for the kid, knowing that Brian had been shot. Also knowing that he wouldn’t react well to what their dad was going to announce. He figured sweets would help.



“Oh hey Kev…” Kevin looked over at Brian who sat up weakly and rubbed at his hair.



“How are you feeling?”



“Not too bad, I’m kind of in pain right now, but I’ll be okay. I just need another pain killer but I don’t want to be knocked out. I think I need to be awake when dad tells Nicky about going back to work.”



“Oh, so you know too huh?” Brian nodded and rubbed at his shoulder. “Do you want me to get you anything? Ice or something?”



“No…I sent Nick for ice cream like hours ago and he still hasn’t come back.”



“Really? It’s been that long?” When Brian saw panic on Kevin’s face he regretted his little exaggeration.



“Okay maybe not that long…but I want some dammit!”



That made Kevin laugh, “Where’s dad?”



“I have no idea, but I think I hear the shower.” Brian was right, the shower upstairs was running.



“Let me have the remote.” Kevin said as he reached over and tried to grab it out of his little brother’s hand.



“No way! It’s mine…all mine!”



“You’re lucky you are not feeling great buddy…just don’t pick something crappy to watch.”



The phone rang just as Brian let out an extremely cruel laugh, “I think I shall watch The Golden Girls.”



“Fine by me…Bea Arthur is hot.”



“Kevin, something is wrong with you!”



He shook his head as he answered the phone, “Richardson residence.”



“Kevin?” Nick sounded small and scared and those two words always terrified the eldest brother.



“Nick, what’s wrong?”



“I’m…uh” He was cut off by a man, “Is that your father? I want to speak to him right this minute!”



“Hello?”



“Who is this?” Kevin asked, annoyed and angered not knowing exactly what was going on.



“Is this a Kevin Richardson?”



“Yes.”



“You’re son just tried to steal something out of my store.”



“He what!?”



“He tried to steal something out of my store, I’m thinking of calling the police!”



“Wait…this has to be some kind of mistake…I’ll be right there.”



“Sir there is no mistaking it…”



“Where are you?”



“Elby’s Market.”



“Okay I’ll be right there.”



Kevin hung up the phone and stormed into the living room where a smiling Brian was about to tease once again but stopped when he saw the drastic mood change on his brother’s face.



“What?”



“Nick! Caught stealing!”



“What?”



Kevin put his arms up in an overly huge shrug. “I don’t get it, but I’m going down to Elby’s before they call the cops.”



“Why would he steal? I even offered to pay…”



“Brian, I give up trying to understand what’s going on in that kid’s brain…I’ll be back.”



“What do I tell dad?”



“God, I don’t know…that’s your job. Mine is trying not to kill the blonde.”





~*~*~*~*~*~*~




Charlie slowly walked into the hospital confused and grief stricken. At first he didn’t know what to do with himself, but he did know if he stayed at home he’d end up killing his mother. How could she be so indifferent when it came to her daughter’s death? The thought was tearing him up inside, that and knowing it was the police that had her killed in the first place.



He called the police station when he got back into his house and demanded answers. All he got was the run around; no one knew anything, they claimed. They had no idea who his sister even was. It was possible that his mother maybe made the whole thing up; in fact, he was kind of counting on that, until a few people in his neighborhood started talking. Mentioning how they saw his sister being chased by a few people shouting FBI after her.



Shots were fired and his sister was taken away in handcuffs, but not in a body bag. An ambulance was called because she managed to shoot the guy chasing her.



He saw Patty walk into the hospital’s gift shop and quickly followed her inside, “Patty…” He said softly, to try to hide the grief from his words.



She turned and smiled when she saw her boyfriend standing there, “What are you doing here?”



“Can we talk?”



“Of course we can, let me just go get my jacket okay?” He thought about it and then nodded.



“Yes, but please hurry. I have something to tell you.”



She hugged him close and pecked his cheek, “I will.”



He went and sat in the chairs out in the lobby as he waited for his girlfriend, watching as sick people walked by him. Maybe his sister was taken here? It was possible he supposed and was just about to go to the nurses desk to ask when Patty came walking back into the lobby. “What is it you have to say to me babe?”



He lost it at that point. He grabbed her into a hug and started to cry, “Nadia is dead…” He was barely able to get out.



She looked immediately shocked as she started to cry as well, “How did it happen?”



“I’m trying to find that out, but my mother said the cops did it, although my neighbors said it was the FBI. Supposedly she shot the son of a bitch that was chasing her and then she mysteriously died while in custody.”



Patty pulled away as she wiped at her tears, instantly remembering that Brian had been brought in because of being hurt on the job.



“What is it?”



She looked up at her boyfriend unsure if she should tell him, “Nothing…just.”



“What? Was she brought here? Did you see her?”



She shook her head and then placed her hands on his face, “No, baby…I’m so sorry for your loss.”



“I’m going to find out who did this and so help them God…I hate fucking cops and agents.”



“I’m not too fond of them either.” She admitted, now knowing there was no way she was going to mention Nick’s brother.



“And anyone related to them…your stupid fuck friend got himself in trouble today.” He said smiling as tears still rolled down his face. It was an odd sight which Patty wasn’t sure how to take.



“What are you talking about?”



“Mr. Perfect…you know, good boy Richardson, he was caught shoplifting.”



“Nick?”



“Uh huh.”



“How do you know?”



“I saw him.”



“I don’t believe that for a minute.”



Charlie at that point got so frustrated he pushed his girlfriend away, almost knocking her down, “What? Are you calling me a liar now?”



“No…I…”



“Fuck you…why don’t you go bail his ass out of jail and leave me the hell alone!” He was so furious with everything… he had enough. He walked over to a trash can and kicked it so hard it went flying and almost broke the glass door that he abruptly exited, leaving Patty standing there confused and a little scared.



~*~*~*~*~*~*






Nick sat on a stool with his head down; tears falling down his cheeks that he kept catching with his hand as he listened to the guy who owned the store tell his big brother what a horrible kid he was. The way he was talking about the blonde, it sounded as if he had killed five people and then ate them. Not that he just stole a candy bar, which he didn’t even do.



Between being scolded, Kevin would occasionally glance over towards Nick and give him a look, that’s what stung the most. The fact that his big brother actually believed what he was being told.



“So, now I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with this kid! I mean you should have him locked up because he’s a no good delinquent!”



“I am sorry he took the candy bar…Nick do you have something to say to this man?” Hearing his name made him look up.



“I didn’t do it.”



“See? No remorse…what’s wrong with kids today!”



“Nick…just apologize and we’ll talk about this later.”



“But it wasn’t me.”



“That’s it I’m calling the cops!” The man said disgusted as he went to pick up the phone.



“Fine! I’m sorry about the candy bar.” Kevin looked completely embarrassed about the entire situation.



“I should hope so young man and I never want you to set foot into this store again, do you understand me?”



Nick slowly nodded, once again putting his head down and staring at the floor. “I’m very sorry for all of this.” Kevin said once again before grabbing his ‘son’ by the arm and leaving the store.



Once out the door Nick pulled away from Kevin, “I didn’t do it!” He said once again, “Why don’t you believe me?”



“Did I say I didn’t believe you?”



“No, but I didn’t see you exactly defending me in there either.”



“Nick, he was an angry old man, I know how to read people and he wasn’t going to settle for anything less than an apology. You’re lucky I picked up the phone and not dad!”



“Dad probably would have let him arrest me.”



Kevin ignored that statement, “Who did it then? If you didn’t put the Kit Kat in your pocket, who did?”



“Some kid who hates my guts.”



“Why would he do that?”



“You know why he hates me Kevin? He hates me because of you! He thinks because I am related to all of you stupid authority type figures, that I’m this goody goody two shoes who never gets in any trouble. Everyone hates me because of what you do!” The blonde said as he walked ahead of his brother. Kevin just stood back for a second, not sure of what to say.



“Nick…wait a minute, get in the car.”



“No, I’m walking.”



“Nick, stop being damn stubborn and get over here NOW!” Nick stopped and then turned around and stomped over to the car.



“Fine, whatever!”



“Is that the same kid who has been bullying you?”



“I don’t get bullied.”



Kevin gave him another look, “Nick, let me help you please. Just tell me what his name is. It’s one thing to just call you names or whatever but he’s hurting you and now he’s framed you. It’s all getting a little ridiculous.”



“So you do believe me then? That I didn’t steal that Kit Kat bar?”



“Of course I believe you, besides you hate those, now if it was a Reese’s…” Finally the youngest smiled.



“But I do want his name.”



“Kevin, I don’t want to do that. I can fight my own battles without you getting involved; besides…it’ll make things even worse.”



Kevin let out a long sigh but then nodded his head, “Okay fine…but the next time he does something, you come home with a bruise or even a scratch, I’m stepping in, got it?”



Nick nodded and rolled his eyes. “So you didn’t tell dad then?”



“No way, we can keep this our little secret for now.”



“Thanks Kevin…I owe you one.”



“You owe me plenty kid…you’re lucky I’m not keeping track of all of this.”



He reached over and ruffled Nick’s hair, smiling but still worried about this kid who was giving his brother such a hard time. He hoped the kid was harmless, maybe he’d innocently try to pry the information out of Nick without him even realizing it.



~*~*~*~*~*~






“That was truly a stupid thing for you to do Ariana!” The man on the phone scolded.



“I told you never to call here, it’s too risky.” She said looking over her shoulder in the busy office. Luckily no one was watching or listening in.



“You know there will be questions, they always do an autopsy when someone dies suddenly like that. They’ll find the poison in her body.”



“Don’t you think I’ve thought of that already?”



“How so?” Just as her lover asked the question, her husband walked past her desk and shot her a loving wink.



“Remember, I have my own backup plan…my husband was the last person anyone can say they saw her alive with.”



Her lover started laughing, “Oh my God…you my dear are a genius! You’re setting him up for a major fall, I love that!!”



“I know, I’m good…but what about her brother? Is he still pulling off the job tomorrow?”



“Yup and then I’ll take care of him.”



“This is all just working out very nicely, isn’t it?”



“Absolutely…I’ll see you tonight?” He asked hopeful.



“Yes, I am giving Howie a double dose tonight. He’ll be knocked out for at least 12 hours.”



“See ya then.” She smiled just as Howie walked by again.



“I love you.” He said as he gave her a kiss on her cheek.



“I love you too sweetheart.” She said as she watched him walk away.

Have a great weekend everyone! :O)