- Text Size +
13



Information overload!






AJ stared across the table at his lovely girlfriend, he was debating on whether or not to pop the question before dinner, or as he had rehearsed it so many times, during dessert consisting of Stacey’s favorite, chocolate mousse. There on top of the whipped cream and cherry would be the ring. She would go crazy for that, it would reduce her to mush. The only problem, he was a man who acted on impulse and his impulse was telling him not to wait even one second more.



“You keep staring at me…why?” she asked him as she sat on the couch and put her feet up on the coffee table.



“Because you’re beautiful.”



She smiled back at him and then motioned for him to join her. ‘Now is the time’ he thought to himself as he sat on the coffee table right across from her. He couldn’t believe he was finally going to do this.



“Stace…I have something to say.”



“Uh oh…”



“No, nothing uh oh about it…just listen for a minute, okay?”



She nodded and smiled but you could tell her curiosity was peaked. She had no idea what was coming and he loved that, but it also made him a little more nervous. What if she said no? He hadn’t thought about that possibility at all but there was a chance that she enjoyed her freedom so much that she would decline his offer, and then what?



“Okay…what is it baby?”



“Well…we’ve known each other for a long time now right?”



“Yes.”



“And we’ve really loved being around each other all the time right?”



“Uh huh…”



“Even though we can get on each other’s nerves from time to time…”



“Yes this is true.”



“But overall, we get along really well.”



“AJ…is there a point?”



“Yes…I…um…wow, this is harder than I thought it would be.”



“Just say it…” She urged, now a light of understanding shining in her eyes.



“Okay…Stace…I’ve never been with a woman who completed me as much as you do. I mean, from the second I met you…”



“And I saved your life.”



“Yes…and you saved my life…I’ve been just obsessed with you.”



“Do I need a restraining order?”



“What?” He looked confused which made Stacey laugh. She loved doing that to him; he was so easily distracted when he had his mind centered on only one thing.



“I’m sorry baby…go ahead…you were saying?”



“Right…um…what was I saying? What did I just say?”



“That you were obsessed with me.”



“Oh…right!” he then confidently continued grabbing her hands in his, “I can’t envision my life without you in it. Everyday I wake up and think, I wonder what the first thing Stacey did today was? I’ll sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and just watch you sleep.”



“That’s creepy.”



“Stacey…stop making jokes, I’m trying to be serious here.”



“I know…I’m sorry.”



“I love you Stacey and I…nothing would make me happier if you…” She just stared at him, now tears forming in her own eyes. When he couldn’t find the words, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the box.



She brought her hands to her face at that point, as tears rolled down her cheeks, “Oh my God…” She said in a whisper of disbelief.



“Stacey…will you marry me? I want you to spend the rest of your life with me!” He closed his eyes and opened the box, afraid of what her answer might be. He didn’t expect to hear what she said.



“AJ…I…there’s nothing in the box.” That made him open his eyes and look over at her in confusion.



“Huh?”



“The box…it’s empty” She pointed to it and sure enough it was completely hollow inside. “If this was a joke, it was probably the cruelest thing anyone has ever….”



“No! It’s not a joke I swear…I …oh Jesus that’s right. It’s over by the sink. I had to wash it after it fell down the drain…”



“What?”



“This morning, I was in the bathroom rehearsing what I was going to say to you and the ring fell down the drain…”



She tilted her head as he went on, “I mean…Nick managed to get it out and I was cleaning it when I got the call about Brian so I must have just left it there…Damn!”



He seemed so annoyed with himself as he walked over to the sink and there was the ring still grimy sitting on the counter where he had left it. “This isn’t how I pictured this at all.” He said as he put the warm water on and rinsed the ring off.



He glanced over at his girlfriend and was a little unsettled that she still hadn’t said a thing. She just watched as he rinsed her ring while in his mind he kept calling himself every name in the book he could think of for the word loser.



“I wanted this to go down so differently Stacey, I can’t believe what an idiot I am! I can’t believe it didn’t dawn on me once to look in the damn box to see if the damn ring was actually in there!”



He wiped it dry and then walked over to her again, taking his place on the coffee table. “If you said no now, I would totally understand…I’m a retard, why on earth would you want to marry a retard?”



She glanced at the ring as he held it out to her and then she smiled, “Because this retard keeps me entertained all the time. This retard was practicing his lines in the bathroom and this retard probably acted on impulse and jumped the gun didn’t you?”



He looked up at her and nodded, “Yeah, I was going to wait until dessert and do you really have to keep calling me a retard?”



“Well, Alexander James…I guess I am a retard too because nothing would make me happier than to marry you.”



He looked up at her, “Really?”



“Absolutely…you didn’t think I’d say no did you?”



“Well…after the drain incident…kind of?”



He stood up and pulled her close; still shocked that he was now engaged and then took the ring and placed it on her finger, “It looks great!”



She was still crying as she smiled and held it up to get a better look, “Let me just make sure…it was the sink and not the toilet right?”



He laughed, “Right.” And then, he pulled her towards him and kissed.





~*~*~*~*~*~*




Nick pushed his mashed potatoes from one side of the plate to the other and then took a spoon and squished them into his peas. He didn’t think anyone was watching him, but when he looked up he saw Brian staring and shaking his head.



Poor Brian felt so in the dark about what had happened. Kevin tells him that Nick shoplifted and then he disappears. A few minutes later his father comes downstairs and asks a million questions about where Kevin went and why Nick wasn’t home yet. The entire time, Brian was flying by the seat of his pants, hoping he wouldn’t say something that would lead his father towards what had actually happened.



So he said that Kevin forgot something in the office that was very important and that Nicky had called and said he was running late because he ran into friends. Excuse number one seemed to work for the father but not number two. He shook his head in disgust about number two. “I have told him a million times he needs to come right home. Why won’t he listen to me?”



Oops…he thought to himself but he got over it. It’s not like he told his dad the truth, and it was killing Brian not to know what the truth was anyway. About an hour later, with dinner almost ready both brothers walked into the house together. Being together didn’t really help Brian’s story either.



“We ran into each other on the way home…” Kevin said giving Brian a knowing glance.



“Imagine that…” his father said suspiciously but luckily that was the end of that.



Except…Brian still had no idea what had happened. He wanted answers but whenever he tried to get Nick or Kevin alone their dad was always there. It was getting so frustrating. Judging from his baby brother’s solemn mood, whatever happened wasn’t good.



“Nick, stop playing with your food and eat.” Kevin senior scolded. His mood was sour.



‘When did that happen?’ Brian thought…when he went upstairs to shower he was in a really great mood, but now he was his usual grumpy self.



Halfway through the meal, Brian was beginning to hope that maybe his dad had changed his mind about telling Nick he was going back to work but just as he grabbed for a napoleon, Kevin senior decided it was time. It wasn’t as delicate as Brian and Kevin had hoped it would be. Actually he just kind of blurted it out…



“I’m going back to work Nick, I think it’s time. I start next week.” Kevin and Brian looked at each other and then immediately at their young brother, not sure what kind of reaction they would get.



Nick kind of stayed frozen in his position for a couple of seconds, partway standing as his hand hovered over the pastries. You could tell by looking at him, his mind was racing with different thoughts. Maybe he was looking for the perfect reaction to the news. When none came he sat back down, never actually taking one of the desserts.



“I know you’re not happy about that but I hope you understand, now that you are older, I feel like I need to do this.”



Nick was staring past everyone and at the wall, he was either sad or angry, all three men had a hard time trying to figure out which one it was. “Okay...if that’s what you gotta do, who am I to stop you right? I mean after all it’s just a job, right?” Nick looked directly at Kevin when he said that, making Brian even more curious as to what the hell had happened at the store.



“I know you’re angry…”



“I’m not angry dad. I know it’s what you want to do, so do it. That’s fine…now if you guys don’t mind, I have to go finish my homework.” He stood up and then left the table. No screaming, throwing things or tantrums of any kind. He was almost too calm.



“He’s upset.” Kevin senior said once his youngest son started climbing the stairs.



“He’ll get over it.” Kevin junior added reaching for a pastry.



“Maybe I should go up and talk to him.” Brian said, standing up and making his way towards the stairs. Mainly he was more concerned about finding out what had happened at the store than what Nick’s reaction to the news was.



“That’s a good idea.” Kevin senior said, now taking his plate and Nick’s and walking them over to the sink. “Let me know if he’s alright.”



Brian nodded and made his way up the steps.



~*~*~*~*~*~*






Nick closed the door to his room and shook his head. His father was doing this for spite, that’s all there was to it. How could he make a decision like that after having one of his own sons almost die on him today? “He’s a selfish prick…that’s how.” He answered for himself.



Walking over to the window, Nick opened it and was just about to climb out, placing his leg out onto the ledge, when Brian walked in the door. “What are you doing?”



That made the youngest Richardson, turn, his body half in and half out. “Nothing…” He answered as he placed his leg back inside and shut the window.



“You were going to sneak out?”



“Yeah…maybe.”



“I was just coming up here to check and see how you are? What happened at the store?”



“I got accused of shoplifting.”



“Yeah, I know that part…but how?”



“Some kid put something in my pocket.”



“Why?”



Nick sighed, not really in the mood to deal with this. What he wanted to do was go visit his mother again; finding Patty there would be an extra bonus. “I have no idea Brian…I guess I’m just lucky.”



Brian moved over to his brother’s bed and took a seat, rubbing at his shoulder and neck as he did so. “Are you okay?” Nick asked now moving next to his older brother and sitting down.



“I’m just a little sore, but I’ll live.”



“This time.” The youngest Richardson said under his breath.



“Nicky, I know dad going back to work probably scares you.”



“No, it actually doesn’t. I knew he was going to go back. I was just wondering when he was going to tell me.”



“I think him going back to work will actually end up being a good thing for you. He won’t spend quite so much time obsessing about what you’re up to.” Brian laughed as he said that, hoping that his brother would agree. “And then you won’t have to resort to climbing out of two story windows to get away from him.”



“You’re right.” Brian didn’t like how agreeable Nick was being, usually he would be arguing by now, even if he totally agreed with everything that was being said.



“If that’s not bothering you, then what is? I can tell something is wrong so spill it Nicky Gene!”



“Ugh, I hate when you call me that!”



Brian smiled and ruffled Nick’s hair, “I know.”



“Everything is good Brian; I’m just blah about being framed by a punk.”



“Oh, does this punk have a name or was it some random kid?”



“Random jerk.” But he hesitated long enough for Brian to know he was lying.



He wondered if he should ask again, pry into his brothers business a little more, but decided not to and instead pat Nicky on the back, “Okay buddy…but if you need to talk, I’ll be here. It’s not like I have anything better to do.”



“Thanks.”



Brian stood up and nodded, “And no climbing out windows…stay put tonight, okay? Besides with you gone who am I going to beat at video games later?”



That made Nick smile, “Yeah right…keep dreaming Bri!”



“See ya later!”



Nick nodded as Brian closed the door and made his way back down the steps where he heard a commotion.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~




“Wow, you actually did it, I can’t believe it!” Kevin said looking at the ring sitting on Stacey’s finger. The couple had come in just as Brian ventured up the steps.



“Yup, I still can’t believe she said yes…I mean what are you thinking woman?”



“Oh hush, you know I really said yes so I could be surrounded by all of these handsome men!”



Kevin senior smiled and walked over and gave his future daughter in law a hug. “Welcome to the family.” He said, he didn’t sound excited or genuine but he never did.



Stacey nodded, “Thanks.”



“So when is the big date?” Kevin grabbed two small plates and put a pastry on each one for the pair.



“No idea yet, but we’re not in any hurry, if only I can keep Mr. Impulse Man calm enough to not rush we’ll be fine.”



AJ pulled his bride close, “Mr. Impulse Man…I like that.”



Stacey shook her head and laughed, “What is going on down here? I leave for a few minutes and all hell breaks loose?”



“Rok!” AJ excitedly ran over to his big brother, “She said yes!” He pulled Stacey along and held out her ring so he could see.



“Wow, are you sure you want to marry this guy Stacey?”



“I don’t know…I’m already having my doubts.”



“Hey!”



“I can’t believe my little brother is beating me to the aisle.” Kevin said now hugging AJ tight. “I am so happy for the two of you.”



“Thanks Kev…where’s Nick?”



“I’m right here.” The family turned to look at the blonde who had snuck down the steps in the midst of all the excitement.



“Nicky…say hello to your new sister in law…to be!”



“Hi Stacey.”



“Hi baby, thanks for rescuing my ring from the sink.”



“You told her that AJ? Wow you’re an idiot.”



“Actually he prefers retard, but yes he told me, he had to when there was no ring in the box!”



“What? AJ you’re such a dildo!” Kevin shook his head in disbelief.



“Sure…fine…laugh at my expense everyone.”



“Don’t mind if we do!” Brian said as the family all laughed, not noticing how quiet their father was being, before he slipped out the door.



~*~*~*~*~*~*




Charlie looked at the man who hired him for the big job tomorrow and frowned. He didn’t want to be there right now, but when the man called and demanded he show, he had no choice. Truth was he wanted to tell this guy and everyone else in the world to just go fuck off and leave him alone.



“Are you listening to me?” He felt an abrupt shake on his shoulder and looked over to see the man in question glaring at him. “We can’t afford to go into our dream world right now!”



“Sorry, why am I here anyway? I thought everything was all ready to go.”



“It is, but due to some unforeseen circumstances, I felt it was best if I pulled you in to see if you could still handle this tomorrow.”



Charlie seemed surprised; it was as if this guy knew something had happened. “What circumstances?”



“Your sister’s death.”



“How the fuck did you…”



“Don’t worry about that right now Charlie, I need to make sure you are still on for tomorrow. Is everything in place?”



Charlie was slightly distracted, he wanted answers, this man better not have had anything to do with Nadia’s death. “Yes, everything is in place, all we have to do is put the briefcase in the basement.”



The man smiled, pleased with what he heard, “Okay good…I like you kid.”



“How did you know about my sister?”



“A man makes it his job to know about the people who work for him.”



“She didn’t deserve to die. I’m going to kill the bastard who did it!” Charlie said through gritted teeth.



This pleased the guy who was hoping the kid would be as angry as he was, “What if I told you I could find the name of the person who did that to your sister?”



“The stupid feds did it…”



“I know.”



Charlie looked up confused, “You do?”



The man nodded, “And I can get you the name of the person who’s responsible.”



“How?”



“I have my ways but then I might need you to do something else for me…what do you say? Does that sound like a fair trade?”



Charlie thought about it for a few seconds and then nodded. “It’s a deal.” He said taking the older man’s hand and shaking on it.



“I’ll call you with the information after you finish your job tomorrow…Charlie, good luck and remember there’s no room for screwing up!”



Charlie nodded and turned to leave. He was going to get his revenge and it would be so sweet!


Have a very Happy Easter and Passover everyone! :O)