- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm ahead of schedule! YAY me!! :O)

41

 

West Lake Drive

 

Howie sat silently next to Brian as they drove towards their destination. He kept rubbing his hand on his leg trying to ignore the wedding band that still sat on it. How could he have allowed himself to be used like this? How could he not have realized he was married to a monster all these years? Was he really that naïve? Did she ever love him?

 

 “I don’t know how I’m ever going to get over this.” Howie said out loud as he continued fidgeting in his seat.

 

As much as Brian wanted to say something to try to console Howie, he was at a loss for words. He didn’t blame his friend for any of it, but at the same time the smallest part of him was so angry that it was his wife that had caused all of this stress for his family. This was probably what it was like for those parents of kids who go into schools and randomly shoot tons of innocent children. Even though the parent’s had nothing to do with it, in everyone’s eyes they were guilty by association.

 

He hated feeling this way, but until he knew that AJ and Nick were safe, he couldn’t help but resent Howie a little bit.

 

“We need to get there soon!” Kevin senior said from the back of the car, ignoring Howie’s lament.

 

“I can’t believe she would actually set the house on fire with AJ in it.” Howie was now trying to focus his attention on the window instead of his wedding ring.

 

“Well, she did. She admitted it to Kevin and everything. I’m sorry Howie I really am but you do realize that we can’t let her get away with this, right?”

 

Howie looked over at Brian, “Of course I realize that.”

 

“She’s looking at a lot of serious jail time. I mean we have kidnapping and attempted murder and lord knows what else.”

 

“Forget about jail.”

 

That made Brian glance over his way, “What do you mean?”

 

“I don’t plan on letting her live long enough for jail time!”

 

Brian was taken back by the hatred filled with those words. “Howie, I know how you feel…”

 

“Do you Brian? You can’t possibly know how I feel.”

 

Brian thought about it for a second and remained silent. “You’re right.”

 

“I loved her and…she’s not getting away with it.”

 

“I won’t let you do anything stupid D. She’s not worth throwing your career away for.” Kevin senior said, putting a loving hand on the detective’s shoulder.

 

“I can never go back to the FBI after this. I’m going to resign.”

 

“Don’t be stupid Howie!” Brian stopped his thoughts when he turned onto the street and let out a huge sigh when he saw the flames shooting out of the top of the house as they got closer. “My God, I hope AJ made it out of there.” He said as he stopped the car. By the time they got there the street was pretty much tapped off for onlookers so they were forced to go the rest of the way on foot.

 

Howie just stood there looking at the house, numb. If she hurt or killed AJ he wouldn’t be able to handle it. He could barely keep it together now.

 

Brian searched the crowd for any sign of Kevin or AJ but not seeing either of them made him pick up his pace from jog to run. “I thought Kevin would be here by now!” He said turning towards Howie who was having a hard time keeping up.

 

When he finally reached a police officer he was relieved to find out that there was one person in the house but he made it out without any injuries. He was last seen leaving with an FBI agent. “Thank God.” Brian said just as Howie caught up to him. Brian’s Dad and a few more of their team were also making their way towards the fire.

 

“He got out and is with Kevin.” Brian said to Howie before he even had a chance to ask.

 

“Thank God.” Howie repeated as Brian picked up his phone and dialed Jack Robert’s number.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

 

Once Kevin and AJ were on the road, the first thing he did was call the main office and see if he could get a trace on Ariana’s phone again. The problem was no matter how many times he called her, she refused to pick up. She knew she was going to be traced. It was a stupid move to let her think Jack was in custody. “I am so stupid. I wasn’t even thinking.” He said to AJ as he threw down the phone in disgust. Now, they were just roaming down the road, hoping they were going in the right direction.

 

“You did what you felt you needed to do bro. At least you didn’t tell her he was dead.”

 

He nodded, “I almost did. She makes me so mad that she’s coloring my judgment.”

 

“I know what you mean.” AJ added. He hadn’t really told Kevin anything since they got in the car as the main focus up until that point was trying to get in touch with Ariana.

 

“Is Nick okay?” He looked over at AJ, “Patty said he was hurt.”

 

“I was worried, Jack brought him in unconscious, but then he came to. He seemed to be okay but I think his ankle is broken. I’m worried he’s going to try to do something stupid.”

 

“This is a nightmare. I can’t believe this is happening again.” Kevin said as he thought for a minute about trying to make the call again.

 

“I need to tell you some stuff she told me.”

 

“Go ahead…”

 

AJ took a deep breath. He wasn’t sure where to start. Everything he was about to tell his brother was going to sting but he thought this one piece of information would hurt less. “She’s our half sister.”

 

“What?”

 

“Dad had an affair and she was the result. That’s what this whole thing is about, revenge.”

 

“Jesus Christ.”

 

“That’s not even the worst part…”

 

“What else?”

 

“Kevin, she killed mom.” He paused for a minute to let Kevin absorb what he just said. The older brother just sat there quietly. “She didn’t tell me details but she said she’s the one that did it. My guess is, she had something to do with Nick’s initial kidnapping when he was a kid all those years ago.”

 

“This is crazy. Shit like this isn’t supposed to happen in real life.” He looked at the phone again and motioned for AJ to hand it over to him. He had to try one more time. “You don’t think she’ll kill him, do you?” He asked as he dialed her number again.

 

“I know it sounds nuts, but I don’t. For some reason, she’s latched on to Nick. It’s like he’s some kind of reward for her.”

 

“Good, because she’s not answering her damned phone!” He handed it back to AJ and decided to speed up. He knew she would be staying off the main roads because by now she probably figured out they had an APB on her. West Lake Drive was pretty much the only road she could take, that would keep her off the highway. He had to gamble and keep going on this road.

 

The phone ringing brought him out of his thoughts as he asked, “Is it her?” with great anticipation.

 

“It’s Brian.” AJ answered the phone, “Hey.”

 

“AJ, thank God you’re okay. Why the hell didn’t either of you call me to let me know you weren’t dead?”

 

“Sorry, Kev’s been trying to get a trace on Ariana’s cell but she’s not picking up.”

 

“Do you guys have Nick?” AJ felt like a failure when he heard the level of hope in his brother’s voice.

 

“No, she has him.”

 

“Damn! No.” He heard Brian relay the information to someone else in the car, most likely Howie.

 

“Maybe you guys will have better luck if you try calling her?”

 

AJ thought he was making a brilliant suggestion and so did Brian, until Kevin cut him off, “Be careful. She knows that Howie is aware of what she’s been up to. I told her Jack was in police custody.”

 

“Did you hear what Kev just said?” He asked his brother.

 

There was a pause followed by a “Yes, but maybe she’d be willing to talk to Howie or I over one of you.”

 

“Well if you do talk to the bitch, tell her I am alive and she can suck it!” AJ said in a very deep tone. He was sure she wouldn’t hurt Nick. Even if she knew he had made it out of the house alive. He was her last hope, especially now that she thought Jack was in their hands. “Maybe we can convince her we’d be willing to trade Jack for Nick.” He added.

 

“That’s an idea. Maybe it would work. Let me talk it over with Howie and dad and we’ll call you back.”

 

Kevin sighed, as the news AJ gave him earlier struck him once again,. “Mom really liked her a lot.”

 

AJ nodded, “I know.”

 

“Do you think Nicky knows?” Kevin asked even more worried about his youngest brother’s temper.

 

“I think he has known for a long time. I think he’s known all of this way before we did. He tried to tell me a thousand times but I didn’t listen…” AJ said as he rubbed at his eyes.

 

“We’ll find him AJ, and then we can all apologize to him until we’re old men.” He tried to smile in spite of how desperate he was feeling. He didn’t want to let on how nervous he was for his baby brother. Even though AJ was sure she wouldn’t do anything. A woman who would kill an innocent lady who showed her nothing but love, was not a woman who was stable enough to know the difference between right and wrong.

 

 

~*~*~~*~*~*~

 

Nick sat quietly in the car as the phone rang again. He knew it was Kevin, or maybe Howie. “They actually think I’m going to pick up the phone.” She laughed, “Do they think I was born yesterday or something?”

 

He didn’t answer her. He just wished he was able to reach the phone from where he was sitting. She had cuffed him to the door though and no matter how hard he struggled to break free, it was no use. He wasn’t going anywhere.

 

“You know Nick, we’re going to have a good life you and me and even Jack. I think you’ll like him.” Sure he was in custody at the moment, but she’d come up with a plan to get him out of there. They had worked too hard to give up now. “I know how much you hated living with your dad. We know he’s not a good man.”

 

Still he stayed quiet and he could tell it was bugging her. “And as far as AJ…just know he sacrificed himself to save you. He loved you that much sweetie.”

 

Nick laughed, which kind of took her by surprise. “You are one dumb bitch, you know that?”

 

She turned to look at him, “I know you’re upset so I’m going to let that slide but for future reference you will treat me with respect.”

 

“Or what?” He looked over at her, “What can you possibly do to me that you haven’t already done? You’ve destroyed my life. You don’t deserve my respect or anyone else’s. Nope, you’re just a dumb crazy ass bitch who will get what’s coming to her.”

 

“Just like your brother and mother got what was coming to them.” She said with coldness in her voice.”

 

“AJ’s not dead. You really think he would just stay in a burning house? I didn’t think you’d actually buy it but I guess he intended for you to be as stupid as you were.”

 

“There’s no way he could have gotten out…” she said, trying her best to remain cool and refusing to let this kid get the best of her.

 

“Oh please, he’s a fireman Ariana. He whispered to me before we left he had a way out and that he was coming to find me.”

 

“He probably just told you that to make you feel better.” Her voice was rising slightly and that made Nick smile. He knew he was getting to her. His plan was working, nicely.

 

“Or maybe he did get out of there and is on your tail with Kevin and the rest of my family as well.”

 

“I’m your only family now.”

 

“You aren’t my family and you never will be.”

 

“You can’t hurt my feelings Nick. I know you’re trying your best but it won’t work. I’m not one of the little bratty kids you go to school with. It’ll take more than petty name calling to get to me.”

 

“It’s not name calling. I am just telling the truth. You are one crazy bitch. I mean there’s crazy and then there’s shit ass bonkers and that’s you. Only someone mentally unstable would actually think a person would let themselves burn to death.” He let out another laugh, “God, the more I think about the funnier it gets!”

 

“Shut up!” she said, smacking him across his face.

 

“I thought I couldn’t hurt your feelings.” He answered as he spit a small amount of blood out of his mouth.

 

The phone rang again, “I am ready to throw this stupid thing out the window!”

 

“It’s probably AJ.” He said, refusing to give up.

 

“He’s dead!” She screamed.

 

“I bet he’s not. Maybe you should pick up the phone and ask, unless you’re chicken.”

 

His plan worked like a charm as she picked up the phone and screamed, “Who the hell is this?”

 

“It’s me.” Was Howie’s cold reply.

 

“Oh, hi sweetheart.”

 

“Don’t call me that.”

 

“Fine, I’m hanging up now.”

 

“Wait…aren’t you going to ask him?” Nick urged, followed by a few chicken clucks.

 

“I know you’re trying to trace this call. I won’t be on long enough for you to do that. I just need you to confirm for Nick over here, that his big brother is really dead.”

 

“Does that mean you’ll let me talk to him?”

 

She put Howie on speakerphone. “Go ahead.”

 

“Nicky?”

 

“Howie!”

 

“Tell him about AJ, Howie. I don’t have all day.” She said looking at her watch, ready to disconnect the call at any minute.

 

“AJ is fine! He got out of the house and is with Kevin. We’re coming to get you!”

 

Ariana’s cool demeanor was gone, just like that. “Stop lying to the child!” She screamed.

 

“I’m not lying.”

 

Then Nick shouted, “Howie! We’re in a car traveling on West Lake Drive….hurry!”

 

She tried to disconnect the phone but with his left leg, he kicked at her as hard as he could sending the phone sailing out of her hand as her other hand left the steering wheel. The car veered out of control as Nick kicked again, this time making contact with her face. She let out a scream of pain as they flew off of the road and rolled over into a ditch.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Howie sat there in silence as he heard the commotion on the other end of the line. He wasn’t sure what was happening but he could tell there was some kind of struggle going on.

 

“Hello? Ariana? Nick! Someone speak to me!” He insisted when he heard his wife scream. It sounded faint, so he could tell she had dropped the phone.

 

“Howie, what’s going on?” Brian asked frantically when he saw the expression on his friend’s face.

 

“I’m not sure…Nicky? Ariana?” He asked urgently. “He said he was on West Lake Drive.” Howie said before trying to get either of them on the phone again. “Ariana?”

 

“This is West Lake Drive!” Brian said as he gained speed up the hill and towards his brother. “Tell me what’s going on. Are they still on the phone?”

 

Brian was having a hard time concentrating while listening to the anxiety in Howie’s voice as he repeatedly called his wife and Nick’s name. “Call Kevin and let him know where they are!” Howie said, not wanting to tell Brian that he was pretty sure he just heard the car crash.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~

 

It felt like they rolled forever although it was probably just once. He knew it was a chance he had to take. He realized the accident was worth the risk. The best he could do was brace for it, but being cuffed to the door didn’t really work in his favor. He repeatedly knocked his head against the glass as the car rolled and now that the car was actually lying on its side he felt blood congealing around his head.

 

Surprisingly he didn’t feel any pain. He wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. He was having a hard time keeping his eyes opened though. All he wanted to do was sleep. He tried to jiggle his way out of the cuffs but he used all of his strength kicking the shit out of Ariana, who seemed to be unconscious above him. He was hoping for dead but he was pretty sure he heard her let out a small whimper.

 

“They’ll be here soon.” He became scared when he heard the weakness in his own voice. He almost didn’t even recognize it. Another reason to be scared was the smallest scent of smoke. He couldn’t tell where it was coming from and was hoping it was just the tires, but the feel of heat changed his mind as he saw out of the corner of his eye, a small flame coming from behind him.

 

Thoughts went back to the house and the lighter fluid Ariana poured all over him as he began to struggle with all his might to break out of the car before it and he went up in flames.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed! I'll be back with the final chapter next weekend and yes I mean final this time! lmao well...maybe. Okay i'll be back with the NEXT chapter at some point next weekend! :OP