- Text Size +
~ 6 ~



Troubled child…






AJ just kept staring at his little brother on the ride back to his father’s house. Nick didn’t say one word, but only stared straight ahead as if he was on the way to the gas chamber. Just seeing the bruise on his little brother’s face brought about a whole new wave of anger but he did his best to try to squelch it and instead tried to get the little one’s mind off of things.



“So...are there any girls you are crushing on kiddo?”



“What?”



“Crushing, you have any hotties waiting in the wings?”



“God AJ, no one says crushing anymore…and no, not really.”



“Aww come on…there has to be somebody.”



“AJ, look I understand that you feel the need to make small talk with me as you throw me back to dad but seriously, there’s no need.”



“I’m not throwing you at anybody Nickolas.”



“Yeah…whatever.”



“You were at the graveyard weren’t you?” That made Nick turn to face his brother. When AJ saw that he continued, “When Howie told me where he picked you up; I figured that’s where you were coming from.”



“I wasn’t at the graveyard.”



AJ nodded, even though he knew the truth. It scared him a little how often the baby of the family ventured out to see their mother. He thought no one knew but they all did. Actually, once he followed Nick. The kid had stormed out of his house like he so often did and because AJ was afraid he would try to run once again, he had tailed him. Right to the graveyard where it broke his heart to watch as his little brother balled his eyes out telling his mom all the things he wished Nicky would just tell him.



“You know you can talk to me about anything right? I’m your buddy…remember that.”



“Yeah, unless you have something better to do.”



“Nick you’re not being fair…”



“Oh look, we’re here.” And that cut their conversation short.



When they walked inside they found their father sitting on the recliner and instantly the television was placed on mute as he stood up to approach his children, “Where were you?”



Nick didn’t answer, instead he turned towards AJ and said, “Thanks for the ride…I’m going to bed now.”



Kevin senior didn’t even try to stop him, he just watched as he ran up the steps and into his room. Once he heard the familiar door slam, he turned towards AJ, “Was he with you this entire time?”



“No dad…actually he was beat up pretty bad by some kid who stole his skateboard.”



“What?”



“He didn’t want you to know but I had to tell you. So, please be gentle on him. He was at the graveyard visiting mom.”



Kevin sighed as he sat back down in his chair, “Oh.”



“Dad…I know he doesn’t mean the things he might say to you.”



“That’s just it AJ, he doesn’t say anything to me.” He paused for a second, lost in his own thoughts before continuing, “Is he hurt? Do I need to bring him to the doctors?”



“I am pretty sure he’s okay but if he is complaining of shortness of breath I would say yes. It looks like he got kicked in the ribs.”



“Jesus…”



“Dad, everything will be okay.” AJ smiled when he said that and pat his dad on the shoulder. He wasn’t very close to his father either to be honest, but he did understand where the man was coming from. He also understood that deep down inside, the guy was doing his best.



After AJ went home Kevin senior climbed the stairs and stood by his son’s door for a long time, wanting to knock but deciding against it. Nick was lying on his bed, wrapped inside of a blanket and facing the wall, overcome with so much anger and emotion it was almost overwhelming to him. When he heard the creak of the floor boards signaling that his father chose to not knock he shut the light and tried to will sleep to come.



~*~*~*~*~*~*




The next morning, Kevin and Brian decided to try Anita’s house once more. Maybe they’d have more luck if they reached her house before school started. At least there would be a chance that Patty would be home to answer the door. It was harder to hide when you had somewhere to be.



Sure enough, they were right. Shortly after 8 am Anita, clad in her bathrobe and slippers opened the door. “Did you forget something baby?” She asked before looking up and seeing the agents standing there.



Her look of surprise gave way to a one of recognition and she smiled and grabbed Kevin into a hug, “Well Kevin Richardson…look at you.” She pulled away from him after a few seconds. “You look wonderful.”



“Thanks Mrs. Nicosia...”



“Please call me Anita.”



She then glanced over at Brian, not recognizing him at first. “This couldn’t be Brian could it?”



“Yes ma’am.”



“So, what brings you here at this early hour? Where’s my manners…come on in.”



“Thanks.” They both followed her into the house.



Anita looked a little different, her hair once brown now highlighted by grays. “How is Nicky? You know I was just thinking about him the other day.”



“He’s good.”



“And AJ?” She grabbed two more mugs off her shelf for each boy and then motioned for them to help themselves to some coffee.



“Everyone is fine...actually we are here to ask you a few questions.”



“About what?”



Kevin took out a picture and showed it to Anita, who placed it closer to her face to get a better look. “This is Ken Jackson, he’s a good man. Why are you asking about Ken, do you need a lawyer?”



“No, actually this is official business.”



“Oh, silly me…so Brian you are an agent too now?”



“Yes.”



“I didn’t even realize that people knew we were back in town. How quickly the FBI comes and knocks on our door.” Her tone was sarcastic as her demeanor changed slightly, now taking on more of a defensive quality.



“Anita, the Jackson’s were murdered a few days ago. We are just trying to gather as much information on them as we can and we noticed your name come up on his rolodex.”



She pulled her bathrobe closer to her body now as if a sudden chill came into the room, “Murdered?”



“Yes.”



“Kevin I had nothing to do…”



“I know…we’re here just for any information you might have on him. How you knew him. Any insight you might be able to offer.”



She sat back a little more at ease, “He helped us after John’s passing. He did pretty much everything for us from funeral arrangements to helping us sort out the will and moving. He was one of the only people in this town to offer us support.”



Kevin felt bad for that, it was true though, after everyone found out what a snake John Nicosia was, they all distanced themselves from Anita and her daughter, just when they needed support most. That list included the Richardsons who were grieving themselves.



“So, you know him only in a professional capacity?”



She looked up and nodded, “I can’t believe someone would to that to him.”



“There’s someone else I was hoping you could help us out with.” Once again Kevin took out a photograph but this time it was of the boy who was killed and his mother.



Anita looked it over for a few minutes then gave it back, “I’m sorry. I have never seen these people before.”



“Your name was on their phone records as well.”



Once again she shook her head, “I have no idea why. I’m really sorry.” Kevin smiled and stood up, once again shaking the older woman’s hand.



“Thanks for your time Anita, we really appreciate it.”



“Kevin…how are you boys holding up after your mother’s death?”



“Some days it’s hard but otherwise, we are doing okay.”



“How about Nick?”



“It’s never easy losing a parent, especially when you’re still a small child; he has his good days and his bad ones.”



“Tell him we are thinking about him. I know Patty talks about him from time to time. I’m sure she’d love to see him.”



“I’ll pass that along to him….thanks again Anita.”



“I hope you find out what happened to the Jacksons.”



Brian gave her a warm hug and then the brothers walked out the front door. Once they got into the car, Kevin turned towards his younger brother, “She’s lying.”



“About what?”



“I don’t know…but you can tell by her posture shifts and lack of eye contact, she’s not telling us something.”



“Maybe she was just uncomfortable, I mean they just got back into town and already the FBI is bugging them.”



“Brian, that’s not it. She’s hiding something.”



“Well for her sake, I hope you’re wrong.”



“Me too…” Kevin started the car, “But I’m not…” He said as they continued the drive to the office.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~






When Nick woke up for school, he was so achy he thought about asking his dad if he could have the day off but when he realized that it would mean not only having to answer a ton of questions about why he wanted the day off but also would be spending the whole day with his dad, he thought better of it and dragged himself to school.



He hated school with a passion, it’s not that it was hard for him or anything; it just seemed like the biggest waste of time. He had no use for the college level courses he was taking. When the heck would he even use Algebra or feel the need to randomly dissect a dead cat. It seemed like school was invented as a place to occupy a kid’s time while their parents worked.



He also hated the clicks that came with high school. It was the same in junior high but here it just escalated. In one corner you had the Goth kids, in their black outfits wearing eyeliner, and mascara trying so hard to be cool that they were anything but. In the other corner you had the jocks, pushing smaller guys into lockers and bragging about the games they won and the girls they did along the way, knowing they were probably more virginal than Mary herself.



Freshman like him, kind of stayed in their own little world, away from all the older guys who could potentially cause them harm. They sat so close together at lunch they looked like kittens lying in a big box waiting for the perfect owner to come and grab them up. That wasn’t Nick though, he didn’t fit in any of those clicks.



That’s why he found himself sitting alone outside on the front steps during his lunch period. Away from everyone, that’s the way he preferred it anyway. He had his friends but if he had to chose between hanging with them and being by himself, he’d choose the latter every time.



Other clicks always tried to get him to join them. The jocks waving, recognizing his last name and thinking about AJ or Brian and how well they did in sports, more so Brian than AJ. The cheerleaders always flirted and giggled with him as he walked past them but for the life of him he had no idea why. He always felt like he was being mocked.



The burnouts, who also tended to hang outside during lunch, would occasionally come up and talk to him, “Yo, dude this and yo dude that.” While Nick would politely nod and act like he gave a damn when he didn’t.



He did enjoy a few of their skateboarding skills and occasionally he would even hang with them after school, but when his father found out that two of the five guys he hung with were at one point arrested for possession of narcotics, his dad refused to let him speak to them anymore.



“Hey Richardson…” Nick looked up and rolled his eyes.



Then there was the ever popular, ‘rough crowd’ the ones who got into trouble all the time, ended up in detention as much as they were in school and would get suspended just about every other day for fighting, vandalism or reckless behavior. Guys like Charlie.



“What do you want Charlie, I’m eating my lunch.”



Charlie sat down next to him which made Nick scoot over a bit. He was hungry and so help him if the kid was going to try to steal his lunch. There would be hell to pay.



“I just wanted to say, I admire the way you handled your situation yesterday. Kids a whole lot older and bigger than you have run away scared.”



“Oh…well that’s’ too bad for them.”



“You’re not afraid of me at all are you Richardson?”



“No, I’m not.” He said turning to face Charlie to show him exactly how unafraid he was.



“That’s quite a bruise you got there.” He said, grabbing Nick’s chin rather roughly, before letting go.



“Yeah, you have a pretty bad one too.” Nick smiled as he took another bite of his sandwich.



Charlie’s face turned red as he let his anger get the better of him, “So, one of your damn brothers came right after I got your skateboard last night. He took it from me.”



“That wasn’t my brother, and he stopped you because you were stupid enough to be bringing attention to yourself.” Nick once again rolled his eyes at the idiot, who seemed to be getting madder by the second, but also more amused.



“I want it back.”



“Well, that’s too bad for you then.”



“Maybe you didn’t hear me…I said I want it back.” This time Charlie grabbed Nick’s sandwich and flung it off his lap and to the ground.



Nick just sat there, not even acting like anything had happened. After sitting a few seconds in silence, Charlie added “Well?”



“Charlie…sometimes we don’t always get what we want. Like for instance, I wanted to finish that sandwich. I was really hungry and had no breakfast but then you knocked it to the floor, so I will not get to finish my sandwich. I gave you my skateboard, you were an idiot and had it taken away. No longer my problem.”



Charlie got up and stood directly in front of Nick, kicking his shin really hard, “It is your problem.”



“Didn’t anyone ever teach you to keep your hands and your feet to yourself?”



“You think you’re really funny, don’t you Richardson?”



“Yes, actually I do.”



“Well, let’s so who has the last laugh. I say it’s time you and I had it out.”



“Fine, when would you like to ‘have it out’” Nick asked making sure to sound as humdrum as possible, even though by now his heart was beating so fast he was afraid his chest was going to explode.



“Today after school, in your favorite place...the graveyard.”



“Fine…”



“I’ll be looking forward to beating the living daylights out of you Richardson; you might want to have that paramedic brother of yours on call.”



“Uh…I don’t have a paramedic brother but thanks for the tip.”



Charlie gave him one more kick then walked away. Once the coast was clear Nick shook his head and did his best to calm his nerves. What the hell was he going to do now? If he ran, he’d be a coward and the bullying would never stop. “I’m going to do it I guess…” He said to his half eaten sandwich as he picked it up and plopped it into the garbage.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~




“So you think she was lying to you guys?”



“Howie you should have seen her, she was calm as anything but when we asked her about the phone records for the second family she was a nervous wreck.”



“I didn’t think so.” Brian interjected as they all sat in Kevin’s office going over the days findings.



“You weren’t paying close enough attention Bri.”



“Or maybe I’m just not that quick to jump to conclusions.”



“So that’s what you think I’m doing? I don’t want her to be lying Brian…I’m just saying she was.”



“Well, seems none of use had any luck today then. All my leads came up dry as well. Seems like no one wants to admit to knowing this Camacho kid.” Howie said, trying to break up the tension between the two brothers.



“So you didn’t have any luck tracking down his buddies then D?”



“No, apparently they all stopped talking to him shortly before his death. Quite the coincidence if you ask me.”



“And what about the mother?”



“That was a dead end too. Everyone we tried said they didn’t really talk to her much, seems like the only person to help so far is the cousin.”



Kevin rubbed his eyes in frustration, feeling that all too familiar headache that came with these cases coming on now. “Well, I guess that’s all we can do today. Thanks guys, for your work.”



Howie nodded and started for the door but then turned around, “Hey Kev?”



“Yeah?”



“How do you think Nicky would react if Ariana and I invited him out somewhere with us for a weekend?”



“Why would you do that?”



“It’s something we’ve been talking about. You know we’re both crazy about the kid and I know your dad could probably use a break from him.”



“I don’t know D, it’s hard to say what goes on in that kids brain anymore.” Kevin paused for a second to collect his thoughts before continuing, “I called my dad last night and when I asked to talk to Nick he said the kid was sleeping and it was barely 10 o’clock.”



Howie nodded, figuring out that Kevin had no clue what had happened and suddenly wanting to keep it that way. “Well, thanks…maybe we’ll ask him the next time we see him.”



“D, I think he’d love the invite, even if he acts like he’s nonchalant about it.”



Kevin smiled at his best friend; Howie was always so good to his family.



“Oh and Kev, you should come over for dinner as well sometimes soon.”



“I will.”



Howie nodded and then walked out the door to meet his wife. Brian stayed back for a second, “How is Nick? We were so busy today I didn’t even think to ask.”



“He’s okay; dad seemed so hopeless when talking about him. I hate that, it’s like he has no idea how to relate to the kid at all.”



“He kind of doesn’t. I mean think about it Kev,”



“I know…I just wish there was a way to make it easier on everyone.”



“Yeah I know what you mean. I hate the fact that he’s such a troubled child.” Brian looked down at the ground and bit at his bottom lip. Kevin couldn’t do anything but nod.



~*~*~*~*~*~*




Nick sat by his mother’s tombstone, butterflies flitting in his stomach as he waited for Charlie. So many times during the day, he thought of running, turning around and going back home. ‘Let them make fun of me, I don’t care.’ But his days of being scared and being a victim were over. He wasn’t going to let anything happen like that again. He still had nightmares about those days he was all alone in that house. Scared to death wondering when his mom and brothers was going to come and get him.



Seeing his mother tied to a chair as fire went up all around her sometimes hit him in the middle of the day. He now has an intense fear of fire that no one knows about. He is even too afraid to light a match.



Those were just some of the scars left behind, none of them visible, but all hanging on his heart and making it hard to breathe sometimes.



“Mom, I’m about to get my ass kicked…” He giggled under his breath, despite the mood he was in, “I’m sorry I said ass…you would have probably punished me for that. At least that’s what the guys say whenever I cuss which isn’t much…I promise.”



He stood up, getting ready to walk to the front entrance and meet his fate, “Wish me luck mom and I’m sorry for constantly disappointing you.” He placed his hand on the tombstone and closed his eyes, letting memories of his mother’s touch try to calm him down. She was always able to calm his fears, he has forgotten what that felt like.



While he was consumed in his memories, he didn’t feel someone staring at him from behind the trees or hear as they approached him slowly.

Hey there! Thanks for reading. Hopefully i'll see ya in a week!