- Text Size +
Chapter Four


He awoke with a start in her bed. The sheets were scattered around the bed but it was enough to cover her remotely. He sat up shivering in the darkness. There were streams of sunlight seeping through the cream-colored blinds sprayed on the opposite wall to the window. He looked at the clock and cursed. Jumping from the bed he grabbed his clothes. He’d swing by his place and do a quick shower. Breakfast could be received from McDonald’s and eaten while on the way. He was late. Five minutes at that.

“What are you doing?” she asked and he looked at her still for a moment.

“I’m really sorry for leaving with a late notice but work calls.” He said and he pulled up his pants. The shirt was slipped on and he grabbed his coat.

“I had real fun yesterday.” She said softly. Her hand was rubbing over her face and he nodded.

“Thanks. So’d I. I’ll call you later.” He said and the door slammed behind him. He ran and hopped in his car and sped off. It took a total of ten minutes to get home. Fifteen for a shower and brushing of his teeth and washing of his face. He was out and officially forty minutes late.

“Damn it!” he growled as a car slammed hard on it’s brakes in front of it. He swerved and just avoided a collision. He pulled the car around and sped down the street when the light turned green.

He pulled into the small shop and hopped out. They could sue him since he took up two spaces. He at that point really didn’t care. He pushed open the door and stopped. She stood there with a small smile and a small bag of chocolates.

“Hi Howard.” She greeted softly. He closed the door behind him and walked in. He walked around her and greeted the secretary Evelyn.

“Where’s Micheal?” he asked and she smiled as if to say he was lucky.

“Sick.” He sighed with relief, “Thank you.” He said and he began to his studio.

“Howard.” He mustered all the anger he could get in his response.

“What?” he asked curtly. She starred at him and the smile slowly dissipated.

She brushed past him into his studio and he groaned. He closed the door with a little slam.

“Can I help you? Want to learn guitar?”

“You know,” she growled throwing the box of chocolates at him hard. He moved quick enough to block the box, “fuck you.”

“You came in here to throw chocolate at me?” he asked, “That really hurt.”

“I love you and you act as though we’re not together okay. I gave you a couple weeks to cool before I made my appearance again.” She said and she ran her hands through her hair pacing slowly. He starred at her.

“Jessi,” he said, “It was over when I left.” He said softly and her head snapped his way. Her hands dropped to his sides as she gaped at him.

“Howard no.” she pleaded, “Damn it, I’m sorry. We need to work this out. Please can we work this out.” She pleaded and he shook his head slowly.

“No…we can’t.” he replied softly.

“Please, I know you’re mad at me but this has to work. I have to prove I can have a steady relationship that doesn’t have to circle around sex. Please Howard, give me another chance. I’m clean okay. I’m new. No pills, no alcohol, I’m all for you.” She said and she starred at him into his eyes. He looked away.

She was beautiful with the most intense eyes he had ever seen.

“I…I can’t do this.” He said shaking his head. He began out of the studio slowly. She rushed after him and grabbed his arm pulling him around.

“I love Howard! I can’t live without you.” She said, “I…I really…can’t.” she pleaded, “I’m desperate…I’ll do anything.”

She touched his face hesitantly at first but when she pressed her body against his everything old was beautiful again. Everything new was almost like a tragic. His heart raced like it used to and his senses ignited again. He could smell her soft perfume radiating off of her and he drank in the sweet smell. He felt her breath before her soft lips brushed against his. He was entranced, almost pulled in. He could feel her tongue slip through his lips slowly and he almost couldn’t resist her.

He broke the kiss looking away.

“I can do better than you.” He said softly as he remembered that ugly day when he had walked in on them. The groceries hitting the surface and his heart hit the floor. He could hear her moans and hear him grunting. He could still remember her begging him like she was now. Her plan was to get him back by seducing him but he fought back, he had to. He could do better than that, than her.

“What?” she asked and he could see her pain and inside he laughed. He was happy. Now she was as hurt as he was.

“No. I’ve moved on.” He said and opened the door, “You need to leave.” He said and she starred at him with so much pain he could almost feel it seeping through him. Her look was of betrayal and hurt. She was in total disbelief. She cleared her throat and walked out. He let the door close and he picked up his guitar. He watched her car speed from the parking lot onto the street. He sighed rubbing his face. Oh he still loved her but his pain every time he saw her just killed him.