- Text Size +
Chapter Five


The sunset was beautiful that day with colors of yellow and pink as it sat just above the ocean. It was mixed in swirls of red and purple with a hint of orange. He took the long way home and just decided to walk. He knew he’d regret leaving his car the next morning but right then, the air was cool but warm enough for a small jacket and flip flops that he still wore from earlier. He found himself thinking about life as he walked but he closed his mind to her, about her. He didn’t want to think about her but it was hard, he had a new love in his life. A new relationship that he could keep that could be loyal.

From home to work, it took close to an hour and a half and he was out of breath as he walked faster as it got darker. As a male, especially for his small height, no one would have a problem taking a bite out of his wallet.

He arrived and she was gone. His day had been so long and he was exhausted. He fell on the couch and starred at the phone. It was so far away to him that he reached with a small smile and his land fell limply to the couch. He could reach the remote which sat on the floor and he flipped the television on. He starred at the screen as the 1985 classic of a Japanese spoken Godzilla played on the screen. He closed his eyes as voices and fake screens echoed within his head as he slowly drifted off.

He jerked awake at the sound of the phone. He shook his head and picked it up pressing talk.

“Yeah,” he said rubbing his eyes; He hadn’t even known he had fallen asleep. Godzilla was over and Mad Max was on.

“Hey.” She said over the phone happily. He grinned widely and leaned back on the couch. He peeked an eye open and pressed enter on the remote. The time was 10:32. He sighed.

“Hey.” He answered back and she giggled. He couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Did I wake you? It seems like I woke you?” she asked grinning, “Got Yahoo?”

“What?” he laughed and she sighed.

“Do you have Yahoo?”

“I have a computer with Internet where I can reach Yahoo.” He said and she laughed.

“Yahoo messenger dude.” She said. He could hear a continuous clicking sound.

“Yes, what are you doing?”

“What’s your screen name?”

“None of your business sweetheart.” He said with a smile and he stood to his feet and walked over to his computer pressing it on. She giggled.

“Oh,” she said giggling uncontrollably, “If it’s Big D it is so okay to tell me. You’re a guy and it can be expected.” He laughed and snickered.

“No no no! I mean well…” he said shrugging and she screamed.

“Well, I did have an experience with it and I was not disappointed.” She said with a sly grin that he could hear over the phone.

“HowardD73.” He said as he poured ingredients to make a smoothie in a blender. He turned it on and walked out.

“Get on Messenger. I’m AppleBaby5.” She said and he snickered.

“What?” he laughed, “Apple what?” he laughed hard and stopped the blender after logging on to Messenger.

“What the hell was that?” she asked and he poured the smoothie into a cup.

“I’m making a smoothie.” He said and she giggled.

“So that’s how you keep those abs. Healthy fruit drinks. I don’t give a damn. Starbucks Izzies, Coca Cola and Sprite with one hundred calories and two hundred grams of sugar with a nice enormous greese dripping cheese burger with some ribs...oooo…”

“I’ll just say dinner with my mom and I gain all the weight I need for a year.” He said and she giggled, “Okay AppleBaby5.” He said sipping on the smoothie as he starred at the computer screen, “I’m on.” She screamed happily.

“The picture! Oh my gosh it’s adorable!”

“I was nine and it was picture day.” He laughed.

“Oh I love it!” she yelled, “Look at that curl!” she said referring to the curls that graced his forehead and face.

“Your hair was longer than mine.” She grinned, “It’s down to your shoulders and all.” She said, “And I think it’s adorable.” She said and text popped up on his screen. He hung up the phone typed back.

HowardD73: Hello back
AppleBaby5: hello back back
HowardD73: You tired?
AppleBaby5: nope hyper
HowardD73: How
AppleBaby5: cuz I dunno, u sleepy
HowardD73: Yep
AppleBaby5: well ima let u get to sleep. U off 2morow
HowardD73: No but I am Saturday
AppleBaby5: What time, I work to five
HowardD73: Then I pick you up at six?
AppleBaby5: sure. Ill still be hyper as hell
HowardD73: lol
AppleBaby5: obviously ure computer language illiterate
HowardD73: I guess you could say that. I like speaking English.
AppleBaby5: can you habla Spanish
HowardD73: si senorita
AppleBaby5: ooo, well ima let u go 2 sleep
HowardD73: gracias, night
AppleBaby5: night


He signed off and fell against the couch. He smiled and curled up with a pillow.

“I’ll go to bed later.” He mumbled and he laid against the couch promising himself that he would rest his eyes for five seconds before he went to the bed room and took a shower.