- Text Size +
Brian and Nick flew just above the treetops. Brian gripped Minako tightly, his wings flapping strongly. Nick trailed behind them, his wings flapping laboriously and sporadically. Brian glanced back toward Nick, then to the ground, before motioning his descent to Nick. Brian glided to a stop and gently landed in a grove of trees a great distance from the palace, the gate, and the civilization of Emeradotouhou, but still deep in the heart of the country. Nick’s wings flapped jerkily as he landed on shaking legs. Brian set Minako down lightly next to a tree and sat next to her calmly. He took a deep breath, filling his lungs with fresh air. Nick collapsed to his knees and breathed in heavily. He knew he was dropping blood every second, but he was just too numb, he could not feel any pain. He crawled toward the closest tree and leaned against it, catching his breath. His eyes opened and shut slowly as he breathed in the pure air.

“Don’t close your eyes,” Brian told him as he stood up.

Nick chuckled, “Why… is… that…?”

“With wounds like that, you could die if you sleep,” Brian told him very seriously.

Nick chuckled again, “Do… you… really… think… I’d… die… so… easily…?”

“We’re safer here, but not entirely safe yet.” He scanned the trees around them, “You need to recover at least a little bit so we can get somewhere safer quickly.”

Nick raised the knee on his uninjured right side and rested his hand on it, “I’ll… try…”

Brian shook his head. “I saw a river back there. I can catch some fish and we’ll start a fire, okay?”

Nick smiled faintly, “Sure…”

Brian left hurriedly through an empty path, a small separation in the grove. If I don’t return quickly, my companions could die. There has to be a power strong enough to heal them, but I don’t have it. Does anyone? And can we find it in time?

Nick watched him disappear through the opening and his breathing calmed. He closed his eyes fully and leaned his head back against the tree as he exhaled a large breath. That general… His power was immense… The demons of Emeradotouhou were very different from the demons of Safaiananpou… Much more powerful… Or they seemed that way compared to me. Even Brian seemed incredibly powerful. Am I the only weak one?

Nick heard a small groan and opened his eyes as quickly as his strength would allow. Minako’s small body shook as she struggled to open her eyes. Nick breathed another sigh of relief. She's okay, thank goodness. I can still tell her... He braced himself on the tree and stood up, gripping the tree as he pulled himself up against it. He tightened his grip as he took his first step. His walking was slow and labored, but he managed to drag his beaten body to Minako before collapsing beside her. He pulled her into his arms, leaning on her head briefly before reclining back against the tree behind him. He held her body tightly, gripping her waist and shoulders within his strong grasp. If I hold her tightly, she will stay with me. We’ll go to the next place together. Whether that’s Safaiananpou… or even death...

Minako opened her eyes slowly, and for a moment, they retained an unseeing clear coloring. As her vision came into focus, she saw the green trees and grass surrounding her, but also a little blackness. This isn’t the shrine room… My heart’s beating wildly, but it feels safe and warm… Like I’m being surrounded by warmth and protection... She lifted her hand slowly. Arms? She gripped the arms as she looked up to see Nick’s smiling bloody face. She gasped as tears began to fall from her eyes. “Nick…”

Nick chuckled, “It’s… fine…”

Minako sobbed as she lifted her hand to Nick’s face, touching the dried blood on his bruised cheek and running her finger over the raised slits in his skin.

“Are… you… o...kay...?”

“I wanted… to protect you… I was worried that if you came to Emeradotouhou that it would be painful for you….” The tears poured down Minako’s face chipping away at some of the dried blood on her face. “I was right.”

“But… you… got… hurt…”

“So did you…”

“I... wan...ted… to… take… care… of… you…” He pulled her closer under his chin, “Our… pro...mise…”

Minako wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned against his chest. “I wanted to take care of you too… Our promise... I should have told you… I thought the best way I could take care of you was if you didn’t come...”

Nick winced, but hid the expression by leaning on her head as he ran his hand through her hair, “Just… tell… me… I’ll… go… any...where… for… you... do… any...thing… for... you…”

She tightened her grip, “Our promise really did mean something to me!”

Nick winced again as he lifted his head, then weakly grasped her chin and lifted her face so he could see it, “Mi...na...ko… I…”

“Nick…”

Nick leaned down and kissed Minako’s lips hard and urgently. Her eyes fluttered shut as she met his lips with the same urgency. He gripped her waist tightly, but held her face gently. His touch and kiss were consuming, with the same fiery whisper against her skin. She pulled back and took in a gasping breath as she ran her fingers along his cheeks. Her touch sparked and soothed his skin all at once as he met her lips again in a heated passion. She grasped at the folds of his tunic at his chest and raised her hand toward his neck, threading her fingers through his hair. The more she tightened her fingers around him and pulled on his clothing and hair, the closer he pulled her to his chest and lips. Her heart beat rapidly in her chest as he nipped at her bottom lip. She nipped lightly at his neck as he ran his fingers through her hair. She pulled away from him for a moment as she gripped his shoulder tightly. Instead of meeting her lips again, he clasped her in a tight embrace against his chest and the uninjured side of his abdomen.

“Nick…”

“Promise me… you won’t… leave me…”

Tears formed in Minako’s eyes. She held Nick’s neck and wrapped her arm around his shoulder. She pulled him toward her again. “No… Never again…” She caressed Nick’s lips lightly with her own.

Nick pulled her closer to him. He kissed her lips shortly and pulled up her hand from his neck, lacing his fingers in hers. “Stay with me… forever…”

She gave him a gentle kiss. “I’ll stay… Stay with me too…”

“Anything… for you…” He ran his thumb across her cheek, “Minako… I…”

She pressed another gentle kiss to his lips.

His lips curved into a small smile as he responded with a similarly gentle kiss. He pulled back from her, his eyes roving her face with the same brightness as his smile.

She took in a quick breath and leaned back towards him. Instead of resting his forehead on hers or pressing a kiss to her lips, he pressed a kiss to her forehead, then pulled back with the same serene smile.

“Nick?”

“Minako… I... love you.”

“Nick…” She blinked, but smiled.

“You’ve always… seen me… for who I am…” He pulled her close to his chest again, “You make me… want to try… to be more… and to be… who you’re sure…. I am....”

She tightened her hold on his hand.

“And you are… so loyal… and brave… kind… and… comforting… You’re always… thinking of others... and surrounded… in this… bright light…” He leaned his head on her forehead, “I love you… Did I… tell you too late?”

Minako shook her head as she ran her fingers against his collar bone, “Me too… I love you too… Your gentleness… and your strength of heart… your drive to protect everything you care about… Your willingness to try anything...”

“Minako…” He kissed her hand that intertwined his fingers, then her neck, then her lips. Minako tightened her grip on his shoulder. Nick winced a little in pain and pulled back his lips, unable to hide his expression.

Minako loosened her grip as her tears fell from her eyes. “I’m… so sorry…” She moved her hand to his neck. “How did you…?”

Nick let out a small growl. “The Emerald general. I couldn’t let him… hurt you… Not when I… had to tell you...” He kissed her lips briefly.

Minako pulled Nick closer to her and held his neck tightly. She embraced him as she nestled into his chest. “Don’t put yourself in senseless danger like that! What would I do without you…?”

“I won’t… I’ll do anything… you ask....” He kissed her lips gently again. This warm glow.... Does Minako have healing powers? It's like my pain is washing away, bathed in light. Is this your strength, Minako? Can your light fix my heart and my body? “Hold… me… forever...” he whispered in her ear.

“I’ll never let you go…”

Nick held her tightly and wrapped his wings around her back. He pulled her lips toward his and caressed them softly. They held each other close and protected each other with their warm arms. The glow that surrounded them echoed their promise, their loyalty, their love. It was a whisper of all the words they’d said and a beacon toward all the words they would say. It was their promise and wish for forever lightly gleaming and close enough to touch.

~*~

The small, brightly colored fish leaped from the water and into Brian’s hands. The water in Emeradotouhou seemed to feature a green tint that made it appear less beautiful, clear, and pure than the water in Safaiananpou. The fish that did leap from the water were greatly appreciated, even if they sparkled with the same green hues. However, the majority of them stayed beneath the surface looking up at Brian in contempt. I was hoping to bring many fish to the priestess and Nick, but it’s proving troublesome. Somehow, even the fish here are disgusted by the demons from Safaiananpou. Brian leaned over his current catch. Their fins and scales glistened in the sunlight in bright colors of silver. Brian smiled, perhaps fish were not so prejudiced, but everything in this country seemed like it should be poison. In that shrine room, a dedication to the sanctity of all things emerald, of course they had insurmountable strength. But even out here, was a single blade of grass or a single tree stronger than a sapphire demon simply for the sake of being green? Were the emerald demons more powerful here even outside that shrine room? Where did their untouchable power stop? Still… Something’s amiss.

The great warrior that Nick had battled… He overpowered Nick in every way possible, he even thrust his fist through his abdomen, but… In the end, he fell harder and faster than Nick and he was the one who was wounded the greatest. Why? And how? Nick doesn’t seem that strong. Where were his demonic powers? He eventually broke through the wall, but only after I made it through. His only fighting techniques seemed to be punching and kicking things until they broke. Was Nick really weak? Or was there something more important than strength? Somehow, Nick completed that fight and survived until this moment... Brian shot his hand like a bullet and grabbed another fish as it danced across the surface of the river. Brian put the fish into his hat with the others. What kind of demon was Nick? Supposedly he was a cardinal demon, but fist fighting isn’t a demonic power. He was also a silly creature. He wore tattered clothing, but no shoes. The simplest grievances made him punch walls, furrow his brow, and lash out uncontrollably. He would shout furiously, but also often appeared timid… Was it possible to be strong and weak, brave and timid, whole and broken all at once? And what exactly were they to each other? Could a priestess really exist who held her demons so closely? Could a priestess really exist who inspired her demons to be her champions without reservations?

“General!” a male voice exclaimed.

Brian gasped and turned his head quickly. At the top of the hill stood the green drenched general of Emeradotouhou. Brian ducked his head. The river was concealed by the hill, and as long as the general did not step forward, Brian could hide in the comfort of the emerald grass and river. He chuckled to himself, since when did the color of emerald provide a camouflaging tool for the safety of a sapphire demon?

“General!” another male voice exclaimed.

The general growled, “Those wounds… I covered him in them…” He grabbed his side and winced in pain, “How could he weaken and immobilize me? And then escape?”

“General!” the first male voice, a soldier, exclaimed as he grabbed the general’s arm.

The general shoved him away with the strength he could muster, then winced in pain. “He couldn’t have gone far… Not with the newest orifice I gave him...” His eyes narrowed as he growled, “I’ll kill him!”

“Justin!” a female voice rang out.

The general turned to face the woman who appeared before him, the blonde woman dressed similarly to the sapphire priestess. Brian’s eyes narrowed, this was the emerald priestess. What kind of priestess was she? The way Nick addressed her, like an old companion… That couldn’t be right...

“I see you have recovered, priestess,” the general smiled slightly.

“Of course I have, I’m not hurt at all!” Renee shook her head, “But you are injured terribly. We must return to the palace!” She grabbed his shoulder.

The general shook her off lightly. “It’s fine. The wretched sapphire demons couldn’t have gone far, they were too injured to stand. You want revenge against her, don’t you? The woman who betrayed you for a gaggle of worthless demons?”

“Of course,” Renee spat, “But what’s more important is…”

“Then as you wish, Lady Renee, I will see them destroyed!”

Renee gasped, “Justin! Wait! Your wounds…”

Justin clenched his fist, “That demon…” He snorted, “Can I even call him that? His weakness knows no bounds…” Justin tightened his fist, “He will pay for the crime he committed against me!”

Renee grabbed his shoulder, “Don’t! Justin! Please!”

Justin shoved her off more forcefully, “Don’t interfere Lady Renee.” He stepped forward, and paused, “Very close by, I sense a powerful spirit. Intertwined… They cannot be far… They made a poor choice in healing themselves here.”

Brian gasped and grabbed the fish hurriedly. He ducked and ran as though he were running from death, the gruesome creature that followed him. If he stopped, or even turned back, it would snatch him within its fingers and everything would end. Brian managed to bring most of his fish with him, but a few had dropped along the way, hopefully they were not a trail for the general. He reached the grove of trees, the haven from death. He entered the grove and set his fish-filled hat on the ground gently. His pale horns glistened in the sun as he then proceeded to untie the ribbon from his waist. He lay it outstretched over the fish to protect them until they were ready to eat. The emerald general implied it too, that everything was poison…

“Nick…” Brian started. He quickly turned to where he had left Nick lying against the trunk of a tree. Gone… Gone! Nick had vanished, had death stolen him? Had the general already appeared here? Brian then noticed the puddles of blood splattered across the ground like the tracks of an animal. As he scanned the clearing, Brian’s eyes fell on the embracing figures of Nick and the priestess. Instead of the labored and numb struggle he had left them in, the grove now radiated calm. Nestled in each other’s arms, the priestess enclosed within the demon’s broad wings, the eyes of both had closed, but their breathing had reached a steady pace. Both the priestess and the demon were beginning to heal, some of Nick’s small gashes even seemed smaller. A warm glow surrounded them as though they were transferring their life force to each other, trying to replenish their hearts. Then, the spirit the general had sensed… Brian gasped again. If the general had already sensed them, he must be headed toward us at such a rapid speed.

Brian clenched his fist. No… No, I can’t let that happen to my priestess or my new companion. Brian lifted his hands together and rested them against his nose once more. His lips began to chant a dancing, silent sutra. The general will not enter, not when my companions are trying to heal their beaten bodies! Brian opened his eyes quickly and they glowed with an intense sapphire color as an aura of similar coloring burst around him. I will create my own ward, the general will never enter! If I believe in my companions, if I try to protect their strength, if I never give up my determination, then my will can create an unbreakable barrier. The barrier of the emerald demons was only as strong as emerald. It lasted as long as nothing penetrated it, then it would shatter. My barriers are only as strong as a sapphire, similar to the strength of an emerald. But if my willpower controls my barrier, then I can create a diamond barrier, something unbreakable. Even the strongest demon could never enter! The sapphire aura swirled around him like he was the sun at the center of the galaxy. The flames flew out from his body and formed glistening bars, a cage around the sapphire demons. As he called his powers, the cage solidified with a perfect aura that nothing would enter, hardening it like a shield. The general will never find us and my companions can heal their beaten bodies. Time is all they need, and in order to give it to them, I will sacrifice myself and weaken my own heart if that could make even the smallest difference. I will not let the general hurt them, even if it means that I will be hurt by the general. What is more important than strength? Nick showed me that there must be something.... Yes… In this moment, my heart is focused on my will to protect them. If only I concentrate on that, surely I can be stronger than any emerald demon, even in their own country. A light is forming in my heart and growing stronger as I concentrate on my barrier, the light of hope. I’m sure we will all survive this bloody battle in Emeradotouhou.