- Text Size +
*Hey guys! Thanks for the great feedback :) *



21

I was glad I wore my hooded sweatshirt to the restaurant since I refused to go back to the table to get my jacket. The fall weather had taken a turn towards winter and a small but chilling breeze was blowing as I walked out of the Tavern on the Green and headed down the street, away from everybody.

What I really wanted to do was find my brother’s place. He had mentioned the street name a few times on the phone but just like I do with everybody else, when it came to important details like that, my brain shut off. I was sure the guys were still thinking I was in the bathroom at this point and I wanted to be gone before they realized differently.

I couldn’t believe they had been so mean to my brother, I mean Kevin…okay well that wasn’t as surprising, but Brian? Why on earth would Brian be bad mouthing my brother in the bathroom instead of sticking up for him? So he smoked a joint, big deal. It wasn’t like he denied it or anything. None of us are perfect. Hell I had even smoked a joint of two in my day.

I placed my hand in my sweater's pockets as I continued to walk down the street with my head down. Partly to shield myself from the wind but mostly to shield myself from anyone that might recognize me.

Turner Street? Or maybe it was Tenth Street? I really wish I had paid better attention to him.

I stopped for a second just to look both ways before I crossed the street. There were SO many people around I was quickly becoming lost in the crowd. I could have probably just stopped one of them to ask them where I was going but decided against it; I had a better idea.

Once I got to the other side of the street, I held out my hand to haul a taxi cab. I knew where I needed to go; to the record store. I’m sure one of those people would know how to get to Mike’s house.


~*~*~*~*~*
Mike walked into his apartment in a huff. He was pissed as hell at just about everyone in the world, especially his father. As a matter of fact, he was certain that he was going to throw the old man’s ass right out in the street when he got home. He was hoping his dad wouldn’t be there but unfortunately there he was sitting on the couch with his feet on the coffee table, drinking a beer and eating some take out.

“You’re home early” John Alexander said as his son walked in and threw his keys across the room. “Didn’t go well I take it?”

“Why the hell did you take my money?” John looked up as his son swiped his feet right off the table and onto the floor.

“What money? What are you talking about?”

“Don’t lie to me”

“Son...”

“Why the hell did you steal from me?”

“I didn’t steal from you…I wanted to double your money”

“I didn’t ask you to double my money dad”

“Relax, it just so happens that your old man DID double your money” He said taking out a wad of bills and throwing them at Mike. “Seems like you owe me an apology” Mike stood open mouthed and ready to scream. He had enough. “I owe you an apology? You ruined EVERYTHING tonight!” Mike walked away and slammed the bathroom door shut behind him. He knew if he didn’t walk away from his dad now, he was going to punch him.

John sat on the couch unsure of what he needed to do. He had only seen his son this angry three times in his whole life. He decided to play caring father. He did love his son and didn’t like to see him this way, but at the same time, there was a football game on television. Maybe it wouldn’t take that long.

He stood up and made his way over to the bathroom door, “Son…what’s wrong?” He asked as sweetly as possible.

“Everything…nothing…just go away”

“Tell me” there was a hesitation and then the door swung open. “Okay dad, I’ll tell you…let’s see, ever since my brother has come back into my life I have been judged”

“Judged? Is Nicky judging you?”

Mike walked past his father and headed for the kitchen to grab a beer of his own. “No Nicky is about the ONLY one who hasn’t judged me. It’s his stupid friends”

“His friends? But who the hell cares what his friends think?” Mike laughed, “You don’t understand”

“Then explain it to me”

John wanted to laugh as he saw his son trying his best to get out of telling him the truth. That his youngest son was famous. He really wanted to place a bet with someone on how long it would take Mike to actually tell his Father the truth.

“It’s...I was supposed to pay for ALL these people tonight but I couldn’t because YOU stole my money”

“I told you I didn’t steal your money”

“Whatever”

“So what then? Nick threw you out of the restaurant or something?”

“God…no dad, but his friends...”

“Come on, Nicky is only a kid, his friends are too; just tell them to shut the hell up”

“No dad, it’s not that simple”

“And why not?”

“Look, I am done talking for the night…I’m going out” Mike walked over to where he had thrown his keys and bent down and picked them up.

“If Nicky calls, just tell him I’ll call him later and that I’m not mad at him. Okay?”

“So, you are giving me permission to answer your phone then?” John asked sarcastically.

“Yeah, if he calls tell him I’m sorry for leaving like that and I’ll call him later”

“You just left?”

“Dad... Enough... I’ll see you later” With that being said Mike walked out of his apartment, slamming his door shut.


~*~*~*~*~*~
I paid about thirty dollars for the cab ride to Virgin. I’m pretty sure I was ripped off but I handed over the money anyway. When out of the car I pulled my hood over my head and headed for the entrance. He worked in the pop/rock section. That much I remembered.

I took the escalator up to the pop/rock section hoping no one would recognize me. Unfortunately I was not in luck. It was late so there really weren’t all that many people in the store but even still I was being stared at. At this point I wasn’t sure if it was because I was wearing my hood that I was attracting attention or if it was because I was famous. So I pulled my hood down as I entered the section.

About three people were staring at me while I walked towards the cash registers. Whispers of “Isn’t that somebody famous?” Making there way past me as I continued. That girl who had followed my brother the day we first met was standing there at the counter talking to two other people. One of which totally knew who I was; she started fanning herself and mouthing “Oh my God!”

“Excuse me” They all looked at me, the one fanning herself smiling and bouncing now.

“Yes?” The male said. He didn’t seem impressed. The guys never seem impressed.

“I was wondering if you could tell me where Mike Alexander lives.”

“Sorry sir, but we don’t give out that kind of information”

“Oh please, give him a break. Hi Nick. We met earlier my names Melinda. Remember me?” I smiled and shook her hand, “Of course I remember. Nice to see you again” I glanced over to the bouncing girl to see her near hysterics.

“Oh this is Ariana. She’s an insane Backstreet Boys fan” Melinda said rolling her eyes.

I walked over to the girl and gave her a hug; my standard fan greeting. Hoping she wouldn’t get overly excited and start mauling me or something. I had already been hurt once today, I didn’t feel like a repeat.

“Oh my Gosh Nick…I am so...Oh gosh…I have a fish and he…well” I started to laugh at her as she kept falling over her words.

“Relax” I said and used Kevin’s ever popular calm down sign. “Now what about your fish?”

“Um…I have a fish named Nick”

“How sweet darling” I kissed her on her cheek and she started to cry. I never got why they cried.

“I thought your brother was with you tonight Nick” Melinda said as she watched disgusted. I could tell this whole pop star thing didn’t suit her well.

“He kind of left and I need to find him”

“I know where he lives; I’m off work just hanging around with these losers. I can take you there if you want” Melinda said as she pulled her jacket from around her waist and placed it on.

“That would be great. Thanks” I smiled as a chill went down my back.

“Awe, you’re cold. You don’t have a jacket with you?” Ariana asked so sympathetically I had to laugh.

“It’s okay”

“Eric you should give him yours”

“Then what am I supposed to use?” the guy at the register said, now totally annoyed. I laughed again, “It’s really okay. I’ll live. I’ve been colder than this before, No biggie”

“Alright, let’s get moving” I waved to Ariana once more as she blushed. “Very nice meeting you doll”

“Thanks, same to you” She said in a half cry.

“Don’t mind her, she’s insane” Melinda whispered under her breath. I think I liked this girl.

I put my hood up again and this time sneezed as we made our way out of the store. “Hey, you really are cold huh? What’s the matter? Don’t they teach you how to dress yourself in pop prince school?” Yes I really really liked this girl.

“Uh…sarcastic much?” I asked her. She smiled. I think she really liked me to.

“Hope you don’t mind, but it’s kind of a long walk from here. I would have us take the subway but I’m a little afraid you might get recognized and mobbed, speaking of which, shouldn’t you have like a ton of security guards around you?”

“Like I said, I was kind of in a rush”

“Okay…well, I won’t pry, but I’m telling you this isn’t safe being out here alone”

“You can be my protection” She laughed at me.

“So…are you and my brother dating?”

“HELL NO!” By the way she said it; I could tell she wished she was dating him. Maybe if he ever talked to me again I could work on that. Nick Carter, matchmaker.

“Okay” Was all I answered.

We didn’t talk too much because it was so cold and windy by this point; to talk hurt. She had her face buried into her scarf and I had mine buried in my sleeve. I was such an idiot for not getting my jacket but let’s face it, if I went back for it, I would have stayed there, sulking and miserable. I needed to find Mike. I needed to tell him, I didn’t care if he smoked a stupid joint, I didn’t care what stupid Kevin or Brian thought or anybody else for that matter. I needed him in my life. Nothing else much mattered.

“Some of the streets we passed were a little scary. Hookers on the corner and guys hanging, talking AT each other instead of TO each other. I wonder what that is like. To just hang on a corner and watch the girls.

“Here we are” She said stopping in front of a building that just about looked like it was ready to collapse.

“Wow, so this is it huh?”

“Yup, this is how the other half lives Nick…he’s in apartment 7, Third floor”

“Thanks, are you coming up?”

“No. I have a feeling you guys need some one on one time” I nodded.

“I’m kind of worried about you walking home alone”

“Oh please, people fear me not the other way around”

“But even still...” Melinda walked over and gave me a hug.

“I like you Nick, you seem like a great kid, now go up and tell your brother he owes me another slice of pizza”

“Will do” I watched her as she walked down the block and around the corner. Then I proceeded up the rickety stairs. The wood was literally rotting and I was kind of scared that I might fall right through the steps. How the other half lives. I said to myself as I maneuvered down the small hallway to apartment number 7.

I knocked on the door, and was a little surprised when it opened immediately; like he was waiting for me.

“Nick…Oh my God…Is that you son?” My Father asked me. Before I could answer he grabbed me in a hug and cried on my shoulder.

“I missed you son. Welcome home”