- Text Size +
22

It felt odd. I mean not in a bad way…but in an eerie way. He had the smell I remember him having when I was a kid; a mix of Irish Spring soap and Old Spice cologne. It was a sickly sweet smell and when I inhaled it again, it brought me back to my past. I felt like I was that four or five year old kid all over again. I couldn’t really remember very much of my dad besides his smell and the fact that I was afraid of him. I can’t even recall why. Maybe it’s his size. Maybe it was his temper, but he used to scare the crap out of me. I didn’t feel that when he hugged me though. All I felt was odd.
He pulled away from me and held both of my arms with his hands. “Let me get a look at you…God, you look just like your mother” He then pulled me close to him again. I felt stupid because I didn’t return the hug right away. We kind of looked like Pepe Lepew and that cat. He was hugging me and there I stood with my arms down at my side. What a jerk I must have looked like, but he had thrown me off guard. When he hugged me the second time, at least I hugged back.

He pulled me away from him this time and finally got out of my personal space long enough to invite me in. “Come on in kiddo…we have a lot to catch up on” He closed the door behind me, “So, is Mike here?”

“Nope, he left for a little while. I guess he felt like your little dinner didn’t go very smoothly” I nodded. Poor Mike, I wouldn’t blame him if he never talked to me again.

“He said your friends didn’t like him too much” Now my dad sat down on the couch and placed his feet on the table.

“That’s why I came. I wanted to tell him that I don’t care what my friends think of him”

“He should be home soon son. I can’t get over how much you have grown”

“I’m…eighteen”

“I know”

“So, tell me all about your life” He shut the television off and pat the couch signaling me to come and sit next to him. I felt out of place. Was it wrong of me to wish that my father was there too? I mean Bob. I had a feeling that if my Mother knew I was sitting here talking to my real father that she would have a fit and a half.

“Um…well…”

“Are you doing well in school?” He interrupted me, before I even was able to get a word out.

“Actually, I’m finished with school. I graduated this past May”

“Excellent”

“Yeah”

“You going to college? I always wanted my sons to go to college”

“No sir” I began to realize that maybe my father had no idea how famous I was.

“Nickolas…you need to go to college, I mean doesn’t your Mother want you to go?”

“No sir...you see, I am in a band”

“A band?”

“Yes”

“What do you play?”

“I sing”

“Oh…well still can’t you do both?”

“We are kind of famous” I watched as my dad smiled at me, “Really? How famous are you?”

“I’m in the Backstreet Boys” He seemed really surprised.

“Are you serious? Son I am so incredibly proud of you” My dad just told me he was proud of me. Isn’t that every boy’s dream?

“Thanks”

“Wow…that’s incredible. I hope you are being careful with your money”

“Oh yeah dad. I’m really careful with it. As a matter of fact, I never really see it”

“Is that right?”

“Yes, Mom and dad…” I stopped. He gave me a look. How can I be that dumb? Good one Nick!

“I mean…Bob, he is my step dad…I mean...Mom got…”

“It’s alright son. I am happy for your Mom” He placed his hand on my knee and smiled at me.

“She takes care of my money”

“That’s great. Just be careful, you should invest some of that money. If you want I can do that for you, so this way you will have a nice nest egg when you aren’t so hot and sexy” He grabbed my chin and tousled my hair. I laughed.

“I would like that”

“Yes, I mean that’s what I do for a living. I’m an investor. So, just say the word and I’ll get you hooked up. I won’t even charge because you’re my son and all” He laughed and winked at me.

“Are you okay?” He asked me suddenly sounding a little worried.

“Yeah Why?”

“You’re shivering...”

I didn’t even realize I was shaking. But I guess I still had the cold November air pumping through my veins.

“Yeah, I’m a little cold. I forgot my jacket” He jumped up and walked over to the closet where he pulled out a blanket for me and draped it around my shoulders. “Silly boy shouldn’t be going out without your jacket, let me make you some hot tea okay son?” I hated tea but because I was being coddled I nodded. When was the last time my own Mother ever said that to me?

He ran into the kitchen and hummed while he made me my tea. I laid down on the couch and suddenly grew SO tired. I could barely keep my eyes open. Maybe it was the warmth of the quilt or the humming from the kitchen or maybe it was the warmth of being cared for, whatever the case, I fell asleep right there in the middle of my reunion.


~*~*~*~*~*~*
John hummed away as he made his son tea. Nick did look great and it was nice seeing him again. He had to bite his tongue a few times, especially when Jane was brought up in the conversation, but he had to pretend he liked her; for now anyway.

When he walked over to the couch to see his youngest son fast asleep he was temporarily overcome with love for the boy. He even stood there watching him for a few minutes, pulling up the blanket all the way to the top of Nick’s neck and placing a pillow under his head.

He seemed like a good boy. But then he saw the wallet, it was calling to him. Saying ‘steal me and go on a shopping spree’. He lifted the wallet off of the floor and opened it careful not to wake his son up. The kid had just about every kind of credit card known to man; MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Diner’s Club, everything. “I bet none of these even have a spending limit do they son?” He took Nick’s Discover card, the one that was shoved all the way in the back and therefore, in the mind of a con artist, the one that was used the least and he placed it in his own pocket. If he notices, I’ll just say it fell on the floor and plant it under the couch. He said to himself as he leaned back and placed a loving hand on his son’s back and flipped the television back on.


~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*
Mike got home about an hour later and was not happy when he saw his little brother sound asleep on the couch with his father’s arm wrapped around him; also sound asleep. “Great…now I’m probably going to be accused of kidnapping” He said in a whisper but still loud enough for his father to jerk awake. When he saw Mike he smiled, “Isn’t he cute?”

“Why is he here dad?”

“He came looking for you”

“When?”

“Shortly after you left”

“How did he get here?”

“He didn’t say”

“What did you tell him? Did he tell you?”

“That he was famous? Yes he did. Why you couldn’t tell me is beyond me though”

“I was afraid you’d try to rob him blind”

“I’m offended Michael”

Mike was surprised when his dad sounded hurt. “Look, I’m sorry dad but…I just didn’t want you to…”

“Let me tell you something son. I love the both of you. If your Mother hadn’t thrown me out of the house, I would have still been a part of this kid’s life. I don’t care about his money. All I care about is seeing him happy. Just like you. I want you boys to be happy” Mike sat down on the coffee table looking down at his brother who was really dead to the world. “Think anyone knows he’s here?” Mike asked his father wanting to drop the conversation for the time being.

“If I had to take an educated guess, I would say no. The kid showed up here with no jacket even”

“Great…well then maybe I should call them and let them know so they don’t all go crazy looking for him”

“Good idea. The last thing we need here is the FBI” John said letting out a laugh that caused Nick to stir in his sleep.

“Why don’t they like you son?”

“I guess I’m not good enough for him” And that was the answer, he had just never actually verbalized it before but that’s how he felt. He wasn’t good enough for this kid.

“You are good enough for him. Maybe THEY aren’t good enough for him” Mike laughed at that. “Yeah dad…maybe”

“I don’t want to call them” He confessed to his father. They made him feel small, for some reason.

“Then don’t. It’s really none of their business where he went anyway” That was true. When He was 18, he would take off sometimes for days at a time and no one ever came looking for him. Nick was an adult, he came here on his own and he will leave on his own.

So just as quickly as he walked towards the phone, he found himself walking away from it. “They’ll call him if they want him” John said as an extra reassurance.

“I gave him his phone back so yeah, you’re right. If they call we’ll answer it. If not, well then to hell with them all”

“We don’t need anybody anyways, just as long as the three Alexanders’ stick together” His Father said proudly.

“He’s not an Alexander” Mike was quick to correct his father, unaware that his father already knew that.

“He’s not?”

“No. He’s a Carter now”

“She remarried?” He asked sounding very hurt.

“Yeah, I’m sorry dad”

“Well, he’s still an Alexander at heart. He’s my son” They both stared down at Nick, “Yeah I guess he is” Mike said.

“So, I guess he’s spending the night then?”

“Yeah, I guess so. You can sleep in the bed with me if you want dad”

“Thanks, I can always stay on the floor, you know that I am used to uncomfortable sleeping conditions” Mike laughed, “Which brings me to this. Mike please don’t tell Nick about me okay? I want to start fresh and I really don’t want him to know about me being in prison” Mike looked at his Father suspiciously, “If you are trying to have a fresh start then why did you steal all my money?”

“I doubled it. I didn’t steal it. I was trying to help you out. Truly” Mike sighed, “Okay. I believe you; sorry I accused you of robbing me”

“That’s okay son. I understand why. I’ve changed; now please let’s not tell Nick about the prison thing…okay?”

“Okay”

John was relieved when he heard Mike say okay. Everything was working out very nicely.