- Text Size +
“OH THAT’S F-ING COMFORTING!!!!!” AJ threw his hands in the air in exasperation. “YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU DRUG US ALL THE WAY HERE, HOPING TO FIND GHOSTS, WHICH YOU’RE SCARED OF, AND ONCE YOU FOUND THEM, YOU HAD NO IDEA WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO DO?!?!?!?!”

Nick cowered behind Deanna and shone the gleam from the flashlight on to AJ’s face. The whites of his eyes were barely visible against his enraged expression. He crossed his arms and tapped his finger impatiently on one of his biceps. “Well…”

Nick turned the flashlight back to himself, “Yup… That’s pretty much it…”

AJ clenched his fist, “I’m gonna sock you good!”

Nick put up a hand, “But the good news is, I found the ghosts.” There was only silence. “Right…?”

“Wrong! Wrong!” Brian chimed in, “First we have a bunch of creepy old ghosts trying to mess with our heads, and sure, they tried to kill you, but it could have been worse…”

“HEY!” Nick interrupted.

“BUT!” Brian emphasized, “But let me finish… But now
Paris is dead and she wants you to go with her. Doesn’t this seem bad to you?”

“Sure it does…” Nick paused, “I wanna be with Deanna.”

“CAN’T YOU EVER THINK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE YOU HORNY PERVERT!?!?!?!” AJ thrust his fist into Nick’s cheek. A reddened ridge rose from the edge of Nick’s cheek as his lips let loose a few red tears.

Nick turned his head and spit on the floor, the blood flowed from the corner of lips and down his chin. “Why do you always make me out to be the pervert? I was going to tell her everything.”

“Was?” AJ growled, “So you won’t now?”

“HOW DO YOU TELL A DEAD PERSON THAT YOU’RE BREAKING UP WITH THEM?!?!”

“Hey…” Howie started.

“I DON’T KNOW! YOU THINK OF SOMETHING!!!!!”

“YOU CAN’T TALK TO DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!”

“Hey…” Howie tried again.

“SURE YOU CAN! IT’S EASY! JUST SCREAM, ‘PARIS, WE’RE OVER’!!!!”

“WHY DON’T YOU DO IT FOR ME!?!?!?! YOU SEEM TO UNDERSTAND IT BETTER THAN I DO!!!!!!!”

“WILL YOU BOTH STOP YELLING!??!!? YOU’RE WAKING UP THE WHOLE HOTEL!!!!!!!!” Howie screamed in frustration. He put his hand over his mouth, “Oh…”

The room regained its solitude. The darkness encompassed them once more. In his heated frenzy, Nick had dropped the flashlight to the ground. He bent over and clutched it in his hand. His fingers shook uncontrollably. He grasped his shaking hand with the other, though the flashlight still rattled in his fingers.

Howie put his hand to his forehead, “I’m sorry… Listen, all this yelling is giving me a headache. Why don’t we call it a night?”

Nick raised his hand, “Dibs on the bed!”

AJ smirked, “Fine… But you can’t sleep with Deanna…”

Nick blinked, then pointed his hand to the ground, “Dibs on the floor!”

Leighanne shook her head, “Don’t be immature. Give Brian and I one bed, and then Ashley and Deanna can take the other one.”

Deanna whined a little, “But I wanna stay with Nick…”

“Me too, me too,” Ashley whined, “With Kevin… I mean…”

The girls started playing and endless game of ‘rock, paper, scissors’ and failing miserably because they always picked the same hand position.

AJ growled, “Will you both take the damn bed?”

Howie put an arm around AJ and winked, Why don’t we share the bed, hm?”

AJ rolled his eyes and chuckled a little, “I give up. Fine, why don’t both you tiny sluts take the floor.”

Deanna clasped her hands, “I know! Let’s share the bed with both of them!”

Ashley smiled, “Then we both get the bed!”

Ashley and Deanna clasped hands.

Nick shook his head and wrapped and arm around Deanna, “You know, there’s just not room for four people in that bed.”

Kevin nodded in agreement.

Nick brushed Deanna’s hair from her ear, his breath passed across it lightly. “Besides…” he whispered, “AJ can’t keep an eye on us from up there…”

Deanna blinked, “Oh…” She turned to AJ, “AJ… Why don’t you and Howie take the bed… I know it isn’t the most comfortable for either of you, but… You need the rest, and Howie’s been so kind to us…”

Howie smiled and sat on the bed, “Don’t mind it I do.”

AJ sighed, “Fine… But since you four are on the floor, you’ll take turns keeping a lookout at the door.”

Deanna and Ashley pouted, then turned to each other. They pointed at each other simultaneously. “YOU FIRST!!!!”

Nick chuckled, wrapping his arms around Deanna again. “Let’s do it first, okay?” He smiled, “You know she needs the rest after all the trouble you put her through…”

Deanna let out a forced sigh and nodded.

~~~~


The darkness engulfed the room. Every item was shadowed. The beds loomed over the floor like massive castles. Brian and Leighanne slept soundly in the furthest bed from the door. Howie and AJ also slept deeply, despite the earlier events. Ashley and Kevin lay huddled together on the far side of the room, between the two beds. Nick and Deanna sat upright; Nick’s back barely relaxed against the closet, even his recline position was stiff. Deanna leaned her head against his chest and wrapped her fingers lightly around a few folds in his shirt. Nick smiled and ran his hand through her hair. She looked up at him; the darkness clouded her brown eyes.

Nick’s expression saddened as he looked down at her, “Don’t give me that look…” He leaned toward her, embracing her gently, and met her lips softly. “We’re together, aren’t we…? Isn’t that the only thing that’s important…?”

Deanna wrapped her hands around his shoulders. “Nick…” She buried her face in his chest.

Nick pressed his hand against her back gently. “You’re scared, aren’t you?”

Deanna nodded and gripped his shoulders tightly.
Nick smiled warmly. “You don’t have to be scared… I’m right here with you.” He pulled her chin up with his fingers. Even with a tear-stained face, she was so cute. No… She was beautiful. He wiped the tears from her face with his thumb, then brushed it over her lips lightly. A small sigh emanated from them. He smiled once more, and caressed them with his own. He felt Deanna’s breath soften against his own lips. He opened his eyes and pulled his lips back from hers. She let out a brief smile, then lowered her head to his chest once more. She wrapped her arms around his chest and closed her eyes peacefully. Nick breathed a sigh of relief and fondled her hair lightly with his fingers.

A loud rattle came from the window; outside, the storm thickened. The door creaked on its hinges; the handle almost seemed to turn. Nick looked up, and was startled to find a white figure seeping through the cracks of the door.

“Nick…”

Nick blinked as his eyes shook violently. “Paris…” Nick loosened Deanna’s grip from him and stood up quietly. “So… You really did come back.” The air in the room chilled and seemed to brush his hair across his face.

Paris put her hand to her chest and lowered her eyes, “Dead and bloody… You must find me disgusting…”

Nick blinked, “Of course not…”

Paris put her hand out and touched Nick’s face lightly, “You kissed her with those lips… Did you forget that they belong to me…?” Paris put a hand on Nick’s shoulder, “Aren’t you scared…? I could kill you right now…”

“Paris…” Nick started.

Paris pulled Nick into her embrace and kissed him forcefully. She tightened her grip on him and pulled him toward her. A pale wind surrounded them. “Don’t you want to die with me…?” Paris smirked.

Nick’s eyes were empty.

Deanna stirred and lifted herself from the floor. The cold, pale wind seemed to choke her. Her body convulsed violently as she struggled for air. She gripped the floor and breathed heavily. “Paris…” her speech was broken, “Stop it… Stop it!”

Paris sneered and tightened her embrace.

Deanna clenched her eyes tightly, “STOP IT!!!” Her shriek pierced through the otherwise silent and ominous pale fog.

Nick’s clouded eyes began to regain their vision. “Deanna…” He searched through the darkened room. “Deanna…” Nick startled into consciousness. He grabbed Paris’ shoulders and threw her against the wall. He knelt down quickly and pulled Deanna into his embrace. Deanna shut her eyes tightly as she clutched his arms in her hands.

Paris stumbled backward a little; her eyes almost seemed distraught. “Do you… love her more?” Paris turned her head quickly, “Even when you have me?”

Nick clenched his fist, “Paris! I meant to tell you…”

Paris put her hands to her chest, “Your lips still belong to me…”

“No, I decided that we…”

“Don’t forget that…”

“Paris!”

“Don’t forget that…”

Paris was consumed by the pale wind she had brought into the room. And then, there was only darkness. Nick clenched his fist and slammed it against the floor. “Damnit…” His eyes narrowed as he let out a low growl.

The room receded into nothingness. Nick and Deanna were left to keep watch once again. At The Mayan Princess, the dead cannot find rest. To atone for their suffering, the living do not find rest either.