- Text Size +
The silence in the dark was almost deafening. The blood continued to flow down the mirror and into the sink. The drain was burgundy; darkness mixed with blood, the color of ominous death. Ashley gripped on to AJ, though Kevin was also in the close vicinity. AJ blinked in shock. Could Nick be right? The mirror, at least, was dripping blood. AJ clenched his eyes shut and shook his head, trying to toss the notion from his head. It was only an internet rumor. And how true can those stories be? A knock sounded. In the heaviness of their pounding hearts, all present jumped and let out small gasps. Their hearts started to race as Howie opened the door slowly. Before him stood the tanned old man with the face of leather. His white hair stuck out unexpectedly from a few scattered places. Howie breathed in a sigh of relief.

"So sorry to frighten you," Denny bowed.

Howie's breathing calmed, "It's fine."

"I came to inform all of you that your friends are awake."

Ashley appeared next to Howie in an excited jump. Her face lit up, "Dee's okay!" She hugged the nearest person to her, Howie. Howie stepped backwards from the shock.

Everyone filed out of the room as Ashley let go of Howie. As Ashley closed the door to the room, she shook off the notion of the hotel being haunted. It was only her imagination playing tricks on her and nothing more. At that moment, Denny grabbed her arm hurriedly. Ashley gasped.

"I told you not to disturb the dead…" he whispered. Ashley tried to pull her arm away quickly, but the elder gentleman refused to release her from his grip. "Why did you deny it?"

Ashley's voice shook as she tried to regain control of her arm, "Don't touch me…"

Kevin pulled her away again, "C'mon Ashley, let's go see Nick and Deanna." He turned to Denny, "Thank you for letting us know, but don't scare everyone any more. There's been enough commotion today." Kevin's piercing green eyes were stern, matching the firmness in his voice. He pulled Ashley down the hallway and to the shadowed staircase, following the others. They left Denny standing in front of Ashley and Deanna's room shivering in his three piece navy suit.

~~~~


The seven of them entered a pale white room. Everywhere, medical equipment adorned the tables and walls. Two cots lay with their heads resting against the east wall. On those cots lay two people, one blonde and male, the other brunette and female. The blonde male was the first to see them coming and sat up with a big smile plastered on his face.

"Welcome to the party!" Nick grinned, laughing.

Paris slapped Nick. Nick sniffled a little and grabbed his throbbing cheek. Her hit was like ice and left a red mark across Nick's cheek. "What was that for?" Nick whined.

"You scared me half to death!" Paris shrieked.

"Only half?" Nick smirked, "I was hoping for at least three quarters…"

"You joke thief…" Deanna whined as she sat up.

"Flattery is the sincerest form of compliment," Nick stuck his tongue out.

They both started laughing when Ashley darted from the door and wrapped her arms around Deanna. "OHMYGODDEE!!!!!!!!!!!!" she wailed "I was so scared!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know what I would do without you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Deanna wrapped her arms around her twin. Their embrace was whole, complete, and sincere. Twins should always be together, they should never be apart, and neither one should ever be in pain. "It's okay," Deanna smiled, "I was scared too. I thought that maybe, if we were in trouble… You were too…"

AJ leaned over, "Speaking of getting into trouble, what exactly were you doing outside of your room at this ungodly hour, hm?"

"Ummmm… I'm scared of the dark…" Deanna mumbled.

"Repeat that," AJ told her.

"Ashie fell asleep when I was awake and the room was too big, so I got scared of the dark, okay?" Deanna replied with an annoyed tone.

"And how did you end up with her?" Paris put her hands on her hips and turned to Nick. Her eyes narrowed at she glared at him.

Nick put his hands up in defense, "You know I'm scared of the dark!" He rolled his eyes, "Anyway, I went outside for some air and found her sitting by the pool."

"Why were you outside alone!?" AJ scolded.

"The moon was outside, it wasn't dark there…"

"Who attacked you, some pervert?!"

"No…"

"Was it you?!" AJ turned to Nick suddenly.

"No!" Nick interjected.

"I told you to stay away from this pervert!" AJ yelled, pointing at Nick.

"Hey…" Nick growled. He latched his wounded hand on to AJ's shoulder. His face was filled with rage and covered in an ugly grimace. "I didn't do anything…" Nick paused and turned his head away.

Deanna blushed a little. So he forgot for a moment… That they should always be together as well…

Brian chuckled a little, "I like the 'war paint,' Nick."

"What war paint?"

Brian brushed his finger across the width of Nick's face over his eyes.

Nick pondered for a moment. "I must have wiped my hand on it." He started laughing, "I couldn't see, I think I got a little lightheaded."

Howie blinked, "Since when did lightheadedness become a joke?"

Kevin let out a breath, "And how did your hand start bleeding anyway?"

Nick scanned the room. It was the same as before… Medical instruments, white walls, emptiness… "A spirit appeared from the pool."

"What?" Paris started laughing, "That's crazy Nick!"

Nick's eyes lowered, "You all still think I'm crazy…"

Ashley bit her lip. She wondered if she should tell him about the mirror… The blood… What would he say? She had been the first to chastise him, but… What would he think when she suddenly defended him? No… No! It was just a silly little trick, someone's gimmick. Only a joke. It was only a joke.

AJ blinked, "Ummm… You know, in…" He paused.

"What?"

AJ shook his head, "No, nevermind. Get back to your hand…"

Nick looked at his hand for a moment, his voice lowered. "There was no time to get away… It was too fast… It wasn't safe… The door was locked… The only way back in…" Nick adverted his eyes from them, "…Was through the glass…"

Brian stepped back and put his hand to his chest. His eyes grew wide as he coughed, "You punched the window paneling!?"

Nick nodded.

"A little wimp like you?!" Brian laughed.

Nick hit him with his injured hand, then winced.

Brian chuckled and gave him a noogie. "Nick, forget about these nutty ghost stories, get some rest, okay? And…" Brian winked, "Stopped smacking people around with that hand, okay?"

Paris turned her head and looked back at Nick only with her concerned eyes. "Are you… coming back up?" She blinked and bit her lip a little.

"No…" Nick shook his head, "I should probably stay here, heal up a little bit, you know?" Brian, Leighanne, and Paris turned to leave the room.
Nick let out a chuckle, "Hey Brian… I'll remember what you said." He winked.

Brian laughed as the three of them headed out the door.

"Are you hurt, Dee?" Ashie blinked.

Deanna shook her head, "No, only my nerves are overworked." She cracked a tiny smile.

Ashley hugged Deanna again as a few tears slid from her eyes.

"Ahem," a male voice coughed.

Ashley jumped in surprise and turned around quickly, Denny stood before them again.

"Sorry to keep appearing so suddenly, but the hospital wing can no longer accept visitors," he told them kindly.

Kevin nodded, "Sounds right. We should probably go."

AJ turned to Ashley, "I'll stay with you tonight, Ash. There's no way I'm letting you sleep alone." Ashley nodded. AJ turned to Nick and Deanna, "There's a report of severe rainstorms and possible flooding. The minute that stops, we're all out of here. Got that, Nick? Your little mystery hunt is ending now."

Nick nodded, "Sounds good. I need to go back home and catch up on some gaming anyway."

Deanna laughed.

"I'll be back, first thing tomorrow," Ashley told her sternly.

Deanna smiled, "I'll be waiting for you."

Denny bowed and followed the three of them out of the room.

Deanna lay back over and covered her eyes with her arm. "Nick… Do you think that was really a ghost?"

Nick shook his head as he lay back down, "I'm not so sure anymore… I thought so, but… Maybe everyone's right, and we're just… seeing things we want to believe are there."

"No," Deanna shook her head firmly, "The stories have to be true. I still believe you."

Nick chuckled a little, closing his eyes, "Well, at least someone still believes me."

"Nick?" Deanna asked.

Nick turned to her and smiled, "What?"

"Will you hold my hand?" Deanna stuttered.

"Sure, why?" Nick wrapped his fingers around her outstretched hand.

"If I know you're still here, then it's not so dark and scary anymore."

Nick chuckled again, resting his eyelashes on his cheeks, "You really are hopeless, aren't you Deanna?"

Deanna giggled, "I'm afraid so."

"Love you," Nick whispered.

Deanna closed her eyes and responded only with a slight squeeze of her hand. The darkness crowded around them, their only visitor. But, they had nothing to be afraid of. As long as they were together, as long as they could still feel each others' pulse… each others' blood… emanating through their hands, then everything was okay. A raspy breathing entered the room, but they were unaware. Their minds had shut out everything except the touch of the others' hand.

The raspy breathing flowed into a raspy voice, "Too many people have learned the secret, thanks to your meddling. Now… you will never leave here alive."