- Text Size +
The next week rolled around and Carmen got her fake ID. Now all she needed to know where this new club was. She dialed up Angel’s number.

“Hello?”.

“Hey Angel it’s Carmen is your brother around?”.

“Yea, I think so why?”.

“He said his friend Howie or something owns the club I want to go tonight and I would like to know how to get there. I have not the slightest clue where this place is,” Carmen explained..

“Oh okay…Howie yea I know who that is…let me check,” Carmen sat there on the phone while Angel went to go and get Nick. There was an over whelm ness of happiness that grew on Carmen’s face. Following her dreams is something that she’s always wanted to do and now that she isn’t caring about what her parents say she’s going to do whatever it takes..

“Hello?”.

“Hey Nick its Carmen”.

“Oh hey what’s up? Angel told me that you needed to know where Howie’s club was or something like that right?”.

“Yep that’s correct”.

“You do know downtown Orlando pretty well I would assume right?”.

“Yes”.

“Okay you turn right onto Smith Street then you take a left at the Shell gas station then you take another left onto Jones Road and you go down two blocks and its on the right side it’s called Tabu”.

“ I think I know where that is. Thank you so much Nick. I really appreciate it.”.

“Ah it was no problem at all. I have known you for a long time. And I know you can sing!”.

“Aw thanks Nick. Well I must get going. So I can make it to the club. I’ll let you know how it goes all right Nick? Tell Angel I said bye and I’ll call her later on…OH! Tell Brent I said thank you a thousand times.”.

“I will…I am going to be there as well. D asked me to help out tonight so I am looking forward to hearing you sing. And I’ll tell Angel you said bye and you’ll call her later…and I will tell Brent you said thank you a thousand times.”.

“Oh okay I’ll see you there then.”.

“All right bye bye” Carmen hung up the phone and finished getting ready to go to the club. She was still a little worried that her whole idea would just back fire and then she would get in trouble. Carmen put out her black gap pants ad her while spaghetti strapped tang top and put her make up on and put her hair into a high ponytail. She grabbed her cay keys and her purse and walked downstairs. “Carmen honey where are you going?” her mom asked..

“Oh…over to Angel’s house to work on hour history report together”.

“That’s funny I just got off the phone with Jane and she didn’t mention anything about you coming over tonight”.

“Well I am going to pick her up and then we are going over to her brother’s house. You know Nick right?”.

“Oh yes of course. All right be home by 11 it’s a school night you know Carmen.”.

“Yes I know mom…see you later” Carmen walked out the door and got into her car. She grabbed the directions out of her purse and started up the car..

********** .

Carmen walked into the club. She couldn’t believe she was actually there getting ready to perform in front of hundreds or just a little less. Carmen walked up to the karaoke sign up and put her name down. Carmen looked around the club and saw Nick. She walked up to Nick and tapped him on the shoulder. Nick turned around and saw Carmen..

“Hey Carmen long time no see”.

“Yea…I know I think Angel told you I was in choir right?”.

“I think she did…I think she also said something about you not wanting to do cheerleading anymore…and just sing is this correct?” Nick questioned..

“Yes that is correct”.

“Following your dreams is a good thing believe me Carmen. Well they are about to get down to business up there on that stage. I hope you kick some major ass out there Carmen”

“I will try Nick…thanks for the luck I will be needing it.”

“No problem” the music soon stopped and the lights when down onto a specific person on the stage. He stood around 5’6” or so looked to be about medium built…. brown curly hair.

“Hello everybody are you all enjoying yourselves?” the crowd screamed,” Good I am glad to hear. Well most of you know me but for all of you new comers out there my name is Howie Dorough and I am the owner of this club. Shall we get this party started?” the crowd screams louder,” All right I just started this new karaoke gig and we have 3 judges and if you could please come up here guys when I call your names…AJ McLean…Nick Carter and Kevin Richardson.” Carmen took a quick look at Nick….Nick smiled back and walked up onto the stage.” There will be 10 people that will perform each week and we will pick one person…and that person will come back the following week to see if they can beat out everyone…the person who can stay the longest being ‘number 1’ gets a record contract with our local recording company here in Orlando. You guys ready to see who our first contestant is?” Howie walked to the right of the stage and graded a bowl full of names and picked one out” our first contestant is…. Carmen Coleman” Carmen felt like she was going to faint. She was the first. Carmen made her way up to the stage,” Now Carmen you will be judged on performance, and singing ability…do you think you can do that?”

“Yes…I…I think I can”

“Well let’s see what you will be singing” Howie pushed a button and it randomly picked a song that Carmen was going to be singing. The songs suddenly stopped.

“Ooo I Turn To You by Christina Aguilera you know the song?”

“Of course I am a Christina fan not a huge one but I have the CD”

“So this song should be easy for you then huh?”

“Oh yes Howie”

“Well let’s get this show on the road music please?” Howie handed Carmen the microphone. Carmen stepped out to the edge of the stage and held the microphone to her mouth.

When I’m lost in the rain In your eyes I know I’ll find the light to light my way When I’m scared and losing ground When my world is going crazy You can turn it all around And when I’m down you’re there Pushing me to the top You’re always there giving me All you’ve got

For a shield from the storm For a friend For a love to keep me safe and warm I turn to you For the strength to be strong For the will to carry on For everything that’s true For everything you do I turn to you I turn to you

When I lose the will to win I just reach for you And I can reach the sky again I can do anything Cause your love is so amazing Cause your love inspires me And when I need a friend You’re always on my side Giving me faith taking me through the night

For a shield from the storm For a friend For a love to keep me safe and warm I turn to you For the strength to be strong For the will to carry on For everything that’s true For everything you do I turn to you I turn to you

For the arms to be my shelter Through all the rain For truth that will never change For someone to lean on For a heart I can rely on through anything For that one who I can run to

For a shield from the storm For a friend For a love to keep me safe and warm I turn to you For the strength to be strong For the will to carry on For everything you do For everything that’s true I turn to you

The crowd screamed after hitting that last note. Carmen couldn’t believe it. “Wow give it up for Carmen Coleman. Okay now how about we turn to the judges and see what they thought,” Carmen turned towards Nick, AJ, and Kevin.

“Well I was very impressed with your vocal ability…I have to give you a perfect 10” Kevin said.

“A perfect 10 eh there Kev? AJ you?”

“I also gave her a 10 I couldn’t believe it”

“So far you have 20 points Carmen let’s see what Nick said”

“10 what can I say?”

“A perfect score…. Well our first contestant got off to the right start with a perfect 30. Go and sit over there in that chair and see if anyone can get the same score as you…and at the end we will see if you are coming back for next week”

*******

“All right folks it looks like we have a winner. Carmen you are coming back next week…. and who knows who might win the record label deal…thanks for the night everyone” Carmen walked off the stage and couldn’t believe it. She never thought that it would go this far nor did she think that she would win.

“Hey Carmen”

“Hey Nick…”

“You did it…. you won tonight’

“I come back next week Nick”

“I am sure you will do fine Carmen you so deserve this okay? I know you do”

“Thanks Nick”

“It was no problem. I think you should be getting home though. It’s almost your curfew and plus you are supposed to be at my house with Angel”

“All right Nicky I am going home. I’ll see you next week here again am I right?”

“Right see you next week Carmen”

“Bye Nick”

Song Credit "I Turn To You" By: Christina Aguliera Album: Christina Aguliera