- Text Size +
I stood outside of my house and watched the leaves blow on the tall trees above me. I had moved here just a short time ago with my son Baylee. After I had lost my wife to a battle of serios colon cancer I felt it was time to start out fresh. And so far I love being in this neighborhood.

“Daddy…does this look okay?” my son asked me as he wore his batman Halloween costume.

“It looks fine Baylee. Are you ready to go trick-or- treating with your uncle?”

“Yes” I wanted to stay home this year and hand out candy as his uncle Harlod took him out this year. I am not the happy perky person I was three months ago. Now I just sit around and hope she comes back. The doorbell rang,” I’ll get it daddy!” Baylee opened the door and there was my brother with his daughter Hope.

“Hey bro”

“Hey”

“You ready to go Baylee?” he nodded his head and grabbed his pumpkin head container and walked out the door.,” Try and have fun tonight bro. I’ll take care of him I promise” he gave me a hug and walked out the door. I shut the door and walked into my kitchen and got out the bowl of candy and walked outside to my front porch. This is where my wife always sat every Halloween since Baylee was born. This is the first year it isnt happening. As I watched the wind blow through the trees I saw one of my neighbor’s come up the walk. He was dressed as a bag of leaves. He had the biggest smile upon his face. As he walked closed I noticed something I had never noticed before he had braces oh his legs. I knew he couldn’t walk to good or he couldn’t talk to good but I guess I never knew why. This always explained why he never did anything like the other kids in the neighborhood.

“Hey Will how are you today?” he smiled as bright as the August sun when he looked at me.

“Good…Mr…Mr…Litt…rell” he said.

“That’s great! What about you Linday”

“Just fine. I have a favor though. I know you are new here and everything but I see your son and mine have something in common-baseball. So I was wondering if you could watch him a couple of nights a week?” I couldn’t say no. Will was one of the brightest kids I had ever seen. Somedays I almost felt so sorry for him…he was a boy without his father and he looks like his mothers miracle.

“Sure its no problem” I said as I handed out the bowl of candy to Will.

“Tell Mr. Littrell thank you Will.”

“Tha...nk…you”

“Your welcome” I watched Will walk off with his mother. I couldn’t help but smile. He may be different but in my eyes he’s a gift from God.

-----------------------------------

The next day Will came over to visit and play with Baylee. Some things you just never get it until you see. I never really realized how much I really enjoyed life until I met Will. He just keeps on going without carrying about what everyone though of him. And here I stand caring about ever little thing in the world.

“Daddy Will wants to hear it again”

“Again?”

“Ye..s..ple…ase” I have found out he loves ‘Hey Jude’ by the Beatles…it seems to be his favorite song.

“How about we listen to it after dinner? I promise” little Will nodded his head. He went into the kitchen and started making grilled cheese sandwiches. I served the boys their sandwiches and chips.

“Can I…pr..ay…ple..ase?” I nodded my head and he began,” I th..ank God for the litt..rells….my mom..my…this…fo..od…and for ever…y…bo…dy in the wor…ld” I noticed he didn’t pray for himself. This little boy before me was such a miracle. Each day that I see him the more happiness is brought into my life.

-------------------------------

The weeks went by and I was told they were going to be moving to California. I was quite upset when I was told he was leaving. Baylee and I met Lindsay and Will outside the house.

“I just wanted to thank you guys for watching Will when I was at work. You know they never thought he would live this long. And each day that I have him is just another gift” she said giving me a hug. I never really got to tell her that Will showed me the truth about how I have been so selfish this whole time. When I could have been looking on the bright side of things.

“Bri..an” Will called and I walked over to the Jeep Charokee,” Here this is for you. Open…when…we...ha...ve…left…ple…ase”

“Okay I am gonna miss you”

“Me too”

“Thank you again Brian and Baylee. I apperciate it a lot.” Lindsay said as she got into her car. Will hung his head out the window and waved good-bye. It really hit me that he was gone. I opened up the piece of paper and written in red crayon it was a picture of all of us saying Me & God Love You. All this time I was searching and wondering and I guess I would be still that was until I knew God’s Will. Baylee and I walked back into the house and closed the door…remembering I met Will on a Halloween night he was dressed as a bag of leaves.

========================= I thought I would add the lyrics of the song that the story was based off of. Its called 'Gods Will' and its by Martina McBride and the album its on is called "Martina"

I met God's Will on a Halloween night He was dressed as a bag of leaves It hid the braces on his legs at first

His smile was as bright as the August sun When he looked at me As he struggled down the driveway, it almost Made me hurt

Will don't walk too good Will don't talk too good He won't do the things that the other kids do, In our neighborhood

I've been searchin', wonderin', thinkin' Lost and lookin' all my life I've been wounded, jaded, loved and hated I've wrestled wrong and right He was a boy without a father And his mother's miracle I've been readin', writin', prayin', fightin' I guess I would be still Yeah, that was until I knew God's Will

Will's mom had to work two jobs We'd watch him when she had to work late And we'd all laugh like I hadn't laughed Since I don't know when

Hey Jude was his favorite song At dinner he'd ask to pray And then he'd pray for everybody in the world but him

[Chorus]

Before they moved to California His mother said, they didn't think he'd live And she said each day that I have him, well it's just another gift And I never got to tell her, that the boy Showed me the truth In crayon red, on notebook paper, he'd written Me and God love you

I've been searchin', prayin', wounded, jaded I guess I would be still Yeah that was until... I met God's Will on a Halloween night He was dressed as a bag of leaves