- Text Size +
Chapter Six

“Julie, did you report your phone missing?”

“Yeah, how’d you know?” she asked looking at him across the table. He could smell the steaming eggs that sat right in front of him but he was sick. He could barely open his mouth. He was scared witless. He just wished he was still asleep. There the bed was a reverie unshaken. There was nothing in his dreams but the past. The past with his father before he was twelve. The past when his mother was responsible and his father loved them. Krissy was barely human then as she was new. He looked away from Julie. He felt a hand slip softly onto his.

“Everything is going to be alright.”

“They’re the FBI Julie. They have Chandler and are probably interrogating her endlessly.”

“What about Jerod?” she asked rubbing his hand, “Try him.”

“Too scared Julie.” He said looking into her eyes. She could see he was clearly. He was only seventeen and the country was literally after him.

“I want to turn myself in Julie.” He said. She shook her head.

“Kevin, I…I can’t let you do that. Just take this sleeping pill and go get some sleep okay. You’re just tired.”

“Yeah Julie, I am! Krissy tried to run away. I tried to fucking kill someone and I’m tired of running! From what? My life?!”

Julie smiled at him, “Go to sleep.” She said putting the pill into his mouth. He liked it when she did that to him, mothered him. It was almost nostalgic. He wanted someone to do that to him. He missed it. He was tired of being the responsible one. He was tired of being the adult. He had been being a father for five years and he was tired.

He swallowed the pill and sipped at the glass of water. He set the glass down and looked at the eggs briefly.

“Don’t worry about those.” She said smiling. She pulled him from the chair and wrapped her arm around his waist. “Come on hon.” She led him to the bedroom and helped him in the bed. She sat by his side and stroked the black hair that seemed foreign to him. He closed his eyes.

“Why are you doing this? Why do you care so much?”

“Because I know…if someone ever put their hands on my Magnolia, I’d be beating some ass. Killing some ass matter-of fact.” She smiled as she faded from his view and he shut his eyes. His world faded to black.

”Krissy.” He called and she looked at him with one eye through underneath the blanket. “Know I love you. I’m sorry for being stupid.” He said rubbing her back and she pulled the blanket back over her head. He sighed and pulled the blanketed bundle into his arms. She was softly giggling. He knew she was trying to cross her arms as he squeezed her tightly in his arms.

“Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevin.” She whined. He laughed.

“Yes pumpkin.” He kissed what he perceived was her head and she giggled. “Are you ready to reveal yourself once more to me?”

“No.” she said trying to sound mad. She was failing miserably.

“Okay, okay. You’ll just have to be forced.” He smiled and he dropped her on the bed. He pulled the blanket from her and she rolled out onto the bed as he heard Julie slam the door running in.

“Go out the window now! Now!” she screamed as she raced into their room. She ripped open the window and grabbed a jacket.

“What’s going on?”

“Get Krissy and go!”

“Julie, why?”

“They’re coming. Go.” She said as Kevin helped her out the window. He slid half way out the window and Julie pulled his arm. She shoved a pouch in his hand.

“And here.” She said giving his a pistol. He starred at her in amazement.

“No, Julie.”

“Take it and get out. You have no time. Now go.” She said pushing him from the window and closing it. He could hear them from the front. He made his way from the back through the thick bushes to the sidewalk. He could hear them run around the back.

He turned around when a oficer smotted him. He pulled the gun from his pocket quickly and aimed. He felt burning sensations stabbing into him and he fell gasping. He could hear Julie screaming. He could hear Krissy crying. His world faded to black.