- Text Size +
"Have a nice flight," the blond stewardess greeted us with a big toothy grin as while we passed through the cramped aisle struggling with our carry-ons. I glared sourly.


What is it with these perky stewardesses? Don īt they ever have shitty days? But hey the same can be said about us in the entertainment business. We always have to smile, smile and smile, even when we feel like crying. Ok, here we go again, back to the crying issue. But that was what I felt doing right now. Crying, that and maybe jumping out of the airplane window. Both were bad moves. There was concrete on the driveway and I would probably shatter into more than a few small pieces.


Shuddering I thought about AJ īs precious words. Bawling didn't seem like a good idea either, since I would be called a baby by the others. So I decided to sit in my economy class seat, and shut up...as soon as I could find it that is.


I groaned while I searched frantically for my seat, 22J. This was a big ass plane as AJ had put it. Kevin was more specific, and he had told us that it was a Boeing 747D that was going to take us all the way to Scandinavia home of the blond babes. ( That last part about the babes passed from the lips of AJ and Howie, who grinned like mad when they said it). I could care less about babes, babes were not worth risking your life over. No matter how much the guys tried to garnish the plane and make the flight seem like a minor ordeal....I still viewed it as a flying death trap.


Ok, let īs see if I get my usual bad luck, which in my case means getting the seat beside a wing, or even worse, the engine. Not that the view was my first concern, no frankly I don't care about looking out of the window, since usually I am far too busy keeping my body and mind in check.


The reason why I dislike the engine seats is that everything can be heard and felt. There can be comments tossed in my direction like " Oh Nicky, the engine just died, and now we are going to CRASH!!!!" Guess who uttered those words of comfort? Yup, my good buddy, AJ!


Blindly I went trough rows of people, hoping and praying that the seat would not be by an engine when I heard my name being called out.


" Nick! Your seat is here," Howie sounded so cheerful when he patted the seat next to him. I made my way over to him, after bumping into several people that were putting their bags in the compartments above the seats. Well looks like 22 J is my favorite number...again... Yeah, you guessed it, an engine seat. How about that?


" I took your window seat since I know that you don īt like sitting by the windows," Howie said in a light tone. How thoughtful of him.


Nodding I went on with my next task, trying to fit my carry on under the seat infront of me. It was a fruitless attempt. After holding up the line, with my oh so sexy butt, I was subject to many curses thrown in my direction.


" Oh Frack, give it up," Brian sighed.


That further fueled my desire to get my bag in the compartment, and I pushed even harder. No way I was going to put my bag up in those small cabins on the top. Besides I had a big stash of Mars candy bars in there, and I was not going to give it up without a struggle.


Brian, who waited patiently, sighed heavily. " Nick, leave it. Here I'll take it," He reached for the bag and I had to give it up. Sulkily I sat down and put my seatbelt on, then I watched as Brian struggled with MY bag. Heh, heh, heh..revenge can be so sweet.


After being cursed at by several passengers, he finally managed squeeze my bag into the compartment and sat down in the seat beside me heavily. Closing his eyes he rubbed the bridge of his nose in a small circular motion.. The exercise had worn my old buddy out, and I felt a trifle guilty when I saw that he didn't look so good.


"Bri, are you ok?"


He nodded, still not opening his eyes. I took a good look at him. He looked very pale. If he was in a horror movie he wouldn't need make up to play the part of a zombie. "Are you sure?" I asked feeling concerned, momentarily forgetting my own worries.


" Yeah, just a bit tired," he mumbled, then sneezed loudly. Fumbling in his pockets he pulled out a tissue and blew his nose noisily.


Yeah right...


Brian wasn't much of a flyer mainly because he was afraid of heights. This was the reason why he always got the seat the aisle. However, the cold that he had been battling for two days did nothing to improve his condition. I could only pray that this wouldn īt be an bumby ride.


As more and more people started to file in and find their seats, I decided to scope the plane now that I had a better view of it from the inside. I did this for three reasons, first of all I wanted to check where the exit doors were. Not that I think that I would need them, I actually read somewhere that I have more of a chance of being killed by a donkey than in an airplane crash... but one can never be too sure.


Second, I wanted to see if there were any beatiful girls on the flight on course to the land of the beautiful blond babes that could further add to the beautiful scenery. I was just checking out this for Howie, of course. I'm such a great guy. Oh look, I had found one, a great looking girl with long blond hair a couple of seats down. I gave her one of my best smiles and got one back. You know, if I got bored sitting next to Brian, I just might have to make my way over there. Who knows she might be my love connection. Shit. I quickly looked away. On the other hand, maybe not. Her tall well built boyfriend suddenly appeared and he didn't look as happy as she did to see me. I sighed.


My third reason was that I wanted to see where my two other band members were seated.It turned out that both AJ and Kevin were sitting next to us in the center aisle between.


AJ caught my eye, and grinned sinisterly.. He made another attempt to show me how we were going to crash, while mouthing the words "crash" and "burn". I felt my face drain out of all color.


AJ was jabbed in the side by Kevin. "Stop it," he warned, giving AJ the evil eye. AJ shrugged his shoulders, but the look he gave me was "You're dead meat." His threats were made in vain, because of his location, I knew that Kevin would be monitoring AJ. My AJ problem was no more.


Now it was my turn to grin.


But my happiness was soon to evaporate, as I remembered I was still on the plane and it would be taking off shortly. Groaning I sank back in my seat thinking of the long ten hours of flying ahead of me.


The pretty stewardess started to go through the standard safety procedures and I leaned back, trying to look uninterested. In reality, every word she said etched itself into my brain. Casting a quick eye at the safety instructions ahead of me I tried not to reveal how much I wanted to memorize it. That would have been way too uncool.


What was it with safety instructions? Everyone tried to be so off hand about it, when they knew they wanted to rip the instructions off the back of their seats and study it like it like AJ studying the newest issue of playboy.


Brian must have sensed my fear as he removed the safety packet from the seat and casually put it between me and him on the arm rest. This way I could look at the instructions without being too uncool or getting caught by AJ. After the safety lesson was over, I gave Brian a grateful smile. He smiled back at me. Brian was the best. He was the only one that really knew me.


I tensed up, the engines were starting to warm up and the lights in the cabin were turned off.Closing my eyes, I gripped the armrest as the plane started to move. I hate take off!. It īs like the void in between life and death, you don īt know if the plane will take off successfully, or screw up and do a nose dive back onto the runway.


The plane started to hurtle down the runway, and soon I could feel the gravity pressing me against my seat. Glancing at Brian I could see that he looked as bad as I felt. I started to search in the back pocket of the seat in front of me, for the airsick bag. I tried to play it cool, like the safety manual, grabbing for an airsick back would look uncool. I located the bag and shifted it into a position where I could have easy access to it if I needed it, but no one would have to see it if I didn't.


My stomach was about to jump out of my mouth as I felt the plane get its first up. I swallowed hard not wanting to make a mess out of the situation. A light tap on my hand made me turn my head to the right only to be met with Howie's concerned brown eyes. Without a word he handed me his airsick bag, and I took it gratefully all thoughts of being viewed as a nerd left me.


Me and moving vehicles don īt get along. There are three big "No's" in the Nick's guide book to moving vehicles.


The first no is planes. Yup. you have probably guessed it by now. Dramamine or shit like that never seems to help me, and I usually get to use the airsick bag at least once during a flight. This was the main reason why the guys never actually fought to sit with me on planes. Another reason why they didn't like to sit with me was the fact that when I got bored I got really hyper. The guys didn't want to be bothered with a teenager on a sugar rush. At least, that was what Kevin said out loud one time when he was pissed at me.


The second no was roller coasters. As much as I hate to admit it, I really dislike those things. Me and my little brother Aaron had ridden them many times, but it always ended up with me sticking my head in a trash can. Not so funny.


The third no is motor vehicles. It can be cars, vans, or busses. Even trains sometimes make me wanna hurl. Ok, I could stand them when they were not jerking around. But if you want to be on the safe side, I wouldn't advise you sit next to me while traveling...anywhere.


For the first time today luck was on my side, and I didn't have to make use of the bag. But as a precaution I still leave it on my lap, one could never be too sure with my stomach. It liked to play tricks. As soon as the plane picked up the right altitude and the "fasten seat belt" sign was off, I decided to try and take a nap. Brian had already picked up on my idea, and was dead to the world. Howie, on the other hand, was looking at the screen in front of him that told us what the route would be and in what speed the plane was going. How exciting. What AJ and Kevin were doing I didn't care about. AJ I was pissed at, so I didn't care what he was doing, and Kevin was too boring to even wonder about.


With a deep sigh, I closed my eyes and tried to think soothing thoughts to calm my stomach. Somehow I succeeded at my task, and was out like a light in seconds.