- Text Size +
”Daddy misses you Baylee…Yes daddy misses mommy too.” Brian chuckled at his son’s question. “Baby go on and play and let mommy talk. Okay Daddy’s big boy? I wuv you too.” He made a kissing noise into the phone only to hear his wife coming back, “No honey that was for Bay.” He laughed. “Okay yes you can share some kisses too.” They talked for a little while until it was time to hang up. “The bus has stopped and we’re at the hotel so I gotta go. Tell Baylee that I love him very much.” He drew back his breath before continuing, “I miss you too Leigh and I call you tonight.” With that he hung up.

God how he missed his family!

They hadn’t been out on the road long and yet he missed his wife and son so much that it hurt. There was no telling how things would be when they went on the big Never Gone tour across the world. With a sigh Brian drew his hand through his thin hair. Looking outside he saw that lots of fans were waiting at the hotel and that only meant one thing; he would have to hurry through the crowd if he didn’t want to get attacked.

“You ready to go?” Frank, his body guard asked as he talked with the other bodyguards over the walkie talkie. They were making sure that there would be a clear line between the fans and the bus. All so the guys could get their well needed privacy.

“Sure.” Brian nodded as he picked up his black and white NIKE training bag. “Did the other fellas arrive yet?”

Frank nodded. “Yes but Howie’s the only one that checked in.”

“Okay.” The phone call made him feel a bit down and Brian could thank his lucky stars that his longtime body guard was a silent and firm man that didn’t spend too much time on discussion. Normally Brian could be very social but it would’ve been tiresome if the man that had to spend almost 24/7 with him would’ve talked all the time and he was very grateful for all the peace and quiet he could get. This tours schedule was very full and demanding especially since they only stayed at one city for a day , and then moved on to another one to do a concert. They were also on a radio interview tour since they were doing promotion as well as interacting in both tv shows as well as interviews. In between, on their sparetime they did their best to practice and discuss the details for the upcoming tour in Europe that they would do later in the fall. To say that it wasn’t hectic already would be an understatement.

After stopping to write a few autographs Brian was whisked quickly into the lobby where Howie was already talking with a couple of business suits. His friend smiled and shook hands as if it was the most natural thing to do and there were more than one time when Brian had felt envious over how easy the Latino had it when it came to socializing. During their hiatus he knew that Howie or ‘Trump Junior’ as they nicknamed him had been into business and he had proved to be an natural when it came to organization. After a short nod of acknowledgement he moved over to the sofas and sank down on the expensive brown couch made of genuine Buffalo leather. Running his hand over the expensive leather he couldn’t help but think that one of the receipts that they had made it in the world were the standard to the hotels that they lived in this tour. There were times when a flashback came about how it was in the old days and what sleazy paces they had to sleep in. They often shared rooms and Brian was the one that shared it with Nick since no one could stand the blonde’s constant talking and giggling, except him of course. Thinking of Nick Brian scanned the lobby if he could see his “little brother” since there hadn’t been any sight of him since he’d left to go for his bus. AJ had told him that Nick was in a bad mood, which didn’t come as such a surprise either since the youngest had an habit of having his mood swings, especially when he was constantly put into pressure and stressful situations. Kevin had talked with him last night and told him that he was worried over Nick’s health since he seemed to be having a really bad cold. He didn’t neglect to mention either that it was bad since they were only in the beginning of the tour and already Nick’s health had begun to fad. Not a good sign at all!

“The fans were totally wild out there,” AJ commented with a sigh as he sat down beside his friend. He ran his hand over his face in a shaky gesture as if he was doing his best to gain strength from a battle he’d just endured.

Brian nodded. “Yeah. It still looks as if they got the touch.” Smiling briefly he added, “You seen the rest of the guys?”

“You mean Nick and Kevin?”

Another nod. “Mmmm.”

“Last thing I saw Train was still out there signing autographs, but where Kaos is beats me!” He fished up from his front pocket a pack of smokes. “You don’t mind do you? I really need a cigarette after battling with those girls.”

Brian shrugged. He’d never liked it that Jay was a smoker but then he couldn’t do much about it. It was worse with Nick who started smoking in older days and he thought it was just stupid to pick up such a habit this late. Whenever he’d tried talking his friend out of it all he got was a comment that it was none of his business so he’d gave up dealing with it months ago. Whether he liked it or not it was Nick’s life and if he wanted to ruin his lungs and voice it was his choice.

Not feeling in any mood to start up a conversation Brian stuck to himself watching the people in the lobby swirling around like bees in a honey jar. There were lots of security and the row of people the Backstreet Boys surrounded each other with was impressive. Even tough he hid a yawn behind his hand AJ caught his action.

“You’re tired?” his friend asked blowing out the smoke.

“A little.” Sleeping on the bus was never easy and now he longed for a nice hot bath and few hours of rest before it was time to face the music again. They were scheduled for meetings with the media and afterwards it was time to meet the fans when it came to sound check. Then they were allowed a couple of hours before it was time to enter the stage again. Those hours were often spent chilling out or playing table tennis or some other activity. Today he’d promised to call Leighanne back besides he missed his family so bad. The last words that Baylee had said “I miss you Dad,” was etched into his mind like ink that couldn’t be washed away. It was way too long to be away from his family and if it was just up to him he would’ve either brought his wife and son with him, or canceled the whole tour. Neither was an option. Too many people depended on him and to tell the truth there was also a very satisfying feeling to be onstage again. They were having lots of fun. When it came to his family Leigh was in the middle of arranging a charity event for the “Heart club” and had very little time to go on tour with him. However they had talked about them joining him in a couple of weeks, more in the end of the tour and Brian counted the days until it would be a reality.

Several hard coughs brought him back to reality.

Looking up Brian saw that Nick had entered the lobby and he was bent down in a harsh coughing fit. His bodyguard was standing by his side, patiently waiting for the attack to finish.

“Man that doesn’t sound too good,” Kevin had sneaked up behind them. “You better get that checked out or you won’t have any voice left tonight.”

Ignoring the comment Nick shrugged. When the worst seemed to be over he looked up, red in his face from the coughing fit. “It’s nothing.” Wheezing he did his best to catch his breath. “You got any smokes left AJ? I left mine on the bus.”

“Sure.” Without wasting a second AJ threw him a full package. “There you go. Take this. I don’t need it.”

“Thanks.” Nick grinned with attitude. “Thanks dude. I owe you one.” Putting the cig into his mouth he lit it up with a lighter, after blowing out a couple of clouds he sighed heavily. “I needed that.”

Kevin shook his head. Annoyed. This was the last comment he’d expected from the blonde and Brian agreed that it was stupid. But then Nick could be very stupid at times. Coughing your brains out and then asking for a cancer stick didn’t seem to be the wisest thing to do. But then, Brian decided, it was Nick they were talking about. The guy that acted before his brains had a chance to react and then wondered why he was stuck in a situation.

It had always been like this. There were endless of stories how Nick acted before he had a chance to think and then the guys were left to deal with unwanted results.

“Nicky you shouldn’t smoke sounding like that.” Howie had joined in into the bashing of his friends habit and Brian held his breath, waiting for a reaction to take place. The blondes blue eyes told him that he was more than a little annoyed over his friends reactions but to his surprise all they got back was a shrug and an glare that told them that Nick would do whatever he pleased even though he knew it was bad for his health. It was his life and he was entitled to live it as he wanted to, without anyone interfering.

Brian sighed heavily. He wished that someone could talk some senses into the blonde but it seemed as talking didn’t do much good these days. This tour Nick often stayed to himself on his bus, either with the company of some of his buddies or a girl or just his bodyguard. This act was surprising since his younger friend had always been very eager for company and sometimes on tour they had to practically baby sit him since Nick never liked being alone.

Another strong cough cut through his thoughts and now Kevin had come up to join the rest of the guys. “You need to have a doctor looking into that cough. It seems rough.”

“It’s nothing. It’s just a cold. I’m fine.” Nick took another drag as he did his best to act if everything was all right but the oldest band member wasn’t fooled that easily.

“I’m serious. If you don’t pay attention you could wind up with pneumonia....and being in the beginning of a tour that’s the last thing we need right now.”

The air in the room suddenly grew tense. Brian waited for a comment back when the tour manager suddenly interrupted them. “Here you go. Here are the cards to your rooms.” Handing them out he went on, “Ihe fifteenth floor is all ours.”

Without wasting any time Brian nodded. Those hours of rest were well needed and with a swift move he slung his bag over his shoulder and then walked towards the elevator. In the back he could hear how his cousin and D continued arguing with Nick but he paid no further attention and instead pressed his finger on the button, waiting for the car to come down. His body guard followed him like a second skin but to his relief made no comment about the pissed off mood Brian seemed to be in.

“You okay B?”

A hand was placed over his shoulder and turning around he was met with AJ’s concerned eyes. “I asked you if you were okay?”

“Isn’t that something you should’ve asked Nick instead,” Brian hissed to his younger friend.

The rebel’s eyes darkened. “I know you’re pissed and....” Brian opened his mouth to answer when AJ held up his hand, “No wait, let me talk...It itches you B that Nick smokes and to tell you the truth I’m just as concerned as you are about Nick’s health.”

“Are you really?” The question was more of a sneer.

“Yes I am.”

“Well you got a weird way of showing it.” Brian felt his pent up anger getting ready to explode but there were no time since the elevator opened and they all stepped inside, bodyguards included. The car was filled with people looking strangely at them as two broad goons were placed on either side of the men. A young couple seemed to recognize them and Brian heard a nervous giggle from the woman. He smiled at her and she tugged at her boyfriends arm while watching his every move. The stares made him feel uncomfortable and he couldn’t wait until the elevator stopped and he could leave the car.

Finally, after several short stops, the car was empty and they reached the fifteenth floor which was on top of the hotel. The conversation they held impatiently while waiting to be alone was taking new speed and as soon as they left the car AJ took up the line again.

“You know,” he sighed, “It won’t do you any good in being mad about things like this. Kaos is one stubborn son of a bitch and changing his mind when he’s set into doing something is close to impossible.” The rebel flashed a set of white teeth but when the grin wasn’t returned he went on, “Nick’s a big boy. His an adult and it’s about time he takes responsibility over his own actions.” A pause, “beside we’re not paid to baby sit his lazy ass either.”

Even though Brian didn’t want to admit that this friend was right he had to agree. It was true. Nick was a big boy now and he was entitled to do whatever he wanted even though it was stupid. “I guess you’re right,” he said slowly.

“I am right,” AJ filled in, sticking his white card into the locker. When Brian didn’t say anything he added with a grin, “I always am.” And then he closed the door quickly behind him before Brian had the chance to retort a comment back.

“Bastard.”

Sticking his own card into the locker he waited for the light to turn green and then entered. It was a large luxurious suit. A room that would be big enough for Leigh and Baylee to live in and that trail of thoughts didn’t help much. Brian slung his bag onto the king size bed and then sat down on the bed. He closed his eyes briefly before picking up the phone, dialing his favorite number. It took several signals before someone picked it up and he was just about to hang up when a well known voice could be hard on the other line.

“Littrell”

“Hi honey it’s me.” Brian’s heart beat faster when he heard his wife’s soft voice. It was like music to his ears.”

“Brian? Is something wrong?” She sounded desperate, almost in panic.

“No...no,” he reassured her quickly, “I just missed you.”

There was a short chuckle, “Oh honey, we just talked to each other.”

“So. I got some time left and I thought I call you anyway.” He twisted the cord nervously before asking, “I didn’t disturb you did I?”

“No.” He could hear her smiling. “Mom took Baylee for a walk and I was just done taking a shower.”

“Oh,” a brief pause then something mischievous came into his eyes all other worries forgotten, “What you’re wearing?”

There was a giggle on the other line, “That Brian Littrell you would really wanna know.”

“Yes I would.” He grinned. Kicking off his shoes he lay down on the soft bed, making himself comfortable. This was one rest he really needed and looked forward too...