- Text Size +
Chapter 7

Nick nervously stared through the window of the hotel. In his heart he knew that he wasn't going to be able to get away with what he did. Someone was going to find out what really happened. AJ might slip and tell the police and that would be it. He would be in jail while AJ probably was sentenced to something easier because he informed the police. Nick ran his fingers and turned away from the window. Shutting his eyes, he took in a breath. Upon opening his eyes, Nick decided to go into the bathroom.

Stopping to stare at himself in the mirror, he sighed. Nothing about him had changed. It was almost as if he had expected something to. It was as if he believed that since he had killed someone a physical change would take place. Nick dropped his eyes. He no longer wanted to look at himself, he couldn't. Guilt was finally starting to set in. The seriousness of what he had done was beginning to eat away at his heart.

It was only an accident. He hadn't intended things to end up like this. Killing her never crossed his mind. All he knew was that he was completely overcome with anger and his actions were beyond his control. Right after that, everything he did once AJ had stumbled onto what had happened was done out of pure fear and shock. He'd killed her and someone found out about it. That's all he cared about at the time. Now he wished he had done what AJ had said and told everyone the truth. It was too late for that now, things would be a lot worse off if he confessed now. He would have lied to the police and his best friends.

"Nick," AJ said as he walked into the room. Nicks attention immediately went to AJ. At first neither of them said anything. They were both silently daring each other to say what was on their minds first.

"What do you want AJ? Are you here to tell me that you ratted me out?" Nick questioned.

"No, I did just talk to the police but I didn't say anything," AJ answered, "so now are you going to tell me what you were thinking about?"

"Nothing. Besides what business of that is yours?" AJ sighed at Nicks statement.

"It's going to be hard for me to keep lying like this. Sure, I've made up shit before but it was nothing like this. No one was dead because of it."

"Don't say a fucking thing alright?" Nick demanded, mustering up the little bit of anger that he could find within himself.

"You're starting to feel guilty aren't you Nick?" AJ asked as he made his way towards the bathroom where Nick was.

"What the fuck do you think AJ??? I didn't want to kill her. I just... I don't even know. It all happened so fast," Nick confessed. AJ glared at him, feeling some sympathy towards him.

"Then why do you want to cover everything up?"

"Because they aren't going to believe that it was just an accident AJ. They're going to think that I'm lying. But you know it was an accident right? You do believe me don't you?"

"Yeah I know Nick and I believe you. But I think you need to say something to the police because if they find out what really happened, then things are going to be a lot worse off if you would have just confessed."

"I'm not telling them what happened AJ, so don't try that bullshit with me. I'm not going to jail, it was an accident!" Nick shouted with his anger over taking him. "And you better not say a fucking word alright!?"

"Yeah, I'm not going to say anything."

"Good, yeah," Nick said hastily as he began to nervously pace around the room. "I can't have this. I mean with my record. From when I was arrested before."

"That doesn't mean anything. They just thought that you were some kid out having some fun and things went a little too far. Shit happens..."

"Yeah well murder just doesn't happen and no one is going to believe me when I say it was an accident. The only reason you know that it was an accident is because you walked in on me otherwise you know you wouldn't believe me either."

"You know what, you're probably right, but you know what? That doesn't give you an excuse to lie about everything. You have Lena's family to think about. They're going to be sitting at home wondering where their daughter is and you're going to know the entire time. And you're going to know that everything is happening because of you."

"AJ don't try the fucking guilt trip with me. It's not going to work because I'm not going to confess. No matter what you say."

"Look, it's only been a day and I'm already getting sick of all of this. You're the one that killed her and I'm not going to do down because of your mistake!" AJ yelled. "You need to do something before things get too far out of hand."

"Things are already out of hand! None of this was ever susposed to happen! What? Do you think I woke up one morning and decided that 'today is the day that I'm going to murder someone?' It was a god damn accident."

"I know that!" AJ yelled in responce. "Do you think I wanted to get involved in this shit? Hell fucking no Nick. I just walked in to it and you were to god damn hard headed to call the police and thell them what really happened!"

"You know what!? Fuck you AJ!! I don't need you to do this shit to me!"

"Well guess what you do if you don't want me to turn you the fuck in!"

"They'd never believe you," Nick said, his voice becoming low and serious.

"Wanna bet? I'm sure they'll believe me when I take them to where you dumped the body. How are you going to cover your ass then huh Nick?"

"You wouldn't."

"Is that so? Let's just see what happens."

"If you tell the police, you're going to have to tell them that you were involved," Nick shot back.

"Only because you threatened me!"

"How long have we been friends now?" Nick questioned, "We've been through a lot together right? Let's just put this behind us.." Nick pleaded.

"You've never killed anyone before," AJ reasoned.

"Friends protect friends right? They have each others back. Do you have my back, J?"

"Nick, this is different.."

"How?"

"Some one is dead because of you! Don't you get that?"

"Yes I get that! I'm just scared of what's going to happen to me."

"This isn't all about you Nick!"

"Shut the fuck up and leave me alone alright!?" AJ glared over at Nick with a look of pure anger but decided not to act upon it. Instead, he turned around and stormed out of the room.