- Text Size +
Chapter 8

Nick walked nervously around him room for what seemed to be the millionth time. It had been a week since that night and with each passing day, more and more guilt started to sink in. It began to take over his heart and his mind. At night he would dream about what he had done and wake up to find his body covered in a nervous sweat. Again and again he would watch Lena die at his hands. With each nightmare, the look of evil on his face began to grow stronger and more powerful.

It seemed as if no one else could see it though, or they may have simply written off to the stress that came with this situation. Whatever it was, Nick was glad that they hadn't thought that anything was wrong with him beyond that. Nick splashed some water on his face as he stood over the sink in the bathroom. This wasn't happening. It had to be some sort of twisted nightmare that would end any moment now.

That was the only explaination. It was in no way possible that he had commited murder. Especially not when the person who lost their life was the woman that he loved more than his own life. Nick took a shaky breath as he walked back into the bedroom. The bedroom where he had killed Lena. It all seemed so stupid now. Nick sat on the couch in the room, he had not gone back to sleeping on the bed since the night everything happened. He just couldn't bring himself to do so.

Nick stood up when he heard a knock at the door. He was almost positive that it was AJ yet again trying to convince him that he should turn himself in. He opened the door quickly.

"AJ.. I'm not..." he paused when he didn't see AJ but Vanessa, Lenas' best friend since the first grade. She stood there, looking up at him. "Vanessa... hi.." he finally forced out.

"Hello Nick," she replied, her voice lacking the usual cheeriness that it usually possessed.

"What are you doing here?"

"I think you know the answer to that." Nick shook his head no. "I want to know what happened to Lena. There was no way that I was going to sit back and do nothing while her killer is still out there."

"They don't know if she's dead or not," Nick said sadly. He knew. He knew everything.

"Can I come in?" she asked.

"Oh yeah sure," Nick answered quickly as he moved out of the way to allow her to come in.

"Something tells me that she's dead Nick," Vanessa blurted out.

"You don't know that," Nick said, trying to hide his uncomfort.

"You've heard about how twins have these really strange bonds like when the one is hurt, the other feels their pain?" Nick nodded. "Well, I'm getting one of those feelings. I don't know how to explain it but something is telling me that she's dead."

"It's probably nerves. You're just really scared by all of this," Nick tried to reason with her as he would if he knew nothing about what really happened to Lena. She shook her head no.

"Lee and I went through a lot together and I've had this gut feeling before. She's been through a lot of shit and without even knowing anything for sure, I knew something was wrong. Like I was at work one day and I had this strange feeling and I called Lena. She'd gotten into a big fight with her mom and was really upset. Nick, I knew that she needed someone then like I know now," Vanessa said sternly.

"What's being here going to do?" he asked.

"I don't know yet, but something told me that if I came here I would find all the answers I'm looking for," she explained.

"The police are doing what they can," Nick said as he walked towards one of the windows near the bed and stared out through it. "No one saw anything or heard anything, they're doing what they can with what they have," he said, more to assure himself that he didn't know it was he who killed her and not to comfort Vanessa.

"Did she say something to you that might... I don't know... made you think something was wrong?"

"No, everything was fine. She said that she was going out for something, I really don't remember, I was half asleep."

"So anyway, how've you been?"

"I don't know. Everything is just so crazy right now," he responded truthfully.

"Yeah, that's basically how I feel. How are the other guys? They doing alright?" she asked, changing the subject, at least at the moment anyway.

"They're okay, a little shocked by all of this but they're okay I guess."

"That's good," she said softly, "well, I'm going to get my stuff from my car and see if I can get a room."

"You can stay here," Nick heard himself say before he could think as he turned around to face her. "You could take the bed and I'm just sleep on the couch."

"I can't do that to you," she replied.

"It's alright, I won't mind at all." She looked at him for a moment, considering taking him up on his offer.

"Are you sure you won't mind?"

"No, not at all," he said again. She smiled.

"Thanks, I'm gonna get my stuff, I'll be right back."

"Alright, I'm going to go to AJ's room for a few minutes. I just want to talk to him," Nick stated. She nodded.

"Okay." She walked out of the room and Nick let out a nervous sigh. She was going to figure out what happened sooner or later. Everyone was, it was only a matter of time. Nick quickly headed out of his room and towards AJ's. He knocked at the door, heavily. AJ answered seconds later.

"What?" AJ asked when he saw Nick standing there.

"I need to talk to you, let's go inside," he stated. The two of them entered AJ's room, and AJ shut the door behind them. "Vanessa's here."

"Why?" AJ asked.

"She wants to know what happened with Lena. She said that she knows that something was wrong and that she had to come out here. I'm not going to be able to keep it from her. She's going to find out. I know it," Nick spat out.

"What do you want me to do about that?" AJ questioned. "That's your problem, not mine."

"AJ help me out here! I can't do this shit on my own," Nick replied.

"Why don't you just confess and then you wouldn't have to worry about all of this. It will all be over," AJ stated.

"You know that's not an option."

"And why not? Cause you're too much of a pussy to deal with the consequences?" A look of anger touched Nicks face and he grabbed AJ and pushed him against the door quickly.

"Fuck you," he seethed.

"Watch out Nick before you've got another murder on your hands. How you going to get out of this one, huh? You can't use the same excuse twice then the cops would know something is up, won't they?" AJ said tauntingly. Nick dropped his grip on AJ and stepped back. "Didn't think so."

"Just shut the fuck up AJ," Nick said, trying to keep himself from yelling.

"Look, I'm not going to say anything," AJ stated. "So whatever happens from now on, everything that happens is your fucking problem because I don't want anything to do with this any more alright?"

"I can't do this on my own," Nick said.

"Well, I guess you should have thought about that before you did something this stupid."