- Text Size +
Nick walked along the beach in Miami, Florida. He was there for Spring Break. He was a sophomore in college majoring in architecture and design in Cleveland, Ohio. He enjoyed feeling the breeze of the ocean hitting his face…he missed the warm air that he longed for ever since he left this place last year.


He now was a college student and had friends and was quite the popular with all the girls. But there was just one girl for him. Her name was Mary Anne. She had blonde hair and green eyes…she had to most perfect petite body that anyone could ever ask for. They dated once, but nothing seemed to work out. But Mary Anne would always be his first love.


He saw a carnival up ahead and started to walk towards it. He and Mary Anne would go every year with a couple of buddies and just have a good time. He looked ahead and saw some of his old friends. He quickly ran to them.


“Hey guys what’s going on?”


“Nick my man what’s up? I didn’t know you were in town. Why didn’t you look us up?” his best friend Brian asked.


“I am only here for a few days anyway. I tried as well but no one knew your new number” he said.


“Oh yeah…so how’s life treating you in Ohio? You hook up with anyone?”


“Life is good. It’s totally different there than it is here. I haven’t had anyone special yet. I care more about my work than I do anything else really.” Nick looked across the way and saw Mary Anne. She looked even more radiant. She was wearing a two piece polka dot bikini. He hadn’t see her for so long. It made him miss her even more.


“You still think about her man?”


“Yeah” he sighed.


“Go over there and talk to her…it couldn’t hurt. We can all go to the carnival just like old times.” Brian suggested.


“Okay…” Nickapproached Mary Anne quite nervous. He didn’t know what to say to her.


“Nick…. what’s up? I haven’t seen you forever. What are you doing here?” Mary Anne asked giving Nick a hug.


“Just visiting for Spring Break I guess” he replied.


“So what have you been up to anyway?”


“Nothing much really…mostly just school work” he laughed.


“Yeah me too…it’s a bitch ain’t it?” Nick nodded in agreement.” Hey I have an idea why don’t we all hang out? Just like old times? I really miss you here…so now you don’t have a choice” she grabbed his arm and started to drag him towards the carnival.


“You know…you are just the same now as you were when I left this place”


“Really?”


“Yeah” he pointed to her feet she was carrying her shoes in her hand,” You still like the feel of the sand under your feet huh?” Nick asked as he smiled.


“Yeah some things just never get old I guess” she smiled back looking at Nick. He missed her smile. He wondered what went wrong with them. There were just so many questions that were never answered. But he was too afraid to even ask them in the first place. He didn’t know what to say to Mary Anne. What do you say to someone whom you haven’t seen in a year?


“So when do you leave?” she asked.


“In the morning” he sighed. She looked disappointed. He couldn’t just leave Ohio and come here…she was the reason he lad left in the first place,” Sorry I told you I wasn’t staying very long.”


“Its okay Nick can I ask you a question though?”


“Sure”


“Why did you leave here in the first place?” Nick hesitated to even answer the question. He didn’t want to even think about it.


“Well it was because of you Mary Anne…our history and our break up was just so hard for me to handle. Everywhere I looked I saw you in that place. And then I saw you with another guy it just tore me apart. I couldn’t deal with it any longer so I left for Ohio.” Mary Anne didn’t know what to say. She had no clue this was the reason Nick had left all along.


“You left because of me? Why? You didn’t have to leave you know. I loved you Nick I did…you made me complete you know. But after you left I wasn’t whole anymore” she responded.


“I wish I knew that Mary Anne…I probably wouldn’t have left this place” he hugged Mary Anne.


“Yeah, but what’s over is over…its all in the past now” they all arrived at the carnival just a short time later. Nick saw a sign for a local band playing at the sea side pavilion and he had just enough cash to get them in. He saw the perfect opportunity.


“Wanna do our ritual? You know go see a local band than laugh at them afterwards? I have just enough cash to get us in. So what do ya say?” Nick raised an eyebrow and Mary Anne just smiled.


“Yeah…lets do it…just like old times” the gang all went down to the sea side pavilion. They were all excited to be back together once again. The band started to play and the crowd cheered.Nick and Mary Anne started to dance with one another. The more Nick danced with Mary Anne the more he didn’t want to leave Miami. Just when their friendship started to rekindle itself he has to leave. Nick leaned in closely to Mary Anne.


“I love you” he whispered but all Mary Anne could do was giggle a little bit,” That was stupid wasn’t it?” Nick laughed Mary Anne nodded her head,” I remembered I did that once before huh?”


“Yes Nick you sure did…it sucks this has to end though” she sighed.


“Don’t worry I’ll be back though…I promise this time what we have here is just something quite special and I know that I never want to lose contact with you ever again. You mean too much to me” Nick kissed the top of her forehead.


“Me neither Nick…I am going to miss you”


“I will miss you more” this was going to be the hardest thing Nickhas ever had to do.


======================


In the morning Nick and Mary Anne met outside the airport for their final good-byes.


“You have my number now…don’t hesitate to call me I don’t care what time it is you hear me?” he said hugging Mary Anne.


“Yes I hear you Nick”


“And I wanted to give you this. I know you always hate when I give you things but this one is special “ Nick pulled out a long black box and opened it up to a sparkling diamond necklace.


“Nick…”


“Don’t say anything…this is just my way of saying sorry.” Mary Anne gave Nick a kiss on the cheek and hugged him tightly.


“I’ll call you when I get into Cleveland”


“Okay” She gave him one last hug and he grabbed his bags and disappeared into the airport.


“One day we’ll be together once again Mary Anne…and I don’t see how you could ever be anything but mine…”