- Text Size +
A.N.: Hey y'all! Here's another one, 'cause y'all reviewed so quickly! Ashee, you get to see if you were right with your theory now. Lol. Enjoy! Disclaimer: Only own Hannah, fans, cops, & story idea. Kevin & rest of BSB own themselves, as does Kristin. Thank-you.

Hannah had eventually calmed herself down, and was able to break away from her favourite uncle a bit. She’d given him an apologetic smile, and he’d given her, a firm swat to her backside - which had hurt, despite the giggle that had escaped her.

She was now standing outside a store waiting for her uncles to come back out. She hadn’t felt like going inside the sports store, so she’d opted to stay put in the mall to wait for them. She was standing there, far enough from the entrance doors that she wouldn’t catch a chill, but could still see them and whoever came in them.

“What the…?” Hannah gasped softly, as she thought she’d seen someone she’d never expected to see again, walk through the doors. Her left hand now covered her mouth, as she watched in anxious silence for the person to turn around and show her their face.

She choked back a suppressed sob, when she was finally able to see the person’s face. And – not thinking at all – she very quickly ran for that person, wanting to be sure – and so that they couldn’t just suddenly disappear on her again like they had before.

The person who had entered the mall had very quickly spotted Hannah and had waited almost impatiently to be spotted by her. Once spotted – which was obvious by the look on Hannah’s face – the person stood waiting for her to come rushing over – which she did momentarily.

Hannah reached the one she’d been extremely shocked beyond belief to see, and stood staring up at them in disbelief. She went to speak, but instead her jaw just hung open, making her look like a fish out of water.

They stared at one another for what seemed to be an eternity, but was really only a few short minutes.

The Boys had come out of the sports store, and spotted the two over by the door. They smiled, as they’d known all along that the one Hannah was gaping at, was going to show up today.

“Hey Princess…”

“Daddy???” Hannah managed to squeak out, despite her state of shock. She received a nod and a smile in response to her question. “But….But….you’re….you’re s’pose to be dead!”

Kevin sighed, and shrugged slightly. “It’s a long story, Honey.”

“But – Just – Eee!” Hannah squealed, hugging him tightly. “I thought you were dead!”

Kevin shook his head. “No. Not really. Somebody else took my place.”

“But – how?” Hannah asked, confused. “I left you sittin’ there with the fans.”

“Yes, I know,” Kevin nodded. “But I sent you off, so we could do the switch. I knew you’d break the rules and leave the mall.”

Hannah gave him a sheepish smile. “I wanted a surfboard.”

Kevin nodded again. “I know that too. It’s back at home now.”

“But why would you hafta switch places with somebody?”

Kevin sighed. “Princess, it was the only way to protect you. I’d been getting threats, and I knew about the ones you’d gotten and tried to hide.”

“I – “

Kevin gave her a stern look. “You could’ve come to me with them, Hannah. It’s my job to take care of you, not the other way around.”

Hannah hung her head, feeling ashamed. Maybe if she’d gone to him like she’d wanted, none of this would’ve ever happened. She knew it was her fault. She just knew it.

Kevin gently placed a hand upon her shoulder, and gave it a gentle squeeze. “But I don’t blame you for being scared. I was scared too. I was terrified I was going to lose my Princess, and couldn’t bear the thought any longer – so I went to the cops. They cooked up a well thought out, well planned scheme and it worked out just fine, minus one mishap that did sadly occur.”

Hannah was too busy staring at her shoes, to notice the pained look in her father’s eyes at the mention of the mishap that had taken place while the plan was being carried out.

“You didn’t kill anybody,” Kevin told her firmly. “They just made you think you had, so they’d have an excuse to lock you up in a safe place.”

“But – those girls!”

Kevin chuckled. “Were very good actors. You never had a real gun – you’d been given a pellet gun, that wouldn’t pierce through any bullet proof vest – which all three had on.”

“Oh…”

“You sound disappointed that you didn’t kill them,” Kevin accused.

Hannah shook her head quickly. “No. I just thought....I’m just - confused.”

Kevin nodded. “Understandable.”

“But what about those crazy car people tryin’ to run me down?”

Kevin cleared his throat. “The green, blue, and purple cars?”

Hannah nodded in response.

“Princess, whose favourite colours are those?” Kevin said gently.

Hannah gasped. “Uncle Nick, Uncle Brian, an’ Uncle Howie tried to kill me?!?!?!?”

Kevin chuckled. “No. They were making sure you thought that, and that you really wouldn’t get run over. If you’d paid attention, they were actually swerving very carefully, so that they didn’t come anywhere near you.”

“Could’ve fooled me,” Hannah grumbled. “Where was Uncle A.J.?”

“Back here yelling about how stupid this plan was, and how you could end up accidentally getting hurt be

cause Nick’s not the world’s greatest driver.”

Hannah snickered. “No wonder the green car never came too close.”

“Exactly,” Kevin smiled. “I would’ve killed him otherwise.”`

Hannah thought of something then. “But – if they switched you with somebody else, how do I know it’s really you now, huh?”

Kevin eyed her a moment, then leaned down to whisper into her ear. “You never did get spanked that day, Princess.”

Hannah froze, her eyes wide. Only her and her Daddy knew he’d promised her a spanking for when they got home – though, her Momma had probably known too. “For….?”

“Your attitude and lying that morning,” Kevin finished.

Hannah choked back a sob. “Daddy….”

Kevin pulled her into a tight hug then, as she began to sob uncontrollably – her emotions having had completely caught up with her – like they had upon seeing her uncles earlier. After a short while, she was able to speak again.

“What about Momma? Did they lie about her too? She didn’t really run off, did she?” Hannah rambled. “Did I get a brother or a sister? Or both? Both would be great!”

Now, it was Kevin’s turn to choke back a sob. “A brother…” He managed to answer, just barely.

“Really? When do I get to meet him?” Hannah asked, looking up at her father – her eyes brimmed with tears and excitement. “Daddy?” She eyed him, a little worried upon seeing the look he wore on his handsome face.

Kevin looked down at her face, and swallowed hard. “You don’t,” he said softly.

“But – why not?” Hannah asked, utterly confused. “You said I had a brother.”

Kevin nodded. “You did.”

“But – what happened?”

“There was a mishap during the plan,” Kevin replied painfully. “Your Momma….she came looking for you…. She was at the wrong place at the wrong time…”

“You mean….?” Hannah trailed off, slowly realizing what he meant.

Kevin nodded silently. “She was worried you’d gotten lost or been hurt. She’d a bad feeling, and come looking.”

“But why didn’t she know the plan?”

Kevin shook his head. “She couldn’t know, Princess. Her part was to try and get you out of jail, like any good mother would try to do, when they knew for sure their baby was innocent. She could’ve succeeded, and she might not have. But, the plan went wrong when she came looking. She stepped in front of somebody when she shouldn’t have, and she got hit.”

“So it’s your fault!?!?!?!”

“No. It’s nobody’s fault. It was an accident. A horrible one, but an accident still,” Kevin stated, looking into Hannah’s eyes. “If I’d known either of you, or the baby would have gotten hurt, I wouldn’t have gone through with the plan.”

“So Momma didn’t run off ‘cause she hated me?” Hannah asked quietly.

“Of course not!” Kevin exclaimed, hugging his daughter close and rubbing her back. “Princess, your mother loved you very much! I had to swear to her endlessly that you were safe and would be fine.”

“Then how do you know I’d a brother?”

“I asked,” Kevin answered. “I had sources that would tell me, and others to keep an eye on you.”

“How come we’re together now?”

“Because they finally caught the Bastards,” Kevin said bitterly.

Hannah looked up shocked at her father’s choice of words.

“I’m sorry, but it’s true,” Kevin apologized. “You know I don’t say stuff like that unless it’s the truth.”

Hannah smiled slowly.

“Uh-oh. I remember that look,” Kevin chuckled.

“C’n we shop?”

“Phew! An easy question!” Kevin exclaimed playfully. “Sure, Princess. We can shop until your heart’s content.”

Hannah grinned and very quickly latched onto him tightly. She was not letting him go ever again!