- Text Size +
It wasn’t long until the taxi pulled in front of the hotel lobby doors. The sun was just beginning to rise over the towering skyscrapers. Brian squinted as he stepped out of the vehicle. He had shut the door and started walking away by the time the cab driver, not too politely, reminded him that he still hadn’t paid. Brian pulled out his wallet, silently cursing at himself for forgetting, and handed the money to him. The driver counted the cash then squealed his tires as he took off down the road. Brian slipped him the finger then casually entered the lobby.

Digging in his pocket for his room key, he gave a warm smile to the woman behind the desk. She seductively brushed her long blonde hair out of her face and smiled back as he briskly walked past her on his way to the elevator. As he found his key, he pressed the button to bring the elevator to him. Beginning to grow impatient, and with visions of the gun filling his mind, he shifted his weight from foot to foot as he waited. Finally, the smooth, steel door split and a small compartment was revealed containing two women and a man. Brian had to wait a few moments for them to step out, and he took that time to survey them over. The man seemed to be at the end of his road. He could barely even make it out of the elevator before the doors began to close again. The woman with him, who seemed young enough to be his granddaughter, was flirting and hanging on him. No wonder the man couldn’t walk. Must be a millionaire. The other woman, who reminded him of his Aunt Penelope, was scowling at the couple as if she could make them drop dead with a single stare. Brian gave them a shaky smile and a polite nod as they passed, but none of them seemed to take notice of him. Glad to be rid of them, he stepped onto the elevator and pressed the button to take him to the third floor.

He sighed as the doors slid shut and he felt a pull as the elevator began to move. His task was almost complete. He was almost there. No more pain. No more worries. No more regret. No one would have to worry about him anymore. They wouldn’t have to watch over him anymore. This was for the better.

In a matter of seconds, the elevator dinged and he found himself looking out at the third floor. Taking a deep breath, he stepped out into the hallway and practically ran towards his room. It was right at the end of the hall. Far enough away that it would take a while for anyone to find him. Tucked into the corner just enough that he would be alone for a long time after his death. Alone. Just like he was now.

He breathing was short and ragged as he reached the end of the hall. His hands were shaking and he almost couldn’t get the key in the slot. After missing it a couple of times, the card slid in and the green light blinked. Brian turned the handle and stepped in, ready to end his life.

The gun was there, plain as day. Right where he had left it. He had thought about this moment countless times, but now it was finally becoming a reality. No more procrastinating. He was going to finish the job.

The weapon sparkled in the soft light entering the window. Brian wondered if the Guys would miss him. Lately, it didn’t seem as though they would. If they were true friends, they would have picked up on the signals. But had they? Not even close. Leighanne, his soul mate, hadn’t even seen this day coming. Tears began to slide down his cheeks. No one cared. Not a single person in this world. This was the right thing, the only thing, he could do. ‘Forget about them,’ he told himself in his mind, ‘they don’t even know you exist anymore.’

Deciding to write one more journal entry, Brian pulled out his notebook and sat down on the bed. Swallowing the lump that had begun to form in his throat, he started to write one last time…

Dear Journal,

So, this is goodbye. I can’t believe I’m actually doing this. I knew the day was approaching, but I just never thought so soon. But, I guess that’s what happens when your life reaches the end of its road. No matter what age you are.

I guess I’m doing this because of the feelings I have towards myself. I don’t really blame the others for pushing me to do this. It is my decision, after all. I just kind of wish they would have noticed and tried to get me some help. Oh well. Guess that’s just too much to ask.

I’m going to miss them all very much, but this is something I have to do. They don’t even know I’m alive anymore, so why don’t I just make myself dead so they don’t have to worry. Maybe they’re all right; maybe I am dead to the world. I hate how everything makes me feel. I feel like I have no way out. I’m drowning. There is no one there to save me. I’m scared, and yet I’ve never been so sure of what I am doing. No one seems to understand what I’m going through. Not even AJ, who has come pretty close. At least he had the willpower to confront us about it. I can’t even do that. I figure, if they can’t see it, it’s not even worth it.

It used to be all for one and one for all… but those days are over. I love them all with everything I am, but it’s time to say goodbye.


Shutting the journal, Brian picked up the gun and turned off the safety. He placed the barrel of the gun gently onto his temple. The cold metal made him shiver a little as he cocked the firearm. He closed his eyes tightly and wrapped his finger around the trigger.

He counted down in his head:

5…
4…
3…


He tightened his finger around the trigger, ready to pull…

2…
1…