- Text Size +
A moment’s hesitation can change someone’s whole life. Just one second can turn a person’s world around…

Brian sat on his bed with the pistol held to his temple, his finger held tightly around the trigger. He had never expected to hesitate. He never wanted to freeze. But here he was, unable to finish what he started.

Anything can cause a one second hesitation. A phone ringing, perhaps. Possibly a shout. Or even and knock on a door…

It couldn’t have been more than a second. Just one little second ticked by that Brian didn’t pull the trigger before he heard a sharp knock on the door. At first he thought about firing his bullet before the door opened. Then he decided to hold back a little while longer.

A person can feel in control their whole life. But then, at any given moment, a person can seem vulnerable to the path of destiny…

Brian argued with himself about whether to open the door or leave it locked. Absentmindedly, his eyes wandered over to the mirror hanging on the wall. He couldn’t believe how different he looked. The color was drained from his face. The blue in his eyes had transformed into gray. His hair was darker and longer than normal and it hung limply over his forehead and ears. He noticed the gun still resting on his temple. It almost seemed to shine in the dim light that hung overhead. His mind quickly snapped out of its trance as the knocking returned.

Everything may change in an instant. A person may have to choose between life or death…

He couldn’t ignore it any longer. Who could possibly be at the door? He began to make a list in his mind…

None of the staff or management knew that he was gone, so it couldn’t be one of them. It probably wasn’t Kevin. Family is important, but the things he has on his mind right now seem to outweigh even that. Howie’s too involved in Kevin’s life to even notice a brick thrown at him (unless Kevin threw it himself). Nick had changed too much, grown up too fast. He seemed to care less about Brian these days. Now, AJ was difficult. He seemed more interested in his own life at times, but still took time out to help his “brothers”. Could it be him?

It is said that when life closes a door, God opens a window. At times that may be true, but sometimes that window needs a human touch…

The cold steel of the gun’s barrel became suddenly evident on Brian’s skin. Shaking, his finger loosened its grip on the trigger. Another quick knock caused him to lose his hold on the weapon itself. He watched it as it fell to the floor. He heard yelling from the hallway, but he just couldn’t seem to tear himself away from the object on the floor. It was now or never…

A person can be driven insane with the choices he has to make. Only one way to go. The question is, which path will that person choose?