- Text Size +
Brian stared at the gun on the floor. All time stood still as he contemplated his decision. Should he finish it? Whoever was at the door seemed really anxious to come in, but he didn’t care. All that mattered to him now was the weapon on the floor.

He reached down to pick it up. He knew that if he didn’t do it now it would never be done, and he would regret it. At least he thought he would. Shaking the doubt away, he continued the motion to reach the gun. Suddenly, his hand stopped. It trembled in mid-air. Brian screamed in his head to move his hand further down, but it would not budge. He wondered if this meant something…

Looking death in the eye can change a man. It can make him realize that he doesn’t want to leave the world, or that it is the best thing for him…

His mind fixated on one thing. To pick up that gun. He didn’t care what he had to do, he was going to face his fear of dying and approach the heavenly gates. No matter what. He tried moving his other hand, but it was frozen on the bed. Why had his body failed him at this most crucial moment? He didn’t understand it.

Taking a deep breath, he pulled back his trembling hand and placed it next to him on the bed. Now both hands were frozen in place. What now?

Sometimes the world finds strange ways to let you know your time is not done. Sometimes the earth needs you for one more thing…

Without anymore hesitation, Brian reached out his foot and kicked the gun under the dresser. It would just have to wait. He turned towards the door. That was his priority now.

He stood up and suddenly was very aware of how clouded his mind was. What was wrong with him? Taking hold of the bedpost, Brian attempted to steady himself. When he thought that his legs were strong enough to walk, he slowly shuffled towards the door and the person on the other side.

Upon reaching the door, he hesitated. Twice in one day, just great. He didn’t want to look to see who it was. He just wanted to open the door and take in the sight. Who knew? Maybe the person left already. Highly doubtful, but still. It was a possibility.

Taking another deep breath, Brian reached out and touched the knob. This was it. He firmly grasped the door handle and turned. The door slowly cracked open. He half expected the individual on the other hand to shove the door open. But nothing happened. Odd.

Brian opened the door all the way. Brian didn’t jump at the sight of the other person. He didn’t scream out. He didn’t do anything but invite him in.

Brian faintly heard the man ask if he was okay. He shook his head. It didn’t matter anymore. He had to tell someone. Now. Maybe he would find a reason to stay alive if he confessed.

Brian looked at the man on the bed. His clothes matched his personality, but his expression didn’t. He looked worried, concern filling up his brown eyes. Brian gave him a shaky smile and sat next to him. He sighed as the man put his arm around Brian’s shoulders. Brian saw the man nod and give him the go ahead to pour out what was on his mind.

For a split second, Brian changed his mind. What if he didn’t understand? Who was he kidding, Brian couldn’t tell him. He would just laugh. Shake it off and tell him to forget it. But then again, what if he could trust him? He was his friend.

A person can be driven insane with the choices he has to make…

Brian turned to look into the man’s eyes. “AJ…” he began softly, “I have something to tell you.”