- Text Size +
Kevin could hardly contain his excitement as he burst down the hallway of the hospital, angling himself toward Stephanie's private room. While visiting AJ, he had gotten a phone call from Anya, stating that Stephanie's fever had significantly lowered over the past few hours. Fumbling for an excuse with AJ, he raced toward the woman he was falling in love with, anxious to see if it were true. And, he could hardly catch himself as he hit the wall while the doctor was coming out of her room, practically knocking him to the ground. But, he made no room for apologies as he scrambled inside, falling to his knees at her bedside. "Is it true? I mean... Anya called and said... And I had to stop by and... Did it really break? Are you okay?"

"It really broke. I'm going to be just fine," Stephanie laughed softly, running her hand through his slightly damp locks from running.

"What is it right now?" he breathed heavily.

"One hundred and dropping."

"So you'll be home soon?" he laughed with relief, reaching to hold her face delicately within his hands, amazed at how cool she actually felt.

"Yes, I'll be home soon. I've just got to get my strength back," she smiled, placing her hands on top of his.

"That's amazing..."

"Doctor Grey is baffled... but I'm just thankful it hapened."

"I knew you would be okay..."

"I know and thank you," Stephanie laughed, reaching to grasp his hand to pull him up. Without his strength, Stephanie feared that she would have died much earlier than that day. It was his strength and Anya's burst of defiance that caused her fever to break. Not the antibiotics. Or, at least that's what Stephanie believed. Now she was given another lease on life, able to accomplish everything she wanted and perhaps more.

"Anya will be so happy."

"Yeah, to get rid of you."

"She doesn't like me too much, does she?"

"When she visited me earlier... she said you were me with a penis."

Kevin blanked with a slightly horrified glance. "What?"

"She said you were me with a penis... A far more terrifying and annoying me with a penis... Guess the penis gives you that extra surge of testosterone to really pull her into shape."

"I don't know if I should be afraid or what..."

"I think she's the one that's afraid."

"Of what?"

"Everything. She still won't accept what happened."

"I could have told you that..." Kevin sighed, remembering the distress AJ was in because of Anya bolting out of her visitation.

"I just don't know what to do. She was close to talking to me, but she kept changing the subject."

"The only thing she told me was that AJ said he loved her..."Stephanie allowed Kevin's voice to trail off with his confession, watching him closely with disbelief. AJ had never seemed like the type of man who would openly admit love for one woman. Sure, he had talked to Anya at first during the robbery, but nothing else had come of it. Or at least that's what Stephanie assumed. Besides, she didn't want her little sister getting mixed up in that type of mess. Not after the brutal rapes. She didn't need a man hovering of her. At least, not a man like AJ.

"Stephanie?" Kevin murmured.

"Hmm?" Stephanie mumbled, pulling away from her personal thoughts."Are you okay?"

"Yeah... Just thinking..."

"About what?"

"Everything... when you have a fever, your thoughts are clouded over. Now they're clear."

"Like what?"

"Anya and AJ... the other guys... what happened at the store before I passed out... you and me."

"What about you and me?"

"Where do we stand?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean... I like you and you like me... but are we going to stay together?"

"Why wouldn't we stay together?"

"You have a life in Florida, Kevin."

Kevin exhaled softly as he nodded with understanding. "And you have a life here..."

"This isn't fair. I finally meet a man I could spend the rest of my life with and he lives a thousand miles away," Stephanie muttered, picking up the notebook that laid on her nightstand and throwing it at the wall.

"Now wait a minute--"

"I can't make you move here... and I can't move down there."

"Stephanie--"

"It's hopeless."

"It is not."

"I can't do a long distance relationship. It would be hard enough even if I lived in Florida while you were on tour."

"Then you really don't want this relationship."

"How can we make it work?"

"By thinking positively instead of negatively... I mean, honestly, what is tying you down to this little town? Why couldn't you move to Florida where there's more opportunities?"

"I can't leave Anya here alone..."

"Why couldn't she move to Florida once she's done with college? She only has a semester left and then she needs to get into medical school. There's plenty of them where I live."

"She hasn't applied to any medical schools in Florida--
"

"But once she leaves for medical school, she won't be here, will she? Anya will be the one leaving you alone."

"Kevin--"

"You'd love it in Florida!"

"I can't abandon my little sister; I've always planned to move to whichever medical school she's accepted into. That way I can help her with rent and whatnot while she's working in her residency..."

"You won't even consider it?"

"I can't..."

Kevin meekly nodded as he dropped his gaze, slumping in the chair beside Stephanie's bed. He felt a heavy pressure accumulating on his shoulders as Stephanie tried to offer him a hand. But he jerked away as a wave of tears started to overpower him. He hadn't cried in ages. Not since his father died some time ago. He hadn't even expected to shed a tear over this trauma, but Howie was right. He was holding everything in and the thought of losing Stephanie in this world was harder than he had anticipated.

Stephanie frowned deeply as he refused her touch. "Kevin, please... I didn't mean to hurt you. But you have to understand, Anya has been my only family for so long and I have to go where she goes--"

"I need you more," he stiffly replied, fighting on the sob growing in his throat. "I can't stand to lose you twice."

"Lose me twice? What are you talking about?"

"You almost died," he choked.

"I know, but I'm here now. It doesn't mean we can't be friends--"

"I want to be more than friends, damnit!"

"Kevin--"

"I'm falling in love with you," he sobbed painfully, bowing his wet face into his hands.

"Wh-what?" she stammered in surprise, watching his whole body shake as he cried. "Kevin... oh, please, don't cry."

"I need you--"

"Kevin..." Stephanie whispered as he reaching to bury his face against her shoulder. She felt him tremble within her hold; a broken man. "Oh, Kevin..."

"Please, don't make me leave you. Please."

~*~*~*~*~

AJ exhaled a painful breath as he reached to steady himself against Howie, trying to slow down his friend's pace. After several days in the hospital, the doctor had finally allowed him some mild exercise. So, Howie suggested they take a trip around the hallways. It had started out easy, but his body was stiff from the constant rest and the throbbing of his head never seemed to disappear. It was typical of severe head injuries, but AJ just wanted it to go away. But it wouldn't and the only thing he didn't want to disappear had vanished without a trace."You okay?" Howie murmured, knowing to keep his voice soft as he spoke with AJ, who practically cringed when a voice was even at normal strength.

"Slow down."

"Sorry..."

"Not your fault. It's my damn head, it won't stop hurting," AJ replied as he shuffled his feet over the cool linolium floor.

"Are you taking the pain medicine?"

"Yes, but it can't take all the pain away."

"I suppose so," Howie answered, allowing AJ to set the pace again. "...But, is there something else?"

"What do you mean?"

"You may have a head injury, but you're still horrible at lying."

"D--"

"Besides, I've been your best friend and older brother for how many years? I can read you like my favorite book. My very favorite book. So, talk to me."

"It's Anya..."

"What about her?"

"She hasn't visited me in the past three days. I think I scared her away... I lost her because I did what you guys always told me to do. Speak to her with my heart, mind and soul."

"What'd you say to her?"

"That I loved her and wanted to be with her."

"The infamous AJ strikes again," Howie chuckled.

"What'd I do?" AJ scowled.

"Nothing wrong," Howie promised. "You're just so passionate... And, you think that everyone should share your passion..."

"Well, she doesn't share my passion, that's for sure--"

"Now, hold on. Don't condemn the poor girl yet. She's scared out of her wits. She won't face the rapes, so what makes you think she could face her emotions about loving you, too?"

"But I thought if I told her how I felt--"

"That scared her even more, J. You have to be more understanding about this. You've got to give her more time."

"I am understanding--"

"Then don't assume she doesn't share your passion."

"Well, she sure doesn't act like it, that's for damn sure."

"Would you be able to act like it if you were raped?"

"I..." AJ shrugged his shoulders.

"If you really love her, you'll be patient."

"You think I don't?"

"I don't know, do you?"

"More than anything--"

"Then you can be patient."

"But you're talking about me, D," AJ whined.

"I think for love, you can be patient," Howie chuckled.

"I've been a patient for more than a week--"

"Not that kind of patient, so stop being a goofball," Howie chided lightly, reminding of AJ of his last visit with Anya, playing with the baseball cap.

"Well, I have been a patient--"

"If you rush me any faster, Anya, I'm going to be lying on the floor. So, slow down," Stephanie's voice interrupted the conversation as the two men turned a corner. And, sure enough, there Anya was, attempting to hurry her sister down the hallway. AJ couldn't deny how adorable she looked in her faded blue jeans, baggy gray t-shirt, and dark blonde locks tied into two low ponytails.

"I just want to get you home, that's all. You need to rest," Anya replied softly, somewhat slowing down her pace.

"I've got plenty of time to rest, trust me," Stephanie sighed, reaching to grasp Kevin's hand as he gathered her small bag of things into the opposite hand."But--"

"Anya!" AJ called, though he immediately cringed with pain as the noise echoed in his head.

Anya glanced up as her voice echoed across the hallways, but her smile seemed to shatter when she realized it was AJ. She dropped her hold on Stephanie, wrapping her arms protectively around herself as her stomach curled into tight knots. Since bursting out of his room three days ago, she couldn't stop thinking about him. He made her happy and sad in the same instant; even just thinking about him. But, she was ashamed of herself and how she acted, making it awkward as Kevin smiled and waved brightly to his friends, practically pushing Anya forward.

"Anya. I was worried about you since you left my room," AJ replied as he walked closer to her, thankful that it wasn't a dream. He just wish she looked happier to see him...

"I'm f-fine," she stammered meekly, waving her hand slightly as if that would emphasize the truthfulness of her statement.

"You don't sound fine..." AJ answered as Howie stood behind him, making sure he was okay as he walked alone. AJ couldn't help but frown as he studied Anya, wishing she would smile just once.

"...Is it me?"

"No," Anya quickly replied, far too quickly in her own mind. She mustered some kind of pained smile as she shrugged. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay. I wish you would tell me how you're really feeling--"

"ANI! We've got to go," Stephanie barked slightly, frowning as she watched AJ walk closer to her little sister.

Anya glanced back toward her sister in obvious confusion, but read the firm displeasure in Stephanie's eyes. She wore a marked frown as she turned back to Howie and AJ. "I've got to get Phi home..."

"Will you please come and visit me? The doctor said I can't go home until this tube comes out... and it gets lonely."

"Ani! Now!" Stephanie insisted with a sharp tone that caused AJ to cringe."She doesn't feel too well; she just wants to get home," Anya fumbled to explain, tempting fate as she reached to brush a hand against the side of his face.

"Please visit me," AJ whispered as he placed his hand against hers for a moment.

"I--"

"Ani, I'm not telling you again!"

"Good-bye," Anya pulled away and jogged towards her older sister.

"She's not going to visit me, is she?" AJ murmured with dejection.

"I can't say yes or no. It's all up to her."

"Her sister hates me..."

"She just knows the old you... parties, women, drugs--"

"But I'm not like that!"

"J, I know. But she doesn't."

~*~*~*~*~

"You need to talk to her, now, Kevin," Howie hissed as he and Kevin lingered in the hallway of the sisters' home, listening to Stephanie actually tuck Anya into bed. It was slightly unsettling at how protective Stephanie was acting as she ordered Anya to stay in bed, but Howie understood for the most part. She wanted to make sure that Anya was safe at all times; what she wasn't able to do at the convience store. But, he wasn't okay with her behavior in the hospital earlier that day. "What she did to AJ was absolutely outrageous. He was like a wounded animal the rest of the day. He just wants Anya to visit him again, so he can at least be her friend. And, Stephanie acts like his a convicted murderer or something and I can't stand for that--"

"And you think I liked seeing that? I can talk to her until I turn blue, but it's not up to me and you know that. We know who AJ truly is but Stephanie's opinion has been tainted by what the media has shown. She just wants to protect her sister--"

"But she's getting out of hand. Anya is an adult! She can make her own decisions."

"I know--"

"Then do something about it. She can't deny Anya friends, it's not her life."

"AJ wants to be more than a friend, Howie--"

"I know that, Kevin. He loves her and it kills me that Stephanie is standing in the way."

"Technically... Stephanie should have a say in who Anya dates..."

"And, what about AJ is wrong for Anya?"

"In our eyes, nothing. But like I said... all she sees is the parties, drugs, alcohol, random women--"

"Then make her see different before you end up hurting AJ more than you can ever fix," Howie demanded sharply as Stephanie moved into her bedroom.

"I'm not a miracle man! I'm trying," Kevin snapped lightly.

"Trying doesn't mean sitting back and letting it happen," Howie fumed quietly, storming back down the stairs.

"Damnit," Kevin groaned, fighting the urge to ram his head into the wall as he walked to Stephanie's room.

"Ani's in bed for the night," Stephanie announced as she eased a t-shirt over her achy body, glancing up with a proud smile when Kevin entered. She was thrilled to be home again, feeling the soft comfort of her large bed. Actually, she was also thankful to be home again, knowing Anya was safe and sound a few feet away. It gave her comfort, soothing her pain more than the medicine did.

"She's twenty-one... Don't you think she's capable of putting herself to sleep when she wants to?" Kevin asked carefully, leaning against the side of the wall to watch Stephanie closeley. He didn't want to attack with his guns blazing, knowing that Anya would probably be sneaking out of the house tonight anyway, like she normally did, returning as everyone was getting up.

"What did you say?" Stephanie played dumb as she slipped on a loose pair of baggy track pants.

"When was the last time you tucked your sister into bed? When she was six?"

"She needs her rest."

"Stephanie..."

"I'm not letting her go out and get hurt, Kevin."

"Go out where?"

"Anywhere! Do you know what could happen? She could raped again, or get into a car accident, or get mugged, or--"

"Go see AJ?"

"She is not allowed to see him," Stephanie growled, leaning down to fold back the covers."You don't even know him. You're just going by what the damn media reported--"

"And what I've seen! He may have gone to rehab, but that doesn't change who he is!" Stephanie hissed as Kevin shut the door to shield away their conversation. He looked none too pleased with her, but she continued nonetheless. "He's a womanizer. He doesn't care about Ani, but what she can offer him. And, once he gets what he wants, he's going to dump her and scurry back to some random woman in Florida. And, I won't have Ani hurt again! No way in Hell! Do you hear me? He's not getting within one foot of her!"

"She likes him, too, Stephanie," Kevin murmured. "And you can't stop what's growing between them."

"Oh I can and I will! I refuse to let my sister get hurt again by another man! I fucking refuse, do you hear me?!"

"I hear you, but it's hypocritical."

"How am I being hypocritical?"

"You won't let your little sister be the independant woman you claim her to be. And, if you keep suffocating her like this, then she's going to resent you. She cares about AJ. You can see it in her eyes. Don't deny her that because you're too judgemental to see what we see when we look at AJ - A great man."

"I have to take care of her, I promised--"

"Taking care of her and controlling her are two very different things."

"I am not controlling her!"

"Stephanie, you just tucked her into bed."

"She wanted me to!"

"She said 'Phi, tuck me into bed even though it's nine o'clock at night'?"

"She was tired."

"Stephanie."

"You're not going to make me out to be the bad guy. No fucking way--"

"I don't have to; you're doing just fine by yourself."