- Text Size +
Anya wringed her hands nervously as she crept down the quiet hallway of AJ's hospital quarters. It was already eleven in the evening and extremely dark, nurses making their routine stops to check in on patients. She knew that visiting hours were up, but had sweet talked AJ's nurse into letting her anyway. It seemed her sweet disposition combined with AJ's nonstop chatter about her had gave Anya easy access. She must have been a sight in her starry printed boxer shorts and tight blue camisole with raggedy sneaks adorning her feet. The hardest part had been climbing out of her bedroom window again without anyone noticing, since Howie had been dozing in the living room. She had figured Kevin and Stephanie wouldn't be a problem, because they had been arguing loudly about her and AJ. That was what fueled her to leave in the first place - Stephanie's pure disdain over aAJ. It infuriated the younger sister, making her yearn to apologize for her behavior earlier that day. Only, the words seemed to leave her when she slipped inside the dark room, hesitating. "AJ... Are you asleep?"

"Anya? Is that you?" AJ called out softly, shifting in his bed and turning on the lamp that was set dim for his eyes. "I didn't think you would ever come to see me--"

"Your nurse thinks I'm pretty cute," Anya interupted somewhat awkwardly, stepping inside the room and closing the door softly so they wouldn't be disturbed. She then started to play with her long pigtail curls as she inched her way forward. She didn't know exactly what she was doing in his room, but the desire had been so strong to see him. She had to follow it. "Said I was absolutely perfect for you... Might even make a nice teddy bear so you can get to sleep..."

"You are definitely the perfect teddy bear," AJ admitted with a soft smile. She looked adorable playing with her pigtails, and he found himself falling in love with her even more.

"She said you haven't been sleeping much, either..."

"It's just hard to sleep in this room all alone... and my head is always hurting..."

"Good, at least it wasn't about me," Anya blurted without thought, stopping at the end of the bed when she realized what she said. Immediately, she flushed crimson. "I am so sorry. I didn't mean--"

"I know what you mean, Anya. You don't need to apologize," AJ interrupted, lifting a hand to silence her words.

"But--"

"Come and sit down next to me."

"Okay..." she trailed softly, doing as she was told while AJ shifted over in his hospital bed to make room for her. She eased herself beside him, hesitating slightly when she felt something stiff beneath her. Reaching, she retrieved her faded hat, arching her light brows to AJ with question as she handed it to him. "You're trying to sleep with my hat?"

"No. But it keeps me calm when the pain gets bad," AJ admitted, taking the hat into his hands and gently running his finger along the torn brim. "I just think about you."

"You think about me?"

"All the time."

Anya released a heavy breath as she kicked off her shoes, drawing her knees to her chest. Clasping her hands around her knees, she glanced over toward AJ. "What do you think about when you think about me?"

"Everything. Your smile. How your hair shines even when there's no sunshine. The way your laugh makes my heart flutter. How I can easily drown in your beautiful eyes..." AJ trailed off. It was now or never. Their true feelings had to come out for each other. "You're perfect in every way to me and I love everything about you."

"No guy has ever been that smooth with me, even when they just wanted to get laid," Anya confessed with a soft laugh, resting her chin on her knees.

"I'm just telling you how I feel. And it's all true--"

"Phi doesn't want me to have anything to do with you," Anya blurted over AJ's deep confessions of love. She didn't know why she wouldn't allow him to say everything that was obviously bottled, but it scared her terribly. Especially considering how hard she was trying to block everything out. If she gave into AJ, then the memories would flow.

"I figured as much this afternoon," AJ frowned softly. Saying that Stephanie didn't want her to having anything to do with him was an understatement.

"I'm sorry about how I acted earlier, too... I should have at least walked you back to your room... Instead of playing the obediant little puppy to my big sister... I really did want to see you..."

"You did?"

"If I didn't, I wouldn't be here right now, would I?"

"Right..." AJ trailed, reaching to push the hat back onto her head like he had done so many days ago. "But why now? Why not wait?"

"Because Phi and Kevin were arguing about me and you... And I just got so frustrated... I kind of snuck out my bedroom window, climbed down that ladder jobby with growing vines, grabbed the sneakers I always stow in my secret hiding place, and left..."

"You snuck out to see me? Knowing the wrath your sister could give you if she catches you?"

"She always gives me Hell," Anya answered with a shrug of her shoulders, acting as if it weren't a big deal, though they both knew otherwise.

"Yeah, she does," AJ sighed heavily as he took her hand into his. "Anya... I want to be with you. I don't care what your sister thinks of me, but I'm not a bad man."

"I know you're not a bad man--"

"Then lets be together."

"AJ, it's not that easy--"

"Why isn't it? You like me and I love you--"

"That scares me."

"You don't have to be afraid--"

"That's easier said than done, AJ."

"I can help you."

"How?"

"You're afraid of love because of what happened at the store... talk to me about it."

Anya instantly stiffened at the mere implication of the rapes. She pulled the hat off her head, tossing it to AJ's lap as she attempted to roll off the bed. "No way in Hell--"

"You have to if you ever want to feel whole again," AJ interrupted, grasping her hips to stop her from leaving. "You can't run away from the painful memories. They're always going to be there."

Anya attempted to buck his hands off her, but he was far stronger than she anticipated. With a swift pull, she was laying on the bed and AJ was over top of her. She flinched when she thought about how the men had pulled her arms tightly above her head and practically ripped her legs apart, but AJ was different. In that moment of uncertainty, he entertwined both of their hands, leaning down to offer a gentle kiss. It was warm and soothing, beckoning her heart to his as her lips parted slightly, allowing him to kiss her bottom lip and then upper lip.

"...AJ..."

"Anya, I love you. More than my life and with all my heart. And I want to help stop the pain you're going through," AJ kissed her again, softly carressing her tongue with his.

"You're..." Anya couldn't even find the words to express herself as she tenderly moved her arms around his neck, carefully bringing him closer. She knew that his head was still tender, so she switched him places so he could lay amongst the pillows.

"I'm serious and I mean it all."

"You're also a very good kisser," Anya complimented, attempting to rub the cherry blush away from her cheeks as she seated herself on the side of his bed again, making sure he was situated. He shouldn't have been over-exerting himself like that, adding pressure to his tender head.

"So are you," AJ cupped her warm cheek and smiled softly. "But I do want to help you, Anya."

"I don't know what I'm supposed to tell you," Anya murmured, moistening her bottom lip with obvious apprehension, shifting her gaze away from his.

"Start anywhere. Tell me anything you want..."

"I think I was happier kissing you..."

"I know, but you have to do this."

"Why?"

"Because if you don't, you will have a mental breakdown. Just like everyone has been telling you--"

"I'm not going to have a mental breakdown."

"How do you know?"

"Because I float above everything. I just detach from it. Like... My spirit just hovers above my body as each day ends... Y'know? So I can't get hurt... I'm numb..." Anya fumbled to explain, though she was condemning her point of the argument more than AJ's.

"You want to be numb for the rest of your life? Just floating around, never feeling? How would you ever feel love for me or my love for you if you're numb?"

"I'm okay being numb. It's better that way--"

"No, it's not."

"I'm okay with being numb," she attempted to repeat for emphasis.

"I'm not okay with you being numb. None of us are okay with it."

"So, what? Do you want to hear all the gorey details, then? Like it's some perverse joke... How they threw me down on the counter, one holding my arms above my head, another spreading my legs apart, and the other positioned inside me. Ripping off my clothes and laughing harder when I started screaming? Or how about when the first one took my virginity and I spurted blood, which he actually played with and smeared on my face? Then they switched and did it again! Laughing when I cried because it hurt so bad! Is that what you want to hear?" Anya hissed, becoming immediately defensive to her situation like a dangerous volcano about to erupt.

"I just wanted to hear you actually admit it happened--"

"Fine! It fucking happened! Do you want to know more, AJ? Huh? Or are you satisfied with what I told you?"

AJ tried to reach out to her in attempts to bring her close, not realizing that he had uncapped a deadly explosion of emotions. "No--"

"Then how about when they were all done and threw some dollar bills on my sticky body. I tried to get off the table and they grabbed me again. They were done with that hole and wanted another! Flipped me over and just started raping me all over again! Then they flipped me back because they decided they didn't have enough of my taste yet! Or when they made me taste them. I have never been called a whore in my life! But they used that word like it was my God given name and I started to believe it--"

"Hold on a damn minute!" AJ quickly brought her into his arms before she could fight him. "You are not a whore. Do you hear me? Those three assholes took something from you they shouldn't have and they paid for it. They're buried six feet under and will never hurt anyone again. They were in the wrong, not you!"

Anya felt blinding hot tears start to pour down her face as she slammed her fists repeatedly into AJ's chest. She was so angry with what happened to her. Furious that the men had taken something so special from her. Annoyed that her sister was attempting to take away her control just like the men had. Scared that she would never be able to make love with another man without thinking about that horrible day. And, like a true man, AJ took her abuse silently as it died into limp pushes before she finally wrapped her arms around him and sobbed hard against his chest. "I was raped... I was raped... I was raped..."

"You were raped, but that doesn't mean you can't live your life. You don't have to be afraid," AJ rubbed her back as his hospital gown was soaked with her tears, but he didn't stop her.

"I don't know how without thinking about what they did," she heaved, practically clinging to him for any means of support. The sobs wracked her petite body, causing her to tremble severely in AJ's arms. But they just kept rolling from deep inside her wounded soul, unable to be stopped.

"With therapy, you can. And I'll be there for you every step of the way. Anya, you're a strong woman; I know you can do it."

"I d-don't feel strong--"

"You are strong."

"I just want to be h-happy again."

"And I want you to be happy, again. You can be happy. But you have to let yourself."

"With you," she mumbled almost like a sullen child, holding her breath to stop the hiccups mixing with painful sobs, willing herself to calm down.

"With me?"

Anya meekly nodded as she pulled herself away from him to rub her wet face, embarrassed though the large burden had been lifted from her shoulders. And she finally felt like she was back inside her body, instead of watching some stranger interact with a man she enjoyed. "I want to be happy... With you..."

"I want to be happy with you, too. I've waited for you my whole life," AJ reached out and helped her wipe away the tears, smiling softly. He was so proud of her to take charge of all her emotions and decide what she wanted.

"Don't try to be smooth for the sake of being smooth. I am so vulnerable right now I think I'd say I love you to the next male nurse with no hair and a beer belly that stepped in here," Anya warned with a sharp sniffle, though she showed remanents of her true smile. The one AJ saw when she had been dancing.

"I'm just telling you the truth," he chuckled, holding up his hands in playful defense.

"I hope, because even if you look like some punk reject with that horrible hairdo... I'd still have to tell everyone that I hoped you'd be my horrible punk reject with a horrible hairdo," Anya answered softly, slipping her hat gingerly over his head.

"I'm definitely your horrible punk reject with a horrible hairdo," AJ agreed, smiling yet again as his patchy head was covered. He had tried outrageous hairstyles before, but random bald spots wasn't one of them.

"When they discharge you... I can take you to the local barber shop... Not exactly those lavish hair style places you probably go to... But they do a good job and it doesn't hurt your bank account," Anya offered, moving to sit indian style on his bed, facing him.

"I would like that very much. These bald spots just aren't my thing."

"And here I thought you were hoping they were sexy..."

"Do you think they're sexy?"

"Do you want me to think they're sexy?" she returned, biting down on her bottom lip with obvious confusion. She didn't want to upset him.

"Not really," he chuckled.

"Good," she breathed with obvious relief as she moved to sit beside him again. Gingerly, she pulled the cap off to put it on her own locks, examining the massacre of AJ's dark locks. "Besides... I think it all shaved off would look really good... And the feel of that is... Well... Can't really say orgasmic, but I like the softness and it'll make it easier for someone to give you temple massages when your headaches are bad. Right?"

"You're right... I've shaved my head before and I liked it a lot. When I get out of here, we'll go and do that," AJ agreed, loving the feeling of Anya's gentle fingertips in his scalp and locks.

"Besides, even if you hate it, it'll grow back in no time," Anya promised, leaning down to actually brush sweet kisses over the bald spots and healing scars.

"There has only been two hairstyles I've hated: when my hair turned caramel after dying it and when I had leopard spots--"

Anya cupped her hand against his mouth to keep him from finishing, knowing exactly which hairstyles he was referring to. And, she knew if he continued, she would be laughing hysterically and disturbing dozens of patients. Switching the hat yet again to his head, she slipped off the bed as she shook her head with a silly smile. "I know, but I better go."

"Do you really have to? I thought that... maybe you could stay here tonight--"

"No, I can't. If Phi walks into my room and sees me gone... I'm dead where I stand, Baby."

"Baby?" AJ repeated in confusion.

Anya hesitated. "Sorry?"

"No, you don't have to be sorry. I just didn't expect it--"

Anya blushed. "I won't do it again--"

"No! I meant, I like it."

Anya studied him for a few short moments of silence, trying to determine if he was sincere. And, she seemed to think so as she smiled softly, leaning down to press a kiss to his forehead. Though, that seemed to be her downfall when AJ's arms looped around her waist, drawing her close to his bed. "AJ, I've got to go..."

"I don't want to be alone. Please, Anya? I'll wake up early so you can get home before Stephanie--"

Anya's soft groan of defeat interrupted AJ's pleading as he pulled her even closer. She shivered slightly when she felt his lips against her abdomen, causing her to turn and look out the window. Dark purples and pinks were starting to flood the sky, there was no way that she'd want AJ to wake up early. Besides, it was her life. Stephanie could throw a fit if she wanted, but Anya didn't really care at that point. "You are so lucky that nurse said I was cute and would make a perfect teddy bear for you..."

"Does that mean you'll stay?" AJ grinned, his breath tickling her skin.

"Don't sound so damn smug."

"I'm happy?"

"You're smug," Anya disagreed as he pulled her across his lap to the unoccupied portion of the bed. He even made a point to remove her socks before covering them both with his blankets. He seemed to have a renewed energy as he leaned over her, studying her. Anya laughed with obvious nervousness. "You're so damn smug it's ridiculous."

"I'm not that smug," AJ chuckled, relaxing considerably as he felt her warm body next to his. He reached to play with a golden curl that had fallen from her pigtails, curling it between his index finger and thumb. Though, his devilish grin still hadn't disappeared as she glared slightly at him. So, he bent and kissed her bottom lip again, drawing it into his mouth to nibble slightly. "I love you, Anya."

"I love you, too," she confessed within the dimness of his room, brushing her hands against the side of his face as he continued to lean above her. For once, she didn't feel suffocated. Just, perfect.

"I could hear you say that all day and I wouldn't get tired of it."

Anya laughed, "You're supposed to be trying to sleep."

"I love you?"

"I love you, too. Now go to sleep."

~*~*~*~*~

"ANYA! UNLOCK THE DOOR, NOW!" Stephanie demanded loudly, pounding her fist on Anya's bedroom door until it started to vibrate. She knew that her little sister usually slept soundly, but this was ridiculous. It was already two in the afternoon and she had yet to make a peep. Holding her abdomen, she reached to pound again, but Kevin caught her fist. "Let the girl sleep," he decided softly.

"She's never slept this long before!" Stephanie tried pulling away from him but failed, so she settled on yelling. "ANYA! WAKE UP!"

"You are insane, y'know that?!" Kevin heaved in shock, wrapping a hand over her mouth before picking her up in his other arm. Without a second thought, he turned to carry her down the steps, gingerly placing her far away from Anya's door. "Let her sleep, alright? She's a big girl, she knows when she should be up."

"She went to bed at nine last night! There is no way she could still be sleeping," Stephanie scowled, becoming more angry as he called her insane. She wasn't insane, she just wanted to protect her sister. What was so crazy about that?

"You put her in bed at nine, doesn't mean she went to sleep at nine," Kevin stressed as Howie jogged down the steps with a bewildered gaze.

"It doesn't matter--"

"Did World War Three just break out or am I imagining things? What's going on?" Howie asked, his eyebrows raised.

"He won't let me wake Anya up!" Stephanie growled, immediately moving back to stand on the steps and scream. "ANYA! I'M NOT PLAYING GAMES ANYMORE, THIS IS RIDICULOUS!"

"Stephanie! Just leave her alone!"

"You can't tell me what to do with her--"

Stephanie's ranting was interupted as the front door to the old house creaked open. Anya looked as if she were attempted to be sly as she slipped off her squeaky sneakers, laying them gently at the side of the door. Then, squeezing her small body through the smallest opening of the front door, she eased it closed without even a soft slam. But, when she turned, she immediately faced three none too pleased faces. And, she seemed to turn pale immediately as she folded her arms behind her back, knowing she looked like trouble. Her pigtails were loose with curls framing her face, because AJ had insisted on holding her and kissing her practically all night while playing with her hair. Not to mention that her bedclothes were rumpled. "Holy Hell...'

"Oh, Holy Hell is right! You snuck out of the house after I told you to stay in bed! How could you disobey me like that?! I'm your sister, I know what's best for you!" Stephanie burst, her words running together in a heated pace as she saw the messy hair and clothes. "You went to see AJ! I know it! You're not allowed to--"

"I was getting the morning paper," Anya interupted in attempts to lie, looking at Howie and Kevin for any means of help.

"You were getting the morning paper at two o'clock in the afternoon?"

"I'm a late starter?"

"Bullshit, Anya! Don't fucking lie to me! I forbid you to see AJ and you still do it! I don't understand what's so hard with understanding this--"

"You forbid me to see AJ?" Anya interupted with a sharpness in her voice that neither Kevin nor Howie seemed prepared for.

"Damn right, I do! He's nothing but a womanizer and he will be gone as soon as the doctor signs those papers--"

"I am twenty-one years old. No one can forbid me to see anyone."

"I'm your sister--"

"Yeah, my sister, not my mother," Anya snapped with annoyance, moving toward the stairs. She was about to sprint up them when Stephanie reached to grasp her upper arm, pulling her back down. Usually, Anya would obey, but she straightened her posture and yanked away from Stephanie's grasp. "I love you and I'm grateful that you took care of me for so many years. But, I've got to live my own life. Yes, I went and saw AJ last night. After I heard you and Kevin arguing about me and how I couldn't make my own choices. I just wanted to be friends with AJ, even though he wanted more. But, after last night, I want more, too. I love him and I'm not scared of what happened to me. I was raped, Phi... Okay? But that doesn't mean my life dies, too."

Stephanie recoiled in obvious shock, the color leaving her face. "Ani..."

"I was raped, Phi. You couldn't have protected me from that. No matter what you did wasn't going to stop it from happening. I was raped, plain and simple. Please, stop trying to make up for it, because you can't," Anya finished, marching up the stairs in a silent deliberation. When she reached the top, she turned slightly to glance down at her broken sister. "AJ said he loves me... The first guy to ever tell me that... I thought you'd be happy for me."

"Ani, I... I just wanted to protect you--"

"You can't protect me from everything."

"Ani..." Stephanie trailed in sheer disbelief as she watched her little sister turn away yet again, disappearing into the upper hallways.

"AJ's a good guy and he really does love your little sister. Even if you think he's uncapable of loving," Howie murmured, hopping off the stairs to turn into the kitchen.

"Don't even say I told you so. I'm a shitty person and no one needs to remind me," Stephanie replied before Kevin could speak, walking out towards the porch with a hand on her abdomen as tears fell down her cheeks.

~*~*~*~*~

"I know you may hate it, but I really like what Charlie did with your hair," Anya attempted to compliment as she eased her car into her driveway, killing the engine before glancing over to AJ. He had been released from the hospital an hour ago and, like she had promised, Anya immediately took him to get his hair fixed. After all, she had no desire whatsoever to get back into the house that her sister occupied with an suffocating air of anger. The fight had been horrible, but Anya had attempted to stand her ground. Though, she didn't know what good that did for her. Exhaling a soft sigh, she reached to gently rub her fingers over his shortly shaved, black hair. "AJ?"

"Sorry, I was just thinking," AJ turned and smiled at Anya, though his mind was still elsewhere. "I don't hate what Charlie did to my hair. I like it. Gives me a fresh feeling."

"What are you thinking about?"

"Lots of things."

"AJ..."

"Stephanie and I are going to end up fighting. I know it."

"Oh..." Anya trailed, knowing that was extremely obvious. Though, she tried to hide that fact as she pulled her keys away from the ignition, playing with her various keychains as a diversion. "...You don't have to stay... Technically you have a clean bill of health and can go back to Florida whenever you want. And, the only reason you two are going to fight is going to be because of me. So, we can end that, too, if you want..."

"No. I don't want to end anything and I'm not leaving you," AJ leaned over and made her look into his eyes, which were clear and bright. "No one can make me leave you."

"But you don't want to fight with Phi--"

"I never said that. I just said it was going to happen and I'll keep fighting her until she accepts me."

"That's going to get tiring," Anya sighed, hopping out of the driver's side. Tucking the keys into her back pocket, she hurried over to open AJ's door. She leaned slightly on the frame as he swung his legs over to dangle outside the car. "Dizzy?"

"A little..." AJ closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"That's natural," Anya assured softly as AJ slid his sunglasses over his face to protect his eyes from the aching sun. Carefully, she stepped between his legs, taking the initiative to tenderly rub his temples. "Just wait until you're ready to get up."

"I hope it goes away," AJ mumbled as he opened his eyes again, shielded from the sun. "I'm ready."

"C'mon," she encouraged, grasping his hands to pull him up. AJ naturally stumbled slightly from the adjustment as his head began to throb again, wrapping his arms protectively around Anya. She accomadated a portion of his weight as she wrapped her arms around his waist to steady him. She let him stand for a few minutes, just holding her, before she bumped the door shut with her behind. "We'll get you inside to lay down, okay?"

"Okay," AJ agreed, stopping himself from giving a nod as he kept his arms wrapped around her. They took small steps towards the house, stopping once as he became dizzy and finally reached the front door.

"Y'know, you think you're pretty slick, but I know you're faking so you can touch me and perhaps let your hands slide down for a little ass squeeze," Anya teased lightly as she uncurled one arm from around AJ's lean waist to fish her keys from her back pocket. Since Stephanie returned, she demanded the doors be locked at all times. It was a fad that would pass, so Anya agreed to it.

"Well, I can't deny the perks," AJ smirked as Anya unlocked the door and gently kicked it open.

"I figured as much," Anya actually laughed, wrapping her arms around him again as they walked toward the living room. She noticed AJ studying every aspect of the house as she eased him down onto the couch, allowing him to lean back and rest. She smiled softly at his handsome profile, realizing it was somewhat quiet in the house. Almost eerily quiet as she attempted to step away from him so he could rest.

"Where are you going?" AJ questioned as he pulled the sunglasses off his nose.

"I was going to let you rest," Anya squeaked in surprise as AJ's hands curled around the back of her upper thighs to pull her between his legs again.

"I want you to rest with me."

"I'm not tired."

"Lay with me?"

"Just lay down beside you, huh?" Anya quoted with a faint smirk as AJ tugged her closer, keeping his hands firmly poised around her.

"If you lay down, lay down besides me..." AJ retorted, sinnging with his own devilish smirk. "You can get all inside me--"

"But you can get all inside me, too."

Anya finally laughed, attempting to pull away from his tight lock on her upper legs. "You're such a freak--"

"You love this freak," AJ interrupted, bringing her against his chest and kissing her deeply without warning.

Anya's entire thought process seemed to unhinge the second AJ's warm mouth found hers. She allowed him to lead her in the dance as he tempted her with his tongue, helping her easily straddle his lap. Pushing her hands against the back of the couch on either side of AJ, she leaned all her upper body weight against the couch so she could dip for a harder kiss. They had only kissed with that much intensity once or twice since she spent the night with him at the hospital. For the most part, they had actually been timid around one another. But he was stirring something deep inside of her. "Mmm, you drive me wild."

"Now you know a portion of what I felt when I saw you dance," AJ smiled against her lips, reaching up to run his hands through her soft curls.

"Down and dirty on a mop handle," Anya laughed, leaning down for another kiss.

"Actually, I wished I was the mop--"

"Anya Christine Lord!" Stephanie's voice screeched, shattering the romantic vibes AJ had been stirring for Anya. Each piece of what AJ hoped to continue with Anya seemed to cut against him like a sharp night as Stephanie swooped down. With no regard for what the couple felt, she latched a tight hand around Anya's upper arm and yanked her away from AJ's embrace. Practically shaking her with fury. "What the Hell do you think you're doing?!"

"I was trying to enjoy myself," Anya yelped.

"Not like that and not in my damn house! You know how I feel about him and you still do this?! What are you thinking?!"

"I'm thinking you better get the Hell off my arm!" Anya threatened, though it seemed meaningless.

"Not until you wake up and see how bad this... this... relationship... is with him--"

"Don't say that about us! Stop being such a damn bitch to him! He actually cares about me unlike you!" Anya defended, not prepared for the way Stephanie's hand lashed against her cheek. The sharp slap echoed like a gunshot as Kevin seemed to appear out of no where, Anya just staring at Stephanie with disbelief. Her cheek stung painfully, but no tears fell.

"Go to your room, now, Anya," Stephanie demanded.

"I--"

"Why don't you go up and get Howie, so we can figure out where to go to eat to celebrate AJ getting out of the hospital?" Kevin suggested softly as AJ fumbled to rise from the couch, knowing it would be better to protect Anya from this ugliness.

"...Fine..." Anya whispered, turning slightly to find AJ within her eyesight as she completely ignored Stephanie. Tears immediately threatened to fall when she found him, cupping her aching cheek. "...I'm sorry..."

"It's okay, Baby. I'll fix this, I promise. Just go up and find Howie, alright?" AJ replied softly, giving her an encouraging smile as she nodded and walked upstairs.

"Who the Hell do you think you are that you think you can call her some derogatory name like 'Baby,' huh?" Stephanie instantly demanded when she heard the door upstairs close, Anya obviously finding Howie quickly. The older sister's body tensed with disgust as Kevin attempted to pull her back, but she pushed him away and stepped to meet AJ's gaze. She had been shocked when she actually slapped Anya, but she was convinced it was for the young girl's good. Just like this would be. She had a right to speak her mind.

"Derogatory? It's called term of affection, so back off me right now," AJ replied steadily, staring her right back without trepidition. "Who the Hell do you think you are judging me when you don't even know me? And who the Hell do you think you are, making all the decisions for Anya? She's a grown woman, she doesn't need you controlling her life."

"I know about you and your kind!" Stephanie seethed evenly, "And I don't want anyone as sleezy as you with my little sister! I know what's best for her, because she doesn't even know what she wants! She just likes to float around and play in life, but I make sure everything is taking care of! She doesn't need you! She needs to get through college and apply to medical school where she can meet a refined doctor! Not some man-whore like you! She's way too innocent for whatever you have planned for her. Besides, where's the conquest, AJ, she's not a virgin anymore!"

"That was low. That was really low to talk about your sister like that. I'm not after women's virginities," AJ narrowed his eyes, shocked a sister could say such things. "I have no kind. I'm a damn good man who knows how to treat a woman right. You know who taught me? Kevin. I don't care if you don't like me. If Anya wants to be with me, she'll be with me. You have no say in her personal life just like she has no say in yours."

"Over my dead body," Stephanie gritted as she finally felt Kevin's hands on her shoulder. "You won't get near her."

"I'd like to see you stop me."

"I have no problem knocking a few blows into your head--"

"Don't you think that hitting Anya was enough?" Kevin finally interupted, pulling Stephanie back a few inches. "Or did you forget that you did that?"

"It was for her own good. Let me go--"

"You slapping her across the face so hard that it left a red hand print was for her own good?" Kevin repeated, immediately turning her to face him.

"Yes! She needs to wake up and see that he's only going to bring her down!"

"You're the one bringing her down," Kevin disagreed, pulling Stephanie into the foyer at the threshold of the stairs. He clamped a hand over her mouth as AJ followed, making sure everything was quiet. And, they all could hear the muffled sobs of a broken young woman upstairs. "Do you hear that?"

"She's crying because she knows I'm right--"

"Will you just stop and listen? Does it really sound like that to you?"

Stephanie narrowed her eyes toward the stop of the stairs as she folded her arms tightly across her chest. Anya's wails had turned to hot sobs, mournful and pitiful. She was in honest agony, which caused Stephanie to soften for a moment. She shifted uncomfortably as she turned her head away, guilty.

"She's in pain, Stephanie. Not only because you smacked her, but because you're trying to make her choose between you and AJ. She cares about him a lot. After all, didn't she risk everything to sneak out of the house just to see him? Knowing it would make you mad? Knowing you would be disappointed in her? But she risked that for him. And when you were unconcious from that infection, AJ protected Anya. He fought those men to keep her inside the storage room so she wouldn't get raped again. That's when he got hit in the head again that knocked him unconcious. Don't you see, Stephanie?"

"... I just wanted what was best for her... I didn't stop her from being raped..." Stephanie turned back to AJ, her eyes full of shame and tears. "You really protected her while I was unconscious?"

"I did what I had to..." AJ trailed uneasily.

"He did more than that," Kevin argued, knowing AJ didn't want to boast. "He gave her the clothes off his back, kept her warm, and held her while I was taking care of you. Then the assholes came back in to take her as a hostage, because the police were everywhere. AJ wouldn't let them take her. He refused. He risked his life for her."

"...You really told her that you loved her?" Stephanie sniffled, holding a hand over her mouth.

"I told her. I've told her since then and I do love her. More than anything."

"Why her?"

"She completes me. Everything about her is beautiful and amazing... I fell in love with her the minute I saw her. She could marry me in hospital scrubs and she would make it look perfect."

Stephanie offered a teary smile, nodding with appreciation at AJ's words. "But what about living in Florida? We're all the way up here... She won't want a long distance relationship, especially if she loves you that much... She'll always want to be cuddled against you..."

"I'm going to move with her. I'll stay here until she goes to medical school and then I'll follow."

"You have a career--"

"Anya and I are going to make it work. Brian and his wife have been for the past five years. I love her way too much to not have it work."

Stephanie nodded with a soft sigh, glancing up to Kevin. "Why don't you encourage her to apply to a medical school in Florida... She'd love the beach and you can still continue your career. And... That way I won't have to leave her behind when I move with Kevin?"

"What?" AJ and Kevin asked.

"You're right... you and Anya deserve to be together. I won't stand in your way."

"Honestly?" AJ breathed.

"Honestly," Stephanie promised as Kevin kissed the back of her head, murmuring a soft 'thank you' in her ear.