- Text Size +
Stephanie exhaled a tight break when she reached to turn the doorknob to her sister's room, knowing very well that Anya wouldn't be ushering her in. She had let the younger woman calm down from the explosion of emotions downstairs. That is, until Kevin pushed her upstairs to talk. She had asked AJ to wait outside so she could speak to Anya first. Though, she didn't know exactly how to start that conversation. Especially when Anya was curled on her bed, back facing the door, her face buried into the pillow.

"Leave me alone," Anya demanded with a choked sob.

"Ani, please. I really need to talk to you," Stephanie closed the door behind her and walked towards her little sisters bed.

"Your hand said enough, trust me."

"That's exactly why I'm here," Stephanie sighed heavily as she sat on the edge of the bed. "I shouldn't have hit you."

"You're fucking telling me."

"I was upset. I didn't want to lose you to someone like AJ--"

"He's not--"

"Ani, I know. Kevin told me what he did for you in the store when I couldn't... and my opinion of AJ was totally blown out of the water."

"Blown out of the ass," Anya corrected with a heavy sniffle as Stephanie reached to turn her onto her back. Slowly, Anya complied, continuing to hold her still stinging cheek as she glanced into her sister's eyes.

"Blown out of the ass," Stephanie smiled softly, wiping away the stray tears. "Sweetie, I am so sorry for the way I've been acting. You finally found the man you've been looking for and I acted like a psychotic bitch."

"You never smacked me before."

"I never did... and I shouldn't have. It'll never happen again, I promise."

Anya nodded carefully as Stephanie reached to pull her in a sitting position. She attempted to clear away the rest of her tears as best she could, but her bright red cheek couldn't be touched without a severe sting. "I think you were worse than a psychotic bitch. Y'know, I didn't say shit about you liking Kevin so damn much--"

"I know. I was way out of line and I can't do anything to take it back," Stephanie ran a hand through Anya's unruly locks, regretting every bitter word that had fallen from her lips.

"You're right, you can't do anything to take it back. Just like you can't do anything to take back getting shot when I was getting raped."

"...I know... I just felt like a failure as a big sister and I lost it..."

"It's not your fault, Phi."

"I try to tell myself that but--"

"I'm telling you it's not your fault."

"Ani--"

"Phi, it's not your fault," Anya repeated quickly. "It's not your fault and it's not my fault. But, you've got to let me get past it instead of focusing on it, otherwise I'll never heal. Okay? I was raped and you did everything in your power to protect me. But it happened."

"You're not mad at me?"

"No... But I have license to give you Hell for the rest of my life if my cheek bruises..."

"Okay," Stephanie agreed, bringing Anya into her arms. "I love you so much, Ani."

"I love you, too," Anya promised, allowing Stephanie to hold her as tight as physically possible. It seemed to compress the air from her lungs, but she knew Stephanie needed the closure. "You're my big sister, I've got to love you."

"Yeah, you better not forget that," Stephanie laughed, pulling away to press a kiss to Anya's forehead. "But there's someone else who loves you, too. And he's standing outside the door."

"Phi..." Anya trailed slightly as a firm blush settled against her cheeks, embarrassed for what had happened. She really didn't think she had the courage to face him.

"You both love each other. I'm not going to stand inbetween that."

"You can stand in between it now--"

"Oh, no. I don't think so, Anya Christine."

"You really like him now?"

"Yes, I really like him."

"I feel like such an ass--"

"You're not an ass. He loves you and you love him. That's all that matters."

"You couldn't have decided this ahead of time before you humiliated me?" Anya challenged as Stephanie kissed her once more before standing.

"I'm too bullheaded to do that. You know me better than--"

"So you let me suffer the consequences?"

"You're not going to suffer. AJ is going to love you and spoil you rotten."

"But--" Anya's words seemed to die hard as Stephanie opened the door and murmured something to whoever was still standing in the hall. Anya's entire body tensed as she rolled over her bed, wondering if she could scale the side of the house in time to escape.

"Don't you go anywhere!" Stephanie called softly as she led AJ into the bedroom.

"Phi!" Anya whined.

"Ani!" she whined back, giving AJ a smile as she closed the door.

"I really don't like her..." Anya trailed as she leaned against her window, folding her arms across her chest when she realized she was alone with AJ. She heard the distinct footsteps trailing downward, knowing they actually wouldn't be disturbed this time. At all. And her stomach knotted with a nervous air as she swallowed the lump in her throat. "I'm sorry about Phi--"

"It's alright. We talked everything out," AJ interrupted, sitting down on her bed to stop the dizzy spell.

Anya hesitated as AJ placed both hands against his temples, squeezing his eyes shut. She realized another headache would probably accompany the dizziness, so she quickly drew her blinds and curtains, then turned off her light, shrowding them in a light darkness. "Are you okay?"

"I'm just trying to stop the headache before it starts."

"I've got it dark in here," Anya offered, inching her way near him as she focused on trying to help him.

AJ peeked his eyes open and sighed with relief, keeping his hands against his temples. "Thank you."

"Anything to help," Anya promised with a meek shrug of her shoulders.

"Why are you so shy now?"

"I'm not shy--"

"Then why are you standing so far away?"

"Just so I can hear you ask all these stupid questions," Anya answered, taking a step closer. She held her arms out to emphasize. "See?"

"Are you always a smartass?" AJ laughed softly.

"Would that be a trait you'd want in a significant other?" she retorted, though she had to admitt she was undoubtedly shy around him. After all, Stephanie had given her full permission to do what she wanted. Now, if she only knew what she wanted in the first place.

"Since I can be a smartass... yes."

"Damn, I'm absolutely as sweet as pie..." Anya answered, releasing a dreaded sigh, attempting to step back.

"I don't think so," he reached out and grasped her hips.

"You don't think I'm sweet as pie?" she gasped as he brought her to stand between his legs. It was just like before Stephanie had invaded their privacy, only Anya's emotions were higher in intensity. She felt her stomach knot dramatically as she stared down into his dark eyes, unable to keep herself from drowning. She couldn't deny how much she truly adored him.

"You can be, but there's a side of you that's mischevious like me--"

"I am not!"

"Oh, yes you are," he disagreed, wincing slightly from her loud outburst.

"Sorry," Anya instantly softened with a pout, reaching to cup his face in her small hands.

"It's okay. Your touch makes the pain go away," AJ replied, placing his hands on top of hers. "I have a question for you."

"A question?"

"Yeah. Have you thought about where you would go for medical school?"

"Not really..." Anya trailed, chewing on her bottom lip as she rubbed her thumbs against his cheeks. "There are great schools all over the place, but Phi didn't want me to go too far from home... Or at least maybe I didn't want to, because I knew she'd move no matter where I went and I didn't want her too homesick... Why?"

"How about picking a school in Florida?"

"It's going to be way too damn hot down there," Anya disagreed as AJ pulled her into his lap, not realizing what he was ultimately proposing.

"There's tons of beaches and it isn't that hot."

"I can't make Phi move down there--"

"She suggested it."

"What?"

"She suggested going to a school in Florida."

Anya arched her light brows in surprise as she studied AJ's facial features. That is, until she finally understood. "She wants to move in with Kevin. So she thinks that I have to go to a school in Florida so she won't leave me behind."

"That. And... so you can live with me."

"Excuse me?"

"Live with me?"

"You?"

"Me."

"Why?"

"Because I love you... and I don't want to be apart from you. It's amazing in Florida, you would love it--"

"But it's hot as Hell," Anya interrupted with a soft laugh as he laid her down on the bed, practically bursting with enthusiasm.

"But there's beaches and I have a pool," AJ offered, leaning over to kiss her neck.

"And what else do you have?" she shivered.

"A huge house where we can do anything we want. Pool... sauna... jacuzzi... home theater system."

"Air conditioning?" she questioned hopefully, ignoring all the expensive and lavish gifts he was dangling.

"Central air conditioning--"

"That I can keep as cold as I want?" Anya breathed as she rolled to lay on top of him, her blue-green eyes glittering with excitement.

"Yes," he chuckled, running his hands down her side.

"And I get to have you all to myself?"

"All to yourself."

Anya sat back on his hips in awe, keeping her hands flattened on his chest, feeling the beat of his heart. She was actually slightly flabbergasted by what he had offered. Never in a million years did she expect such an offer from him. Just hearing him say 'I love you' was baffling enough. So, this offer caused her to soften dramatically as she searched for some kind of flaw. "You really want me there?"

"I want you there more than anything, Anya. I can't stand the thought of being away from you," AJ reached up and cupped her cheeks.

"Phi didn't make you ask?"

"I made this choice on my own."

"Really?" Anya breathed.

"Really."

"Did I mention how much I love you?"

"Not lately--"

"I love you," Anya interupted with a promise, leaning down to capture his mouth against hers. She offered a slow, romantic kiss, working every fiber of AJ's body as she teased him with her tongue.

"Mmm," AJ moaned into her mouth, wrapping his arms around her waist to bring their bodies closer. "I love you, too."

"Then I accept," she mumbled before biting against his bottom lip, causing him to rise to meet her mouth for a harder kiss.

~*~*~*~*~

Kevin smiled with appreciation as Stephanie slipped beside him, wasting no time in curling her arms around his waist. They had left AJ and Anya upstairs and Howie had gone out to get them take-out. So, they were alone, knowing things were perfect. And, Kevin couldn't help himself as he leaned down to kiss her forehead. "Thank you for believing in AJ. You did the right thing up there."

"He really cares about my Ani. She deserves him," Stephanie smiled softly.

"She's lucky to have a big sister like you."

"I know... I just don't know when she grew up!" she sniffled playfully.

"You sound like me whenever I watch Brian with Baylee... Or AJ talking about Anya..." Kevin chuckled, rubbing her shoulder with his warm hand.

"Now you're really making me feel old--"

"You think you have jokes, huh?" Kevin interupted, leaning down to capture her lips in a smoldering kiss. He could feel her shiver beneath him as he laid her on the couch, knowing he wanted to do this more than he could ever express. He had dreamed about kissing her this way since the terrible hostage situation. So, he had to indulge himself now. The kiss started hard, but, slowly, he softened it into bits and whisps of tiny kisses, allowing her eyes to flutter dramatically at the changing sensations. "Now what do you have to say?"

"Um... do it again?" Stephanie fumbled with her words, overpowered by his strong kisses as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I don't know abotu that..."

"You don't know about that? You damn tease--"

"You're definitely going to be fun to live with," Kevin laughed, leaning down to kiss her again.

"You're not funny," Stephanie pouted against his lips.

"I was giving you a compliment."

"I know, but... I'm not going to drive you crazy, am I?"

"I hope not," Kevin chuckled, but realized she was serious a few moments later. Clicking his tongue, he reached down to kiss her once more. "Stop worrying. I have no doubt in my mind that we're going to drive each other crazy at some point, but I love you, remember?"

"I remember. I love you, too. If I didn't have you at the store... I don't think I would have made it," Stephanie whispered softly, running her fingers through the short hairs on his neck. The night they spoke of their love was something she could never forget.

"Likewise," Kevin agreed, bending down to kiss the side of her face. "I'm going to make you so happy, Steph."

"You've already made me the happiest woman alive--"

"Again, likewise!"

"I think you like that word too much," she finally laughed.

"I like you too much."

"That's okay, because we're always going to be together."

"Promise?"

"Promise. I couldn't see myself with anyone else... I have so much planned for us."

"Like what?"

"Getting married. Having kids. Bringing them to your family's farm in Kentucky so they can see the country and ride horses..."

"Sounds like Heaven to me, Steph."

"Yeah?"

"Yes, m'am," he promised, leaning down to kiss her so that she truly believed.