- Text Size +
Kevin exhaled a slow breath, doing his best not to move for fear of waking Stephanie from her light slumber. The day had quickly passed, falling into the mid afternoon. Not much could really be heard outside except the howling of contineous sirens. Kevin could only hope that salvation was mere hours away, especially as Stephanie continued to decline drastically. She was feverish and writhing despite her sleep, letting Kevin know that she needed advanced medical treatment. But, he was powerless as he watched over his friends, his eyes naturally drifting toward AJ. Anya seemed permanently melted within his embrace, her pale face buried against AJ's bare chest for obvious protection. Sobs could be heard intermittantly from the young girl, but she stayed silent and very still.

"Dear God... let us all get through this... please..." he whispered, biting hard on the inside of his cheek as tears prickled his light green eyes. In the distance, he could hear a conversation which seemed to showcase Ernie's impeccable negotiation skills, a sarcastic comment coming from Ben. The more the sirens wailed, the more they seemed to argue and break apart as a group, which could make their plan of a clean escape backfire.

"Would it be terrible of me to pray that they shoot one another?" Brian mumbled softly, continuing to clasp his hands in prayer as he rubbed the cross necklace his son had given him for Christmas.

"Not at all, Bri. God knows what we're going through... He'll understand," Kevin replied, watching his cousin for a moment. He had a wife and son at home. There was no way Kevin nor God was going to deny him the right to see them again. It wouldn't be fair.

"I hope..."

"Just keep praying, Cousin. Just keep praying--"

"Look, if God gets us out of this thing, I'll be the first to bathe myself in Holy Water and roll around the church screaming his name. But, damnit, we need to get out of here," Nick interupted with a dark frown.

"And how do you propose we do that in a borded up room, Nick? AJ has a concussion and Stephanie is developing an infection. How are we going to get them out while batting those three out there who have guns?" Kevin was quick to respond, keeping his voice low and even.

"I don't know, but we've got to be able to do something, Kevin!"

"Shh! For crying out loud, Nick, keep it down!"

"Or what?!"

"Or you could wake up a sleeping woman," Stephanie groaned, opening her eyes to the loud argument.

"Smooth, Nick," Howie sighed.

"Like she wasn't going to wake up anyway," Nick grumbled, folding his arms over his chest."You all fight a lot... more than me and Anya..."

"Sorry," Kevin mumured against the top of her head, noticing that Anya still refused to speak, holed within her own personal dungeon.

"It's not your fault," she sighed and coughed loudly, covering her mouth.

"I'll try to keep them quiet."

"They don't have to be quiet just because of me... I keep having weird dreams when I sleep anyway."

"You need to sleep--"

"Kevin... please. When I get tired again I'll rest... just let me stay awake for a little bit longer. It's lonely in the darkness..."

"Okay... Just stay still, please..."

"I will," Stephanie's head looked up at the borded window, where the sun was desperately trying to peek through. "We survived the night. Have you heard... anything?"

"Them yelling at each other..."

"Oh... are there any blankets in here? I'm cold."

"I dont know..."

"I'll check the locker and cabinets," Howie volunteered, standing up as he stretched his aching back from sitting so long.

"Second locker from the left," Anya volunteered softly.

"Thanks, Anya. Is there anything else we would need in here?" Howie asked as he opened the locker door.

"Um..." Anya trailed softly, her mind really not focused on the tasks at hand. She was too far gone within her own pain, shifting uncomfortably against AJ in attempts to get him to release her. "I'm not too sure... Sorry..."

"It's alright, I can check," Howie gave AJ a look as to not let Anya go as he scrounged for blankets and anything else. Soon he came across a large box of dried fruit and water bottles along with the blankets.

"I can help him," Anya whispered, squirming to get away from AJ as her entire body throbbed with the pain of her ravished form.

"He'll ask for it if he needs it," AJ objected, keeping his gentle hold on her. "Just relax, Anya."

"I can't--"

"And how do you expect to get us out of here and keep those hostages, Ernie?! By fucking magic? Those cops are going to promise a lot of shit that they're not going to give us! We should just take the money and get the fuck out of here!" Ben's voice echoed throughout the store.

"WITHOUT THEM WE'RE AS GOOD AS DEAD!" Ernie hollered back, overpowering Ben's disgruntled attitude.

"WILL YOU TWO STOP ARGUING?! YOU SOUND LIKE A FUCKING MARRIED COUPLE!" Jimmy tried to put his two cents in.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, JIMMY!" they screamed in unison as loud crashes erupted with their obvious scuffle.

"I wish they would kill each other and get over with it," Nick muttered under his breath as the rest cringed from the sounds.

"I don't know whether the desperation is a good sign or not..." Howie voiced softly.

"They're too idiotic. I mean, look at their situation. One man dead, another with a concussion and a woman with a gunshot wound to the stomach. They don't have much of a choice what to do."

"Take the money and haul ass..." Anya murmured softly.

"Exactly," Nick agreed.

"WE'RE GETTING THE FUCK OUT OF HERE, BEN! YOU HEAR ME?! THEY'RE THROWING THE MONEY IN HERE IN A FEW HOURS, THEN WE'RE TAKING A BODY SHIELD AND LEAVING! YOU HEAR ME?! THAT'S FUCKING FINAL!"'''

There was a sharp pop of the gun.

"Damnit, Ernie!" Ben howled.

"I'm sorry, Ben, but I'm in charge."
~*~*~*~*~

"C-C-Cold..." Stephanie whimpered in her sleep, though she was covered with a heavy fleece blanket while the others were put together to make a large make-shift bed for the others. After the last heated argument from the outside, it had grown eerily quiet, which they all took was a good sign for the moment.

"Stephanie?" Kevin murmured softly in surprise, barely hearing her call out with a freezing pain. He had been lost within his own world, hoping that Ben had bled to death, though he had no idea what his gunshot injury consisted of. Never would Kevin wish anything malicious on another person, but this was life and death now. He couldn't stand to make a bargin.

"I'm c-c-cold... and it h-h-h-hurts..." she repeated, shivering heavily as she peeked her eyes open. The office had grown dark once again, and she could see the others sleeping restlessly.

"I know--"

"M-M-Make it s-s-stop."

"I can't--"

"I'm going to d-die..."

"No, you're not!"

"I'm not s-s-s-stupid. I have a f-fever and I'm c-cold. I lost bl-blood and stuff is i-in my body that shouldn't b-be."

"Anya said stuff is leaking out of your body that shouldn't be--"

"I'm d-dying."

"We're going to get you to a doctor."

"K-Kevin..." she trailed off, which made her start coughing again.

"I promise that we're going to get you to a doctor," Kevin soothed, holding her as close was possible without hurting her further. It was terrifying to hold a dying person within his arms. To feel her cool, clammy skin despite the raging fever. To feel her shiver and hack with a powerful burst of air that could knock down a building. Yet, he was clueless as to how to help her. And, Anya was in no state to help.

"I'm scared," Stephanie whispered, wiping the blood off her palm as she leaned back against his chest. "What if I d-die? A-Anya will be alone and I c-can't protect her."

"You're not going to die."

"Kevin--" she was interrupted by the door slamming open.

It took only a few moments for everyone to be jarred awake was food was thrust into the room. Tin cans landed with heavy thumps, causing everyone to sit up sharply. Anya looked most terrified as she sat up between the four men, furiously rubbing her swollen, teary, emerald eyes in order to clear her vision. Only, it was nothing that she wanted to see as Ernie bent down to grasp her roughly by the upper arms. He gave one firm yank to pull her to her feet before she realized what was happening and he planted a sloppy kiss to her lips.

"They brought the money, Sweetheart. We're leaving!" Ernie declared proudly.

"NO! A-ANYA!" Stephanie managed to scream, trying to get up and protect her sister. "SHE'S NOT Y-YOURS!"

"Sit down!" Kevin demanded, pulling sharply on Stephanie to keep her from going anywhere. She was in too serious of a condition now to put up any fight. And, Kevin was powerless as Ernie started to drag Anya toward the door. He knew what would happen when Ernie reached the door. The money would be taken and Anya used as a human shield. And, if she wasn't shot dead, she would be taken as a hostage in their sick and perverse pleasures.

"ANYA! NO! N-NO, NO, N-NO! G-GIVE HER BACK!" Stephanie begged, tears streamed down her cheeks as she reached out for her younger sister.

"You can't keep her," Ernie laughed as he pinned Anya's arms tightly behind her back, keeping the pistol poised at the tender flesh of her throat. He could hear the soft sobs muffling against Anya's throat as she tensed, biting hard on her bottom lip to keep composed. But, she already knew what he was planning as her lower half throbbed with the previous assault. "You'll be dead in a few hours, Stephanie. It's better that I take her with me. I'll take good care of her."

"YOU BASTARD! YOU COWARD! YOU CH-CHICKENSHIT! I HOPE YOU BURN IN H-HELL!" Tears streamed down Stephanie's cheeks as she looked at the boys. "WHY AREN'T YOU D-D-DOING SOMETHING?! HELP H-HER!"

"If I burn in Hell, your sister will be coming right along with me," Ernie continued as the boys maintained a strong silence. Each seemed clueless as to how to intervene without causing further harm. And, Ernie loved the havoc of the situation. "Because no one else wants her."

"I DO! SH-SHE'S MY SISTER! A-ANYA! PLEASE, D-DON'T!"

"I want her more," Ernie promised with a sly wink, motioning toward the bra still wrapped around his neck.

"Fuck a-all of you! I-I'm going to l-lose my sister and you d-d-don't care!" Stephanie screamed at the five men sitting on the floor, including the one that was holding her.

"Just put Anya down," AJ muttered toward Ernie as Kevin battled against Stephanie's fierce protectiveness.

"And what makes you think I'm going to listen?" Ernie laughed.

"Because I want her more than you ever will and I have no problem making you listening," AJ threatened."Almost convinced me," Ernie promised, moving to step out the door with his prize. "I'll remember that, though. Promise."

"Put. Anya. Down."

"Or?" Ernie tempted.

"Or you will wish you never grabbed her."

"Don't be stupid," Ernie laughed. "I've done more than just grab her body, Son--"

Erine was quickly interrupted as AJ stood up and slammed a fist into his jaw, which made him immediately let go of Anya to grab his face.

Anya fell hard to the floor in shock as AJ tackled the lumbering man. Without any consideration for his well being, he began to pummel Ernie's body. His thick fists showed no mercy as AJ raged against everything that had happened to Anya underneath the cruel man's hands. And, she watched, shell shocked as someone's arms lifted her. She tensed, thinking it might be Ben or Jimmy taking care of Ernie's business. But she heard Howie's voice. "I got you."

Anya heaved a soft sob as she attempted to help, "But AJ--"

"Just let him do this. He'll be alright," Howie held her close as Ernie tried to push AJ off him as the blows became more fierce.

Anya's blonde brows furrowed in disbelief as she shook with obvious fright. She had never seen AJ so animated or fierce during their length of stay. It was like a vicious beast had lept out of his body as Ernie whimpered for some kind of relief. "Why?"

"Once AJ begins something like this... defending someone he cares about... he won't stop until he's finished."

"He's going to get hurt--"

"Get the fuck off me!" Ernie grunted, pushing AJ off him. Anya screamed as his body thudded against the wall and he fell to the floor.

Howie stared in disbelief as AJ went limp, the butt of Ernie's gun locating AJ's skull once again before he bounced off the wall. He felt his entire body freeze with sharp fears as Ernie started to crawl toward the door as Jimmy locked it. The man would need to nurse his wounds as another plan was formulated. But, Anya didn't care as she broke away from Howie, falling onto her knees as she cupped AJ's face in her hands. "AJ? AJ? Please... AJ?"

"Is he... is he breathing?" Kevin spoke as Stephanie stopped fighting his grasp.

Anya bent closer toward AJ's face, pressing her fingertips against his lips. She felt a faint puff of air, but had to reassure herself. She pressed her cheek to his face, feeling the distinct rush of air. Heavy tears gathered against her already blurry eyes as she sniffled softly. His head injury had already been serious, two more blows could have been life threatening. All because of her. "Y-Yes... But, please, AJ... Just wake up for a minute..."

"Try that sternum r-rub," Stephanie whispered.

She truly didn't wish to cause him any pain, but knew it was probably her only option. Carefully, she pressed her knuckles into the center of his ribcage, though her lips softly connected against his as she did so. Almost as if she wished to breathe her life into his. "Please, AJ..."

AJ groaned against her lips as his eyes fluttered open. "Anya."

"Please don't move," she murmured toward him, leaning up slightly to catch his dark eyes. "You got yourself into enough trouble because of me already."

"I had to. I couldn't let him take you."

"AJ..."

"I care about you, Anya. And I promised to take care of you and protect you."

"Thank you," she whispered softly for only him to hear, leaning down to brush her lips delicately against his own.

"You're welcome," he whispered back as she kissed him once more.

"And don't you dare do anything that stupid ever again," she warned as he reached to intertwine their fingers, resting their meshed hands against his heart.

"I won't, because now they know they can't take you."

"...I owe you..."

"Just be with me after this, that's all I ask."

"Be with you?"

"Be with me."

"Is he okay?" Kevin voiced loudly, breaking up the sweet moment.

"For now... We'll talk about this later," Anya promised AJ, brushing her fingers lightly against his forehead. "Just rest..."

"You'll be here when I wake up?"

"I promise."

"Just stay here," AJ murmured, pulling Anya closer as he went silent, the pain getting the best of him.

~*~*~*~*~

Anya chewed worried on her thumb as she continued to stare down at AJ's lifeless form resting on her lap. It had been several hours since he last head injury and hadn't woken up since. Blood had seeped through the boxers he let her wear from the two wounds; making her worry. He was growing sicker as the minutes passed. And every second added a percentage in his chances of never waking up again. She could hardly contain the tears crossing down her cheeks as she smoothed her hand over his bruised cheek bone. He didn't even know her, yet he had risked his life for her. Now she would be left completely deserted as her sister rested near death along with him.

"What are we going to do? We've got to get out of here!" Nick repeated what he had said hours ago.

"Go ahead and break down the door, then," Kevin murmured dryly.

"Oh, and get hurt like these two dumbasses? Hell no--"

"Shut your damn mouth, Nick."

"At least they were noble," Anya whispered with obvious hurt, glaring sharply at Nick with a sharp disdain. More hatred reflected in him than those who had hurt her.

"More than we can ever say about you. Would you get shot for someone you care about? Or your skull cracked by the butt of a gun? No, because you're too selfish," Howie added on, reaching over to sharply smack Nick upside the head.

"Not to mention we could selfishly blame you for this whole fiasco, considering you were the one whining to stop for food," Kevin growled.

"But we're not selfish like you, Nick. So we're not going to blame you," Brian added.

"Whatever, doesn't change that shit went down," Nick scowled.

"Do you not even care that AJ might never wake up?" Anya voiced softly.

"Excuse--"

"He's your bandmate. Your brother. And all you're complaining about is getting out of here. If AJ doesn't get medical help... he might never wake up. And you don't care."

"What the Hell are you talking about?" Nick murmured wiwth soft surprise.

"He's bleeding like crazy from his head wounds and his eyes are dialated. The pupils are fixed. He's got serious head trauma, you fucking asshole," Anya seethed, gently continuing to stroke the side of AJ's face. "There's swelling in his brain that isn't able to be released. Which leads to permanent brain damage. Brain cells don't regenerate."

"You're shitting me--"

"I'm going to medical school, dumbass. I know the repercussions of an untreated head injury.'

Nick's skin waned with disbelief as he turned to Kevin like a lost child. "Kevin--"

"She's telling the truth."

"But, AJ--"

"Is badly hurt."

"And it is all my fault, isn't it?

"Nick--"

"It's my fault," Anya interupted.

"What? Anya, don't blame yourself. AJ would have gotten hurt either way," Howie shook his head.

"Not Stephanie, though..."

"You don't know that. Ernie's unstable, it might have happened--"

"It's my fault," Anya insisted.

"No it's not!"

"It'll be my fault when I'm left all alone, too," Anya whispered, glancing away from AJ to find her sister still curled in Kevin's arms. Her breathing had leveled into shallow breaths as her skin continued to pale. She had managed to stop the signifiant flow of blood with her bandaging, but that was nothing compared to the blood probably leaking into her insides. Anya dreaded the thought of her older sister dying.

"You won't be alone--"

"She's the only person I have..."

"But neither one are going to leave us, Anya... they're too strong to give up."

"You don't even know her..."

"She's lasted this long, hasn't she?"

"Yes--"

"Then have faith."

"But--"

"Have faith," Howie stressed as there was a sudden shattering of glass. Everyone jerked in fear as AJ and Stephanie continued to lay limp, pops of gunshots echoing throughout the room. Anya cringed in shock, immediately curling closer to AJ's body for some kind of protection. And the door splintered sharply by a heavy force.

"Holy shit!" Nick yelped as he, Brian and Howie covered their heads. The dust settled and a surge of voices filled their ears.

"It's okay! We're here to help!" a soothing voice called.