- Text Size +
Brent was lying on his bed channel surfing. He muted the television at the soft knock at the door. “Yeah?”

Abby peaked her head into his room. “Casey got hungry so she made dinner. She made enough for all of us to eat.”

“Thanks. I’m gonna go get Nick up. I’ll meet you downstairs.” Brent slipped off his bed and walked to Nick’s door, knocking loudly on the door. When he didn’t answer, Brent quietly opened the door. He saw Nick sleeping in the middle of his big bed. He pushed the door open further and stepped into the room.

When he was standing over Nick’s bed he said, “Nick. It’s dinner time. Wake up.”

Nick didn’t stir. Brent placed his hand on Nick’s bare shoulder to shake him awake. His skin was cold and he still didn’t stir. Brent’s stomach rumbled and he gave up on waking Nick. He shrugged his shoulders and headed for the door. He closed the bedroom door behind him and headed down to the kitchen.

He entered the kitchen. “Hey Brent, where’s Nick?” Abby asked quietly.

“He’s sleeping. He didn’t seem to want to wake up so I let him sleep. He’s had a really rough day so sleep is probably the best thing for him anyway.”

“Yeah.” Casey agreed.

Brent nodded. “Things will probably look different in the morning for him anyway.”

Casey nodded. “You’re right.”

Brent looked at her. “Of course I’m right. He’s my best friend.”

Quiet Abby spoke up. “How do you know Nick?”

Brent laughed. “Our mothers were friends in high school. We have literally been friends since birth.”

Abby’s jaw dropped. “Wow. That’s just…wow.”

Brent smiled. Conversation was dropped as everyone ate in silence.

Once dinner was finished, the three of them cleaned up the kitchen. Then the girls headed into the living room. Brent kept walking. “Hey Brent, you’re welcome to stay with.”

Brent smiled. “Thanks Abby, but no thanks. I’m pretty tired myself, so I’m going to follow Nick’s example of curling up in bed watching TV until I fall asleep. I’ll see you two tomorrow for a, hopefully, less eventful day.”

“Goodnight Brent.” Abby said.

“Goodnight.”

Brent left the room. Casey gave Abby a look. “What?”

“You are totally flirting with him.”

Abby smiled. “So.”

“So. What about Skylar?”

Abby looked down. “I called him the other night and a girl answered his phone. She was kinda out of breath. I called him back the next day and he admitted to cheating on me, so there is no more me and Skylar. I’m free to flirt with Brent.”

The next morning Brent stumbled into the kitchen just before noon. Abby giggled. Brent looked up. “Did you just wake up?”

“Yeah. Have you seen Nick yet?”

“No he hasn’t come down yet.”

“Ok. Well, I’m going to go and wake him up.” Abby nodded and Brent left the room.

He went back upstairs and headed toward Nick’s room. He didn’t even bother knocking. He opened the door and was shocked to find Nick in the same exact position that he was in the night before. That was weird for Nick. Even on a good night, he changes positions a million times while sleeping.

Fear started to spread through Brent’s body. He quickly approached Nick’s bed and tried the same attempts to wake Nick as the night before. When Nick didn’t stir, he started to panic. He tried to keep himself calm and tried to think of ways he used to wake Nick when they were kids. He ran into the bathroom to get a class of cold water. He opened the bathroom door and stopped in shock.

He picked up an empty prescription bottle. He looked around the bathroom and found the bathroom littered with the pills that were supposed to be in the bottle.

Brent gasped. His bottom lip trembled as his mind registered the possibilities of what was going on. He darted out of the bathroom and to Nick’s bed. He catapulted himself onto Nick’s bed and started to search for Nick’s pulse.

He was shaking when he jumped onto Nick’s bed so this made finding Nick’s pulse next to impossible. As more time passed and Brent couldn’t find Nick’s pulse, Brent’s shaking hands began shaking more, if that was even possible.

Trying to hold his tears at bay, Brent ran from the room. He ran into the kitchen and didn’t see Abby or Casey sitting at the kitchen counter.

A few minutes passed and silent sobs racked Brent’s body. Abby and Casey stood up and rested their hands on Brent’s back. “Brent, what’s wrong?”

“I…I think that Nick is…” He took a deep breath. “I think that Nick is dead.”