- Text Size +
Nick entered the kitchen to see his best friend in tears. He couldn’t figure out what could have happened to make Brent cry. “What’s going on in here?” His voice was still hoarse with sleep.

Brent broke away from Abby and Casey and ran to Nick. Nick stumbled when Brent flung himself at Nick. “You’re…you’re alive?”

Nick looked very confused. He felt Brent’s head for a fever. “Of course I’m alive. What is going on with you Brent?”

“I thought you were dead.”

“WHAT?” Nothing would have shocked Nick more. “Where did you get a silly idea like that?”

“When I went to wake you up, you wouldn’t wake up. So I thought of ways I used to wake you when we were kids. I went into your bathroom and found an empty pill bottle and little pills littering your bathroom floor. Then I couldn’t find a pulse, and you weren’t waking up. Oh god Nick, I was so scared that I lost you.” Brent went to hug Nick.

Nick cautiously hugged Brent back while trying really hard not to laugh. He couldn’t hold out much longer and pushed Brent away from him and burst out laughing. He had to sit at the kitchen table otherwise he would have fallen. Now it was Brent’s turn to be confused.

Nick looked at Brent and tried to regain his composure. “Brent, was that some sort of ploy to get me to laugh?”

“What? No, it wasn’t Nick. How could you say such things?”

“Because that was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.”

“Why Nick? How do you explain what I found?”

“I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep after the events of the day, so I got the sleeping pills that were prescribed to me back in November. I took one dosage, I swear. Brent, you know me, I’m a klutz. How I spent so many years dancing around stage without breaking a bone, is COMPLETELY beyond me. My point is that I’m a klutz when I’m not medicated, so just think how klutzy I am when I am medicated. Anyway, after I took the prescribed dosage, I accidentally knocked over the pill container that I forgot to close before taking the medication. I saw the pills go flying all over the place but I really didn’t care. I figured I’d just get my doctor to fill another prescription and left the pills scattered around the bathroom. Ok, I explained the fallen pills, what else do you need explained?”

“Why you didn’t move?”

“I took sleeping pills. You sleep quite soundly with sleeping pills.”

“Why was your skin so cold?”

“I wasn’t wearing a shirt and I wasn’t completely covered by my comforter. And the AC was on full blast. Anything else?”

“You didn’t have a pulse?”

“You were looking in the wrong spot. I swear Brent. I’m alive. The thought of suicide never crossed my mind. I’m sorry I scared you Brent. I swear to you, I am alive.”

“I’m sorry Nick. I guess I really freaked out this time.”

Nick smiled. “You really did.” Brent turned away in humiliation. “Brent.”

He turned back to Nick. “Yeah?”

“After my attempt that almost took my life, and after I had recovered to the point of being thankful that I was still alive, do you remember what I promised you then?” Brent nodded. But Nick continued anyway. “I promised you that if I ever had suicidal thoughts again that I was going to talk to you. I have never broken a promise to you. Why should I start now?”

“I’m really sorry that I freaked out. It’s just; my worst nightmare is discovering that I couldn’t stop you from committing suicide and finding you dead. And this morning, it was like my worst nightmare was coming true.”

As Nick stood up and hugged his best friend, Casey and Abby looked at each other. Abby had tears in her eyes just from watching the two men in front of her and witnessing the strong, bond that they have with each other.

Brent and Nick broke away. Nick noticed the tears in Abby’s eyes. “Abby?”

“I’m sorry Nick. It’s just, I’ve seen women with the type of bond you two have, but I’ve never seen any men with it. That display of emotion and care, and even the hugging, it was really beautiful.” Brent and Nick shared a look. Then burst out laughing. “What? Now what’s funny?”

“Abby, Brent and I were born months apart from each other.”

“2 ½ months to be exact.”

“Our parents were always together so we were always together. We’ve been friends for almost 25 years. Of course we’d have a strong bond.”

Conversation ended there. Brent and Nick went upstairs. They cleaned up Nick’s bathroom and then Brent left the room. Nick called his doctor and asked for a refill of the sleeping pills after explaining to the doctor that he didn’t take many, that he dropped most of them on the floor. Then he jumped into the shower.

After his shower he didn’t feel refreshed. If possible, he felt worse. He shrugged it off and went to go find his 3 roommates. He found them in the living room watching some crappy made for TV movie.

After the movie they ordered Chinese takeout. By the time it came, 3 out of the 4 were ravenous. Nick couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t hungry after skipping dinner the night before, sleeping through breakfast and skipping lunch.

When the food arrived, everyone dug in. Including Nick who was trying to put up a front that he was hungry. Dinner was silent until Nick broke the silence. “You know, you girls are going to be leaving soon.”

Abby looked down. “Yeah.”

“But you don’t have to. You can stay longer if you like.”

Casey looked at Nick. “How much longer?”

“As long as you want.” The girls decided to stay a couple weeks longer.
Now that dinner was finished Nick felt horrible. He had a headache, his throat hurt, he felt cold and worst of all, extremely nauseous. He knew he shouldn’t have eaten the Chinese food.

He quickly excused himself and all but ran to the nearest bathroom. He made it just in time for his Chinese food to make a reappearance. He didn’t even bother going to back to the living room. He just headed straight up for his room. He collapsed on his bed and he was asleep shortly after.

Brent woke up exceptionally early the next morning. He had planned the perfect prank for Nick this morning. It was Nick’s birthday and neither Brent nor Nick allowed the other’s birthday to pass without a birthday prank.

He entered Nick’s room to set up his prank. He stopped in shock when Nick wasn’t in his bed. Then he heard the heaving sounds coming from the bathroom. He left the room until he heard Nick make his way back to bed.

When he was sure Nick was back in bed, he entered the room. “Hey.”

“Hey.” Nick responded weakly.

“Are you ok?”

“I feel like shit.”

“What’s wrong?”

“I somehow managed to get sick while this whole thing with the invitations happened.”

“That sucks man. I’ll let you rest.” Brent turns to rest. “Oh, by the way. Happy Birthday!”

“Yeah, some birthday this will be. I’m stuck in bed on my 25th birthday. Something is really unfair about that.”

Brent smiled weakly. “Rest, I’ll be back later.” He leaves the room while Nick attempts to fall back asleep. Brent walked back to his room and slammed the door behind him.

Abby ran to his room to make sure he was ok. “I’m ok Abby, I’m just mad.”

“About what?”

“Nick doesn’t feel good.”

“So you’re mad at Nick because he doesn’t feel good? That’s not right.”

“No, I’m not mad at Nick, I’m just mad in general. Today’s Nick’s birthday and he’s stuck in bed.”

“Oh yeah. It is Nick’s birthday.” Abby sent Brent a sheepish smile.

Brent started laughing. “Thanks, I needed that.”

“No problem. Casey and I will help you.”

Casey walked into the room at this point. “What am I being volunteered for?”

Abby dove right into the explanation. “Today’s Nick’s birthday AND he doesn’t feel good. So we’re going to help Brent take care of him today.”

“Oh, ok. That’s not too bad. I’ll help.”