- Text Size +
When she was gone, he dialed the number. He held the phone up to his ear waiting for someone to pick up. “Hello?”

“Um…hi.”

“Brent?”

“Yeah.”

Nick was silent for a little bit. “How are you?

“Well, I’ve been better. Um, Abby wants me to come back.”

“Yeah, well, she needs you.” Nick answered in an unsteady voice.

“Ok, I get that Nick, and I wanna come back, really I do. The question is do you really want me back? I mean, come on Nick, you said some nasty shit back there.”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry, and I do fucking want you to come back to the house.”

Brent could hear the anger in Nick’s voice. “What the fuck Nick. I didn’t do anything to warrant you talking to me like that.”

“Look Brent, now is really not the best time to talk. I’m sorry.”

“Nick, man, what’s up? Talk to me buddy.”

Nick took a deep unsteady breath. “Jamie was here.”

“That’s why you were upset before.”

“How’d you know about that?”

“I was on the phone with Abby and she told me you were upset, just not why.”

“Yeah, that’s why.” His voice was soft. “Brent come back.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure. I need you to come back as much as Abby needs you to come back. We all need you back.”

“Not all Nick. Casey doesn’t need me to come back.”

“What are you smoking Brent? Of course Casey needs you to come back. Without you here, she has to deal with both her best friend and her boyfriend moping because we miss you.”

“Moping? Nick you were moping?”

“Ok, so I wasn’t really moping. More like being pissed off and causing problems around the house.”

“Now that’s more like you.”

“Yeah, so when are you coming back?”

“I don’t know.”

“Brent, come on. How much more convincing do I need to do? We want you back here.”

“I know Nick and I’m glad you want me to come back. But I want to spend some more time with my sister; time when I’m not acting like a basket case. I’ll come back in a week.”

“Ok, I’m going to hold you to that.”

“I’ll call you when I have my flight info.”

“Ok.”

“I’ll talk to you soon Nick,”

“Brent wait.”

“What?”

“You know I love you right?”

“Yeah, I know, me too. It means a lot to me that you just told me. I’ll call you. Bye Nick.”

“Bye.”

Casey was lounging on the couch reading a book, when the doorbell interrupted her. She folded the corner of her page and got up to answer the door. She opened the door and wasn’t exactly sure who was standing on the porch.

The older man looked at Casey confused. He turned to his wife who shrugged, then turned back to Casey. “Is Nick home?”

“Yeah, he’s upstairs on the phone. Come in.”

Ginger was looking over Casey. “So which girlfriend are you again? It must have slipped my mind.”

“Excuse me.”

“I know Nick has his fair share of women, so which one are you? You must be the dumbest of them all yet.”

“What?”

Aaron sneered at her. “Are you back for seconds.”

Nick chose that moment to walk into the room. “What the fuck is going on here?”

“Nickolas, watch your mouth.”

“No Dad, I won’t. I come downstairs to hear my family ganging up on my girlfriend. I have a right to be pissed.”

Aaron looked at Nick. “I can’t believe you’re sticking up for your slut.”

Ginger finished. “We were just telling her what to expect from you.”

Casey was biting her tongue. She looked at Nick and could tell that he was really angry.

Nick pointed to Ginger. “You never liked me, so I know why you’re causing shit.” He turned to Aaron. “And you, what is your problem?”

BJ picked that moment to push past the fight. She put an arm around Casey and grabbed Nick’s arm. He looked at her. “Come on Nick,” He followed his sister, who was leading Casey into Nick’s room. BJ let her arm drop from around Casey’s shoulder. She turned to Casey. “Please don’t be offended, but I don’t remember your name. But I do remember you. I liked you immediately when I met you and I remember thinking to myself that you were exactly the type of girl Nick needed. So I’m really happy you two got together. I’m going to go downstairs and yell at them.” BJ left the room. She stood on the top of the stairs watching the scene in the living room.

Leslie and Angel were talking amongst themselves, Ginger and Aaron was standing there with their arms crossed and Bob was standing there, confused, cradling Kanden. She watched as Angel broke away from her conversation with Leslie and marched up to Aaron and smack him hard across the face. BJ stepped off to the side as Angel ran up the stairs. BJ went downstairs.

Nick heard footsteps run up the stairs. He looked up when he felt someone looking at him. “It’s ok Angel, you can come in.”

She entered the room. “Aaron has been a dick ever since you, um, ever since it happened. He’s worried, he just doesn’t want to show it. He’s scared too. We all are.”

“Ever since I what?”

“Since you tried to kill yourself.” Nick looked at her in complete shock. “What?”

“You mean to tell me that you guys haven’t gotten over that yet?”

“Get over it? Nick how can we get over something like that? I still have nightmares about coming home and finding out you tried to kill yourself, or worse, that you succeeded.”

“But you don’t have to worry about that. I’m fine now. I haven’t even thought about attempting suicide for almost a year now.”

“I know, but it still scares us.”

“I’m sorry.”

“We know Nick. Can we talk about something else now?”

“Sure, you can start by telling me what everyone is doing here?”

“Would you believe me if I said quality family time.”

“Not with this family. We can barely go five minutes without a fight erupting.”

“It was Dad’s idea to surprise you. It turned out to be a bad surprise though.”

“No, it would have been a nice surprise if you left Ginger and Aaron home.”

“Very funny Nick.”

“What? I’m serious.”

“You mean to tell me that you don’t want Aaron here.”

“Not if he’s going to act like that. I love him, and that will never change because he is my little brother, but right now, with the way he’s acting, I’m ashamed to admit he’s related to me.”

“Nick, come on. At least you have a family to be protective over you. In his own weird way, he’s showing you he loves you.”

“Casey, how is disrespecting you an act of love?”

“I don’t know. I’m just saying maybe he thinks he’s looking out for you; trying not to hurt you.”

“That is some serious bull right there Casey and you know it. By acting this way, he is hurting me. He’s putting up a front because he wants to act like he doesn’t care, so that way if I do end up killing myself, remember I’m being hypothetical, he can pretend that it isn’t bothering him.”

“Um, Nick, don’t mind me if I seem ignorant, but who is Ginger?”

“Well, the Ginger that is downstairs is our step mother and she has never liked me.”

“And that Aaron has been feeding her lies.”

“How so?”

“You remember the last time we were here.” Nick nodded. “Well, Aaron went home and made it seem like you had a different girl every night and sometimes more than one girl in a day.”

“I don’t even think I had a girl during those couple days.”

“You were living with two female roommates.”

“God, I wasn’t fucking them, no offense Casey, and the living arrangement was only temporary, at the time. I really don’t need my brother fucking lying about me to someone who dislikes me to begin with.” Nick fell back on his bed and groaned in frustration.

Casey moved his arm that was closer to her and lied down next to him. She grabbed his arm to put around her. She rested her head on his chest. “You better not move; I’m comfortable.” Nick kissed the top of her head.

Angel giggled. “You two are so cute. I’m going to leave you two alone to go join the fight downstairs.” She turned and left the room. Then she poked her head back into the room. “Behave, I’m not ready to be an aunt, so I don’t want any nieces or nephews arriving in 9 months.”

Nick reached behind his head, grabbed his pillow and chucked it at his little sister. He screamed after his sister, “You’re already an aunt.” Angel poked her in head in for a final time to stick her tongue out at Nick.

Casey giggled. “I like your sisters Nicky.”

“Yeah, they’re cool. My brother used to be cool.”

“Don’t give up on him.”

“I’m not, but you’ve met him twice and I’m sure he didn’t make a great first impression.”

“Ok, I’ll give you that. Although, I met Kanden, and I must say, he is a cutie.”

“Girls and babies.” Casey smacked his shoulder.

“You’re an uncle?” Casey asked randomly.

He chuckled, “What?”

“You reminded your sister that she already is an aunt. So that means you have an illegitimate child, you are counting your unborn child, or you are an uncle.”

“No, I don’t have an illegitimate child. No I’m not counting my unborn child because my unborn child wasn’t given the opportunity to live. Yes I am an uncle.”

“BJ?”

“No, I have an older sister.”

“You do?”

“Yeah, she lives in New York, just outside of Buffalo. She’s 6 years older than me and has a son.”

“Where outside of Buffalo?”

“Jamestown.”

She lifted her head off his chest to look at him. “What’s her name?”

“Ginger Carter. And before you ask, yes she is married, she kept her last name though.”

“Did she do a lot of volunteer work and a lot of babysitting?”

Nick looked at Casey. “Yeah, how did you know that?”

“First, I need to make you aware that I’m originally from Jamestown. Well, when I was little, I had a babysitter named Ginger, but I’m not sure what her last name was.
She always used to take me to help clean up the playgrounds and that kind of stuff.”

“Would you be able to recognize her if you saw a picture?”

“Probably.”

“Ok.” Nick gently pushed her up and went to his desk where his laptop was. He looked around his pictures on his computer until he found a picture of him and Ginger from when he was 12. “Ok, completely disregard the awkward kid in the picture with her, that’s just me at 12.”

She laughed and then glanced at the picture. She gasped. “That’s her.”

“Wow, that’s cool. Maybe I should get her to come for a visit.”

“Yeah, that’d be wicked.”

“Ok then. Hand me the phone.” Casey jumped off his lap and grabbed the cordless that was resting beside his bed. He dialed the 10 digit number he knew so well and waited for his sister to pick up. “Hey Gin.”

“Hey little brother, it’s been awhile.”

“Yeah, I know. I’ve been pretty busy. I have a proposition for you. How much of your schedule can you free up?”

“Whoa! Where’d that come from?”

“I miss you and I want you to come see me in Florida. Also I want you to meet someone.”

“A certain special someone? Has Nicky got a girlfriend?”

He smiled. “Maybe. You’ll just have to come to Florida to find out.”

“When?”

“Whenever you can get free.”

“Um, my vacation starts tomorrow Nicky.”

“So come tomorrow.”

“I’ll be there. We’ll be on the next flight.”

“Great, then I’ll see you tomorrow.” He hung up the phone. “She’ll be here tomorrow, most likely with her husband and son.”

“Oh my god. It’s been so long.”

“Yeah, I’m sure it has. You’re not going to freak out on me are you?”

“No. Why would I do such a thing?”

“So you aren’t going to go crazy with silly thoughts like what if she doesn’t remember me? And other such what ifs?”

“No. If she doesn’t remember me, that will be ok.”

The conversation seemed to die down a bit, but it was a comfortable silence. “I think my family left.”

“Well, let’s go watch a nice relaxed movie babe?”

“Sounds good, but let’s stay up here.”

They put in the movie and cuddled together on Nick’s bed. About a half hour into the movie the phone rang. He reached blindly for the phone and answered. “Yeah?”

“Are you busy?”

“No, just watching a movie.”

“Can you be at the airport by 7?”

“Yeah, but if I’m not there by 7:15, that means I fell asleep on the movie and you’ll have to call me to wake me up.”

“Don’t you dare fall asleep.”

“I can’t promise that.”

“Arrg. You’re useless.”

Casey was struggling to get comfortable. “Nicky, lie back down. I’m not comfy anymore.”

“Oh Nicky. Who is that?”

“Well, I better go so I can watch the movie. I’ll see ya at the airport. Love ya.”

“No Nick don’t you dare hang up this phone. I want to know…” Nick hung up the phone and lied back down so Casey would get comfortable again.

“I have to pick them up at 7.”

Casey looked to Nick and smiled. “Ok.”

They turned their attention to the movie. Soon Nick felt himself drifting off. He tried to stay awake so that he wouldn’t be late, but he fell asleep anyway.

“Nicky. Nickolas, wake up. You’re going to be late?”

“What?” He asked groggily.

“Wake up. It’s almost 7:00.”

“7. Ok.” He closed his eyes and was falling back to sleep.

“Nickolas.” He wouldn’t wake up. “Oh fine.” She climbed on the bed and straddled him, kissing him hard until he responded. Once he started responding, she jumped off him and he opened his eyes to glare at her. “It is now 7 o’clock. You are officially late.”

“Holy shit, why didn’t you wake me up sooner?”

“I tried, you wouldn’t budge.”

He grinned sheepishly. “Sorry.” Once he had his shoes on he grabbed his keys and headed out the door.

He entered the airport and looked around. He spotted Ginger holding her son’s hand while she fished in her pocket book for her phone. “There’s no reason to call my house. You won’t reach me there.”

Ginger turned around. “It’s almost 20 after.”

“I’ve actually been circling the parking lot for the past 5 minutes.”

“So that means you are STILL 15 minutes late. You fell asleep didn’t you?” He bit his bottom lip and nodded. “Didn’t I tell you that you better not fall asleep?”

“Yes, but I also said I couldn’t promise that.”

“I know, but you were the one who wanted me to come up so bad.” Nick gave her his best puppy dog face. “I GIVE UP! So, where is this mystery person you wanted me to meet so badly.”

“Not here.”

“OH NICKOLAS. It is obvious that she isn’t HERE. So where is she?”

“At home, probably wondering why we’re taking so long.”

“At home, her house waiting for you to call, or at home your house.”

“At home, OUR house.”

“You live with this girl already? Where the hell was I when you got into a serious relationship?”

“Well, it, uh…it started out as a friendship.”

“I could have told you that. How long have you been with her?”

He shrugged. “Couple months.”

“Aren’t you moving kinda fast?”

“Nope.”

“A couple months and you already live together. Seems fast to me.”

“Yeah, well, we were living together first. It took us forever to start going out. Plus, she has seen me at some of my most vulnerable times.”

“No offense Nicky, but she’s seen you at your vulnerable times and is still with you?

“Oh, just friggin bite me would ya?”

“You better get to your house in record time because I wanna meet this girl and now.”

“Yeah, yeah. Relax will you. She’ll still be there.” He paused slightly. “Hopefully forever.”

“Oh, you didn’t tell me you were in love.”

“You didn’t ask. But yes, I am in love and things are looking up for me now.”

“Good, I’m glad you’re happy again. I don’t like you depressed.

“Nobody does.”

“Why are we still standing around this airport? To your house and fast. I have a girlfriend of yours to attack.”

“Well, then get in the damn car.”

“Ok, ok.”

Once everything and everyone was loaded into the car, Nick started home. 15 minutes later, they pulled into the driveway. “Nicky, leave our bags in the car. I want to meet your girlfriend first.”

Nick led them to the house and opened the door. Tommy, Ginger’s son, immediately started playing with Nick’s puppy that just rounded the corner. “So where is she?”

“Like I said, she’s here. Unless she heard you say that you are anxious to meet her and scared her off.” He moved to right by the staircase.

“Well now, maybe it’s your freak of nature style that scared her away. Maybe someone knocked some sense into her.”

“If I’m a freak of nature, what do you think that makes you?”

“The freak’s older sister?

“Well, sure, if you’re gonna get technical. But that would only work had I not shadowed you whenever we were together. Sorry big sis, if I’m a freak, that makes you worse, since I learned from you.”

“Yeah, but you were the test subject. Geez Nicky. I would have thought you had figured that out by now.”

“So if I’m the test subject, what would that make you? The psychotic scientist?”

“Most definitely.”

“I’m amazed that so many parents trusted you to baby-sit their young children, you know with you being psychotic and all.”

“Hey bab…aahhh.” Nick turned around in enough time to see Casey stumble. He quickly grabbed her to steady her. Casey regained her balance in Nick’s arms and looked up. She smiled at him then quickly kissed his nose. “Just in time babe. The cookies are still warm.”

“Cookies? Why’d you make cookies?”

“Just thought it’d be nice. You didn’t want me to?’

“It was a nice gesture, but you didn’t have to. You don’t have to work at impressing anybody.”

Ginger cleared her throat behind Nick. “Uh Nick. Aren’t you going to introduce me to your friend?”

“Why, you’ll corrupt her. If you haven’t already.”

Tommy stuck his head around Ginger’s leg. “Uncle Nicky, whose she?”

Casey broke away from Nick and knelt down to Tommy’s level. “Hi. I’m Casey. I’m a really close friend to your Uncle Nicky.”

“You mean you kiss and smootch like mommy and daddy?’

Nick looked at Tommy wide eyed. “Whoa little man, where do you hear this? Have you been talking to Uncle Aaron?”

“Nick, enough. Tommy go play.”

“Ok Mommy.”

Casey approached Ginger. “Hi, I’m Casey.”

Ginger hugged Casey tightly. “Thank you for making him happy again.” Ginger pulled back to look at Casey. “You are very pretty. What can you POSSIBLY see in my freak of a brother?”

“He’s not a freak, just a hopeless romantic.”

“HE is still in the room you know.” Ginger and Casey continued to ignore him. He walked up to Casey and put his arms around her waist. Casey smacked his hands off her waist. He removed his arms. “I’m going to go hang out with Tommy.”

“You do that. At least it will be someone up to your par.” Nick didn’t justify that with a response. He glared at Ginger then left the room. Ginger giggled. “Oops, I think I went a little far with that retort.” She looked at Casey. “Why do you look so familiar?”

“You used to be my baby-sitter.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah.”

Ginger thought about it. “Impossible. I’ve never baby-sat a girl named Casey.”

“I changed my name. It used to be Lindsay.”

“You can’t be that girl who used to come with my to my NYPIRG (New York Public Interest Research Group) meetings.”

“Yep, and we cleaned up the playgrounds too. Do you remember?

Ginger looked at Casey closely. “Oh my god, I do remember you. We really do live in a small world.” Ginger pauses. “Wait a minutes, aren’t you too young for my brother.”

“Uh, maybe…wait, no way…age is only a number. You taught me that.”

Ginger giggled. “Oh yeah, I did teach you that. Just out of curiosity, how much younger are you?”

“6 years.”

“Eh, not so bad. I was either making Nick older than he is or making you younger, because I was thinking there was like 10 years between you or something.”

“Nope.”

Ginger looked over at Nick and bit her lower lip.

“Why are you looking at me like that Ginger?”

“Damn it Nick. How the hell did you even know I was looking at you? Your back is to me.”

“I can feel the holes you’re burning in my damn back. She’s right you know, age is only a number.”

“No swearing around my son Nickolas.”

“Aww, he isn’t even listening to me.”

“Have I ever mentioned how much you frustrate me?”

“Yep, but have I told you how much I don’t give a shit?”

“Nickolas mouth.”

“Geez. I didn’t know that this place was a nunnery.” Casey stood up and went over to where Nick was sitting. She sat on his lap and rested her head on his shoulder. Nick yawned. “I think I’m going to head to bed. You two can stay down here and talk.”

“Nah, I’m gonna go to bed too.” Casey announced. The three of them stood up and headed off to bed.

The next morning, Casey walked out of Nick’s room as Ginger was walking down the hall. Ginger stopped short as she saw Casey come out of Nick’s room. “Did you just come out of Nick’s room?”

“Uhh…ummm…why?”

“Are you sure you two aren’t moving too fast?”

“Hey now. I never said I slept in his room.”

Ginger gave Casey a confused look. “If you weren’t sleeping in there what were you doing in there at 9 in the morning.”

“I’m pleading the fifth.”

“Tell me.”

“Why? So you can judge us like Aaron and the other misses?” Casey paused and cleared her throat. “I’m sorry. That didn’t come out right.”

“I’m not going to judge you. A blind person can see that you make him happy. I’m afraid you two are moving too fast. Please, tell me why you were in my brother’s room.”

“I sleep in there sometimes. It makes me feel…safe.”

Ginger nodded. “You two confuse me. I’m going to go make breakfast.”

“How do we confuse you? I’ll help.”

“A couple minutes ago, you got defensive saying you didn’t sleep in his room, but then you said you did sleep in his room. Should we make enough food for Nick too? I personally think we shouldn’t.”

“Well, it’s just that Aaron was totally disrespecting him because of us. Nah, no food for Nicky.” Ginger stared at Casey in shock. “What? He can make his own damn food.”

“Ok then, you deal with the puppy dog look when he does wake up to no food prepared for him.”

“Been there, done that, got the hate that goes with the shirt too.”

“Ok then. Let’s make breakfast.”

“Ok.”

After they ate, they stayed in the kitchen talking until Ginger looked at the clock and noticed it was noon. “Is it weird that he isn’t awake yet?

“Um, yeah. Maybe we should check on him?”

“We probably should.” Ginger and Casey went up to Nick’s room. She turned to Casey. “You go in.”

“Sure.” She pushed the door open a bit. “Hey Nicky, are you awake?” When her question was met with silence she pushed the door open wider to see him smoking on the balcony. Casey went to the door that leads onto the balcony, followed by Ginger. “Morning Nicky.” Nick turned and saw Casey and Ginger coming out onto his balcony. He flicked his half used cigarette off the balcony. “Wow, is Nick Carter finally gonna give up smoking?”

“Uh, smoking? Oh yeah…over and done with.”

“Bullshit Nicky, I know you can’t just quit like that and you’ll be sneaking out here to smoke when you think I’m not paying attention.”

“Yeah, I…uh…no you’re right.”

“If you aren’t planning on stopping why didn’t you just finish your cigarette?” Ginger questioned.

“Uh, ‘cause I know you don’t like to see me smoke.”

“I’m not going to force you, but do you think you can try to stop smoking?” Casey asked.

“I’ll try. I can’t promise you that I’ll succeed, but I promise you I will try. Actually, I’d like to take a shower right now, so can you two ladies go somewhere else to gossip?”

“Sure.” Casey and Ginger left his room to give him the privacy he asked for. “Ginger.” Casey asked nervously.

“Yeah sweetie?”

“Can I talk to you about something?”

“Sure what is it?”

“Um, well…um, a…um.”

“Are you ok? What is it?”

“I’m scared.”

“Scared of what?”

Casey took a deep breath. “A couple months ago, Nick and I were, um, you know, and the condom broke. I didn’t think anything of it, but I haven’t been feeling well, and I’m late and I’m scared.

“Wow, um, does he know?”

Casey shook her head. “Not yet.”

“Well, you have to let him know that there’s a possibility. Do you even know for sure?”

“No, my doctor’s appointment is this afternoon.”

“Well, I can keep him busy with Tommy.”

“I want you to come with me.”

“Ok, then I’ll get Tommy to get him involved in a game of hide and go seek.”

Casey hugged Ginger. “Thank you for not judging me.”

“Not a problem girl.”

After Ginger heard the shower shut off, she waited a few minutes before sending Tommy upstairs to distract Nick. Casey and Ginger left for Casey’s doctor’s appointment. Soon after, he put Tommy down for his nap and did his laundry. While doing his laundry, he found some of Casey’s clothes mixed with his so he put them in her room. In her room, he accidentally knocked over a pile of papers. He was shocked at what he found. He went back to his room and got lost in thought.

“Hey Nick. We’re back. We have some good news too.” Casey screamed to Nick. Nick left his room and sat on top of the stairs waiting to be noticed.

“I wonder where he is.”

“I don’t know. NI…” Casey looked up the stairs and saw Nick. “Why are you sitting up there?”

“Why didn’t you tell me?’

“Tell you? I just found out myself.”

“Impossible. There’s no way you could have possibly just found out.”
“What are you talking about?”

“What do you think I’m talking aobut?”

“My doctor’s appointment.”

“Doctor’s appointment? What doctor’s appointment? What are you talking about?”

“I…I just found out that I’m pregnant Nick. What are you talking about?”

“The threats that were piled by your bed.”

“Threats? Why…what were you doing in my room?”

“I was returning your laundry that managed to get mixed up with mine.”

“I don’t care! You still had no right to look through my mail and personal papers.”

Ginger rested her hand on Casey’s back to soother her. “Casey, calm down. It’s not good for you to get this stressed.”

“I know Ginger.”

“Wait, back this up a bit. Why isn’t it good for her to get ‘this stressed out’?” He used his hands to imitate quotations.”

“Weren’t you listening to a word I said? I’m pregnant.”

“What? When? How’d that happen?”

“Do I need to draw you a diagram Blondie? How do you think it happened?”

“No, I mean, we were protected…weren’t we?”

“It broke.”

“Ok, that still doesn’t explain the damn threats you’ve been hiding.”

“You still haven’t explained what you were doing looking through my stuff.”

“I wasn’t looking, well not technically. I accidentally knocked it over, and came across it when I was picking it up.”

“Just because you knocked something over doesn’t mean you have to look at what you knocked over.

“I know, but it’s kinda hard not to when it’s addressed to Lindsay, and there’s not really anybody that knows you’re here.”

“You shouldn’t have been in my room to begin with.”

“I don’t have time for this right now. I have to get ready for my concert tonight.”

“Yeah, go ahead, runaway. By the way, I’m not going.”

“Why? Do you like pissing me off?”

“Yeah, maybe I do. But what do you care?”

“So you think I don’t care about you?”

“Hey I never said that. But while we’re on the topic do you?”

“How can you even ask me that?”

“Isn’t it friggin obvious?”

“No it isn’t.”

“It…You know what? Go to hell!”

Nick clenched his jaw in hopes to keep from crying. He took a shaky breath. “Everything is in your hands right now. Including our relationship.”

“Do we even have one right now? You know what, if I’m here, when you get back you know where we stand.”

Nick nodded and headed to his room, hoping that neither Casey or Ginger saw the tears that escaped from his eyes.

“Casey, you don’t mean that.”

“Yes I do.”

“How? I mean, just a little while ago, he was everything to you. You guys are gonna be parents.”

“You’re point? I thought he was ready, but now I’m not too sure.”

“Why aren’t you sure?”

Nick came downstairs with a bag packed for his show on his shoulder. “I’m leaving now.” He announced quietly.

“Wait, little bro, Tommy wants to go with you.”

“Um, I don’t have anyone who can watch him when I’m on stage.”

“Well, me and Casey will go to then. Right Casey?”

“You can go. I have no reason to be there.”

“Sure you do Casey. You have every reason to be there. So are you coming?” Ginger asked.

“Fine, but only to hang out with Tommy.”

“Are we going separately or together.” Nick asked.

“Separate. I will not be in the same car as you.”

“Do you hate me that much?”

“I’m not justifying that with an answer.”

“You just gave me your answer.” He turns to leave.

“Grow up Nickolas. Fathers need to be grown up before the children.”

“I have to grow up? You mean for going to leave. Well guess what? I’m late for work, so answer this, how is leaving being childish?

“Leaving isn’t what I’m talking about. It’s the way you’re handling this.”

“How the hell am I supposed to take this? This morning, I woke up happy and in love, and now, I don’t know if I’ll even have a girlfriend when I go to sleep tonight.”

“Well, you’ll figure it out, now won’t you?”

He sighed. “Let’s just go to the damn concert. I just want this night to end.”

“You can go. Remember we are going separately.”

“I know. See ya there?”

“You won’t see me.”

Nick left for the concert. He went through the motions of his pre-show rituals until he found himself on stage in front of his audience. About half way through the show, a fan threw a teddy bear up onto the stage that Nick was unaware of. He tripped over the teddy bear. As he was regaining his balance, his foot got caught on a wire that was supposed to be taped to the stage. As he fell, his foot got tangled causing him to fall at an awkward angle and land heavily on his mic pack that was hooked to the back of his pants.