- Text Size +
Casey was sitting on Nick’s couch crying. Ginger entered the living room. “Well, he’s resting as comfortably as he can get with a severely bruised tailbone and a torn muscle in his leg.

Casey took a deep breath. “And it’s ALL because of me. I know that already.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“It is. He wasn’t concentrating.”

“Casey, he tripped over a teddy bear; that has nothing to do with concentration. Why do you feel this is your fault?”

“Because I made him mad, he would have seen it if he wasn’t so mad at me.”

“Not necessarily.”

“How can you say that? I made him upset, angry and I made him think I was breaking up with him. There’s no way he had enough concentration to not trip over that teddy bear. And it’s all my fault.”

“Well, go talk to him. He wants you up there with him.”

“I don’t see how or why he’d want me up there.”

“Just go see him.”

“I can’t.”

“You can. You know you can. He needs you right now.”

“I’ll only hurt him.”

“The only way you will hurt him right now is to not go see him.”

“But…”

“But nothing. Didn’t you tell me you only felt safe with him?” Casey nods. “Then go to him.”

“Fine, but if anything happens it’s your fault this time.”

Casey stood up and slowly went upstairs to Nick’s room. She took a deep breath before she opened his door and quietly slipped in. She stayed in the corner of his room closest to the door, completely opposite to where Nick was lying.

Nick’s eyes were closed, but he could still feel Casey’s presence in the room. He opened his eyes to assess where in the room she was. “Casey, are you going to do anything other than stand in the corner starring at me?”

“What do I say? I mean this is all my fault.”

“It isn’t your fault. Now get over here.”

She cautiously approached his bed. “I’m so sorry I never told you.”

“It’s ok.”

“No, it’s not ok. I’m just so, so sorry. All I ever do is cause you pain.”

“No you don’t.” He moved so he could see Casey better, he winced in pain at the slight movement.

“Can…can we not argue anymore. I’m just so sorry.”

Nick nods. “Can you just answer something for me first?”

“What is it?”

“Why are you blaming yourself for this?”

“Because if you weren’t so mad at me, it never would have happened.”

“This would have still happened.

“You don’t know that. I mean…I don’t know anymore.”

“I do know that. Because I know how to leave my personal stuff off stage. I wasn’t thinking about our fight. I was just thinking that I had a show to do and an audience to please. I was in the same mind frame as if we didn’t fight right before the argument.

“Ok, fine. Let’s drop it ok?”

“Consider it dropped.”

“Thank you. Now can I lay down with you?”

“Just don’t hold me too tightly.”

“Ok.” She gets into bed with him and accidentally kicks his injured leg. He tries really hard not to wince or voice pain. He couldn’t do it and let out a small whimper. “Oh no. I’m so sorry. I should go in my own bed.”

“No stay.”

“But what if I hurt you again?”

“I want you to stay. Just be careful.”

“I will. I promise.”

Nick tried to get comfortable. When he discovered that every position he was once comfortable in are now uncomfortable due to his injury, he gave up. He groaned in pain and frustration.

“What?” Do you need something?”

“No, I just can’t get comfortable. Every position I usually fall asleep in is uncomfortable.”

“Can you cuddle? That might help.”

“I dunno.” He answered in a voice laced with pain.

“When did you take your pain killers?”

“I think only at the hospital.”

“Can you take some more? Or is that too many?”

“Too many.”

“Oh ok, well let’s relax and watch a movie.”

“Watch a movie I can do. Relaxing might be easier said than done.”

“Do you want me to rub your shoulders?”

“Will that require moving?”

“Um, not if you don’t want to move. I can rub them from here.”

“It’s not that I don’t want to move, I just don’t think I can without hurting too much.”

“Well, don’t move. I’ll do it from here.” Casey repositioned herself to rub his shoulders.

“Are you sure that won’t be too uncomfortable for you?”

“I’m sure. It’s you I’m worried about.”

“Why are you worried about me?”

“Well, let’s just say it’s the subject we dropped earlier.”

“Ok you. I’m on pain killers, which means my mind is clouded right now. No talking in riddles. Please tell me why you are worried about me so I can make you stop worrying.”

“Because of our fight. I just want you to know I don’t doubt us.”

“I know you don’t doubt us.”

“I just wanted to make sure because of what I…”

Nick interrupted her. “If I could turn around and kiss you, I would just to shut you up. I don’t doubt us.”

“Ok.”

“You aren’t allowed to worry. You need to keep my baby safe and healthy.”

“I…I can’t help it but worry.”

“Baby, please stop worrying.”

Casey momentarily stopped rubbing Nick’s shoulders to put the movie on. She got into bed and continued trying to relax Nick. “Nick, are we ok?”

“I think we are. Casey, if I could, I would turn around and show you how much I love you.”

“I love you too Nicky.”

They settled into the bed to watch the movie. Half-way through the movie, Casey turned to tell Nick something to find that he fell asleep. She snuggled into his chest, careful not to hurt him.

The next morning, Casey carefully climbed out of bed. She did what she had to in the bathroom, then she went downstairs to start breakfast.

When the food was prepared, she put a serving on a tray to bring up to Nick. When she entered his room, she was shocked to find him cautiously walking back to bed. “What are you doing out of bed?”

“I needed to use the bathroom.”

“Ok. You are allowed out of bed for that. Do you want help?”

“No. I made it to the bathroom alone. I can make it back to bed alone.”

She bit her lower lip as she watched him walk slowly to his bed, using the wall and furniture as a walking aid. When he reached the bed, she helped him get comfortable. She placed his tray of food on his lap. “Do you need anything else?”

“My pain killers.”

“You were just in the bathroom and you didn’t take them?”

“I didn’t want to remain standing for longer than necessary and I knew you or Ginger would be up here to check on me.”

“Ok, I’ll get them for you.” She walked toward the bathroom. Before she went into the bathroom, she approached his side of the bed. She kissed him softly, “I love you.”

She started to walk away, he reached out and grabbed her wrist and pulled her back gently. He pulled her into a sweet kiss. “I love you and I have no doubt in us. Remember that. You have nothing to worry about. When you return with my pain killers, we need to talk. It is nothing bad, so don’t worry. We just need to talk before my brain becomes foggy.”

She nodded then disappeared into the bathroom. She re-emerged seconds later with his pain killers. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Are you happy about carrying my child?”

She nods eagerly. “I will admit though, I had wanted to wait until I was older and more settled, but I wouldn’t trade being pregnant now for anything. Are you happy?”

“Absolutely. Ever since I met you, I have dreamed of you having my babies. Granted, like you I was expecting it much later. But I have no problem with now.”

“I love you Nick.”

“I love you too Casey.” Casey repositioned herself so that she could kiss him without hurting him and making herself uncomfortable.

It was a very passionate kiss, and they didn’t even hear the doorbell. Their kiss was interrupted when Nick’s bedroom door opened. “Damn you two.” He looked at Nick. “You’re injured and yet you are still making out with your girlfriend.”

Nick looked at the door and smiled. “Brent, what are you doing here? I thought you weren’t going to come back for a few days.”

“I wasn’t planning on it, but then you got hurt.”

“You didn’t have to come back. I tripped over a teddy bear. I’ll be fine in a little over a week.”

“Yes, but in New York, I wasn’t aware that you only tripped over a teddy bear.”

“I’m sorry, I’m on pain killers; I didn’t think to call you.”

“Not a problem Nick. I thought something serious happened to you.” Nick gave him a confused look. “I was reading this morning’s paper, and on the front page of the entertainment section there was a headline, ‘Freak accident lands Nick Carter in hospital.’”

“Freak accident? Yeah it was an accident but it definitely was not a freak accident.”

“And as for the hospitalization portion, we took him to the emergency room when we discovered that he couldn’t stand up on his own. We were there for like 2 or 3 hours, but he was never admitted.”

“If you wanted to spend some more time with your sister, you could have. You could have just called.”

“I was going to call. But then I realized that I’d be completely freaking out on whoever answered the phone so I needed time to calm down so when I dialed, I dialed the airport and got a flight here. Figuring that would give me enough time to calm down before I got here.”

Abby, who had been helping out a friend of hers for the past couple days and just got back and filled in on what happened, entered Nick’s room. She didn’t notice Brent and walked right past him. “Hey Nick, how are you feeling?”

Nick gave her a look. He chuckled, “how do you think I feel?”

She giggled. “Oops, stupid question.”

Nick looked at Brent and saw that he wanted to say something to Abby but he was nervous. Nick turned his attention back to Abby. “Hey Abby, turn around.”

She gave Nick a baffled look but turned around anyway. “BRENT.” She walked up to him and flung herself into his arms. “I’ve missed you so much.”

He returned her hug and realized just how much he missed holding her. He was filled with the same feelings while holding Abby that he had when Abby told him that she loves him. He looked over to Nick and saw that him and Casey were cuddling and talking quietly and kissing each other in between words. He kept looking at them, and then turned to Abby, “Is it just me, or are they more in love now than when I left?”

“It isn’t you. They seem more in love to me too and I was only gone for like 3 days as opposed to your couple months.” Abby smirked at Brent, then she said. “Ok, you two, besides that fact that Nick is injured, you have company.”

Casey smirked back. “I love him, therefore I am going to show him. She purposely turned around and kissed him.

Abby pretended to gag. “You loved him when I left but you weren’t this lovey.”

Casey threw the pillow that Nick wasn’t using to lean against at Abby.
“Something changed.”

“What changed?”

“Part of him is growing inside of me.”

Abby gave her a “duh” look. “You love him, of course he’s part of you.”

Casey shook her head. “Not what I mean.”

“Then what do you mean?”

Casey giggled. “I’m pregnant. So, literally, part of him is growing inside of me.”

Abby squealed and ran to pull Casey into a hug. After she released her, she ran to the other side of the bed and hugged Nick gently. “That’s so great.”

Brent followed Abby’s example. He hugged Casey then hugged Nick. “Congratulations. I’m really happy for you.” The four friends fell into a friendly conversation of teasing and laughing.

Ginger knocked on the door and let herself in. “Hey Nick. The venue sent over the teddy bear that you tripped on.”

Ginger gave him the bear. He chuckled. “So, this is the culprit responsible for my injury. It is actually kinda cute.” He looked at the bear a little closer. “Hey, it has a note.” He took the note out of the envelope and read it to himself.

Nick,
Hey fagstreet boy. Looking forward to another encounter? I sure am.
Jamie


Behind the note, there were pictures from the night that Jamie raped Nick. Color drained from Nick’s face and he whimpered.

Casey, Brent and Abby looked at the note and pictures. “Nick, give the pictures and note to me. I’m going to the police station.” Nick nodded and handed over the papers. Casey made sure to stay in physical contact with Nick.

Brent gave Nick’s shoulder an affectionate squeeze and left. He left the house and went straight to the police station. He was at the station for awhile, but he got a lot done. He was able to file a rape report and get a restraining order. The officer he spoke to didn’t want to do it without Nick’s presence, but Brent calmly explained that Nick was injured and couldn’t be there. Satisfied at what he got down at the police station he got in his car to go home. On his way home he passed drug store. At the last minute, he entered the parking lot, got what he wanted and left.

He got home to find Nick, Abby, Casey and Ginger right where he left them. Abby got up off the chair she was sitting on so Brent could sit. Once he was settled, she sat on his lap. “Brent, what’s in the bag?” Abby peered in and took out one of the object and realized that they were all the same. “5 cans of mase?”

“With Nick getting threatened, I was only going to buy 1, but the 3 of us live here too, so that might put us in danger. And Ginger.”

“I’m getting threats too.” Casey spoke up quietly.

Abby snapped her head toward Casey. “You what?”

“I think my father knows where I am.”

Abby gasped. “Oh, no.”

Nick, who looked like he was falling asleep, opened his eyes. “We need to seriously tighten security around here.”

“There’s already 5 guards guarding the house.”

“We need to at least triple the guards.”

Abby went pale. “Um, guys? What if this Jamie person who is after Nick has teamed up with Casey’s father?”

“That doesn’t make sense Abby.”

“Yeah it does Casey. It might not be likely or true, but it is something we should look out for.”

~*~


Jamie entered the apartment that he was currently sharing with Jim and angrily slammed the door shut behind him.

Jim entered the room, sharpening a knife. “What got your panties all in a knot?”

“Fucking security guards. I can’t get near the house.”

“I thought you said there was only 5 guards around the house?”

“I did. Because at the time there was only 5 guards. Now, they must suspect
something because I was just there and there was like 30 something guards. They were everywhere.”

Jim stepped up to Jamie and held the knife up to Jamie’s neck. “You swore to me that guards weren’t a problem.”

“A few guards isn’t a problem, but I can’t take on an entire army.”
Jim relaxed a bit. “True. We need a new plan.”