- Text Size +
It was a couple weeks after his accident. He no longer needed his pain killers and he no longer needed to stay in bed. He was still limping but as long as he didn’t do too much consecutive walking, he’d be fine. Ginger, who had stayed longer than she initially planned to help take care of Nick, left when Nick was feeling better.
He had been awake for about five minutes, starring at Casey who was sleeping next to him. He watched her for a few more minutes before getting up to use the bathroom.
He finished in the bathroom and entered his room. He smiled at Casey, who was still sleeping. He quietly went to his desk, opened a drawer and pulled out a small box. After checking that Casey was still asleep, he left the room.
He walked downstairs and saw Brent and Abby fast asleep on the couch, cuddling. He smiled and entered the kitchen. The first thing he did was make himself a bowl of cereal.
When he was done eating, he went into a cabinet and took out 14 packets of sugar. On one side of each packet her wrote one letter, on the other side he wrote numbers. Then he began making breakfast. When the food and coffee were done, he put the food, coffee, and sugar packets on the tray. The sugar packets were all facing so the numbers were visible.
He took the tray of food up to Casey. He was happy to find that Casey was already awake. He placed the tray of food on her lap.
“Oh, Nick, what’s this for?”
“I just wanted to make sure you knew how much I love you.”
“You didn’t have to do all this. I know you love me.” She looked at the tray with a look of delight. He made all of her favorite foods for breakfast. She then spotted the packets of sugar, and her face scrunched up in confusion. “What’s with all the sugar packets? And why did you write a set of numbers on them?”
“The first number represents what word the letter on the other side is from and the second number represents the letter.” She gave him a blank stare. “Pick up a packet and tell me the number combination.”
She did so. “Three two.”
“Third word second letter.” Casey nodded and set about putting the packets in order while picking on her breakfast. When she had them all in order, she flipped them over. She gasped in surprise when she flipped over the last packet. The packets spelt out “Will you marry me?”

~*~
Downstairs

Abby woke up in Brent’s arms and snuggled into his chest. Brent, who was already awake, tightened his hold on her. She turned in his arms and kissed him. They broke apart. “I missed waking up in your arms.”
“I missed holding you. I’m glad we got back together.”
“Me too. I love you.” She kissed him. Their stomachs rumbled and they broke apart giggling.
“What do you say we order take out?”
“I like that idea.”
“We should ask Nick and Casey what they want.”
“I’m hungry. Let’s go.”
They went upstairs and Brent opened Nick’s bedroom door without knocking.
Casey screamed and grabbed the sheet to cover her naked chest.
Nick’s face was red. Casey couldn’t tell if the redness was from their passion or from anger. “God Brent. Don’t you knock?”
“It’s the middle of the afternoon. I wasn’t expecting you two to be about to have sex.”
“It doesn’t matter. The door was closed. Learn to knock when the door is closed.”
“I’m sorry Nick.”
“Turn around.”
Brent and Abby turned around. Nick leaned off the bed and grabbed his boxers and t-shirt. He put his boxers on and handed Casey his t-shirt.
“Nick?”
“Put it on. I can’t reach your shirt.” Casey nodded and put his shirt on. Then she giggled. “Why are you giggling?”
“Because, I’m going to have to start stealing your shirts, they are comfortable.”
Nick pulled her to him and began tickling her.
“Can we turn around yet?” Brent asked.
“If you must.” They turned around. Nick was now leaning against the headboard and Casey was leaning against Nick, engulfed in his shirt. “Now, what did you want?”
“We are ordering takeout. We just wanted to know what you want.” Nick and Casey told them. Brent and Abby left.
Nick and Casey continued from where they were interrupted so that they could have their release.
Nick and Casey joined Brent and Abby just as the takeout arrived.
The four friends talked amiably as they ate. The table was shocked into silence when Abby squealed. Brent broke the silence. “What’s wrong Abby?”
“Casey, is that an engagement ring?”
Casey looked at her ring and grinned widely. Then she looked at Nick. Anyone could see the love and devotion in her eyes. “It sure is.”

~*~
5 Months Later

Casey was true to her word, and wore Nick’s clothes more often. She even substituted his clothes for maternity clothes. Nick would chuckle and then kiss her every time he saw her wearing his clothes, which was practically every day.
Casey noticed a slight change in Nick. Over the past months, she noticed that he was smoking less. When she questioned him, he replied that he was trying to quit for the baby. He hadn’t quite kicked the habit, but he can now go several hours before he needed a nicotine fix. Before, he needed to smoke at least once or twice in an hour. Casey was really proud of him. Even though he hadn’t completely quit, she was proud that he was trying and that he was able to cut down.
Over the past 5 months, the threats were intensifying. Casey is now 7 months pregnant and seriously worried about the pending threats. In hopes of having one day that is not filled with fear, Brent, Abby, Nick and Casey went to the county fair.
They arrived at the Fair and paid their way in. At the entrance was a grouping of novelty shops. Nick had a feeling that him and Casey would be spending a lot of time there since Casey was too pregnant for most of the rides. Next were the many places to buy food. Next were the few rides followed by shows and exhibits.
The four friends were at the fair for about an hour so far. Brent and Abby were on a ride. Casey couldn’t go on because of her pregnancy. Casey and Nick were sitting on a near by bench with their arms around each other. Soon Nick tensed. Casey looked at him. “What’s wrong Nick?”
“Jamie is here.”
Casey looked around and saw someone starring at Nick. Casey asked if that was Jamie. Nick nodded his approval. Casey continued to look at Jamie, then she gasped. “Oh my god.”
Nick looked at Casey again. “What?”
“He’s talking to my father.”
Color drained from both of their faces as they realized what the significance was. Brent and Abby came off the ride at that point. They became nervous when they saw their pale friends, fearfully holding on to each other. “What happened?” Brent asked.
Nick found his voice first. “Jamie is here.” Brent was shocked. Nick continued. “So is Casey’s father. It is obvious that they have been working together.” Brent and Abby became pale. “We need to get out of here and fast.”
They all nodded and began to make their way quickly to the entrance. As they were running, they noticed that Jim and Jamie were following them. They were terrified now. They couldn’t even speed up because of Casey’s pregnancy.
The entrance came into view and gave them a false sense of hope. They were almost out and their car wasn’t far from the entrance.
Their hope was slashed when Casey screamed. Her father was right in front of them.
“Hello Lindsay.”
Tears sprang to Casey’s eyes. “Why are you doing this to me?”
“You know what I did to your sister. Therefore you need to be taken care of. I can’t leave any live witnesses. He pulled out his gun and aimed at Casey. “Goodbye Lindsay.”
Nick knew that he wouldn’t be able to survive if he lost Casey the same way he lost Katie. As the gun went off he pushed Casey out of the way. Brent steadied her as the bullet hit Nick between the shoulders.
Casey ran to Nick as his body crumpled to the floor. Casey was crying over his body, trying to keep him awake.
Jamie watched the bullet hit Nick, and that made him angry. He couldn’t rape Nick again if he was dead. He pulled out his gun and fired it. The bullet hit Jim in the back of the head, killing him instantly. Security at the fair immediately detained Jamie, who was later arrested for rape, disturbing the peace and murder.
Casey heard the ambulance approaching. She continue at her attempt in keeping Nick awake.
Nick’s breathing was labored. “Make sure to take good care of the baby. I love you Casey.”
“Nick no! Stay with me.”
The ambulance arrived, and Nick lost consciousness.