- Text Size +
Monday morning. I love Monday’s because that means that there is a whole week ahead where the bulk of my day is not spent taking care of my parents. Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around? Aren’t they supposed to take care of me and Bri? There I go again, going off on another tangent.

So yeah, Monday mornings. My parents sleep off their hangovers, while Bri and I get ready for school. We have a nice breakfast together and then I drive her to school.

After dropping her off, I met a group of my friends at school. “Hey Linds! Rehearsal tonight?” Skylar, the lead guitarist in my band, greeted me when he first saw me.

“Yep.” By the way, my band’s name is Shanker. “Can’t wait. You know I look forward to rehearsals.” I replied. I saw my best friend Abby, who also happens to be dating Skylar walk up to us. “Rehearsals with you guys and school are my only escapes.” I mumbled mostly to myself. Low enough so that Skylar couldn’t hear me.

“Hey guys.” She gave me a quick hug then turned to her boyfriend and kissed him softly and sweetly.

“Why did you say that Linds?” Skylar asked after he broke away from Abby.

“Say what? What are you guys talking about?” Abby asked.

“Lindsay mumbled that rehearsals and school were her only escape. I want to know what she meant.”

Ok, maybe he did hear me. “I didn’t say anything like that.” I tried to deny it. Not quite sure if Skylar is buying it though. “We were talking about tonight’s rehearsal.” I replied.

“Cool. Can I come?”

“Sure baby. You are always welcome at our rehearsals.”

“Yeah Abby, what would a rehearsal be like without our favorite fan.”

“I know, but I don’t like to feel like I’m intruding. That’s why I always ask.”

“Abby, you are always welcome.”

We continued this way for a few minutes. Friendly teasing managed to make its way into our conversation. We enjoyed spending our time before school started talking. Our conversation was interrupted by the warning bell. We had 2 minutes to get to class.

Yes school is my escape. Too bad school is only 6 and ½ hours long. I was sitting in my last period class. I glanced at the clock and sighed inwardly. School was almost over which meant that soon I would have to go home. Thank god that I go to rehearsal straight from school so I still have a couple more hours of freedom. Too bad those few hours will fly by.

The dismissal bell rang and I stood with the rest of my class as we made our way out to our lockers. I met Skylar and Abby at my locker and we started off to Skylar’s house for the rehearsal. On the way we talked about various things.

We arrived at Skylar’s house and headed straight for the garage where all of our equipment is. The other band members hadn’t arrived yet. That gave the three of us to sit around and talk some more.

Without warning, the garage door flung open and in charged the rest of the band. They were hyper and bouncing off the wall. “Hey, hey. You guys ready.”

“Hey, our number one fan is here. What’s up Abby?”

“Not much.” Abby smiled shyly.

I took my spot behind the microphone as the rest of the band took their instruments. I warmed up my voice for a bit. Speaking into the microphone, I said. “Hey Abby, any requests?”

“Um…” Abby paused so that she could think. “I can’t decide between three.”

“Well, what three do you wanna hear? We’ll play all three.”

“Ok, first I want to hear ‘Jump Start’, second, um, ‘Destiny’ and third I want ‘Life.’”

“Ok. You heard the little lady.” Skylar said as the band started the introduction to ‘Jump Start.’

We started with Abby’s three requests and then we practiced and made fun of each other as only close friends can do.

Unfortunately, time flies when you are having fun and it was now time for me to go home. I slowly started to gather my things, trying to buy myself a little bit more of me time. I searched my backpack until I came across my camera. I love taking pictures.

To buy some time before I got home, I took random pictures on my way home. I got a picture of a young kid playing in his front yard with his puppy, a mother bird feeding her little one, kids flying a kite and some other random things that I encountered on my way home.

I should probably give you a little insight to what you see when you walk into my house via the front door. If you are standing in my doorway and looking into the house, you can see the top of the stairs.

I reached the front door of my house and opened it with my camera ready. I like to take pictures of the tranquility of my house when I first walk in because that’s the only time my house is peaceful. But today, the picture was anything but tranquil.

After I snapped the picture, I realized what I was immortalizing on film. I caught my father pushing my sister down the stairs. Well I saw him push her down the stairs, what I captured on film was him dragging her roughly by the hair.

I watched in horror as my sister came tumbling down the stairs. My mother stepped out of the kitchen when my sister was about half way down the stairs. I could tell that Bri was trying to stop the fall, but nothing could have stopped the momentum in which she was pushed.

She hit the bottom of the stairs, and a bone chilling crack was heard throughout the silent house. I quickly placed my school books and my camera on the floor by the door and rushed over to my sister.

“Bri, are you ok?” I looked her body over. She was lying in a very awkward position. It was then that I noticed her broken neck. With feeble hope, I checked for a pulse. There was nothing. My sister was dead. “BRIANNA…NOOO.”