- Text Size +
2 Years Later


Casey woke up disorientated. She couldn’t recognize her surroundings. As she woke up further, she recognized the room as her and Nick’s room in their new house. She could feel Nick holding her tightly. She snuggled into his warm embrace. He stirred and his eyes fluttered open. He smiled sleepily when his eyes locked with hers. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” She kissed him softly. “It’s still early. Go back to sleep.”

He shut his eyes and was asleep instantly. She smiled at the way he could fall asleep almost immediately after his eyes closed. She paid no attention to the fact that he was more asleep than awake just now. In his sleep, he tightened his hold on her. She smiled contently and fell into a peaceful sleep.

It felt like moments later, but was in fact hours later, when they were awoken by the bed shaking. “Casey, the bed is moving.” Nick mumbled groggily. His eyes still closed. There was a giggle. Nick opened 1 eye to find the reason why the bed was shaking. Their two-year-old twins were jumping on the bed. He groaned and pulled the sheets over his head. He wasn’t ready to wake up.

Casey grabbed Damien since he was the closest to her. He giggled as she pulled him down onto the bed. Casey got off the bed carrying Damien. She was about to grab Katie when Katie stopped jumping. She threw herself onto Nick’s body. He groaned from the unexpected impact. She giggled then rolled off of him. She found her way underneath the covers. He kept his eyes closed while Katie wiggled next to him in her attempts to get closer. “Dada wake.” He refused to open his eyes. He wasn’t ready to wake up. Katie started crying at her failed attempt to wake him up. Now he felt guilty and opened his eyes and pulled his young daughter to him. Her tears slowed as Nick cradled her. He kissed the top of her head when she was calm. Nick wasn’t paying attention to where Casey was but soon he felt Katie being lifted from his embrace. “Dada.”

Nick rolled over to see Casey holding Katie. “Honey, let’s let daddy sleep a little longer.”

“Ok mama.”

Casey placed Katie on the floor and she ran out of the room. Casey leaned over Nick and kissed him. “Thank you.” He said when he broke the kiss.

“For what?”

“Letting me sleep a little longer.”

“I’m only letting you sleep longer because you just got off tour yesterday. I can’t have you yawning on the altar tomorrow, now can I?”

“I love you.”

“I know you do. You wouldn’t be marrying me tomorrow if you didn’t. Now I better go make sure that our little devils aren’t getting into any trouble. You sleep.” Nick nodded and closed his eyes. Casey left the room as Nick went back to sleep.

A couple hours later, Nick woke up. He took a quick shower and got dressed. As soon as he was dressed, he made his way into the kitchen. Casey was putting lunch on the table as he walked in.

“Hey, I was just about to wake you up for lunch. Are you well rested now?”

“I’m still a little tired but don’t worry; I’ll be fine. I won’t be yawning on the altar tomorrow.”

She walked around the table and kissed him softly. “Can you believe that we are getting married tomorrow?”

“I’m glad it is tomorrow. I just want to get it over with.”

“What do you mean by that?” Casey was getting defensive.

“I’m so sorry baby. I didn’t mean that the way it came out. You know I’m horrible with words. I meant I just want to be with you, without the hustle and bustle that goes along with wedding plans, the wedding ceremony, and parties. I love you.”

“I love you too. I’m sorry I got defensive.”

“It’s ok.”

Nick and Casey sat down at the table. Katie slid off her chair and started to climb onto Nick’s chair. Nick helped her by picking her up and placing her on his lap.

“Katie sit in your own chair.”

“It’s ok Casey. I wouldn’t have put her on my lap if I had a problem with her sitting here. Nick only put food in his plate and fed Katie from his plate.

After lunch, Katie and Damien wanted to go outside and play. Casey went out with them while Nick stayed inside to clean up after lunch.

The table was clean and all the dishes were in the dishwasher. He was about to join his family outside. He glanced out the window and smiled at Casey playing with the twins. He smiled when he thought about spending the rest of his life with Casey, but then an overwhelming sense of nervousness washed over him. He didn’t understand it and he certainly didn’t like it. He picked up the phone and dialed Brian. “Hello?”

“Hi Brian.”

“Nick? What’s wrong?”

“Damn Bri, how did you know something was wrong?”

“I think I’ve known you long enough to recognize your voice when something is bothering you. Now what’s wrong?”

“Am I doing the right thing?”

“What do you mean?”

“Is marrying Casey the right thing to do?”

“Are you getting cold feet Nick?”

“No, it’s not that, it’s just, I don’t know.” He sighed in frustration.

“What happened Nick?”

“I don’t know. I was looking out the window at Casey playing with the twins and I got nervous.”

“It’s ok to be nervous.”

“I know, but sometimes I feel that Casey can do so much better than me. I guess I’m afraid she’ll find someone better and leave me.”

“Nick, you are too insecure for your own good. You need to stop putting yourself down. Casey loves you, so obviously you are good enough for her. Not to mention, she gave up her life to have and raise your children.”

“I know that, but I also know that I wouldn’t be able to handle if she left me.”

“Nick, you need to stop. Casey loves you and you two have a solid relationship. She’s not going to run off with some other guy. Now, I just think this started out as nervousness about tomorrow and the possibility of forgetting your vows and everything snowballed in your head making you paranoid about everything else. Relax Nick. You’ll be fine.”

“I don’t know.”

“Listen to me Nicky. Take a deep breath and calm down. You’ll be fine. You’ll see, once you get passed tomorrow things will go back to normal. After all, you are pretty much married already. Tomorrow just makes it official. Now hang up this phone and go outside and spend time with your family.”

“Ok.”

“You feel better now.”

“Yeah, thanks.”

“No problem. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Nick hung up the phone. He sat down at the kitchen table to calm himself down a bit. He didn’t hear the sliding door, leading to outside open. “Nick, what’s taking…” She stopped when she saw him sitting at the table with his head in his hands. She pulled a chair closer to him and placed her hand gently on his knee. “What’s wrong?”

He stayed quiet for a minute trying to figure out what to tell her. He figured that he might as well tell her the truth and not be caught in a lie. He lowered his hands, but wouldn’t look at her. “I’m nervous.”

“About tomorrow?”

“That and…” He let his voice trail off.

“And what?”

“I know I’m not good enough for you. I’m nervous that you’ll wake up one day and realize that and then leave me for someone better.”

She chuckled but then realized that he was serious and stopped. She placed her hand under his chin and made him look at her. “I thought you would be past that insecurity by now. You are perfect for me. I love you and I don’t plan on ever leaving you. It’s ok to be nervous about tomorrow, but you don’t have anything to worry about when it comes to me leaving you. I wouldn’t have had the twins if you weren’t good enough for me.” She made her way onto his lap and hugged him, resting her head on his shoulder.

“Brian said the same thing.”

She looked into his eyes. “He’s a smart man. You should listen to him. Now come on. Everything will be fine, so let’s go outside and play with our children.” She stood up and grabbed his hand. As soon as he was standing, they walked to the door holding hands. Right before they went outside, she kissed him. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” They kissed once more, and when they pulled back, they looked outside to see the twins starring at them from the other side of the door. They laughed lightly and went outside.

A little less than two hours later, they were still outside. Katie plopped down onto the ground. Nick saw that and bent down next to her. “What’s wrong teddy bear?”

“Seepy.” As if to prove her point, she yawned and rubbed at her eyes with her small fist.

Nick scooped her up. She rested her head on his shoulder and fell asleep. He walked over to Casey who was making sure Damien didn’t hurt himself while he was playing. “Is she ok?”

Nick looked at his sleeping daughter and smiled. “She’s asleep.”

“Oh. N.A.P. Time.”

“Yeah.”

As if on cue, Damien yawned. Casey picked him up and her and Nick carried the twins to their bed. Casey and Nick stood in the room in each other’s embrace for a few minutes just watching their children sleep. Soon, they left the room and closed the door partially behind them. “Do you want to take a nap too?”

“I guess. I wanted to go to Katie’s grave, but I guess I can do that later.”

“Go now; that way if you get back early enough, you can still nap.”

Nick nodded and kissed her. “I’ll be back soon.”

It was Casey’s turn to nod. Nick smiled briefly before turning around to leave the house.

Casey walked to the window just in time to see Nick get in his car and drive off. Casey walked to the bed and sat down on the bed. She looked around the room and her mind began to wander.

She became nervous about tomorrow when her thoughts strayed to her parents followed by thoughts of Nick’s parents. Her father was an alcoholic murderer and it was completely absurd to compare Nick to her father. But on the other hand, Nick’s parents could be considered the definition of dysfunctional. She rationalized that Nick had to suffer through that, so maybe he would do everything in his power to make sure they didn’t become his parents. It was with that somewhat comforting thought, that she fell asleep.
Meanwhile, Nick walked to Katie’s grave. “Hi Katie. I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve visited. Over 2 years to be exact. A lot has happened in that time. I got shot and nearly died. Also I’m a daddy now. I have a boy and girl. We named our daughter Kathryn after you. I’m getting married tomorrow. I’m kinda nervous. I also can’t help but think that you and I would be married for about 3 years now with a son or daughter of our own. I hope you don’t feel that I am betraying you.” A soft breeze rustled Nick’s hairs and he could feel Katie’s presence. He suddenly felt a sense of peace and he smiled. The wind gave him final closure from Katie’s’ death. It also seemed to blow away his nervousness. “Thank you Katie.”

About 20 minutes later, he entered his house. He first entered the twins’ room. He smiled at their sleeping forms. He kissed each of their heads. Then he left their room and entered his room. He climbed into bed next to Casey and pulled her close.

A couple hours later, Casey woke Nick up. Once his eyes were open she said. “Nicky, you need to wake up and get ready for dinner with Brent and Abby.

“Ok.” He stood up and pulled Casey close to him. “Why didn’t you wake me up when the twins got up?”

“You looked so peaceful. I didn’t want to disturb you. You start getting ready, I have to finish getting the kids ready.”

“I’ll help you get them ready. Then I’ll get ready.”

“Ok Nicky.”

Almost 2 hours later, Nick was standing in front of the mirror tying his tie when he heard a beep from outside. He walked to the window while finishing on his tie. The limo they rented for the night was there. Casey came out of the bathroom. She was wearing a very elegant, navy blue evening gown. Nick smiled when he saw her. “You are so beautiful.”

Casey smiled at him. “You don’t look so bad yourself.” She approached him and straightened his tie before kissing him.

“The limo is here.” She nodded and they left the room, took hold of their children’s hands and left for the restaurant.

After about a half hour, they arrived at the restaurant. They found Brent and Abby and greeted them. As soon as they were seated, a waiter came to ask what they wanted to drink.

Dinner went entirely too fast for Nick’s liking and soon he found himself saying goodbye to Casey for the night.

Nick watched Abby pull Casey away. He grabbed both Katie’s and Damien’s hands and led them to the waiting limo.

During the half-hour ride home, Katie and Damien were being silly. Nick smiled at their antics. Soon, the limo pulled up in front of the house. Nick ushered the twins into the house and up to his room and left them coloring while sitting on the floor. Nick entered the bathroom and quickly changed into a t-shirt and basketball shorts. He called Katie into the room and changed her into her pajamas. He called Damien next but before putting Damien’s pajamas on, he gave him a bath. When Damien was done, Nick called Katie in for her bath.

Once Nick finished bathing the twins, he had them help him put away the crayons and coloring books. As soon as everything was cleaned up, Nick led his children into the living room and put on Pooh’s Heffalump Movie. Father and children sat cuddled on the couch for the duration of the movie.

The movie ended and Nick stood up to take the movie out of the player. Once the movie was back where it belonged, Nick turned to the couch and said. “Ok. Bedtime.”

Katie was about to slide off the couch to go to Nick when Damien started screaming. “No bed.” Damien slid off the couch to the floor. He started kicking and screaming. Katie began to follow her brother’s lead, and slid off the couch and started to kick and scream as well. Nick groaned in frustration.

He stepped over Damien and picked Katie up off the floor. She was kicking against his side. As soon as he had Katie out of the room, she calmed down. “You were only carrying on like that because your brother was. Weren’t you?” She smiled at her father and rested her head on Nick’s shoulder. Nick kissed the top of her head as he entered the bedroom. He laid her in her bed and covered her with her blanket. He sang her to sleep. As soon as she was asleep, he kissed her forehead and left the room.

He walked back to the living room where Damien was still screaming. Nick sat on the couch and watched Damien scream.

About 5 minutes later, Damien rolled over thinking he won. Nick stood up and scooped up Damien. Damien saw where Nick was heading. “Dada, I not tired.” Damien yawned and rubbed his eyes with his fists as Nick entered the bedroom.

Nick gently placed Damien’s head on his shoulder. Damien went out like a light. Nick smiled. “Yeah, you’re not tired.” He tucked Damien in. He watched them sleep for a few minutes before shutting the light and heading to his room.

He entered his room and stripped down to his boxers. It’s been over 2 years since he last slept in a bed by himself. This caused him to struggle to find a position comfortable enough to sleep in.

When he did finally fall asleep, he was woken up by Katie screaming. He bolted out of bed and to their bedroom. When he got there, he saw Katie screaming because Damien was throwing up and convulsing. Nick rushed over and shielded Katie from what she was witnessing and called an ambulance.

The ambulance arrived and Damien was loaded in. Carrying Katie, Nick jumped in behind the paramedics. Nick was in shock. He couldn’t believe this was happening. He didn’t even notice the paramedic approach him until he was right in front of Nick. Nick held his breath when he saw the paramedic. “Your son has been poisoned.”

“What?”

“I’m sorry. His stomach will have to be pumped.”

They arrived at the hospital. Nick was forced to sit in the waiting room. He called Brent and explained what happened. Brent promised that he’d be there with the girls soon. As Nick was sitting in the waiting room, Katie started convulsing, and then she started to throw up. The nurse saw this and rushed over, taking Katie out of Nick’s grasp. Nick’s strong resolve broke, and he started crying. Before Brent and Abby arrived with Casey Nick fell asleep.

A ringing woke Nick up with a start. It took him a few minutes to take in his surroundings. He was sitting up in his bed, with a layer of cold sweat on his skin. He realized the ringing was the phone. He reached over and grabbed it. With a shaking hand he held the phone up to his ear. “Hello?” His voice was anything but steady.

Casey frowned in confusion. He sounded weird. “What’s wrong Nick?”

“It felt so real.” He said more to himself. He wasn’t registering that he was talking on the phone.

“What felt real? Nick, what’s wrong? You’re scaring me.”

“The twins.”

“What’s wrong with the twins?” Now Casey was getting really scared. Was something wrong with her children?

Nick didn’t respond to her question. He had dropped the phone on the bed right after mentioning the twins and ran out of the room. He opened their bedroom door. He sighed in relief when he saw their angelic faces sleeping peacefully. To give him a better frame of mind, he walked to each bed and felt for a fever. He kissed each of their heads and walked back out of the room. He entered his room and sat on the bed, forgetting about the phone lying next to him.

Well, he forgot about the phone until he heard, “NICKOLAS ANSWER ME.”

He picked up the phone. “I’m sorry.”

Casey felt reassured after hearing his voice sound a lot more normal than when he answered. “Nick, what’s wrong with the twins?”

“Nothing. They’re fine.”

“Then what was wrong when I called.”

“I just had a horrible dream that’s all.”

“About what?”

“The twins were poisoned.”

“Poisoned? No wonder you sounded completely freaked when you answered the phone.”

“Yeah.”

If he woke up from a horrible dream, that means she woke him up by calling. “Oh Nick. I’m sorry.”

“I’m confused. Why are you apologizing?”

“I woke you up.”

“Trust me. I’m glad you called and woke me up. I’d rather be talking to you than continuing that dream.”

“I wish I were there.”

“I wish you were here too. Hey, let’s run away and elope.”

She laughed out loud, then quieted herself. “Nicky, we are getting married tomorrow.”

“I know, but if we eloped, we’d be together tonight.”

She giggled. “Wait, a minute, you are kidding, right?”

Now it was Nick’s turn to laugh. “Of course I’m kidding. As much as I want to be with you tonight and to already be your husband, I value my life. I know that someone would come after me if I were to break the wedding plans. Honestly, I want to live long enough to be your husband.”

“You’re so silly.”

“Only around you. It would ruin my tough guy image to be silly around other people.”

“Oh Nick. You are too much. What am I going to do with you?”

“Hopefully love me forever.”

“Of course I will.”

Nick looked up when he heard his bedroom door open. Katie was standing there clutching her stuffed animal tightly looking like she was ready to burst into tears. “Hold on Casey.” He placed the phone on the bed. “Come here Katie.”

She ran to him and climbed on the bed. She threw herself into Nick’s lap. “Dada, is mama coming back.”

Nick cradled her and kissed the top of her head. “Of course she is teddy bear.” He picked up the phone. “Casey, talk to Katie.” He handed Katie the phone. “It’s mommy.”

“Mama?”

“Hi Katie. What are you doing awake?”

“I scared.”

“You’re scared? How can you be scared when you’re sitting on daddy’s lap with daddy playing with your hair?”

“Mama not here.”

“You’ll see me tomorrow. You know that.”

“But why can’t mama be here now?”

“Mommy’s staying at a friend’s house tonight. I haven’t seen her in awhile.”

“Ok, mama.”

“Are you being a good girl for daddy?”

“Yes I am.” She turns to Nick. “Right dada?”

“I don’t know what I’m saying “right” to so, I can’t answer you.” Nick tickled Katie’s side. Katie began giggling into the phone.

“Is daddy tickling you honey?”

“Yes.” She continues to giggle.

“Can you put daddy back on the phone?”

“Ok mama. Love you.”

“I love you too honey.”

Katie handed the phone back to Nick. “So what did you ask before she wanted me to agree?”

“I asked if she was being a good girl.”

“Oh, yeah she is. She’s beginning to look sleepy again.”

“I’ll let you go then Nick. I love you.”

“I love you too.” Nick hung up the phone. “So Katie, where do you want to sleep?”

“With dada.” Nick smiled before grabbing Katie and getting in bed. Soon they were both asleep.

The next morning, Brent arrived at the Carter house. He let himself in and made his way up to Nick’s bedroom. He opened the door and smiled when he saw Nick cradling Katie’s small body. Brent approached the bed and shook Nick awake. When Nick finally responded and woke up, Brent said, “Does Casey know that you slept with a cute blonde?”

Nick looked at Katie still sound asleep in his arms. “I think Casey suspects it.”

Brent smiled. “Well it’s time to get you and the twins ready for your wedding. So get out of bed.”

“You’re so nice Brent. But honestly, I don’t think you’ll be much help when it comes to helping me get the twins ready.” He got out of bed. “Does Abby know how much of a spaz you are when it comes to babies?”

“Not yet. But it’s not like she’s pregnant. So I don’t have to worry about telling her.”

“Just so you know, there’s no need for you to be here.”

“I came to help you.”

“Well, there’s no way I’m trusting you to dress my children. So what are you going to do? Help me dress myself? I don’t think so.”

“You know, you are awfully calm for someone getting married.”

“Yeah, unlike some people I know.”

“What’s that supposed to mean Nick?”

“Oh gee, I wonder. You nearly threw up you were so nervous.”

“Did you have to remind me of that?”

“Absolutely. Just be thankful you didn’t throw up during the ceremony.” Nick had the children awake and was getting food for them. After they ate, Nick dressed them. Once they were dressed, Nick said to Brent, “Make yourself useful and watch them while I take a shower.”

“I thought you said I was a spaz when it comes to kids.”

“You are, but they need to stay clean while I take a shower and get dressed. And besides, my father should be getting here momentarily.” The doorbell rang and Nick smiled at the timing. He went to the door and greeted his father. “Perfect timing Dad. Now someone who knows how to handle children can watch the twins while I shower.”

Nick turned and practically skipped out of the room. Bob looked after his son in amusement. “He’s awfully hyper isn’t he?”

Nick heard his father’s comment. “I’M GETTING MARRIED.” He screamed excitedly then left the room to shower.

Brent and Bob started laughing. “He sure as hell isn’t nervous.” Bob commented.

“Not at all.”

The rest of the morning preparations went by in a blur and soon everyone found themselves on the beach, waiting for the ceremony to start. Katie and Damien were sitting with Nick’s father.

After what seemed like forever to those seated, Nick took his place by the altar with Brent by his side. Katie clapped excitedly when she saw her father. She wiggled out of Bob’s grasp and ran to Nick. Bob couldn’t catch her in time. When she got to Nick, he didn’t hesitate to scoop her into his arms. He held her as he waited for the ceremony to begin.

Soon Casey began walking down the aisle with Abby’s father. Katie, who was still in Nick’s arms, said, “Mama pretty.”

Nick laughed lightly. “No, she’s beautiful.” Nick’s eyes locked with Casey.

They broke their gaze when Damien saw Casey and ran to her. Everyone broke out laughing, bride and groom included.

When Casey reached Nick, he put Katie down and took hold of Casey’s hand. Katie clung to Nick’s leg as Damien clung to Casey.

Nick and Casey exchanged their vows and Nick was told to kiss his bride. They broke apart. Nick picked up Katie and Casey picked up Damien

The pastor said, “I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Nickolas Gene Carter,” he then saw the twins in their parent’s arms and added, “and children.”

The reception flew by and soon Nick and Casey found themselves cuddled up on their bed for the first time as husband and wife. They were very content just cuddling and kissing softly. Wedding days, although wonderful and joyous, are draining, and then add in a set of toddler twins, you’d understand why they were content to just cuddle and kiss. They both thought, sleep now, consummate marriage later.

As they were falling asleep, Casey jumped out of bed. Nick sat up and looked at her worriedly. “Casey, baby is something wrong?”

Casey turned to Nick with a piece of paper flat against her chest. “Nothings wrong. I just almost forgot to give you something.” Casey climbed back into bed next to Nick. “Here.”

Nick took the paper from Casey. “What is this?”

“Read it.”

Nick looked down at the paper and read what was on it.

I play the part of an every day teen
Nobody can really see that it’s not who I am
My friends talk happily about their families
I listen in envy; my family just isn’t like that
My sister is the only happy part of my family
What I wouldn’t give to be loved for me?

My parents don’t do anything with me or my sister
They don’t even eat meals with us.
I make the meals, and clean
My mom acts like she’s a queen; my dad is never sober
He is aggressive and abusive
My parents sure don’t love me for me.

I dream of getting away from here. I dream of meeting the perfect man.
Even though there is no such thing as a perfect man, I want my perfect man
To love me and help my unhappiness melt away

I have no way of getting out, I’m only seventeen
Even if I could, how would I live?
I’m determined to get away, to lead a better life
My family is so uncertain and unloving
I fear what I will find when I enter the house
Is it too much to ask for to have someone love me for me?


Now Nick was even more confused. “Casey?”

Casey gently took the paper from Nick and placed it on his bedside table. She climbed over him and straddled him. She looked at him with love pouring out of her eyes. “I wrote that when I was seventeen, before I met you, and my life was a mess. I’m giving it to you because I don’t need it anymore. I found my perfect man.”

Nick smiled and kissed Casey. They broke apart and went back to their lying down position. “I love you Casey.”

“I love you Nick.” They fell asleep in each other’s arms.

The next morning, before doing anything else, they made sure to spend enough time together alone to consummate their marriage. They cleaned themselves up and then went to get the twins ready for their trip. Nick and Casey were taking the twins to England with them for their honeymoon.

Hours later, they checked into their hotel suite. The suite was luxurious. It had a large sitting area, a kitchen, complete with working stove and an eating area, and two bedrooms. 1 bedroom had a king size bed and the other room had 2 twin size beds for the twins.

The first day of their honeymoon, they didn’t do anything but relax. It was a couple days into their honeymoon when Nick was beginning to become really worried about Casey. She seemed to be always throwing up. She returned from the bathroom and Nick gave her a worried expression. “Casey, are you ok?”

“I’m perfect, why wouldn’t I be ok?”

“You’ve been throwing up and it’s starting to worry me.”

“Oh that.” She brushed it off, then stopped to think. “Oh that’s right. You don’t know.” She rushed off to her suitcase.

Nick looked even more confused. “I don’t know what?” He watched Casey go from bag to bag looking for something. “Casey, what’s going on? You’re acting like a crazy person.”

She found what she was looking for and turned to face Nick with a bright smile on her face. She walked briskly over to him and sat beside him on the bed. She handed him a pretty large envelope.

Nick opened the envelope and looked at the contents. “Is this what I think it is?”

“What do you think it is?” The bright smile never left Casey’s face.

“It looks like results from a doctor’s pregnancy test.” Nick looked up at Casey and she was looking at him softly. “You’re…”

Casey began nodding eagerly. “That’s right Nicky. I’m pregnant. You’re going to be a daddy again.”

Nick pulled her closer and kissed her passionately. They fell onto the bed and celebrated their new marriage and the new baby.