- Text Size +
It’s been 6 months since my father killed Brianna. I have been living with Abby ever since then. I haven’t seen my parents since then. But you know what? I don’t miss them. I miss Brianna. I was never a bright person, and I don’t mean bright as intelligent. I mean it as in the colors I liked. Ever since Brianna’s death, I’ve gotten more into black and other such dark colors.

I was sitting in my room when my door flung open. A very excited Abby ran into my room. “I GOT IT. I GOT IT.”

“You got what?”

“The contest. I won the contest.”

“What contest?”

“Duh, don’t you remember? I’m gonna meet Nick Carter. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.”

Flashback
Abby and I were in the mall. As we walked past a display in the music store, Abby stopped short. “What is it Abby?”

“It’s a sweepstakes.”

“Ok, but why are we stopping?”

“Because it’s a sweepstakes to win tickets to Nick Carter’s concert and to spend a week with Nick.”

“Nick who?”

“Nick Carter. You know the sexiest Backstreet Boy. When the group decided not to record, he went out on his own.”

“Backstreet Boys? You still listen to that crap?”

“It’s not crap. It’s good music.”

“Have you turned teeny on me?”

“No. I’ve always like the Backstreet Boys. But Nick has always been my favorite. I have to enter this contest.”

“I thought you’d be past this. I can’t believe you didn’t grow out of your Backstreet fascination.”

“I happen to like their music.”

“But that doesn’t mean you have to enter every contest.”

“Lindsay, I’m entering this contest, and you can’t stop me. It’s a possible chance to meet Nick Carter. I can’t pass up any possible way of meeting him.”

“Fine, enter the contest but make it fast.”
End Flashback


“Lindsay, you have to come with me.”

“Go with you? Hell no.”

“Why not?”

“Because, I can’t stand that teeny bopper music.”

“Then don’t do it for the music. Do it for me. Your best friend. Please pretty please.” Abby started begging and gave me the puppy dog eyes.

“Fine. I’ll go, but you can’t expect me to enjoy this.”

“We can turn it into a summer road trip before our senior year of high school. It’ll be fun.”

“Except for the week that we have to spend with Nick.”

“No. That’s where you are mistaken. That will be the BEST week.”

“According to you. Sorry but I won’t enjoy spending time with an egotistical pop star.”

A couple weeks later we were packing my car for our road trip. After my car was loaded, we went inside and had one last meal, before our trip, with her family. I could tell that Abby was excited. She was talking a mile a minute and practically bouncing in her seat.

After the meal, we threw our last minute stuff in the car and we were off.

We had a week to get from upstate New York to Tampa Florida, where the concert was. If you drive straight threw from our area to Florida, with only stopping for sleep and other necessities it takes about two days. So we stopped at every tourist trap on the way down.

We spent a lot of time and money at amusement parks. We hit some of the best malls on the east coast. That was strictly Abby’s plan not mine. Abby kept saying how much she needed new clothes to look good for Nick. She’s my best friend, I love her, but sometimes she makes me want to vomit.

The closer we got to the day of the concert, and Tampa, the more I heard about Nick. Nick Carter this… Nick Carter that… Even if I tried to deter the conversation from him, she always brought it back. Saying things like, ‘Did you know that Nick Carter, blah blah blah.

Right now we are in Orlando. I had to get away from Abby and her excessive talk about Nick Carter. I left Abby in the hotel and I went out exploring. I found a few things that I enjoyed doing, and I had fun doing it. As I was about to head back to the hotel, a certain building caught my eye. I walked into the building and walked out a new woman, literally.

I headed back to the hotel. Abby was waiting patiently for me. She was getting bored. She had no one to bother with Nick comments. I walked into the room and she jumped up. “Oh goody, you’re back.”

“Yep I’m back.”

We were doing our own thing for a couple minutes. Then she started talking about Nick again. I sighed inwardly and rolled my eyes. The closer it got to meeting him, the more annoyed I got that I agreed to do this. Then she completely changed her train of thought. That’s another sign that she’s excited. She’ll randomly decide to change a topic. Then she said. “Hey Lindsay, do you want to go out for dinner instead of horrible hotel room service?”

“Sure. But my name is not Lindsay.”

“What? Of course it is. What silliness are you talking about?”

“I had it changed. Lindsay Shybell doesn’t exist any more. My name is now Casey Moreno.”

“I don’t understand. Why did you change it?”

“Shybell is my father’s last name and my parents named me Lindsay. I want nothing more to do with them, so I had my name changed. Now I have no name that my parents bestowed on me.”

Abby was in shock. “How about we go get that food now?” We left to get food and out of nowhere Abby said. “How the hell am I going to get used to calling you Casey. I’ve known you since we were in diapers and you’ve always been Lindsay? I’m never going to be able to call you Casey.”

“Well you better learn, because Casey is my name now.”