- Text Size +
Chapter 1

"Family is the first social unit for developing the qualities of the heart"- Howard Martin

"Sometimes I think that If my head wasn't attached to my body I'd lose my mind." Dani sighed as she moved around the kitchen of her Florida home. The clock read 6:51 on the dot and she wiped her hands on her apron. "Haley hurry up hon or your going to be late." She called and not longer then a second a little girl made her way down the stairs and to her mother.

"Mommy! Look what I made for you." Dani smiled and admired the picture her daughter had made. "Do you like it?"

"I love it." Haley beamed proudly.

"I drew you, me, daddy and my brother." She added pointing to the oversized stomach drawn on Dani, who couldn't help but laugh.

"That's wonderful sweets...and I'll put it right here." Dani placed the picture on the frig next to all of Haley's other masterpieces. "Now young lady it's time for school."

"Aww do I have to go? Tommy is going to be there and he likes to pull on my pigtails."

"Well, you know that that means don't you?" Dani lead the small child out to the school bus which was already loading kids.

"He's a big meany and Mrs. Tomes should put him in timeout."

"Maybe so," she smiled and waved to the bus driver. "But I think," She stopped and became eye level with Haley. "That he likes you."

"Eww Mommy." Haley's face showed nothing but disgust. "I'd rather eat snails."

"Oh really now?" Dani laughed. "Off you go." Haley kissed her mom bye as she made her way up the stairs to find a seat next to her friend Hanna. "Bye." Dani called as the bus pulled off. After they where out of sight Dani started back towards the house. Along the way she stopped in her backyard and decided to check in on her green house. She smiled as she picked a few daises that she and Haley had planted a few months ago.

"You really shouldn't be out here alone you know?"

"Yes, I know." She replied without turning around. "I really didn't see the harm in picking up a few flowers to lighten the house."

"You could have asked me to do it for you, you know I don't mind."

"I know you don't." She turned to face her husband of nine years. "But your allergic and I don't think your clients would be to happy with me if I took their contractor out of work because of a few flowers." She smiled.

"I see your point but with all jokes aside I really want you to come inside with me." Alex sighed and his eyes fell to her stomach. "I want both of you to come inside with me and take it easy."

"Hun you might forget but when you leave I'll be alone and I'll have to do things on my own any ways."

"Yes, much against my opinion. If I had my way I'd watch you...I just want to look out for my family."

"You are and you can't monitor me so calm yourself." She laughed causing Alex to frown. She knew what he would say next and wanted nothing more but to say the words to calm him and that's what she did. "If I need anything I'll call you." She whispered and pulled him in for a hug.

"Anything at all?"

"Anything at all."

"Even if it's something off the wall." He laughed a bit. "Like last week." He pulled back to look her in the eye.

"Hey, I never in my life have wanted cookie dough the way I did last week."

"With crackers though." They laughed and he helped her back into the house and to the downstairs bedroom. "I really don't want to leave you."

"We go through this everyday."

"But I think I'm getting better at it." He laughed and looked at his watch. "It only took me five minutes to get you back in the house."

"That was mild work the other days, if you could even call that work." Alex silenced her with a kiss. "I hate it when you do that. Makes me feel like agreeing to anything."

"My dear after nine years of blissful marriage you'd think you would be able to fend me off."

"Yes, but it's not like I want to." Dani smirked and pulled Alex to her by his tie. "Kiss me." Their lips met in a quick but longing kiss.

"See, it's kiss' like that," He paused to kiss her again. "That are going to get you in trouble."

"Or another kid."

"Which ever comes first." He laughed and pulled himself off the bed. "What time will Cathryn be here?" He asked, fixing his tie.

"She should be here around ten, I have to see Dr. Samson at eleven." She sighed. "Since our old Doctor left we've been transferred to Dr. Samson." She rubbed her stomach.

"I wish I could be there but.."

"I know." She cut him off. "It's no biggie. Cathryn was more then happy to take me."

"Well, I'll be home around six or so. Kevin and I have to work on plans for the new Villa homes on Chasire Road."

"Sounds like fun."

"Loads." Alex rolled his eyes and gave a quick good-bye to his wife before heading out the door. Dani sighed and picked up her discarded baby book from last night. Flipping through the pages her eyes rested upon the room they had picked for Joey. It was decorated in baby blues. soft greens and a light dusting white. Dani smiled to herself as she felt Joey kick.

"I was hoping you'd like it." Dani sighed and closed the book as the doorbell sounded. "I'm coming." She called as she made her way to the front door to find Cathryn. "Your early."

"Yeah well Kevin just took off to work and I thought I'd just come right over." Cathryn mused and Dani moved aside to let her in. She laid herself across the couch to get comfortable. "How are you feeling?"

"Pregnant." Dani laughed.

"Very funny. But all jokes aside how are you?"

"I can't complain, though I haven't told Alex about wanting to return to teaching after I give birth."

"Why? Don't think he'll take it well? You love to teach, I'm sure he understands that."

"Yes, I know but the real issue would be finding the right nanny."

"True, very true." Cathryn smiled and checked her watch. "We better get a move on to the Doctors, traffic will be murder in a few."